• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Citizen Pre-Alpha: Hangar Module

Well the LX is $30, that's disappointing. I expected it'd be the $25 it originally was since they said prices would stay the same for OBs...

Also, the Starter Package is a complete ripoff now for new backers. The Next Generation Aurora package is the same price but includes Squadron 42 as well, but the LN instead of the LX. It seems many people believe the LN is 100% superior lately, but I don't see it that way. I'm pretty sure the LN does only have 2 upgrade slots and that the specs page is wrong (if you believe the specs page the ES, CL, and MR all only have 6 maneuvering thrusters while the LX has 8, but that'd mean it'd have to be a different hull as hardpoints can't be added per Rob yet the LX is pretty clearly just a variant of the normal hull), but regardless it's heavier and so less maneuverable, larger and with a higher EM signature so less stealthy, and runs four guns and a class 3 shield with the same max power plant as for the normal Aurora's two guns and class 2 shield meaning it'll probably end up with power issues. The LN is brute force while the LX is a scalpel that can potentially pack heavier albeit fewer guns.

And the LX just looks better :p

XEROWUN

Neo Member
Yeah, I guess they did it because it was kind of silly in the first place to have the LX the same price as the MR, I just wasn't expecting it.

well the whole starter and advance starter blindsided us as well, unlike the lightspeed pack, we didn't hear about this before hand.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
Well the LX is $30, that's disappointing. I expected it'd be the $25 it originally was since they said prices would stay the same for OBs...

Also, the Starter Package is a complete ripoff now for new backers. The Next Generation Aurora package is the same price but includes Squadron 42 as well, but the LN instead of the LX. It seems many people believe the LN is 100% superior lately, but I don't see it that way. I'm pretty sure the LN does only have 2 upgrade slots and that the specs page is wrong (if you believe the specs page the ES, CL, and MR all only have 6 maneuvering thrusters while the LX has 8, but that'd mean it'd have to be a different hull as hardpoints can't be added per Rob yet the LX is pretty clearly just a variant of the normal hull), but regardless it's heavier and so less maneuverable, larger and with a higher EM signature so less stealthy, and runs four guns and a class 3 shield with the same max power plant as for the normal Aurora's two guns and class 2 shield meaning it'll probably end up with power issues. The LN is brute force while the LX is a scalpel that can potentially pack heavier albeit fewer guns.

And the LX just looks better :p

I agree with everything in this post. I avoided the LN when it was first offered and kept my LX because I think it looks better and it'll handle better. Same with the Hornet variants, too ... I'm completely OK with my F7C vs. all the variants that make sacrifices in one place or another but cost more.

Daedardus

I agree with everything in this post. I avoided the LN when it was first offered and kept my LX because I think it looks better and it'll handle better. Same with the Hornet variants, too ... I'm completely OK with my F7C vs. all the variants that make sacrifices in one place or another but cost more.

That's game balance at work.

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
Just saw this little note in the anniversary sale details:

You will be able to upgrade your Idris-P to military specifications using kits available in the finished game.

Good news for Idris-P owners, bad for Idris-M I guess.

the -M owners get theirs back with the mlitary stock parts (which they paid less for, I think) if they only had base insurance. -P owners can get to that level, but paid more and would presumably have to repurchase any upgrades back without additional insurance.

Not a horrible setup for the original -M owners.

Daedardus

"Welcome to Star Citizen Anonymous. Tell us a bit about yourself."

My name is Daedardus and I just bought an additional Aurora LX LTI. I first only bought a 315p and said to myself I was not going to buy anything. But the pull became too strong. The ship has LTI, man. It's only $35, man... So I caved in. But this is the beginning of an addiction. Now I want a Constellation. And they just announced a 890 Jump. The feeling became too strong. I can't hold it anymore. It will ruin my life. And they know it. I'm just buying virtual ships. They say I'm funding a game, but that game has already been paid for. What am I doing with my life, what am I doing with my life.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
"Welcome to Star Citizen Anonymous. Tell us a bit about yourself."

My name is Daedardus and I just bought an additional Aurora LX LTI. I first only bought a 315p and said to myself I was not going to buy anything. But the pull became too strong. The ship has LTI, man. It's only $35, man... So I caved in. But this is the beginning of an addiction. Now I want a Constellation. And they just announced a 890 Jump. The feeling became too strong. I can't hold it anymore. It will ruin my life. And they know it. I'm just buying virtual ships. They say I'm funding a game, but that game has already been paid for. What am I doing with my life, what am I doing with my life.

I didn't get that 350R. Ended up getting a 325A and Aurora because i wanted to see how two different ships would fly in the dogfighting module. Now.... I really want that 350R. I also want a Freelancer. Got to have some place for my friends, you know?

Help me

phoenixyz

And they just announced a 890 Jump.
There is not a single concept art but I just want it. The description reminds me so much of
Yachts.jpg

Hooray! 30M before 2014 for sure now :p

I'd say we'll hit 30m by day after tomorrow.

I ended up melting my extra ship, converting it into a package and gifting it to a friend. I figure I'll only really need one ship to start off with and this way another person gets to experience Star Citizen.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
So as the LTI deadline nears, I'm thinking of upgrading my scout package to the next one up.

Is the Aurora a piece of crap? Is it worth getting the Origin 325a?

And, if I turn in my original backer Aurora and buy the 325a, do I lose all the other backer-related rewards (Alpha, Beta access, Squadron 42, etc)?

FACE

Banned
They're reaching those stretch goals so fast that I don't even know what they'll add. I assume the $29 mill goal involves a bunch of cocaine.

They're reaching those stretch goals so fast that I don't even know what they'll add.

Chris Roberts implied pretty much exactly that in his last update, so the next few 'stretch goals' are just going to be for general improvements, plus revealing a new ship at each milestone to keep things interesting.

coldfoot

Banned
Regarding this game on consoles, there are 2 PC F2P games Blacklight and Warframe on PS4, and I don't think their updates go through the same TRC as disc based games go through because Warframe was at update 11. So Sony might at least be more open to working with them, but then again I don't know if the DS4 has enough inputs to control all aspects of the ships their building. I really don't want to spring for a GPU to play this game, plus comfy couch and all, etc.

Money and backing from Sony would help him actually convert more of his promises into an actual game that works, so it'd be beneficial for all people. Hopefully this game can become Eve Online without spreadsheets and more action :)

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
So as the LTI deadline nears, I'm thinking of upgrading my scout package to the next one up.

Is the Aurora a piece of crap? Is it worth getting the Origin 325a?

And, if I turn in my original backer Aurora and buy the 325a, do I lose all the other backer-related rewards (Alpha, Beta access, Squadron 42, etc)?

The Aurora is a starter ship. It's not going to be the best at shooting things or have the biggest cargo hold, although it can do a little shooting and a little cargo hauling. Its best attribute, aside from being cheap (and fast to replace with insurance — yes, the bigger the ship, the longer it'll take for insurance to get you a replacement) is that it's small, so it'll be harder to detect on scanners.

I'm sure the Aurora won't be a total piece of crap. Most people probably will want to get a different ship eventually, though.

The 325a is definitely geared more toward combat, so if you think you'll want to do a lot of mercenary (or piracy?) missions, you may enjoy the 325a better than the Aurora.

You won't lose your original backer status, ever. You always have whatever rewards are listed with the package you have. So if you're going to melt your Digital Scout package, make sure you don't get just a 325a add-on ship! Get the 325a package, which is called "Arbiter - LTI." You'll even get more stuff than your Digital Scout package — a digital soundtrack, a digital star map and 1,000 more UEC. Here's a link: https://robertsspaceindustries.com/store/167-arbiter-lti

Durante

Regarding this game on consoles, there are 2 PC F2P games Blacklight and Warframe on PS4, and I don't think their updates go through the same TRC as disc based games go through because Warframe was at update 11. So Sony might at least be more open to working with them, but then again I don't know if the DS4 has enough inputs to control all aspects of the ships their building. I really don't want to spring for a GPU to play this game, plus comfy couch and all, etc.

Money and backing from Sony would help him actually convert more of his promises into an actual game that works, so it'd be beneficial for all people. Hopefully this game can become Eve Online without spreadsheets and more action :)
I think the last thing they need is more money. It seems to be coming in more quickly than they can spend it, and I think this will continue with the individual module releases.

A 30 million USD budget just for development is already pretty damn huge.

phoenixyz

You won't lose your original backer status, ever. You always have whatever rewards are listed with the package you have. So if you're going to melt your Digital Scout package, make sure you don't get just a 325a add-on ship! Get the 325a package, which is called "Arbiter - LTI." You'll even get more stuff than your Digital Scout package — a digital soundtrack, a digital star map and 1,000 more UEC. Here's a link: https://robertsspaceindustries.com/store/167-arbiter-lti

Btw, for original backers it's cheaper to get the Bounty Hunter - LTI (60$) + 325a upgrade (15$). That way you can even change the version of the ship you get after the LTI offers have expired.

edit: and also, the 325a, at least currently, is the same as the 300i with different stock loadout and skin. It has the same amount of hardpoints etc.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!

There would be a total revolt if Chris Roberts accepted any money from Sony, so that's out of the question. At this point, I don't think money is his problem. His bigger problem is having enough time and people to get it all finished.

As for the DS4 having enough inputs, well ... they managed to get Wing Commander I to work on Sega CD with a controller that had three buttons and a D-pad, so I'm sure they'd be able to work something out with a controller with many more inputs =P

Btw, for original backers it's cheaper to get the Bounty Hunter - LTI (60$) + 325a upgrade (15$). That way you can even change the version of the ship you get after the LTI offers have expired.

edit: and also, the 325a, at least currently, is the same as the 300i with different stock loadout and skin. It has the same amount of hardpoints etc.

Good point, I forgot about the Bounty Hunter package.

FACE

Banned
]Regarding this game on consoles[/B], there are 2 PC F2P games Blacklight and Warframe on PS4, and I don't think their updates go through the same TRC as disc based games go through because Warframe was at update 11. So Sony might at least be more open to working with them, but then again I don't know if the DS4 has enough inputs to control all aspects of the ships their building. I really don't want to spring for a GPU to play this game, plus comfy couch and all, etc.

cb5.gif

coldfoot

Banned
There would be a total revolt if Chris Roberts accepted any money from Sony, so that's out of the question. At this point, I don't think money is his problem. His bigger problem is having enough time and people to get it all finished.
I was going by the quote "we would require a financial commitment by Sony to make it happen." by Roberts, looks like he's open to a payout for porting the game.
As far as having enough people, there should be enough developers from closed studios for him to hire.

Still waiting for the Space Kayak sponsored by Walmart :)

MrBig

I was going by the quote "we would require a financial commitment by Sony to make it happen." by Roberts, looks like he's open to a payout for porting the game.
As far as having enough people, there should be enough developers from closed studios for him to hire.

I didn't take that statement as "If Sony bribes us we will port it" but as "if sony won't interfere with us controlling all aspects of our game and, in quite the contrast, pays us to support the development of the PS version in much the same way as we were funded for the PC version"

Using crowd-funding money or even showing any hints about working on console developments pre-2015 will get CIG in a lot of trouble. After the game releases and they're getting retail money they're free to do whatever they want with it so long as it doesn't detract from the PC version, in development or scope in the present or future.
As I've talked about before, I'd personally be fine if they took Minecraft's approach to a console version post release.

Blizzard

Banned
I didn't take that statement as "If Sony bribes us we will port it" but as "if sony won't interfere with us controlling all aspects of our game and, in quite the contrast, pays us to support the development of the PS version in much the same way as we were funded for the PC version"

Using crowd-funding money or even showing any hints about working on console developments pre-2015 will get CIG in a lot of trouble. After the game releases and they're getting retail money they're free to do whatever they want with it so long as it doesn't detract from the PC version, in development or scope in the present or future.
I still don't quite understand what trouble CIG could get in. If they reached their Kickstarter goal, they have the money, and there is no ability to get a refund per the agreement everyone had to sign, then they could port to whatever they want.

What could people even do? Try a class action suit or something if they can't get a refund?

MrBig

I still don't quite understand what trouble CIG could get in. If they reached their Kickstarter goal, they have the money, and there is no ability to get a refund per the agreement everyone had to sign, then they could port to whatever they want.

What could people even do? Try a class action suit or something if they can't get a refund?

It would be PR death, and about $27m of their $29m is able to be refunded for any reason.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity

IF SC comes out for any console it will be in like 2017 or something.

Daedardus

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/13389-29-Million-Squadron-42

Next poll option is now open. 31 million goal:

RSI Orion – Roberts Space Industries’ goal has always been to make the stars available to individual Citizens. Now, with the RSI Orion mining platform, RSI is letting individuals take over a process formerly controlled by megacorporations. The Orion’s features include high-grade turret-mounted tractor beam arrays, durable exterior-accessible ‘saddlebags’ for mineral storage and a cabin designed by the team that brought you the Aurora and Constellation!

XBOX 360 controller spotted at the start of the video. It is all over guys.

The game was revealed with the Xbox 360 controller a year ago.

MrBig

It's going in the order I've wanted so far! Hoping for smuggling after salvage.

What would a smuggling ship entail? I would assume any ship, but especially traders or haulers, would fill the role, and those aren't really present yet.

Holy crap! I really want the Vanduul Scythe, but people are charging $600 minimum for that ship.

You'll be able to capture one of your own later on

GeoGonzo

What would a smuggling ship entail? I would assume any ship, but especially traders or haulers, would fill the role, and those aren't really present yet.
You'll be able to capture one of your own later on
I imagine a smuggling ship would have a focus on stealth too.

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness

I think a 350R should be able to pull that off pretty well, at least for light, high-value cargo. They mentioned the idea of them running high speed covert ops.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
The Aurora is a starter ship. It's not going to be the best at shooting things or have the biggest cargo hold, although it can do a little shooting and a little cargo hauling. Its best attribute, aside from being cheap (and fast to replace with insurance — yes, the bigger the ship, the longer it'll take for insurance to get you a replacement) is that it's small, so it'll be harder to detect on scanners.

I'm sure the Aurora won't be a total piece of crap. Most people probably will want to get a different ship eventually, though.

The 325a is definitely geared more toward combat, so if you think you'll want to do a lot of mercenary (or piracy?) missions, you may enjoy the 325a better than the Aurora.

You won't lose your original backer status, ever. You always have whatever rewards are listed with the package you have. So if you're going to melt your Digital Scout package, make sure you don't get just a 325a add-on ship! Get the 325a package, which is called "Arbiter - LTI." You'll even get more stuff than your Digital Scout package — a digital soundtrack, a digital star map and 1,000 more UEC. Here's a link: https://robertsspaceindustries.com/s...67-arbiter-lti

Are upgrades covered under LTI, or do you lose the upgrade if your ship blows up?

I really have no idea how much I'll get into this... but I almost feel like I should get on the LTI bandwagon before it's gone forever. lol

Top Bottom