• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star exhibits strange light patterns which could be a sign of alien activity

Status
Not open for further replies.

cdyhybrid

What if those structures are the aliens?

qddYXTq.jpg

Moff

what if they have been watching us the whole time and are laughing at us. maybe there is even a tv show about us.

Joey Fox

Self-Actualized Member
If our piddling civilization discovered theirs, what chance is there that some invisible probes haven't been watching our civilization grow?

We're being watched! Don't fuck up or we'll trigger the apocalypse.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
I think the idea an alien species would need such massive amounts of energy is short-sighted. It's like how people thought it made sense that aliens would travel in flying saucers, when we already have drones and robots. It's a view based on where we stand today.

Log4Girlz

I think the idea an alien species would need such massive amounts of energy is short-sighted. It's like how people thought it made sense that aliens would travel in flying saucers, when we already have drones and robots.

I agree. But. .. once you get aperture fever. ..ok imagine automation trivialized creating machinery. .. they might be littering their system with massive telescopes.

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
Our arrows will blot out the sun

Those objects are an armada of galactic class ships headed our way.

Seriously though this is very intriguing. Would be incredible

Osahi

A species advanced enough to build objects of that size would probably be bad news. We'd be vermin to them.

Why? I never really got that argument. Yes, we were very bad news for the native Americans and Africans and every other society we discovered and weren't as advanced as we are. But if you want to draw historical lines -> society tends to get more morally advanced with time too. If you reason they had a similar advancement as ours, their views on alien life like us that is far less advanced could be 'live and let live', because moraly they are in a place were they don't look down anymore on other, less advanced cultures... They could have the Star Trek rule of 'don't intervene' for all we know.

(But it is bullshit anyway to draw historical comparisons. We don't know how an alien race would be culturaly, or how they would've evolved)

And anyway, if this is a sign of alien life, we're looking at their world 1400 years ago. Who knows what has happend in that time.

Ray Wonder

Founder of the Wounded Tagless Children
Why? I never really got that argument. Yes, we were very bad news for the native Americans and Africans and every other society we discovered and weren't as advanced as we are. But if you want to draw historical lines -> society tends to get more morally advanced with time too. If you reason they had a similar advancement as ours, their views on alien life like us that is far less advanced could be 'live and let live', because moraly they are in a place were they don't look down anymore on other, less advanced cultures... They could have the Star Trek rule of 'don't intervene' for all we know.

(But it is bullshit anyway to draw historical comparisons. We don't know how an alien race would be culturaly, or how they would've evolved)

And anyway, if this is a sign of alien life, we're looking at their world 1400 years ago. Who knows what has happend in that time.

Best case scenario is the take us into the galactic society and teach us their ways, worse case is they take us, do tests on us, eat us, do whatever they want to us.

I don't think I would want to take that chance tbh.

dity

Best case scenario is the take us into the galactic society and teach us their ways, worse case is they take us, do tests on us, eat us, do whatever they want to us.

Maybe they will want to make human hybrids? I'll go put on my procreatin' loins.

raphier

Banned

worst key scenario: we learn their technology, build advanced war machines and then enslave them. Never underestimate atrocities a human is capable of. If anything, an advanced civilization will be too comfortable to understand creatures that take advantage of survival .

That's actually a really good point. Maybe they'd be morally advanced to a point where they would help or at least ignore us.

A species at "Dyson Ring +1000 years" tech having not formed a far-ranging interstellar empire would raise some questions. Maybe they wouldn't have destroyed us in their galactic conquest, but for there to be no obvious signs of expansion when technology generally advances at an exponential rate (along with population in a society with essentially no energy limits) would definitely have to make you doubt that the speed of light could ever be exceeded.

Is there a reason why you think they aren't already here?

Osahi

Chance we ever reach them is very slim. Chances they allready know we're here is far greater i would say

But i get your point. Better safe than sorry

Red

I would flip my shit if it is proven to be a Dyson ring.

Cool story.

Even if it were blindingly obvious, I can't imagine something nearly 1500 lightyears away will be proven in our lifetimes. It will remain speculative until we can get a much, much better look at it.

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
If culture and technology are recurrent features in the universe at large I would consider them natural. The distinction as we make it in regards to human artifacts is fuzzy anyway.
The bolded is yet to be determined, hence not considered Natural in the same way as more abundant and well known phenomena, I imagine.

we need to up the military budget for our new space defense force to prepare for their arrival.
Might as well flush the money down the toilet, it'd be as effective.

There are probably aliens looking at us right now from that ring of light and thinking we're BS too.
They wouldn't see anything.
Worse. They'd see the middle ages.

Ethelwulf

Is such thing even possible? Yes it is.

Jokes aside, finding alien life would be the biggest science/social/economical breakthrough of our history.

jett

D-Member
Pretty neat. 1400 light years away though, there's a chance this hypothetical civilization doesn't exist anymore.

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
Pretty neat. 1400 years away though, there's a chance this hypothetical civilization doesn't exist anymore.

I think a civilization that is past the capability to create Dyson swarms is probably capable of establishing more than one independent colony in their stellar neighborhood.

Sapiens

So, hypothetically, if it is alien life and they're sufficiently advance to the point where they are harnessing a significant portion of their sun's energy, and we're observing them, they've potentially been watching us for eons.

And if they are watching us, they are seeing us as we were in 600 AD - if they can even see anything at all.

Amazing.

Like many have said though, it might be better if they are not aware of us and we remain hidden.

The idea of observing a technologically advance civilization, even if from a great distance and the information we can contain is limited, is tantalizing.

So, hypothetically, if it is alien life and they're sufficiently advance to the point where they are harnessing a significant portion of their sun's energy, and we're observing them, they've potentially been watching us for eons.

They just forgot to turn off the light before they left.

And if they are watching us, they are seeing us as we were in 600 AD - if they can even see anything at all.

Amazing.

Like many have said though, it might be better if they are not aware of us and we remain hidden.

So they've had a Dyson sphere for 1500 years and they are looking at us being all Gladiatory. To them we'd be what ants are to us.

borborygmus

I wonder what aliens' observational sense(s) would be like. They would not have eyes or ears since we wouldn't share any common ancestors with them.

I guess they'd seem like sentient plants to us.

Or maybe my post is really dumb. I can't tell right now because I'm experiencing a food coma. /Yawn

Ethelwulf

I read through the article and nowhere the authors mention anything about extraterrestrial life activity. Explanations of the light dips go from inner to outer phenomena occurring in the star's circumference but nothing else.

Edit: The claim is based on a phone interview, sorry.

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
I read through the article and nowhere the authors mention anything about extraterrestrial life activity. Explanations of the light dips go from inner to outer phenomena occurring in the star's circumference but nothing else
No self respecting scientist would ever mention such a possibility explicitly in one of their publications.

because everyone knows the magazine editors are aliens

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom