• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Fox 64 3D |OT| Online? Can't let you do that, Star Fox!

Pyrokai

sfried said:
Yeah, there's that mode which accomodates for both Circle Pad and gyro or purely N64 Circle Pad only, if I'm not mistaken.

Are we sure that's the only thing? Because I thought even if you choose 3DS mode, it asks if you want to turn the gyro controls on or off, so....like what's the point in asking that instead of just the question asking whether you want gyro controls or not?

Confusering....

I just beat my first playthrough on 3DS mode. It was good and I want to play more to take alternate paths. It looks like a good game that will keep me busy for a few weeks at least.

I also played a little bit of battle mode against bots. It doesn't seem much more fun than it was on N64. I just don't think multiplayer works well with SF. I'll play it on all the modes and stuff to see if I end up liking it though.

Man, you guys weren't kidding about Aquas! My hand is dead! I'm taking a break before Zoness or I'm sure my skill will drop considerably. While this isn't a perfect port of the 64 version in sound, I don't want it to be. The game looks and sounds fantastic. And all the incredible gameplay is still there.

I guess 24-yo me > 10-yo me. I don't remember ever getting the option to go to Aquas; always went Sector Y --> Katina. Although, I have yet to get any medals which I used to be able to do consistently. I'm just a little upset I can't use the far camera throughout stages (the one available in all-range mode).

Still I'm enjoying every minute. <3 Star Fox.

FyreWulff

Pyrokai said:
Are we sure that's the only thing? Because I thought even if you choose 3DS mode, it asks if you want to turn the gyro controls on or off, so....like what's the point in asking that instead of just the question asking whether you want gyro controls or not?

Confusering....

Think of it as N64 mode is the literal original version but with new graphics, and 3DS mode is retweaked here and there (like the Solar damage change for flight altitude) in terms of difficulty.

So all the purist fans get their Starfox 64 and the new generation gets a slightly rebalanced Starfox64 without pissing either one off.

Playing through Zoness just bought about a "whoa, this is amazing" feeling I haven't experienced since I first played a 3DS.

They did a great job with the lighting there.

sfried

FyreWulff said:
Think of it as N64 mode is the literal original version but with new graphics, and 3DS mode is retweaked here and there (like the Solar damage change for flight altitude) in terms of difficulty.
I guess I have to start remastering this game because God, even the landmaster levels...I don't recall taking down the cars of the train with the canon taking plenty of shots.

Oh, and Pyrokai: Yeah, I think I'm confussed.

Gonna start easy route now.
Lucky Number Seven Force said:
Playing through Zoness just bought about a "whoa, this is amazing" feeling I haven't experienced since I first played a 3DS.
Dat water...

dwu8991

Banned
d0c_zaius said:
the game is awesome.

The 3d effect is really clean, and besides a couple of times where objects behind the ship obscure things, its really effective.

That's because the 3D isn't very deep! Even at max!

The first medal I got was for Katina. I was pretty surprised at how easily I got it. But yeah, Star Fox is just as amazing as ever!

sfried

Chet Rippo said:
The first medal I got was for Katina. I was pretty surprised at how easily I got it. But yeah, Star Fox is just as amazing as ever!
I think I got mine in Meteor due to warp.

I just got Wolf to say "SERIOUSLY?" at me doing a somersault on
Bolse
. I have never heard him say that before. Oh I laughed.

sfried

demonturkey said:
I just got Wolf to say "SERIOUSLY?" at me doing a somersault on
Bolse
. I have never heard him say that before. Oh I laughed.
I was wondering if that was a new line myself. I've been hearing things here and there that I've never heard before. Perhaps they got cut in the English N64 version due to time constaints.
SpacePirate Ridley said:
Holy fuck the voice of the english racoon. :lol

Thats why he had the voice of Alfonso Valles here then. The voice is awesome, but when you see the design of the racoon you say (that cant be his voice)
That's not a racoon, but a bear.

Ripped though this as quick as I remember. Got all medals and got expert mode going within a few runs. Missing on a few medals there now.

Some of these Score Attack gold medal thresholds are no fucking jokes, though. I thought I was doing pretty well in Corneria with 170ish, but 190? 300 in Meteo?

Clearly I need to find some youtube vids or something if I plan on getting gold since I must be missing something in my line.

Stealth Edit: For a second I thought I double posted there. Hah!

Hylian7

Okay, maybe this has been answered a thousand times, but what exactly is the difference between the "N64" and "3DS" modes in this game? I've been playing the N64 mode the whole time.

sfried

Hylian7 said:
Okay, maybe this has been answered a thousand times, but what exactly is the difference between the "N64" and "3DS" modes in this game? I've been playing the N64 mode the whole time.
3DS mode is Rebalanced Mode. N64 is Normal Mode.

Hylian7

sfried said:
3DS mode is Rebalanced Mode. N64 is Normal Mode.
I know that's what the description says, but what exactly does "rebalanced" mean. What will I actually notice in 3DS mode? I tried Corneria on it and didn't notice much of a difference.

Just beat hard route with all the medals and 1413 points.
Didnt know pepper yelled a different thing when he see the high cost of the mission if you get more points than normal. :lol

Slippy: "Hooray! You did it!"
Me: (&#8722;_&#8722;&#65283;)

For the first time ever, I beat Star Fox 64 all the way through the hard route. No medals, but I finally saved
my dad James
. 932 units. Don't laugh
too hard
. I spent way too much time aileron/barrel rolling. Lost 4 lives in Area 6 vs. Team Star Wolf doing that. Gah. Oh, and I abused the all-range boundary u-turn with bombs against Andross' final form. Cheap but effective.

Man, that
piano theme medley with accompaniment (Credits Theme 2 in Sound Test)
that plays during the final credits is boss! Oh, and that title screen and menu background in the
Arwing hangar with gyro camera look
... that's the Nintendo touch, man. Great job, Q Games.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
First playthrough on 3DS mode, via Hard Route (although through Macbeth), did around 1300 with no deaths.

Second playthrough, I did a straight playthrough of the easy route. Tomorrow I'll tackle a few areas I missed. I hope this games sells well. I need a new good StarFox.

Izayoi

Banned
Willy105 said:
Those are quite possibly some of the worst comparison videos that I've ever had the displeasure of watching the first three seconds of. Someone slap whoever made these in the face.

The game is fucking gorgeous. The mountains in the distance, the reflections on the water, the waves, the literally everything. Best 3D effect on the system by far. Other than the Blue-Marine level, the framerate has been rock solid as well.

sfried

Izayoi said:
Those are quite possibly some of the worst comparison videos that I've ever had the displeasure of watching the first three seconds of. Someone slap whoever made these in the face.

The game is fucking gorgeous. The mountains in the distance, the reflections on the water, the waves, the literally everything. Best 3D effect on the system by far. Other than the Blue-Marine level, the framerate has been rock solid as well.
I think the Blue Marine level was intentionally made to be sluggish. But even then, it runs a bit smoother than the original.

I recall the 64 version on Virtual Console being patched up a couple of times to actually reflect the original's slowdown.

watershed

Banned
Reading some of the comments in this thread and watching some videos online is beginning to make me cave. I'm sorely tempted to get this game tomorrow. Are there any good deals out there?

Cheska

artwalknoon said:
Reading some of the comments in this thread and watching some videos online is beginning to make me cave. I'm sorely tempted to get this game tomorrow. Are there any good deals out there?

If you're brave enough to venture into K-Mart they're offering a $15 gaming coupon with purchase.

Thoraxes

Cheska said:
If you're brave enough to venture into K-Mart they're offering a $15 gaming coupon with purchase.
Oh wow, I may do that too, and just use the $15 towards SotC/ICO later this month.

sfried said:
I think the Blue Marine level was intentionally made to be sluggish. But even then, it runs a bit smoother than the original.

I recall the 64 version on Virtual Console being patched up a couple of times to actually reflect the original's slowdown.

This is correct. Aquas actually doesn't run any slower in terms of FPS in either the 3DS or N64 version. They slowed down the gamespeed (and the text scrolling speed) to better accentuate the feeling of being underwater. And they did indeed patch the game (twice!) to make the VC version emulate the original N64 slowdown accurately.

And that's one of my favourite levels BTW! :D

demonturkey said:

Yep, Japan wins this one. The Andross laugh in the English 3DS version is just LOL worthy!

Of course, the English N64 original is the best http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CSPsbXtCbGc&feature=player_detailpage#t=35s

Peagles

Izayoi said:

I disliked them all if that helps.

seady

I can't believe there are still games these days that doesn't have online for multiplayer. Only Nintendo will do such things.

BTW, what's everyone's best score so far?

I've gone through all 3 paths now and my best score so far is 1,523 hits.

Also, has anyone checked out Score Attack mode yet? The gold medal requirements are really harsh! (180 hits in Corneria!?, 300 hits in Meteo?! wow! that's not easy! - although 400 hits in Area 9 is pretty easy...)

syoaran

caved and bought this game while I was buying popcorn for a film night. Kinda easier than I remember it, but still getting those golds is breaking my hand.

I forgot some of the easy route stages and the hidden links, good stuff.

Thoraxes

Quick question: Any new system owners here pick up a Flame Red 3DS alongside this game? I just want to hear about how it is.

watershed

Banned
I'm surprised and impressed by the eshop content and website for this game. The eshop has multiple videos available, all of which are actually well made and the website is made to be 3ds friendly. A lot of the images are viewable in 3d and the newly added stage guide is helpful. Well done Nintendo I hope u keep it up for all future 3ds games.

Btw, while browsing all this stuff I caved and decided to buy the game tomorrow.

Nocturnowl said:
actually I just want my medal, plus Wolf was owning me, when did he get so good?
Wolf.jpg

You're good... but I'm better.

Pyrokai said:
And did anyone notice Falce doesn't say "Einstein" anymore? He says "genius" when you accidentally shoot him. What's the reasoning behind that? That can't possibly be for copyright, can it? Who the hell copyrighted Einstein?
My guess is, they gave it some thought and decided it was odd that there was a reference to a real person in a fictional universe; for Falco to refer to Fox as 'Einstein', there would have to be an Einstein in the Star Fox world, and such furry parallels do not exist.
Me personally, I prefer 'Einstein', though. :x

This is the game that I've been most looking forward to on 3DS. I just discovered yesterday, however, that the release date for Australia is three days after I leave the country, which, thanks to region locked 3DS, means no Star Fox 3D for a month. Dang it.

Tackhead #9 said:
Wolf.jpg

You're good... but I'm better.
"No Way, I don't Believe it!"
Is what he screamed this morning as I triumphantly outmaneuvered the git with lots of braked banking turns. But damn he's good in this one, I actually feared him for a change.

Still doesn't top Andrew who I shot at from the get go causing him to somersault into a pillar and instantly kill himself, so good.

Single Laser victory and the medal, I'm feeling chuffed.

Thoraxes said:
Quick question: Any new system owners here pick up a Flame Red 3DS alongside this game? I just want to hear about how it is.

I picked up a Japanese Flare Red 3DS a few weeks ago with Star Fox and I think it is the nicest looking of the three colors by far.

WillyFive

I just remembered when
the screen goes white after you defeat the true Andross for like a 10 seconds, making you think you're dead or the game crashed, and then suddenly JAMES McCLOUD comes out of nowhere and says "Don't ever give up, my son." Suddenly, you are flying through the exploding caves of the planet with your father leading you to the surface.

That was, and still is, my favorite climax in a game I have ever played ever.

Willy105 said:
I just remembered when
the screen goes white after you defeat the true Andross for like a 10 seconds, making you think you're dead or the game crashed, and then suddenly JAMES McCLOUD comes out of nowhere and says "Don't ever give up, my son." Suddenly, you are flying through the exploding caves of the planet with your father leading you to the surface.

That was, and still is, my favorite climax in a game I have ever played ever.

Umm
why did this not happen for me?

Top Bottom