• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Fox 64 3D |OT| Online? Can't let you do that, Star Fox!

Lkr

EvilMario said:
It's worth it, in my opinion, even more so for people that loved the original. They went out of their way to polish this game, re-record the voices with the same voice actors, and the 3D is maybe the best the 3DS has to offer right now. Lack of online multiplayer (even though everyone claims to hate StarFox 64 multiplayer) is the only mark I have against the game.
i never got to play much star fox 64 multiplayer, but the reason i didn't enjoy it was because of the awful cameras used in it. i think online multiplayer would have been spectacular for this game, but at least it has single card play if i can ever find someone with the game.

FWIW to one of the posters above, I always found Aquas to be the hardest level in the game...

WillyFive

For me, the hardest is the final boss. I have played the game so much there is no difficulty for me anymore (not a bad thing, because I can enjoy the game better than ever), except for the true final boss (from the hard path, not the easy path). It still genuinely scares me when i get too close to that thing.

Thoraxes said:
Hell, I even took a picture of my certificate of when you beat the game, with me standing next to it, because I was so proud.

Oh yeah, I loved that thing, especially General Pepper's comments on how much he has to pay you for your work.

Emitan

My muscle memory for this is so extreme that I'm having troubles playing the game. I only got 138 hits on Corneria. In my prime I could get way more than that :(

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Lkr said:
i never got to play much star fox 64 multiplayer, but the reason i didn't enjoy it was because of the awful cameras used in it. i think online multiplayer would have been spectacular for this game, but at least it has single card play if i can ever find someone with the game.

FWIW to one of the posters above, I always found Aquas to be the hardest level in the game...

Indeed, although my friends and I played a lot of StarFox 64 multiplayer on the Nintendo 64, there are many obvious flaws. But given the amount of adjustments they made to it, and you're playing it off your own single screen.. it could have been a great time online. Just a missed opportunity if you ask me. Especially if Iwata touting how Nintendo is going to come into the future now and start to support online aspects of their platforms.

Lkr

EvilMario said:
Indeed, although my friends and I played a lot of StarFox 64 multiplayer on the Nintendo 64, there are many obvious flaws. But given the amount of adjustments they made to it, and you're playing it off your own single screen.. it could have been a great time online. Just a missed opportunity if you ask me. Especially if Iwata touting how Nintendo is going to come into the future now and start to support online aspects of their platforms.
definitely, this game would sell pretty damn well with online multiplayer imo. i remember spending more time playing Mario Kart, Pokemon Stadium, Goldeneye, random sports games, etc with friends on the n64 though. i remember one significant 4 player star fox session where we played for like 3 hours which was fun though

Emitan

The new crosshairs don't feel accurate at all. Most of my complaints will mean nothing to 99% of the people playing this game, but I'm so used to the way the old game controlled that I'm having troubles with this. It's still really fun and I don't necessarily mind relearning the game, but it's just frustrating to be playing so poorly.

Emitan

Willy105 said:
I don't use cross hairs in the N64 version. They get in the way.
I'll try it with them off. I'll just...trust my instincts.

EDIT: Oh good, Aquas still feels like it's in mollasses. I totally was hoping they'd keep that in.

OK, so I preordered the game on Amazon with my Prime membership and today I checked and it said that it will arrive next Wednesday. So me not wanting to wait decided to go get it at Gamestop. I tried to cancel the Amazon order but they said I couldn't because it was already on its way even though it hasn't shipped yet. I have two copies of the game, so can I return the extra Amazon copy to Gamestop (got charged 44 at gamestop)?

Oh and btw Starfox looks awesome in 3D!!

Teknoman

Did Leonard Nimoy do the narration for the SF64 prologue? Also was Star Fox 64 pretty much a retcon of Star Fox SNES? I thought it was a sequel back when it released, but now it seems like they just decided to start over after SNES.

Emitan

Teknoman said:
Did Leonard Nimoy do the narration for the SF64 prologue? Also was Star Fox 64 pretty much a retcon of Star Fox SNES? I thought it was a sequel back when it released, but now it seems like they just decided to start over after SNES.
It's a retcon. SF SNES never happened.

Man, I actually have a headache just from the 3D. It's nothing but trouble.

sfried

Billychu said:
Man, I actually have a headache just from the 3D. It's nothing but trouble.
"Cayman here. No problems."
Billychu said:
The new crosshairs don't feel accurate at all. Most of my complaints will mean nothing to 99% of the people playing this game, but I'm so used to the way the old game controlled that I'm having troubles with this. It's still really fun and I don't necessarily mind relearning the game, but it's just frustrating to be playing so poorly.
I here ya about some of the accuracy being off, but probably because of the way the analog is very sensitive, as if recreating the same degree of control with the original's Control Stick. That said, I noticed duing multiplayer that there is slight aim assisting (in the form of a mini-crosshair on enemy ships).

As for SNES StarFox, I really wish Star Fox 2 came out. Those transforming vehichles idea was just out there...

Sinthetic

I finished it in 1 hour 28 and my hands were friggin' KILLING.

Some of the game is truly stunning in 3D, Macbeth is the funnest level ever, seriously. I'm gonna play the crap out of it.

There is so much I don't know about this game, I've heard you guys chatting about hard paths, easy paths, true bosses, medals. No idea what any of it means.

Someone shed some light this grasshoppers way.

Luigi87

Sinthetic said:

Some of the game is truly stunning in 3D, Macbeth is the funnest level ever, seriously. I'm gonna play the crap out of it.

There is so much I don't know about this game, I've heard you guys chatting about hard paths, easy paths, true bosses, medals. No idea what any of it means.

Certain levels (I won't say for spoiler concerns) have additional goals in completing them (IE: Get X number of HITS, or fly through these warp rings, or complete a very specific objective). Depending if you complete the objective or not determines which path (Easy-Medium-Hard) you continue on.

Now I don't have my copy yet, but at least in the original (and I would assume here) when you beat a stage the easy way it says "Mission Complete" and when you complete it the more difficult way it says "Mission Accomplished".

Sinthetic said:

Just a quick example:

On the first level, Corneria... just before the waterfall, you are flying over a lake. If you fly under all the rock arcs there, you will take another route.

Fernando Rocker said:
Just a quick example:

On the first level, Corneria... in the part before the waterfall, you are flying over a lake. If you fly under all the stone arcs there, you will take another route.
You also have to have saved Falco earlier.

Sinthetic

Brilliant, thanks for the help my friends.

So replaying the levels is a really good way to potentially unlock other levels... I like that.

Mafro

Willy105 said:
For me, the hardest is the final boss. I have played the game so much there is no difficulty for me anymore (not a bad thing, because I can enjoy the game better than ever), except for the true final boss (from the hard path, not the easy path). It still genuinely scares me when i get too close to that thing.
Haha yea I was always afraid of getting grabbed by the tentacles if I got too close. I ALWAYS ended up losing a wing or two in that battle.

Emitan

Mafro said:
Haha yea I was always afraid of getting grabbed by the tentacles if I got too close. I ALWAYS ended up losing a wing or two in that battle.
Shoot the brain, he'll teleport. U-turn, shoot vulernable part, repeat. Easiest boss in the game

RaidenZR

Apologies if this has been asked before in the thread but does anyone know how huge the differences in Challenge Modes are? I'm using the traditional controls bu I'm not sure what the game is trying to tell me. Is the N3DS mode easier or something?

Emitan

Pancakes R Us said:
Wait, someone beat the game in 1 hour and 28 minutes...?

/never played the original
I can beat it in about 45 minutes without trying too hard. I could speed run it at around 35 minutes probably if I cared too.

EDIT: I pulled these times out of my ass. For all I know it takes me over an hour and it feels like less.

Sinthetic

Pancakes R Us said:
Wait, someone beat the game in 1 hour and 28 minutes...?

/never played the original

I'm really underwhelming at this game, I think I was on the easy run and I only died once. I'm sure if you are better than me at it, you'll get a harder route and increase your time.

Luigi87 said:
The game is all about its replayability.
Truer words have never been spoken. It's short, but it has some of the most fun aerial combat out there. Landmaster sucks, but it's a necessary evil. Plus the quotability. I'm thinking of my older brother and I playing it all those years ago...sniffle.

Emitan

Wait, are Venom 1 and 2 counted as different courses for Score Attack? How am I supposed to get 220 on Venom 2? I can think of one way, but that's insane.

Emitan

I just checked my N64 cart. My highest score is 1357. I got that score when I was about 10. I think I'm just getting worse at Star Fox 64 as I get older.

So I just got this 30 minutes ago and after the 90 minute tutorial that you can't skip I finally started on the first level (seriously wtf is with that dumb mandatory training level?)

Anywayz: OMG! The graphics are beautiful and the 3D is awsome! i started on 3DS mode (which I heard was easy mode..right?) since its been forever since I played and its really awsome. Just beat the 2nd level (the meteor one) just as awsome as I remember :) Glad I bought it.

Also wtf at this game not being able to stay online. First OoT and now this? That better not be the case for any other game it better be just a problem with 64 remakes...even though that makes no sense...I want my 3DS friends to see that I'm currently playing Star Fox! :(

Emitan

WiiRevolution1 said:
So I just got this 30 minutes ago and after the 90 minute tutorial that you can't skip I finally started on the first level (seriously wtf is with that dumb mandatory training level?)

Anywayz: OMG! The graphics are beautiful and the 3D is awsome! i started on 3DS mode (which I heard was easy mode..right?) since its been forever since I played and its really awsome. Just beat the 2nd level (the meteor one) just as awsome as I remember :) Glad I bought it.

Also wtf at this game not being able to stay online. First OoT and now this? That better not be the case for any other game it better be just a problem with 64 remakes...even though that makes no sense...I want my 3DS friends to see that I'm currently playing Star Fox! :(
How would you play OoT online?

Tyeforce

Billychu said:
How would you play OoT online?
I believe he's referring to the fact that Ocarina of Time 3D kicks you offline when you play it, so you don't appear online to your Friend List and you can't see other people playing it, too. Star Fox 64 3D must be the same way.

Emitan

Tyeforce said:
I believe he's referring to the fact that Ocarina of Time 3D kicks you offline when you play it, so you don't appear online to your Friend List and you can't see other people playing it, too. Star Fox 64 3D must be the same way.
Wow. Really, Nintendo? "We're going to have better online in our systems. Oh wait, no, just kidding, if you play a game you go offline!"

jokkir

Is it just me of are the textures just... bad?

Just about to fight the boss in Corneria for the first time. Ohh maaaannn

Emitan

jokkir said:
Is it just me of are the textures just... bad?

Just about to fight the boss in Corneria for the first time. Ohh maaaannn
Textures aren't very good. It has some performance issues too. I've seen lots of slowdown.

Tyeforce

Billychu said:
Wow. Really, Nintendo? "We're going to have better online in our systems. Oh wait, no, just kidding, if you play a game you go offline!"
I've heard it's to save battery live. Who knows. But there really isn't much point to being connected to the Internet when you're playing a game that doesn't have online play...

Emitan

Tyeforce said:
I've heard it's to save battery live. Who knows. But there really isn't much point to being connected to the Internet when you're playing a game that doesn't have online play...
You should tell that to Ubisoft.

Tyeforce said:
Presence data is cool, especially on a handheld. They should at least give the option.

Top Bottom