• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Fox 64 3D |OT| Online? Can't let you do that, Star Fox!

WillyFive

Scythian Empire said:
Umm
why did this not happen for me?

You shouldn't have read that, because it's a spoiler to you.

This happens on the true ending, on the hard path (Venom through Area 6)

Scanna

Mr Touchdown said:
607_star-fox.gif
kudos

OMG Aero

It's really annoying that you can't skip the credits after seeing them once, especially in a game made for multiple playthroughs.

WillyFive

OMG Aero said:
It's really annoying that you can't skip the credits after seeing them once, especially in a game made for multiple playthroughs.

The credits are awesome, in the N64 game I would always watch them to completion.

Sh0k

OMG Aero said:

Just finished the game for the second time right now and they let me skip the credits by pressing start.

OMG Aero said:

You can, you just have to press start before the skip message disappears.

You can skip every cutscene in the game (The N64 version let you skip all cutscenes as well, except for the ending/credits)

*Watched Gamespot-Review

Quote: "You can play through this game in less than one hour"

*Laughed and cancelled order

Sry but 45 € for one hour? (one playthrough)

Never, Nintendo, never!
I must say that I'm not someone who enjoys replaying the same missions again and again.

Emitan

The perfect Dark said:
*Watched Gamespot-Review

Never, Nintendo, never!
I must say that I'm not someone who enjoys replaying the same missions again and again.
You need to play it at least 3 times before you even see every level in the game.

jokkir

The perfect Dark said:
*Watched Gamespot-Review

Never, Nintendo, never!

You clearly know nothing about the game.

Read up more things about it or play the N64 version.

Expert mode better retain Fox McCloud's inherited sunglasses, can't wait for some wing destroying expert mode.

I have yet to try score attack, any difference to the standard missions?

Emitan

Nocturnowl said:
Expert mode better retain Fox McCloud's inherited sunglasses, can't wait for some wing destroying expert mode.

I have yet to try score attack, any difference to the standard missions?
Nope. But you start off with a single laser and 3 bombs. Which makes it harder.

Billychu said:
Nope. But you start off with a single laser and 3 bombs. Which makes it harder.
Then I shall stick to getting the standard medals on the N64 mode for now, Area 6 is up next, 300 points if memory serves.

Emitan

Nocturnowl said:
Then I shall stick to getting the standard medals on the N64 mode for now, Area 6 is up next, 300 points if memory serves.
I got 330 on it yesterday but accidentally shot down Peppy :(

jokkir said:
You clearly know nothing about the game.

Read up more things about it or play the N64 version.

I played every Starfox except the N64 version. I know simply everything about this game 'cause i read many reviews and previews ;9

Boney

Banned
Billychu said:
Expert mode, I would assume. I've been too busy with score attack mode to bother with medals in the normal game.
A shame because the N64 version also unlocked (the awful) on foot for multi. A little new extra would've been nice.

Emitan

Boney said:
A shame because the N64 version also unlocked (the awful) on foot for multi. A little new extra would've been nice.
You unlock online play for getting all the medals in expert mode

Billychu said:
I got 330 on it yesterday but accidentally shot down Peppy :(
"What's the big idea fox Billychu?!"

I'm trying to remember the best way of getting points for area 6, should I be focusing on those disc like spacestation things and the big enemy cruisers near the end? they are worth a lot of points but then the amount of enemies buzzing around could be more worth my time, well the brakes will be getting plenty of use.

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs
OK, I just started playing this game and tried out the training mode. The controls took a bit to get used to (used inverted flying and type B), but became quickly acclimated to them. The gyro mode works alright, but I think I'll stick to the traditional controls.

As for the training raccoon's new voice, he sounds an awful lot like this guy:

_1265932168.jpg

WillyFive

The perfect Dark said:
*Watched Gamespot-Review

Never, Nintendo, never!

You have not played Star Fox missions. This game is more likely to give you 20 hours of playtime than one.

WillyFive

Medalion said:
Dumbest review ever

They have missed the point of Star Fox and have never played it before it sounds to me

Gamespot wasn't really good with console game reviews back in the 90's. They were mostly about PC games, and segregated their site for console games. Most of their console reviews back then sound troll-ish as well.

Besides, Gamespot is mostly all-new people now, so you can't tell if they played it first or not.

Fess

The perfect Dark said:
*Watched Gamespot-Review

Never, Nintendo, never!
It's definitely short, but how long does it take to play through any action game from the pre 3D era? (pre PS1) They were all short in playtime. What they had though was replayability because of higher difficulty, and highscore tables. SF643D is too easy at least from the start, the first playthrough goes fast, but you're unlocking stuff and there are different routes to play so unless you aren't really liking it you won't even think about stop playing after the first playthrough.
There is multiplayer too, you can play with a friend (even though he/she doesn't own the game, using the Download play function) which is quite fun.

What's this N64 mode people keep mentioning? Is it just a control scheme or can you choose between the reworked graphics and the original game?

I haven't picked this up yet but I'm pretty excited. The only thing I know will annoy (and some others have already mentioned it) is that this game really needs an extra shoulder button so you can brake and shoot at the same time.

qq more

The perfect Dark said:
I played every Starfox except the N64 version. I know simply everything about this game 'cause i read many reviews and previews ;9
So you've played Adventures, Assault and Command, which are all shitty games and yet refuse to give 64 (which is a good game) a try?

:|

Emitan

dr3upmushroom said:
What's this N64 mode people keep mentioning? Is it just a control scheme or can you choose between the reworked graphics and the original game?

I haven't picked this up yet but I'm pretty excited. The only thing I know will annoy (and some others have already mentioned it) is that this game really needs an extra shoulder button so you can brake and shoot at the same time.
They have the same graphics. N64 mode is the original game. 3DS mode is apparently easier with more plentiful powerups.

qq more

Billychu said:
They have the same graphics. N64 mode is the original game. 3DS mode is apparently easier with more plentiful powerups.
Wait, so the N64 mode actually includes the original graphics? ...What about the voices?

Or am I just reading you wrong?

EDIT: Oops, probably am.

VariantX

The perfect Dark said:
*Watched Gamespot-Review

Never, Nintendo, never!

Of all the reviews to base a purchase on, you pick the one where the reviewer doesn't know what the hell they are talking about. The replayability comes from discovering new stages and branching paths by playing the stages differently than on the first playthrough. If you do everything then it's an 8-10 hour game easily. Hell, even the final stage is different depending on which path you come from.

Emitan

qq more said:
Wait, so the N64 mode actually includes the original graphics? ...What about the voices?

No. Both versions have the same (new and updated graphics), as well as the new voices. The only differences are gameplay.

qq more said:

Haha! Yeah, since he said right in the post you quoted, "They have the same graphics," I'm guessing you might be reading him wrong.

Figured it was something like that, I didn't see anything in trailers about an N64 graphics mode. Would have been a nice addition though.

StarFox is one of my favorite games, so I'm probably just going to go ahead and get it today or tomorrow, but I wonder how it's selling and whether it would be worth it to wait. I didn't think Devil Survivor Overclocked would be featured in too many sales but Amazon had it in a "Buy One Get One Free" a few days after it came out. I'm sure I'd get $40 worth of entertainment out of it as it's one of those games I just get an itch to play through every now and then, but I bet I played through the game over a hundred time easy as a kid, and it feels weird paying $40 for a game I know inside and out.

Teknoman

The perfect Dark said:

In that case, you dont know about 64. Its got a decent amount of alternate paths and secrets to find, which should give a good amount or replay value.

qq more

Billychu said:
No. Both versions have the same (new and updated graphics), as well as the new voices. The only differences are gameplay.
Ah, interesting. I really can't wait to get my hands on this remake. I'm really impressed that Nintendo managed to get all of the original VAs (minus Falco afaik) for the remake. I really hope SF643D is a new reboot and they make a true sequel and pretend crap like Adventures, Assault and Command never happened. :>

Lkr

ok how the hell are you guys beating this game so easily? the 3DS controls are so much harder than the n64 controller. specifically in terms of circle pad vs analog

Emitan

Lkr said:
ok how the hell are you guys beating this game so easily? the 3DS controls are so much harder than the n64 controller. specifically in terms of circle pad vs analog
Hundreds of hours of experience. But by comparison I'm complete garbage at this game compared to the N64 version. It took me 10 tries to (Meteo spoiler)
use the warp

Billychu said:
Hundreds of hours of experience. But by comparison I'm complete garbage at this game compared to the N64 version. It took me 10 tries to (Meteo spoiler)
use the warp
I was finding it impossible, and then I remembered that the bank turns still work when you are spinning.
I do have some aiming problems though

Lkr

Billychu said:
use the warp
i couldn't do that or
the switches on macbeth

The perfect Dark said:

You dont know shit.

By playing all Star Fox you mean adventures, assault and command?

Becuase that is not playing star fox.
And assault is shorter than 64.

Top Bottom