• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Citizen Pre-Alpha: Hangar Module

Mudcrab

GAH! I'm sitting here looking at the 300 series page and can't decide whether to keep my 325A or upgrade to a 350R.

Any opinions?

Mindlog

I've already spent several K... and I want to spend more
Can't remember all the names, but I believe there are four Idris owners on GAF.
http://cdn.techinasia.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/chinese-train-time-travel-315x223.jpg

No stopping it.
That one caught me by surprise. Got a good chuckle out of it.
Pretty sure he was addressing people who are worried about CIG pulling a Diablo III here.
One of the extraordinarily rare instances where streamlining actually made it a better game.

Twenty eight million crowd funded dollars.
Welcome back, space!

XEROWUN

Neo Member
You can buy the insurance with in game money, right?

yup, and in the end, the LTI we are getting is for basic coverage (called hull insurance) if you really want to protect your ship, people with LTI will be buying upgrade and cargo insurance to replace it anyways. but LTI SOUNDS sexy if anything.

Tommyhawk

The 28 Mio. $ Update:

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/13382-Letter-From-The-Chairman-28-Million

The Origin 890 sounds pretty exciting:

Origin 890 JUMP – The rumors are true: Origin Jumpworks has a larger ship in the works!
The Origin 890 JUMP is an interstellar super-yacht with exquisite styling and an array of high quality upgrade options.
Travel the stars in style with multiple decks, high visibility windows and a small boat bay.
Whether you’re outfitting it to explore new worlds or to take a pleasure cruise through Terra, the 890 JUMP is the epitome of luxury, class and refinement!

Daedardus

Origin 890 JUMP – The rumors are true: Origin Jumpworks has a larger ship in the works!
The Origin 890 JUMP is an interstellar super-yacht with exquisite styling and an array of high quality upgrade options.
Travel the stars in style with multiple decks, high visibility windows and a small boat bay.
Whether you’re outfitting it to explore new worlds or to take a pleasure cruise through Terra, the 890 JUMP is the epitome of luxury, class and refinement!

The ultimate goal for me in SC.

Zabojnik

GAH! I'm sitting here looking at the 300 series page and can't decide whether to keep my 325A or upgrade to a 350R.

Any opinions?

Hmmm. What's the difference in price, again? I'd say get the 350R only if you're (or think you might be) into racing. Otherwise, keep the 325A. I'm sure you could use the 350R for a number of jobs, but I kinda like the idea of having highly specalized ships.

Choose mining in the poll guys! a mining ship is what i've been wanting

I will, if you can tell five ideas on how to make mining interesting. :p

The ultimate goal for me in SC.

SpaceYacht.jpg

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
The 28 Mio. $ Update:

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/13382-Letter-From-The-Chairman-28-Million

300 series is the most stylish ship and we get a bigger version? With more luxury and badass?

I dont even know hit it looks like and i already want it. Would trade in my freelancer for it, probably. :/

Mudcrab

Hmmm. What's the difference in price, again? I'd say get the 350R only if you're (or think you might be) into racing. Otherwise, keep the 325A. I'm sure you could use the 350R for a number of jobs, but I kinda like the idea of having highly specalized ships.

I'm not all that interested in racing but I like the idea of playing an interceptor role. Chasing down fleeing ships or outrunning heavy enemies is something I had fun with in EvE. The 325A seems like a dog-fighter type deal which I also like the sound of especially with that weapons loadout. The difference in cost is an extra $30 for the 350R.

Decisions decisions.

Daedardus

300 series is the most stylish ship and we get a bigger version? With more luxury and badass?

I dont even know hit it looks like and i already want it. Would trade in my freelancer for it, probably. :/

I guess the price will probably be something like Constellation territory, both in-game and as a pledge.
http://images.wikia.com/wikiality/images/d/d3/SpaceYacht.jpg

Omg, lol. Was more thinking of this though:
O3FnkfK.jpg

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness

I look forward to the brochure for this one. Wonder if "a small boat" is referring to another mini-fighter like in the constellation, or it's literally a small boat and they're talking about landing and cruising around in the water.

Mindlog

I'm not all that interested in racing but I like the idea of playing an interceptor role. Chasing down fleeing ships or outrunning heavy enemies is something I had fun with in EvE. The 325A seems like a dog-fighter type deal which I also like the sound of especially with that weapons loadout. The difference in cost is an extra $30 for the 350R.

Decisions decisions.
For the exact application I would go 350R. I've been debating trading in my M50 for a 350R, but I'm leaning towards sticking with an M50 for now. M50 is faster stock, but not as fast when 350R goes after-market. The 350R had more upgrades available and some stealth capability. A speedy stealth boat would make for a great interceptor.

Then again M50 and 350R both have very little in the way of firepower. They're probably less interceptor and more reconnaissance.

Also Lightspeed package comes with a racing suit. So there's that.

I voted mining since we haven't had anything dedicated to that yet.

...probably mostly due to nostalgia from bullshitting on voice chats while we sat around doing "exciting" mining ops in EVE. (That game was really just a glorified chatroom that stole my money.)

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
Mining. I've got the Starfarer already so I imagine I would be able to slap a mining module in there.

With the fact that information runner's on there, I'm guessing that they have something like that planned already which will work well with my 350r. (that one got a mention as a high speed stealth vessel for covert stuff a while ago)

JoseJX

I'm definitely getting an 890, space yacht? Absolutely.

Also, I hate to be spammy, but the 350r is $100 for original backers and $120 for the Lightspeed package. If anyone wants them, I'd be happy to help people get them, send me a PM.

MrBig

I'm liking the new stretch goal format, commemorating the achievement and involving the community in future developments rather than parading one specific thing as the object of each million. It was appropriate during the initial funding, but now that the game is paid for they're just doing whatever needs to be done with the money. That last stretch goal with the changed beginning really bothered me because of that, felt like it was just empty filler.

samjaza

i got an original m50, Freelancer and Hornet FA/C-M.
I think that's about it for me, i will get an upgrade for the freelancer when it comes around, and if there is one for the m50 as well i might get that.

phoenixyz

Well hell, I might have to do that and put $5 towards something. Already have 4 ships though, only one I would melt would be my LX, and that's only a few bucks too.

Edit: Bounty Hunter shows as $65 for me, no advantage. :(
Sorry dude, didn't think that it might be more expensive for non-original backers. Good to know though.

Yo what? You can overclock ship systems to get better performance? o_O

Yes! Or more specifically, we can overclock modules equipped to the ship such as weapons, thrusters, etc. This is done at a workbench in the hangar (purchased through Voyager Direct now or in game later). Every individual module has different overclock potential, and overclocking will cause it to consume more power and produce more heat.

There was also mention of overclocking on the fly in one of the stories, then again that was an AI doing it so we mere mortals may only be able to overclock in the hangar.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Yes! Or more specifically, we can overclock modules equipped to the ship such as weapons, thrusters, etc. This is done at a workbench in the hangar (purchased through Voyager Direct now or in game later). Every individual module has different overclock potential, and overclocking will cause it to consume more power and produce more heat.

There was also mention of overclocking on the fly in one of the stories, then again that was an AI doing it so we mere mortals may only be able to overclock in the hangar.

This game is where my life ends

Durante

That is awesome.

Daedardus

Wait, Durante visits this thread? I thought he was obvilious to space sims :p.

In other news, the Caterpillar isn't doing the magical numbers like the 350R did, but then again the base price is quite steeper and the sales aren't exactly slobby.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
As I read more about this game I get more excited and worried at the same time lol. Like, who is working on the FPS segments of the game? It has to be good for it to be worth it. I also just found out about zero-g combat.

Side note, the death mechanic sounds pretty sick

Every “death” creates wear and tear on your body. Depending on where you were hit and how you died, your character may require a new body part, which can either be cybernetic or organic. Eventually after too many deaths, your character’s body will just give out, and instead of waking up in a med bay, you’ll be attending the funeral of your fallen character from the eyes of the beneficiary you specified when originally creating your character. If your old character has done something noteworthy (akin to an in-game achievement), his headstone might read “Here lies Chris, discover of the Orion 2 jump point, slayer of the Dread Pirate Roberts, and a Citizen of the First Order.”

Sick life

MrBig

who is working on the FPS segments of the game? It has to be good for it to be worth it. I also just found out about zero-g combat.

Behavior Interactive founded a new studio up in Canada to work on content for planetside/FPS stuff, along with Void Alpha in california. Both teams are being directed by CIG of course, and the technical FPS mechanics are mostly already built in to the engine from crysis 3

KKRT00

So, its like EVE Online, but You can additionally tweak it in the hangar. Nice :)

Daedardus

Behavior Interactive founded a new studio up in Canada to work on content for planetside/FPS stuff, along with Void Alpha in california. Both teams are being directed by CIG of course, and the technical FPS mechanics are mostly already built in to the engine from crysis 3

Behaviour's track record is not the best though. I'm a bit worried as to why they chose a company with zero experience on FPS. They are probably cheap, but then again, wasn't this going to be the BESTSPACESIMEVERRRR. They don't need to hire the biggest FPS studio, but something better than Doritos Crash Course 2 and Happy Feet would be nice.

MrBig

Behaviour's track record is not the best though. I'm a bit worried as to why they chose a company with zero experience on FPS. They are probably cheap, but then again, wasn't this going to be the BESTSPACESIMEVERRRR. They don't need to hire the biggest FPS studio, but something better than Doritos Crash Course 2 and Happy Feet would be nice.

As I understand it they set up a new studio with new artists just for SC, and that CIG is in full control of design, essentially just making BI an art content production house in this context, which I'm not worried about as I'm quite sure they can keep the quality in line with the rest of the game. BI's past projects have apparently just been them doing whatever content production that can for money, but they kept getting handed terrible shit which lead to them continuing to be handed more terrible shit. Them doing a good job on SC could really be good for their future.

They don't need to have FPS experience, all the FPS mechanics come directly from CryEngine itself. What CIG is using these studios for is stuff such as environment design (specifically, planet-side environments), weapon design, etc. Considering there'll be around 100 systems and 400 landing spots in total across those systems... That's a lot of work to be done, more than they could do "in-house". The implementation of new mechanics into the engine itself is all being done in Austin, but little new should even need to be done for the FPS stuff due to the CryEngine pedigree.

Zabojnik

Just a heads up, in case anyone regrets not buying it when it was available a while back ...

UPDATE: Due to popular demand, the Super Hornet will be offered over the weekend alongside the Anvil Gladiator and Aegis Retaliator.

Durante

Wait, Durante visits this thread? I thought he was obvilious to space sims :p.
Where would you get that idea? I'm an original backer.

I'm still extremely doubtful as to their ability to deliver everything they promise, but even if they just manage half of it it would be a huge success.

XEROWUN

Neo Member
If you haven't already TODAY is the BEST day to get into Star Citizen.

For 45 bucks you get multiplayer only(the persistent universe), alpha and beta access, and the starter ship with Lifetime warranty.

but wait there is more! For 10 bucks more, 55 bucks, you get single player (squadron 42), and multiplayer (the persistent universe), alpha and beta access, and the starter ship with Lifetime warranty.

MrBig

If you haven't already TODAY is the BEST day to get into Star Citizen.

For 45 bucks you get multiplayer only(the persistent universe), alpha and beta access, and the starter ship with Lifetime warranty.

but wait there is more! For 10 bucks more, 55 bucks, you get single player (squadron 42), and multiplayer (the persistent universe), alpha and beta access, and the starter ship with Lifetime warranty.

It would be a better deal to just get the $40 aurora w/ the full game (PU and SQ42) package sans LTI...
e: unless they're raising the prices after this sale, but I didn't read anything about that.

Top Bottom