• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Fox 64 3D |OT| Online? Can't let you do that, Star Fox!

WillyFive

FyreWulff said:
Not really. Starfox 64 is rare in that almost the entire voiced script in the game is a quotable one-liner. I'm not even sure you could pull that off with a new game if you were intentionally going for it. And the voices are what made them so memorable.

Yeah. Sure, the SNES voices are soothing, but they are not Star Fox 64.

codhand said:
Starfox Assualt is my personal favorite sf.

The multiplayer mode is one of my all time favorites in any game ever. Shame it wasn't online.

Nocturnowl said:
So I noticed that this remake takes a stage naming from Starfox Assault, that being the ice planet is now called Fichina instead of Fortuna, how odd.
It was always called Fichina in Japan. For whatever reason, they decided to rename it in the west after a jungle planet from the first Star Fox. Of course, in Star Fox Assault they had both planets. haha

Emitan

Chet Rippo said:
It was always called Fichina in Japan. For whatever reason, they decided to rename it in the west after a jungle planet from the first Star Fox. Of course, in Star Fox Assault they had both planets. haha
It makes purrrrffeeccct sense. Fortuna was being terraformed in SF64 (according to the player's guide) so by the time Assault happened it was a jungle. And then they happened to find another ice planet and named it Fichina.

Willy105 said:
The multiplayer mode is one of my all time favorites in any game ever. Shame it wasn't online.
Assault's multiplayer mode made the entire game worth the price of admission, disappointing single-player mode aside.

I'm not phased about lack of online, but I would have loved for it to have at least had an option for bots, or more customization. That would have boosted replay value a whole lot.

QuantumSingularity said:
Woo, Best Buy shipped this a day early! First impressions: I did not picture the training racoon(?) to have that voice...
Oh really? Let me see... WTF? The raccoon sounds boss! Why am I going out to fight Andross, it sounds like training raccoon could destroy him with ease.

Emitan

Fernando Rocker said:
I just watched the videos of the training stage (awesome voice, by the way)... please, tell me... can we still use inverted controls, right?
I cant play this game without inverted controls. I seriously won't be able to.

OMG Aero

Tackhead #9 said:
Oh really? Let me see... WTF? The raccoon sounds boss! Why am I going out to fight Andross, it sounds like training raccoon could destroy him with ease.
TAP DAT TOUCH SCREEN
Fernando Rocker said:
I just watched the videos of the training stage (awesome voice, by the way)... please, tell me... can we still use inverted controls, right?
You can invert up and down whenever you want on the pause menu.

qq more

Fernando Rocker said:
Zelda OoT3D has inverted controls for certain things, I'm sure Star Fox 64 3D has this option too.

Holy fuck the voice of the english racoon. :lol

Thats why he had the voice of Alfonso Valles here then. The voice is awesome, but when you see the design of the racoon you say (that cant be his voice)

Jb

Bought it on a whim, and enjoyed it while it lasted. Probably should have waited for a price drop though, 45 EUR for not even 2 hours of gameplay is pretty steep. Oh well.

Emitan

Jay-B said:
Bought it on a whim, and enjoyed it while it lasted. Probably should have waited for a price drop though, 45 EUR for not even 2 hours of gameplay is pretty steep. Oh well.
You played through it 3 times in 2 hours?

Struct09

Fernando Rocker said:

Yes, inverted controls are an option. I turned those on right away.

Just played the tutorial and the first stage. The slidepad is really nice to use in this game.

Also... I can't remember that extremely creepy tutorial bear-dude from the N64 version? What's up with that voice!? It's so weird and unsettling that it's almost awesome :)

WillyFive

Jay-B said:

You haven't finished it.

SpacePirate Ridley said:
Holy fuck the voice of the english racoon. :lol

Thats why he had the voice of Alfonso Valles here then. The voice is awesome, but when you see the design of the racoon you say (that cant be his voice)

Came here to post this LOL! The voices all round are good, but I still prefer their original performance in the N64 versions so far (especially Peppy, the voice actor seems to try a bit too hard here)

Nuclear Muffin said:
Came here to post this LOL! The voices all round are good, but I still prefer their original performance in the N64 versions so far (especially Peppy, the voice actor seems to try a bit too hard here)
I haven't found a way to use the gibberish voices. I really like those... Especially from the SNES game: "BAP-BO-BAP! BAP-WE-MAPE!"

Ninjagorilla said:
I haven't found a way to use the gibberish voices. I really like those... Especially from the SNES game: "BAP-BO-BAP! BAP-WE-MAPE!"

Fox: Du Daa dab we dab!

Peppy: Weh wu wip, we we wip

Slippy: Bibba dibba, Bibba dibba

Falco: We we be Jammin'

Fernando Rocker said:
Fox: Du Daa dab we dab!

Peppy: Weh wu wip, we we wip

Slippy: Bibba dibba, Bibba dibba

Falco: We we be Jammin'
As a Kid I actually thought Peppy' line might have been some very fast instructions in English: " somethingsomething- what we make!"...

I have to say, it's a fantastic remake. It looks great (visuals are some of the best on 3DS and the 3D effect is awesome!), plays great (the gyro controls are very nice, they work very well!) but there is one thing that urks me. The music.

I'm not keen on the remixed music so far (only played through the Easy path so far), much prefer the original N64 OST so far. Voices are good as well, even if I'm not as keen on Peppy as the others.

Other than that, I'm loving it so far!

Jb

qq more said:
Seriously, you only explored like... maybe half of the content. There's many levels you haven't visited yet.
I know that, but I wish you played every planet in a single campaign rather than having to start a new one when you want to take a new route. Seeing the credits roll after such a short period of time is still bumming me out.

qq more

Jay-B said:
I know that, but I wish you played every planet in a single campaign rather than having to start a new one when you want to take a new route. Seeing the credits roll after such a short period of time is still bumming me out.
Ehhh, if that happened then it wouldn't be as exciting to replay the game.

EDIT: If I'm not mistaken, some of the levels also alternates depending on what path you took. Which makes replays even more interesting.

Emitan

qq more said:
Ehhh, if that happened then it wouldn't be as exciting to replay the game.

EDIT: If I'm not mistaken, some of the levels also alternates depending on what path you took.
The best part of playing this game as a kid was trying to discover all of the paths for myself.

The levels don't necessarily change (unless I'm forgetting something) but you might bring allies from other levels into the next stage.

WillyFive

qq more said:
Seriously, you only explored like... maybe half of the content. There's many levels you haven't visited yet.

Much less, since there are three linear paths, and are interchangeable between paths (even if you started on one path, you can change the way the mission plays out and end up in another path).

Not only that, the story changes depending on which planets you go save and which ones you ignore. In one path,
Slippy doesn't get captured
, in another path
You meet Falco's girlfriend
, in another
you fight StarWolf with new ships
, and in another
you protect the Great Fox from being destroyed by missiles, and if you fail, the Great Fox continues to be damaged for the rest of the path

They are all interchangeable, and different events happen depending on which of these different events you triggered, such as
Falco's girlfriend helping out in stopping the missiles heading towards the Great Fox
, or
Bill helping you our in Solar

It's like saying Super Mario Bros. is over when you defeat Bowser in World 1-4. This is a cinematic game, like a movie, and you are the editor of the movie switching between different possible scenes.

Jay-B said:

I feel like that when something similar happen to me when I was playing Solatorobo. The thing is I really thought it was the ending, thank god it was not.

TDLink

Billychu said:
The levels don't necessarily change (unless I'm forgetting something) but you might bring allies from other levels into the next stage.

Venom Changes completely depending on the path you take. Also, the warp routes are obviously completely different from finishing the levels they are in normally.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Fernando Rocker said:

Yes. I switched to inverted controls as soon as I popped the game in this morning.

The game looks great by the way. Zoness was the best looking planet on my play through, but every planet has been upgraded in some massive way.

There are a few instances where I scratch my head, like not giving StarFox team members bodies in the Arwings (at least during scenes showing them up close), and Corneria
at the end when Great Fox is closing in on it.. it's a terrible blurry texture

But overall, this is the showcase title for the 3DS until Super Mario 3D Land.

Jay-B said:

If it's that much trouble to play through for an hour to unlock the remaining levels, maybe you just don't enjoy the game in general? On your second, or third playthrough, you're likely experiencing a majority of new content, so it's not like you're mindlessly replaying it over and over. Score Attack is always there after you unlock the levels, so you can aim for gold medals as well. Or to show off a level that looks great.

Wow the multiplayer in this game is really fantastic. Like almost Mario Kart addictive - especially with the special items for which there seems to be loads of. Lack of online is still such a shame, but at least the bots seem competent enough.

Glad you can unlock expert level bots.

Tiktaalik

I have this coming in the mail, and I was planning on getting a 3DS to go along with it, but at this point, especially with the Nintendo presser coming up on the 13th I'm going to hold off. This game will go on the shelf for a while.

Got my copy and I'm playing through training now.

I might be labeled as a furry for this, but...goddamn this raccoon instructor has a sexy ass voice. @_@

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Electivirus said:

I might be labeled as a furry for this, but...goddamn this raccoon instructor has a sexy ass voice. @_@

9VEaj.png

EvilMario said:
There are a few instances where I scratch my head, like not giving StarFox team members bodies in the Arwings (at least during scenes showing them up close), and Corneria
at the end when Great Fox is closing in on it.. it's a terrible blurry texture

They do have bodies when in their Arwings. You have to look closely, but they are there (unlike the N64 version, where they were just a floating head)

That texture is a bit yucky though. Bit of a shame when the rest of the game looks so great (maybe they just wanted to keep it looking blurry for old times sake? lol)

Even so, I'd say this is the 2nd best looking game currently out for the 3DS, just narrowly edging out Super Street Fighter 4 3D (Resident Evil Mercenaries is still number 1 though by quite a bit and probably will be for quite some time)

demonturkey said:
Wow the multiplayer in this game is really fantastic. Like almost Mario Kart addictive - especially with the special items for which there seems to be loads of. Lack of online is still such a shame, but at least the bots seem competent enough.

Glad you can unlock expert level bots.

Yeah, defo for sure. I loved the multi in SFCommand and this is a fantastic evolution of it.

Such a damn shame that it's not online (what a huge missed opportunity!), but I can see myself getting a lot of mileage out of it in local multi! :D

Thoraxes

If you don't use guides to play the game, and replay to beat all the high-scores and find all the secrets the game has to offer, you'll be in for a treat.

When I was a kid, I played the shit out of this game and found everything. Hell, I even took a picture of my certificate of when you beat the game, with me standing next to it, because I was so proud.

Emitan

Why do I have to play the campaign before unlocking training mode? That makes no sense!

I want to hear the sexy training voice. I am not a gay furry

Teknoman

Electivirus said:

Not really since its the voice, not the raccoon himself/herself (I dont have the game yet, so I dunno). Its not that same strange looking instructor from the original 64 game is it?

Teknoman said:
Not really since its the voice, not the raccoon himself/herself (I dont have the game yet, so I dunno). Its not that same strange looking instructor from the original 64 game is it?

Yes it is. The only character in the original game that never had a voice (and you would have never expected him to have a voice like this LOL!)

Lkr

i want to go get this so badly. i feel shitty paying $40 for a game i bought twice on n64 but i want to play it and i don't have an n64 with me :\

sfried

W-Wow...I don't recall Sector Y/Aquas being this hard...But it must be because I haven't played the original in quite a while.

My fingers are aching after Aquas.

Teknoman

Nuclear Muffin said:
Yes it is. The only character in the original game that never had a voice (and you would have never expected him to have a voice like this LOL!)

Yeah I always thought he'd have a voice similar to Slippy, or at least a younger sounding/kid voice.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Lkr said:
i want to go get this so badly. i feel shitty paying $40 for a game i bought twice on n64 but i want to play it and i don't have an n64 with me :\

It's worth it, in my opinion, even more so for people that loved the original. They went out of their way to polish this game, re-record the voices with the same voice actors, and the 3D is maybe the best the 3DS has to offer right now. Lack of online multiplayer (even though everyone claims to hate StarFox 64 multiplayer) is the only mark I have against the game.

Top Bottom