• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Citizen Pre-Alpha: Hangar Module

MrBig

Are upgrades covered under LTI, or do you lose the upgrade if your ship blows up?

I really have no idea how much I'll get into this... but I almost feel like I should get on the LTI bandwagon before it's gone forever. lol

LTI is only basic insurance, you'll get a factory-spec hull if your ship is destroyed in covered areas, and it can be revoked if you commit insurance fraud (purposefully damaging the ship or illegally sell it etc). You'll have to use UEC to get insurance that covers any upgrades, cargo, or operations under dangerous conditions.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
LTI is only basic insurance, you'll get a factory-spec hull if your ship is destroyed in covered areas, and it can be revoked if you commit insurance fraud (purposefully damaging the ship or illegally sell it etc). You'll have to use UEC to get insurance that covers any upgrades, cargo, or operations under dangerous conditions.
So... if you buy the 325a package, does insurance give you a new 325a? Or just a new 300i?

firehawk12

Subete no aware
A 325a, everything that is included with the ship as it comes from the factory.
Ah, so it'd be cheaper to do a 300i and then upgrade it... but buying a 325a gets you the insurance on the whole thing.

Can you later change a 325a to be one of the other Origin models?

Momentary

Banned
So let me get this straight. If I pick this weekend warrior package, my ship will be replaced if someone decides to blow me to kingdom come while I'm tacking a stroll through the stars? No questions asked?

Thinking for the Super Hornet and the Rataliator. But I hate hour the store page describes the Retaliator as "aging." It makes me think like there will be a new generation of bomber released soon.

shootfast

It takes time, the factory has to make you one. If the world where the ship is produced is having a pirate problem or there are lot of orders for that one ship it can a long time with an example of a month given. More times you use the insurance longer it will take to replace the next time.

Sothpaw

XBOX 360 controller spotted at the start of the video. It is all over guys.

Ugh. Was going to spend a bunch of time researching this game today but now unsure. I read the "PC and no lesser platforms" post, but now they are spotted with a 360 controller too? I am a hardcore PC gamer and don't play consoles because, like the developer, I find them to be lesser platforms. Is this really looking to be a true-blue not dumbed down PC game? If yes then I will read up on it today and happily throw my money at it.

P.S. Played ESO beta yesterday...perfect example of what happens when certain genres try console.

Daedardus

Ugh. Was going to spend a bunch of time researching this game today but now unsure. I read the "PC and no lesser platforms" post, but now they are spotted with a 360 controller too? I am a hardcore PC gamer and don't play consoles because, like the developer, I find them to be lesser platforms. Is this really looking to be a true-blue not dumbed down PC game? If yes then I will read up on it today and happily throw my money at it.

Is this a joke post? A 360 controller was used as an example of getting around. The game features instant controller switching. For example, you walk around with a controller in the game, switch to mouse and keyboard for shooting, and then use your flight stick to sear through space. All without requiring you to give input to switch.

And there are numberous 'real' PC game that can benefit from controllers controls. Yet those aren't 'dumbed down'.

shootfast

P.S. Played ESO beta yesterday...perfect example of what happens when certain genres try console.

I thought you joking... Actually sad that people still think this way :(

read it from the man himself https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/76653/star-citizen-pc-ps4-and-consoles/p1

firehawk12

Subete no aware
$30 million today? $30 million today...

Yes. Upgrade kits are available in-game.
Fuck man. I am almost going to spend more money on this game that doesn't even exist. lol

In terms of cost, will upgrade kits cost more than they do in the store at the moment by the time the game launches?

Daedardus

Fuck man. I am almost going to spend more money on this game that doesn't even exist. lol

In terms of cost, will upgrade kits cost more than they do in the store at the moment by the time the game launches?

If you translate real money to in-game credits, yes. The same goes for ships too. But I don't know exactly how a 'downgrade' will work. An upgrade kit is essentially a package you buy with all the extras from the stock model, that then gets fitted on your ship. I assume if you 'downgrade' you just have to fit the new parts on and keep your old.

Sothpaw

Is this a joke post? A 360 controller was used as an example of getting around. The game features instant controller switching. For example, you walk around with a controller in the game, switch to mouse and keyboard for shooting, and then use your flight stick to sear through space. All without requiring you to give input to switch.

And there are numberous 'real' PC game that can benefit from controllers controls. Yet those aren't 'dumbed down'.

Joke? Um no. I can't think any PC games that aren't console ports that benefit from controller support. Except platformers of course. It is good to see that you will not be forced to use a controller though.

Daedardus

Joke? Um no. I can't think any PC games that aren't console ports that benefit from controller support. Except platformers of course. It is good to see that you will not be forced to use a controller though.

The Witcher 2? A mouse is great and all for interfaces, but when movement is critical, an analog stick takes over from a few keyboard keys.

Zabojnik

I don't see how controlling the game with the 360 joypad *and* keyboard would be any different from how I used to play pretty much all of the big space-sims of the past, before I could afford a proper HOTAS setup. With a 2, 3-button joystick and a keyboard, that is. Just because the 360 pad is natively a console controller doesn't make it terrible or inferior. It might even end up being the best option for Star Citizen.

MrBig

KBs are really inappropriate for any game that requires precise movement, the nature of analogue sticks makes movement more controllable than digital on/off movement. A controller will probably be better to use than KB/M in SC for flight if you don't have a joystick.
I'm not sure what the object of your complaint is. Are you complaining just about being able to use a 360 controller? Are you complaining that KB/M aren't the only form of input supported? Are you complaining that HOTAS setups aren't the only inputs supported? I don't see how use choice in input is a detractor, it is one of the aspects that makes the PC platform great, imo. No one is forcing you to use a certain input, but support is there for people who want it.

XEROWUN

Neo Member

whoa, thought it was a troll post too, now i'm pretty f'ing scared right about now.

FACE

Banned
The Witcher 2? A mouse is great and all for interfaces, but when movement is critical, an analog stick takes over from a few keyboard keys.

Not that I agree with what he is saying, but Witcher 2 isn't a good example. It is pretty clear that the game was designed as a multiplatform title, CD Projekt just didn't have the resources to release a 360 version of the game at the same time.

d0g_bear

Damn, I remember the pledge counter passing 10 mil. Tonight we're facing 30. The expectations (and responsibility) of crowdfunding as an business strategy are tied into this project.

MrBig

Salvage handily won the $32 million ‘ship role’ poll, which means that the next ship we hope to be developing for you will be oriented around exploring and recovering derelict starships and other hidden treasures! Here’s the first description:

Aegis Surveyor – The Surveyor, from noted military contractor Aegis, is an industrial-quality salvage ship. Equipped with a reinforced cargo bay, a long-range jump drive and launch pods for unmanned drones, the Surveyor is an ideal ship for taking advantage of deep space wrecks. Tractor beams, floodlights, scanner options and docking ports round out the tool chest on this capable, utilitarian spacecraft.

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/13391-Letter-From-The-Chairman-30-Million

Arcoril

LTI is only basic insurance, you'll get a factory-spec hull if your ship is destroyed in covered areas, and it can be revoked if you commit insurance fraud (purposefully damaging the ship or illegally sell it etc).

This is one of those things that makes me worry about the game. They've gone on record saying that they'll closely monitor insurance fraud by hand and take action if necessary. Moderated game systems like that simply don't work in MMOs. Either they're oblivious to the failings of previous MMOs or they'll prove me wrong and do something revolutionary.

JoseJX

So guys, help me choose. I have no idea what is more valuable in the game - fighting or exploring. :(

At this point we don't really know, so it's more about the style of gameplay that you enjoy. Remember too that the basic hull is the same between the 315p and the 325a, so you can always get parts to switch between the two.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
At this point we don't really know, so it's more about the style of gameplay that you enjoy. Remember too that the basic hull is the same between the 315p and the 325a, so you can always get parts to switch between the two.
Reading a thread comparing the two, there seems to be a debate on whether the engine/scanner will be more or less expensive than the weapons/combat scanner. I guess nobody knowing much about the game kind of makes this really difficult to consider.

Of course, I guess that's why people seem to be buying two or more ships for themselves...

JoseJX

Reading a thread comparing the two, there seems to be a debate on whether the engine/scanner will be more or less expensive than the weapons/combat scanner. I guess nobody knowing much about the game kind of makes this really difficult to consider.

Of course, I guess that's why people seem to be buying two or more ships for themselves...

Pretty much. In my hangar, I've got an Aurora LX, a 315p, a Freelancer and a Super Hornet. I figure that pretty much covers me for a simple shuttle, an exploration vehicle, a trade/exploration ship and a fighter. I'm done for now, although if they offer the 890 Jump Space Yacht at a reasonable price with LTI, I'd probably get one of those too.

I've definitely overspent, but I'm pretty excited about getting a new Chris Roberts game. Hopefully it's awesome!

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Pretty much. In my hangar, I've got an Aurora LX, a 315p, a Freelancer and a Super Hornet. I figure that pretty much covers me for a simple shuttle, an exploration vehicle, a trade/exploration ship and a fighter. I'm done for now, although if they offer the 890 Jump Space Yacht at a reasonable price with LTI, I'd probably get one of those too.

I've definitely overspent, but I'm pretty excited about getting a new Chris Roberts game. Hopefully it's awesome!
The stupid thing is that I was only really interested in the single player game. But this whole "LTI is gone in 3 days thing!" is freaking me out.

MrBig

This is one of those things that makes me worry about the game. They've gone on record saying that they'll closely monitor insurance fraud by hand and take action if necessary. Moderated game systems like that simply don't work in MMOs. Either they're oblivious to the failings of previous MMOs or they'll prove me wrong and do something revolutionary.

It hasn't been described as moderation afaik, the insurance system has only been described as automatic in-universe. Insurance fraud can be detected by the UEE/advocacy via ship vin numbers and by NPCs reporting what they see if you destroy your own ship, as well as automatic punishment for repeated abuse under any circumstance. Why would CIG spend their time looking at each insurance transaction out of a pool of millions that are sure to take place? Clearly if there's something big going on CIG would step in to ban accounts, though, but CR has been pretty adamant about keeping moderation as in-universe as possible.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity

I was joking lol

Dead Man

So guys, help me choose. I have no idea what is more valuable in the game - fighting or exploring. :(

Even though I will probably be doing more exploring than fighting in my 300 I got the 325. I figured that after being killed by something I will want to get right back to making some money, so a well protected ship was more important than a good exploration one. I can always buy the exploration parts and retrofit them. Not perfect logic, but I was torn and needed a way to decide.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Even though I will probably be doing more exploring than fighting in my 300 I got the 325. I figured that after being killed by something I will want to get right back to making some money, so a well protected ship was more important than a good exploration one. I can always buy the exploration parts and retrofit them. Not perfect logic, but I was torn and needed a way to decide.
I was thinking the other way, that if I am exploring and get griefed, I could at least go back to exploring. lol

Is the game set up so that you can do random single player dogfighting missions to grind credits? Or is all combat PvP?

Dead Man

I was thinking the other way, that if I am exploring and get griefed, I could at least go back to exploring. lol

Is the game set up so that you can do random single player dogfighting missions to grind credits? Or is all combat PvP?

Just shows there is no wrong answer. I am not sold on the looks of the 300 series, but it looks to be versatile as hell. As for the other, don't know. I was thinking more of making high speed high risk cargo runs to get some cash.

Munin

At this point I am really starting to wonder where all the money is still coming from. Even if all the existing backers were constantly upgrading their pledges it would mean the average backer to have like a $400+ pledge or something now. And I would assume most potential backers would have already heard about the project by now, so there can't be a lot of new ones.

I wish they would release statistics about this actually. Maybe the numbers are actually not that large and they're just faking it to keep the PR momentum going :eek:

At this point I am really starting to wonder where all the money is still coming from. Even if all the existing backers were constantly upgrading their pledges it would mean the average backer to have like a $400+ pledge or something now. And I would assume most potential backers would have already heard about the project by now, so there can't be a lot of new ones.

I wish they would release statistics about this actually. Maybe the numbers are actually not that large and they're just faking it to keep the PR momentum going :eek:

I feel like I wandered into that JFK thread again.

veras

Fans have kept track of it: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Ariqrruk80VHdHVMREsxRWkwTXg2Rlc3clE0a3RwaXc#gid=4

The 'alpha and fans forecast' tab at the bottom shows the data for number of backers / average pledge. I would expect things to calm down a lot after the LTI-closeout on Tuesday, people will probably stop playing spaceship pokemon once LTI isn't in play anymore.

Tommyhawk

30 million $, this is just crazy.
I'm an original backer, even a golden ticket holder but I've never imagined that this project would go this far.
A lot of AAA games don't have this kind of money and CIG is even using this money more efficiently:

671758d1375750386-sammelthread-star-citizen-value1.jpg

But they really need that much cash for an enormous project like this one.
A lengthy SQ42 campaign and the PU with over 100 systems and over 400 (!) landing sites, makes this game one of the most ambitious games I've ever seen.

So for some reason my account has TWO pledges for Star Citizen. One was made during the early days when their site was mostly broken so it seems I payed for it twice. Should I contact Cloud Imperium? Is there any chance they could unite the two pledges for a higher-tier one?

Tommyhawk

So for some reason my account has TWO pledges for Star Citizen. One was made during the early days when their site was mostly broken so it seems I payed for it twice. Should I contact Cloud Imperium? Is there any chance they could unite the two pledges for a higher-tier one?

Do you have two packages (like two Freelancer packages)?
If that's the case than you can exchange them for store credit and buy a higher-tier package.

Momentary

Banned
Man... The hangar alone is about to make my laptop take off. I can't wait for 20nm GPUs to be released. This game is going to need 2 or 3 of them for smooth gameplay at regular old 1080p on max settings.

I decided to pick up the weekend warrior package. I'm now part of the cool kids group. What all can you do in the business hangar?

Munin

Man... The hangar alone is about to make my laptop take off. I can't wait for 20nm GPUs to be released. This game is going to need 2 or 3 of them for smooth gameplay at regular old 1080p on max settings.

I decided to pick up the weekend warrior package. I'm now part of the cool kids group. What all can you do in the business hangar?

Why does everyone think the requirements will be so high? The game basically does not have to render level geometry, being set in space. The spaceships and characters are high-poly, yes but you don't need these elsewhere. Let's not forget on what specs they demoed the game in 2012

Keric

Why does everyone think the requirements will be so high? The game basically does not have to render level geometry, being set in space. The spaceships and characters are high-poly, yes but you don't need these elsewhere. Let's not forget on what specs they demoed the game in 2012

"...we could be like Blizzard or Riot and focus on a game that works on the widest array of PC hardware – but that’s not the spirit of Star Citizen. We are shooting for the stars both virtually and technology wise. For me this game is about pushing boundaries on all levels and is something that I hope is still breathing strong ten years from now. Instead of Crysis benchmarks when they test a new GPU I want to see Star Citizen!"

Blizzard

Banned
Even the hangar right now performs horribly on high-end systems. Maybe I'm just cynical, but I don't expect it to be much more optimized with CryEngine 3 in the future, so the final game might require high end systems to be purchased again in a year or two. :p

Also regarding the 360 controller, I would think a 360 controller would work better for piloting than a keyboard or a mouse, while being cheaper than a flightstick.

Even the hangar right now performs horribly on high-end systems. Maybe I'm just cynical, but I don't expect it to be much more optimized with CryEngine 3 in the future, so the final game might require high end systems to be purchased again in a year or two. :p

I'll say this again for the people who may of missed it a while back. The devs have stated that hanger module is not optimized at all atm. There are no LOD models or textures done on any of the ships or environs. Effectively the hanger module at present is rendering everything at full detail everywhere all the time regardless of distance or occlusion.

Top Bottom