• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Citizen Pre-Alpha: Hangar Module

Blizzard

Banned
I'll say this again for the people who may of missed it a while back. The devs have stated that hanger module is not optimized at all atm. There are no LOD models or textures done on any of the ships or environs. Effectively the hanger module at present is rendering everything at full detail everywhere all the time regardless of distance or occlusion.
Considering (at least the basic) hangar module has hardly anything IN it, it would still be a little concerning that it is slow to render. :p You're close enough to everything that I wouldn't expect any LOD. There's one ship, not 30 ships off in the distance, as far as I'm aware.

If someone is more familiar with the technical details of the budget hangar scene in particular, by all means enlighten me about what's going on.

epmode

Considering (at least the basic) hangar module has hardly anything IN it, it would still be a little concerning that it is slow to render. :p You're close enough to everything that I wouldn't expect any LOD. There's one ship, not 30 ships off in the distance, as far as I'm aware.

If someone is more familiar with the technical details of the budget hangar scene in particular, by all means enlighten me about what's going on.

You know that games in development typically have awful framerates until late in production, right? Even stuff that would otherwise run vey well. If the fundamentals of the code can still change significantly, optimizing for framerate can be a waste of time.

Star Citizen is 2 years away. And they're been making comments about a major engine upgrade that's in development.

Durante

30 million $, this is just crazy.
I'm an original backer, even a golden ticket holder but I've never imagined that this project would go this far.
A lot of AAA games don't have this kind of money and CIG is even using this money more efficiently:

671758d1375750386-sammelthread-star-citizen-value1.jpg

But they really need that much cash for an enormous project like this one.
A lengthy SQ42 campaign and the PU with over 100 systems and over 400 (!) landing sites, makes this game one of the most ambitious games I've ever seen.
Hmm:
(30 000 000 U.S. dollars * (48 / 60)) / (100 000 (U.S. dollars / year)) = 240 years

So, currently they can finance roughly 240 man-years of development (for developers who cost them 100k per year on average).

Zabojnik

We're already over 500K into a new million. My revised prediction - 31M$ before the end of the month - wasn't ambitious enough, it seems. I give up. People are insane.

jet1911

Question time!

I pledged for the Digital Scout during the Kickstarter campaign and I'd like to know if I can upgrade that pledge to something else? Let's say I want to buy this is it possible to do it by upgrading my 35$ pledge? Or do I have to buy this package on it's own?

Tommyhawk

Question time!

I pledged for the Digital Scout during the Kickstarter campaign and I'd like to know if I can upgrade that pledge to something else? Let's say I want to buy this is it possible to do it by upgrading my 35$ pledge? Or do I have to buy this package on it's own?

Go to the "my hangar" section of the website and exchange your scout package for store credits.
Then buy your new package and click your way through until you reach the "place order" point. There you should see your store credits from the scout package and you can apply them to your order.

jet1911

Go to the "my hangar" section of the website and exchange your scout package for store credits.
Then buy your new package and click your way through until you reach the "place order" point. There you should see your store credits from the scout package and you can apply them to your order.

Cool, thanks!

coldfoot

Banned
This game just might be enough to make me rejoin the master race it seems. Thankfully it's 2 years away, by then you should even be able to play it on low settings on the go on your x86 tablet and resume playing on your desktop when you get home :)

My biggest concern is how they started out like an indie, but have now over $30M. It's not easy to manage such huge projects and the mindset will have to change a little bit.
What is the best deal available for this game right now? Which package gives you the best bang for your buck?

Faith

By the time this game is fully funded and complete, it won't be a game at all. People are going to have actual starships, leave Earth, and live the Star Citizen universe.
Imagine the 500 million richest people would donate 1000$/year for 10 years. 5000 billion $ would be enough to research & build these ships :D

What is the best deal available for this game right now? Which package gives you the best bang for your buck?

The minimum amount you need to pledge to get the game is $30. The minimum to get alpha and beta access along with the final game is $40. There is no 'best bang for the buck' package because that's not how the game will be balanced. Only spend as much as you can afford and you are comfortable with. You are spending money to help them make the game, not to pre-order different or better space ships.

Daedardus

My biggest concern is how they started out like an indie, but have now over $30M. It's not easy to manage such huge projects and the mindset will have to change a little bit.

Their plan always included a budget of 25 million. The kickstarter was only there to entice investors.

KKRT00

They have never started as an indie. They first goal was 22-25m$. They just wanted few millions to convince investors they lined up, but because community responded in such awesome way, this game no does not have any investors now, so its completely independent and Chris Roberts has full control.

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
Bumped up second account to the Avenger package for $20. Chip damage!

I doubt I'll keep it for long though, tomorrow's coming....

"Like the original group, these ships will be offered for sale on special occasions… including some which will be purchasable for the first time on the 26th!"

It'll be in limited numbers, so while they're pretty much guaranteed to sell out again, won't be a full million on Idris' alone.

With the new Banu ship and whatever else they throw in (I guess the Xi'an one'll probably be there too) I can definitely see them hitting 32 by the end of tomorrow.

Azih

This isn't f2p monetization at all, not by a long shot.

There's one point in common though.

RSI has hooked some gigantic whales with this and is pulling them in for all they are worth. I'm sure that's not their intent but it's still pretty icky. I really hope not many people aren't throwing money into this that they can't afford. I can't imagine that there aren't some.

CTLance

I am now the proud "owner" of a Starfarer. Shame my Gladiator had to eat it, but all things considered I think this will suit my gaming habits better.

So now, I'm at two Auroras (LR&LX), one 350R, one Freelancer and one Cutlass .... plus my new Starfarer. Yikes.
I want a Ghost and a Tracker, too!

Now, the long wait for the Freelancer upgrade packs starts. Can't wait.

( Just a short slightly OT reminder, there's less than two weeks on the Elite Dangerous pledge store until they switch over to a less interesting, but open store system. )

The original team of CIG who launched the kickstarter must be continually astounded by the amount of money that just keeps on rolling in.

I hope they finally manage to get their new digs soon, you can see how cramped and squished in everyone is in the Wingman's Hangar vids.

MrBig

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/13394-Letter-From-The-Chairman-31-Million
Hitting $31 million means you unlock the first of the player-selected role ships, the RSI Orion! Like the Starfarer, the Orion is the kind of ship you probably wouldn’t have flown in Wing Commander… but we intend to make it just as interesting as a fighter or a bomber!

RSI Orion – Roberts Space Industries’ goal has always been to make the stars available to individual Citizens. Now, with the RSI Orion mining platform, RSI is letting individuals take over a process formerly controlled by megacorporations. The Orion’s features include high-grade turret-mounted tractor beam arrays, durable exterior-accessible ‘saddlebags’ for mineral storage and a cabin designed by the team that brought you the Aurora and Constellation!

The voting is a lot closer now, but it looks like “Explorer” has edged out the crowd to be our next ship!

Anvil Carrack – The Anvil Carrack has been the vanguard of every UEE exploration effort in recent years. Featuring reinforced fuel tanks for long-duration flight, a highly advanced jump drive array and a dedicated computer core room that allows it to put the maximum processing power into jump charting operations. Originally a military exclusive, the Carrack is now available for civilian use as a pathfinder spacecraft. Features on-board accommodations to allow for truly self-sufficient flight, including crew medical and repair facilities, and a mapping-oriented sensor suite capable of always charting a route home!

You have two more chances to vote for a new ship role! By the process of elimination, you’ll be choosing a ship from either Drake Interplanetary, makers of the Cutlass and the Caterpillar, or MISC, makers of the Freelancer and the Starfarer. Choose wisely!

Raticus79

I agree, the Carrack sounds great. It helps put together a great concept for guild fleets making their way, supported by these and some starfarers... maybe some Orions tagging along for snagging exotic ores... fun times.

Smuggler and Information Runner are neck and neck. There was a pretty good reddit thread about smuggler ship concepts:

http://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/1rddqj/smuggler_ships_its_not_all_aluminum_falcons_and/

I think the ships will be interesting, but the 350R seemed like it would work fine for both roles. Maybe the information runner would have some extra kit for spying or something.

Since they said the remaining two will come from MISC and Drake, I actually voted for cargo hauler thinking we might get a higher capacity one from MISC - the next step up from the Freelancer as far as capacity goes.

CTLance

Wouldn't the M50 with stealth skin and tweaks to engines etc already be a pretty awesome information runner?

I say a heavily shielded Smuggler ship with secret compartments and hacking/anti-scanning equipment (or whatever) is far more interesting.

Also: Dat Carrack. So awesome. It's what I wanted the Freelancer to be. Looking forward to using the latter to unlock the former.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
You know, seeing that there are still so many Alpha slots available, I have to wonder how much of that 31 million is people who spent thousands on the game already. lol

Raticus79

This isn't f2p monetization at all, not by a long shot.

There's one point in common though.

RSI has hooked some gigantic whales with this and is pulling them in for all they are worth. I'm sure that's not their intent but it's still pretty icky. I really hope not many people aren't throwing money into this that they can't afford. I can't imagine that there aren't some.

You know, seeing that there are still so many Alpha slots available, I have to wonder how much of that 31 million is people who spent thousands on the game already. lol

I think a lot of people who grew up with the Wing Commander series are in a position where they can comfortably kick in a good chunk of change toward this sort of thing these days. Knowing the majority is going toward development certainly helps.

Wingman just said on chat that we MIGHT see some dogfighting tomorrow from the upcoming module, MIGHT. Now I'm definitely tuning into the livestream

MrBig

Can anybody explain this game to me? I've been reading through the site and I simply don't understand what's to do in the game.

Check the OP.

Briefly, SC is made up 3 chunks, a single player campaign (Squadron 42), a persistent-universe MMO (Star Citizen proper), and a private multiplayer game (private, small scale dedicated servers can host the SC universe -and user mods- separate from the MMO game).

The MMO aspect is a sandbox, basically get your ship and figure out what you want to do. No traditional quests, XP, leveling, etc. A simulated economy will be what drives a lot of people: pirates raiding cargo, players owning factory chains, surveying and mining things. Exploration can also be a big part, discovering and mapping jump points to new systems, which can lead to new colonies being built or new mining material.

metalshade

I bought in several months ago, (thanks mindlog for the LTI upgrade) and am waiting patiently(ish) for the dogfight module.
I know about S42 for the campaign, and am really looking forward to it, but my main concern is this, will there be an actual GAF clan to join and scout the galaxy/run errands for/protect the fleet? Or is everyone here part of other clans already, are we all supposed to just run off and do our own things?
I don't want to be a fleet commander or anything, I just want to be a reliable pilot for the good of the clan, is there a place for someone like me?

Momentary

Banned
Man... if I were them I'd stop making goals and start focusing on actually making the game and using the extra money to refine everything else.

You can't put too much on your plate.

Now, is there a way to force some AA in this hanger. I tried using NVIDIA Control Panel, but it doesn't seem to be doing anything.

Top Bottom