• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Fox 64 3D |OT| Online? Can't let you do that, Star Fox!

bananaman1234

Unconfirmed Member
Can't believe they disabled wifi for another game. You'd save at most 30 min of battery from having the wifi off? I really don't think this is the reason.

Medalion

Banned
I got the game a couple hours ago

I beat it already, because it's a very very short game but there are still many paths and hidden shit I have to uncover all over again

I clearly have not played this game from beginning to end in ages, I forgot how cool some places looked, especially the ending, fuck that was the N64 amazing

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Do the graphics improve any if the 3D is turned off? Real shame to hear about the bad performance. :(

Also, is that submarine level at least better than the sub 20fps in the N64 version?

Lkr

i ordered it. i had a reward zone $10 certificate expiring tomorrow so I'm happy getting it with $22 after another gift card. gonna go catch the bus at 7:30 and pick that shit up

Emitan

chubigans said:
Do the graphics improve any if the 3D is turned off? Real shame to hear about the bad performance. :(

Also, is that submarine level at least better than the sub 20fps in the N64 version?
It seems to be running really slowly for nostalgic effect. It's not like the performance is that bad.

Mafro

isoku said:
Can't believe they disabled wifi for another game. You'd save at most 30 min of battery from having the wifi off? I really don't think this is the reason.
Can't wait to hear their reasoning for this. It'll be down to some bizarre, backwards programming method they use, no doubt.

Billychu said:
I keep shooting down my team mates. I should not do such things.
Accidentally did this a few times on my first run through. Does your team's health regenerate after each level? I can't remember whether it does or not.

chubigans said:
The only "bad performance" I've noticed is slowdown during explosions in some of the cutscenes after bosses. Sounds like things are being blown a bit out of proportion.

Emitan

Mafro said:
Can't wait to hear their reasoning for this. It'll be down to some bizarre, backwards programming method they use, no doubt.

Accidentally did this a few times on my first run through. Does your team's health regenerate after each level? I can't remember whether it does or not.
It regenerates after each level. I'm not sure if it's a set amount or determined by your performance. I'm not as good at aiming with the circle pad so I feel really bad for any team mates being chased because im almost certainly going to be firing as fast as possible in their direction.

Emitan

NubInaTub said:
So I just earned a medal on a mission on my second playthrough.... what does this mean lol.
You got enough hits. For example, you need 150 hits to get the medal for Corneria.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Mafro said:
The only "bad performance" I've noticed is slowdown during explosions in some of the cutscenes after bosses. Sounds like things are being blown a bit out of proportion.
Oh. If thats the case then it sounds fine.

I swear the team mates have a penchant for lunging into my lasers far more in this one, at least Falco keeps complementing me on my genius.

Last thing I did was inadvertently shoot down Peppy in
Venom 2, this may be spoiler worthy to some
, I blame Pigma but in my shame I shut the game off....
actually I just want my medal, plus Wolf was owning me, when did he get so good?

Emitan

I've definitely had slow down in some all range mode battles.

Nocturnowl said:
I swear the team mates have a penchant for lunging into my lasers far more in this one, at least Falco keeps complementing me on my genius.

Last thing I did was inadvertently shoot down Peppy in Venom 2, I blame Pigma but in my shame I shut the game off....
actually I just want my medal, plus Wolf was owning me, when did he get so good?
Wolf is way too good in this game. He nearly killed me.

Billychu said:
I've definitely had slow down in some all range mode battles.

Wolf is way too good in this game. He nearly killed me.
I've just come to the horrific realisation that i'm going to have the craptastic single shot laser upon my return to the game.

I'm rocking the N64 setup (so type B) but breaking and firing at the same time is a bit of a nuisance, it really messed up my trip through area 6

Only encountered slow down during large explosions and Aquas. I miss the super big boss explosions of the original though.

Also this might sound a bit weird, but does Andross sounds... Nigerian to anyone else? His laugh doesn't sound as good (or as long) as it used to. Honestly out of all the remade voice acting his is the only one that bothers me slightly.

Emitan

Nocturnowl said:
I've just come to the horrific realisation that i'm going to have the craptastic single shot laser upon my return to the game.

I'm rocking the N64 setup (so type B) but breaking and firing at the same time is a bit of a nuisance, it really messed up my trip through area 6
You are already dead.

demonturkey said:
Only encountered slow down during large explosions and Aquas. I miss the super big boss explosions of the original though.

Also this might sound a bit weird, but does Andross sounds... Nigerian to anyone else? His laugh doesn't sound as good (or as long) as it used to. Honestly out of all the remade voice acting his is the only one that bothers me slightly.
He's certainly lacking his creepy ass laugh from the original, in fact i'd go as far as to call his new laugh abysmal.

Hopefully I can give it another listen when I humiliate the Starwolf team with a single laser tour de force.
dammit, Billychu is right

Emitan

Bolse has really good bump/normal mapping on the surface. I love the shading effects going on in this game.

For anyone who says this game doesn't have slowdown try flying really close to the Bolse core and destroying all the weakpoints. There's noticable slow down. But it's not a deal breaker by any means.

Japanese got a cool sounding 3DS Andross.

Nocturnowl said:
Hopefully I can give it another listen when I humiliate the Starwolf team with a single laser tour de force.

You might already know this but, shooting your teammates adversaries a few times will give them the upper hand and let you focus on Wolf. Also somersaulting a lot is key, as Wolf will just copy you if you U-Turn.

Emitan

Shadowlink said:
Was this game ever releasing Sunday, or did they change the date because stores broke street date?
Sunday is 9/11's 10th anniversary and an actual holiday. It wasn't ever releasing then as far as I know.

Was there a cockpit view in the original N64? I was bummed that they took it out.

I thought my camera button was broken at first!

And that tutorial was annoying as hell! I already know how to play the darn game, let me skip it for crying out loud!!!

The game brings back tons of memories. I love the voices. So much better and immersive than those horrible jibberish in Star Fox Command.

By the way, I still can't get over the fact that Assault and Command were so horrible. Command is, in my opinion, the worst Star Fox game.

Medalion

Banned
The gibberish was meant to harken back to the original Star Fox where it was more or less like that

The voice acting of this 3DS release is at best adequate

I forgot how much I missed the Forever Train level

Billychu said:
Sunday is 9/11's 10th anniversary and an actual holiday. It wasn't ever releasing then as far as I know.
Willy105 said:
It is releasing today, Sunday is 9/11.
Oh! I know Sunday is 9/11, but I always assumed Nintendo games would release on Sunday. Thanks!

Just got back from picking this up!

Billychu said:
It was actually slated for this Sunday a while back, but the date got moved to today about a month or two ago.

Pyrrhus

Absolutely loving the redone music. The samples in the original game were... assy. These are not. I only wish they'd done this with Ocarina because the results are fantastic. I listened to some of the SF 64 3D music uploaded to Youtube before buying the game and was a little underwhelmed, but the songs sound a lot richer in the actual game. I can only assume the capture method or encoding on the Youtube stuff is to blame.

I was also impressed by the crazy particle effects used for the rising cinders in the Solar level. The visuals in the hyperspace warp in the Meteo deserve mention as well.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Tyeforce said:
I believe he's referring to the fact that Ocarina of Time 3D kicks you offline when you play it, so you don't appear online to your Friend List and you can't see other people playing it, too. Star Fox 64 3D must be the same way.
... So it wasn't a bug with Zelda?

JazzmanZ said:
So can someone tell me what's so different between regular mode and 64 mode? cuz i'm not noticing any difference.

Adjusted difficulty on things like how easily your wings come off, power-up placement and enemy durability, especially on bosses. Star Wolf appear to be a little easier to take down in 3DS mode, too.

Medalion

Banned
I finally got to the Solar level, for some reason I found it a tad dissapointing graphically, I was playing in 2D, maybe if I tried it again in 3D it would look better but the textures or whatever for the magma or whatever didn't look impressive

APZonerunner said:
Adjusted difficulty on things like how easily your wings come off, power-up placement and enemy durability, especially on bosses. Star Wolf appear to be a little easier to take down in 3DS mode, too.

argh i knew it felt way too easy to me , i'm gonna see if n64 makes it more difficult.

Pyrokai

So am I right in that the only differences in 3DS vs. N64 mode is the four face button layout? Everything else seems exactly the same, but you guys are claiming the stages behave slightly differently, too?

General Shank-a-snatch said:
I guess I should be thankful.

I'm pretty sure this is to recreate the way the game plays on N64 to a tee, not so much a technical issue. For example, if they got rid of some pop-in, it could potentially change how the game plays/give you more time to do something than on the N64. It's obvious it was a design choice. Also, never noticed any performance issues. The only times I've noticed a "framerate drop" are the same exact places they happened on the N64, suggesting it was on purpose. They did this with OoT3D as well in order to preserve/ensure the game plays exactly the way it did on the N64.

Anyway, really impressed with the game. Seems like a slightly better remake than OoT was, honestly. The music is loads better this time, too....doesn't sound so plainly MIDI anymore.

And did anyone notice Falce doesn't say "Einstein" anymore? He says "genius" when you accidentally shoot him. What's the reasoning behind that? That can't possibly be for copyright, can it? Who the hell copyrighted Einstein?

sfried

Finished Hard Route on Nintendo 64 mode. Didn't know there was a second credit roll after the initial credits (although nothing really is show other than just staff roll, so I doubt that counts as spoiler).

All I have to say about Zoness: Dat water.
Pyrokai said:
And did anyone notice Falce doesn't say "Einstein" anymore? He says "genius" when you accidentally shoot him. What's the reasoning behind that? That can't possibly be for copyright, can it? Who the hell copyrighted Einstein?
I noticed some of the translation is more literal with some of the Woolsyisms taken out. It's only for the smaller less memorable dialogue, because other than that, it's exactly the same.

Pyrokai

sfried said:
Finished Hard Route on Nintendo 64 mode. Didn't know there was a second credit roll after the initial credits (although nothing really is show other than just staff roll, so I doubt that counts as spoiler).

All I have to say about Zoness: Dat water.

I noticed some of the translation is more literal with some of the Woolsyisms taken out.

Wooslyisms? Forgive me if I should know what this is... :(

Emitan

The Einstein estate is obviously upset at the furry connotations of his name appearing in the Lylat system

Pyrokai said:
Wooslyisms? Forgive me if I should know what this is... :(
Ted Woosly was the translator for many of Square Soft's games in the 90s. He had a certain wacky style to his translations.

Pyrokai

Billychu said:
The Einstein estate is obviously upset at the furry connotations of his name appearing in the Lylat system

Ted Woosly was the translator for many of Square Soft's games in the 90s. He had a certain wacky style to his translations.

So were there any other lines changed that I haven't noticed yet? I still haven't played all the stages.

Man this game is so good. Also, I got the last copy when I picked it up today at my local Target :eek:

sfried

Pyrokai said:
So were there any other lines changed that I haven't noticed yet? I still haven't played all the stages.

Man this game is so good. Also, I got the last copy when I picked it up today at my local Target :eek:
If you haven't noticed it, then its all fine and good, becaue it's very, VERY minor.

Pyrokai

sfried said:
If you haven't noticed it, then its all fine and good, becaue it's very, VERY minor.

I'm sure I'll notice them when I reach them :p

Also, I think I was confused earlier with the N64 vs. 3DS modes. I thought you meant controls only, but I forgot that at the beginning you can choose which "version" of the game you want to play. What all are the differences we've noticed so far between choosing Nintendo 3DS and Nintendo 64?

sfried

Pyrokai said:
I'm sure I'll notice them when I reach them :p

Also, I think I was confused earlier with the N64 vs. 3DS modes. I thought you meant controls only, but I forgot that at the beginning you can choose which "version" of the game you want to play. What all are the differences we've noticed so far between choosing Nintendo 3DS and Nintendo 64?
Yeah, there's that mode which accomodates for both Circle Pad and gyro or purely N64 Circle Pad only, if I'm not mistaken.
Willy105 said:
Funny how the Youtube commenter says "the 3DS version is blurrier" no thanks to a non-crisp video capture of a 3DS game.

Although upon comparison, SF643D looks more like Rogue Leader with the textures and the lighting/mapping.

Top Bottom