• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Fox 64 3D |OT| Online? Can't let you do that, Star Fox!

Medalion

Banned
If it's any comfort, Star Fox 64 (3D) is a very close 2nd, but the music from the original is untouchable to me, too damned good

WillyFive

I think both Star Fox and Star Fox 64 have fantastic music. I see no difference in quality. In fact, I usually get some tracks mixed up between the two.

Just played through it the first time. Played through my standard SF64 high score route:

Corneria -> Meteo -(warp)> Katina -> Sector X -> Macbeth -> Area 6 -> Venom 2

1535 hits. Not bad for my first time through on a new version.

Took me a couple tries to hit the warp on Meteo due to not being used to the slide pad. Disappointing Katina, Macbeth, and Area 6 runs--was taking it too safe in Area 6 when it came to the giant ships, tending to veer out of their way before I fully destroyed them. Got all 227 hits on Venom 2, which was nice. Got a medal on each mission. Feels good man.

Not looking forward to re earning the medals on Aquas, Solar, and Sector Z.

I played the SNES Starfox A LOT and knew the game inside out, but not so much with SF64. What are all the secret areas in the game and how do you get to them? Is there a blackhole like in the original?

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
KennyLinder said:
I played the SNES Starfox A LOT and knew the game inside out, but not so much with SF64. What are all the secret areas in the game and how do you get to them? Is there a blackhole like in the original?

Youtube, gamefaqs, google search. Hell, even the OP gives meaty hints to that stuff.

Medalion

Banned
I played the SNES to know that hidden area you refer to, but I also played quite a bit of the 64 version and I don't recall a secret area like the SNES one in the 64 version...

Medalion

Banned
Although I should correct myself, there is something "similar", there are warp "rings" that you can get for example in Meteo, and they take you to a special zone that is sorta trippy like the "Out of the Dimension" but it's not quite the same thing... no huge polygonal slot machine bosses

Is any place going to have this on sale next week? It looks really good and I'm kind of desperate for some actual 3D content worth playing for my 3DS, but I've never really been into the Star Fox games (or space shooters in general) so I don't really feel like spending $40 on it. $30 and I'd bite instantly.

Picked this up at K-Mart earlier and got the 15 dollar coupon. Never played Starfox 64 before, so I was looking forward to this (played the Super Nintendo one to death). Was surprised at how easy the campaign is to complete since I remember dying a lot in the SNES one. I'm going to switch to the N64 version next playthrough, but I think the real challenge will be coming from the medals. Apparently I suck at shooting targets since it took 3 tries to get bronze on the first level.

gatti-man

nincompoop said:
Is any place going to have this on sale next week? It looks really good and I'm kind of desperate for some actual 3D content worth playing for my 3DS, but I've never really been into the Star Fox games (or space shooters in general) so I don't really feel like spending $40 on it. $30 and I'd bite instantly.
Just buy it at $40 to support all of us who desperately love star fox and hope nintendo continues the series <3

Teknoman

KennyLinder said:

I think there is. Something about asteroid rings.

hatchx

Banned
I just picked it up after going to two different gamestops. The first two had totally sold out, and the third one I went two only had two copies left.

The stores said they only got about ten copies each. I was actually surprised it sold so well, I really thought this game would tank hard.

I'm four missions in and I really enjoy it. It's SF64 as I've come to know it, but with better graphics and portable. I did a little bit of multiplayer and it's a fun diversion. Much better than the way it used to be on the N64.

All in all, they need to make a brand new starfox with:

1. Single Player of the same length
2. More robust multiplayer
3. Some sort of co-op horde mode, or four player co-op horde mode. I want to take on an army of ships with a friend.

Medalion

Banned
StarFoxSlotMachine.png

Fuk u Assdross, this boss gives money!

Just got all the medals, now to expert mode. 12 hours marks the clock, and this game has little about time staying in menus or intros, so mostly of it its playtime.
But yeah, you can beat the game in an hour...

watershed

Banned
Dang it, Costco doesn't have this game yet and there are no more kmarts left in my area :(
I may have to go to gamestop to get this game after all :(

Luigi87

SpacePirate Ridley said:
Just got all the medals, now to expert mode. 12 hours marks the clock, and this game has little about time staying in menus or intros, so mostly of it its playtime.
But yeah, you can beat the game in an hour...

=(
I've only got two medals so far... Would have three, but got short-changed at Venom 2...

Medalion

Banned
This is the inherent problem with on-rails games

Unless you really suck and keep dying, the game takes you from beginning to end in a generally fixed amount of time

The point is to discover how open up hidden areas, alternate paths etc

Whoever mentioned the U-Turn and teleport tip for
Andross' Brain
let it be known you have my gratitude, makes my trips to that boss end far quicker

Willy105 said:
I just remembered when
the screen goes white after you defeat the true Andross for like a 10 seconds, making you think you're dead or the game crashed, and then suddenly JAMES McCLOUD comes out of nowhere and says "Don't ever give up, my son." Suddenly, you are flying through the exploding caves of the planet with your father leading you to the surface.

That was, and still is, my favorite climax in a game I have ever played ever.

So good,

edit: whats this u turn and teleport trick now?

Medalion said:
The original SNES Star Fox is still the best, come at me bro

Definitely my favorite.

I had time for a few stages yesterday and I have to say this turned out really well. The 3D looks really great and the game play feels really good too.

DoomXploder7 said:
So good,

edit: whats this u turn and teleport trick now?

Well simply put..
Trying to shoot the weakpoint on the back of the brain is something of a pain since Andross follows you closely and the somersault isn't going to be much use in this case. But shooting at the front of the brain causes Andross to teleport, if you U-turn following this you can usually get yourself a good shot at the weakpoint and then continually repeat the process.

The Hermit

Medalion said:
If it's any comfort, Star Fox 64 (3D) is a very close 2nd, but the music from the original is untouchable to me, too damned good

2hf00lf.jpg

Its always good to meet other posters with good taste. Cheers!

WTF, I quoted your avatar and got this instead...

Medalion

Banned
Baiano19 said:
2hf00lf.jpg

Its always good to meet other posters with good taste. Cheers!

WTF, I quoted your avatar and got this instead...
That was the old avatar I had when we still were allowed animated ones, but they are both Gillian Jacobs :p

jokkir

Does this game allow you to erase all saved data? Can't check right now, I'm in the middle of playing >__>.

I want to know because I might want to restart getting all the medals again.

Emitan

jokkir said:
Does this game allow you to erase all saved data? Can't check right now, I'm in the middle of playing >__>.

I want to know because I might want to restart getting all the medals again.
There's an option for something like that in the menu.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
Got a message from Peppy in the game after beating it for the fourth time that said you can do an unlocked charge shot by holding L+R while you charge. I've always done those shots by just letting them out really fast, before the lock appears, but a cursory glance at the internet seems to imply this L+R thing is new? I see no reference to it anywhere at least. When I tried it it worked as advertised, charging a blast while holding L+R made the lock-on never happen as long as I held them.

THIS right here is how I'll be able to actually attempt some of those gold medals in score attack. Whole new ballgame folks. Wonder if it only works in 3DS Mode though, since N64 Mode claims to reproduce faithfully the N64 original, and I haven't been able to really figure out what that would entail beyond "can't use gyro." If so, guess I'll never be getting THOSE medals.

Emitan

Tathanen said:
Got a message from Peppy in the game after beating it for the fourth time that said you can do an unlocked charge shot by holding L+R while you charge. I've always done those shots by just letting them out really fast, before the lock appears, but a cursory glance at the internet seems to imply this L+R thing is new? I see no reference to it anywhere at least. When I tried it it worked as advertised, charging a blast while holding L+R made the lock-on never happen as long as I held them.

THIS right here is how I'll be able to actually attempt some of those gold medals in score attack. Whole new ballgame folks. Wonder if it only works in 3DS Mode though, since N64 Mode claims to reproduce faithfully the N64 original, and I haven't been able to really figure out what that would entail beyond "can't use gyro." If so, guess I'll never be getting THOSE medals.
You could do that in the N64 version. I found that out this year. I've been playing the game since it game out almost religiously. Yeah...

Using L+R to not lock on has been in since the N64 version (where it was technically Z+R I suppose). For instance, watch this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qMR-lgxNWs0&feature=channel_video_title

He makes extensive use of it. Also watch this and his other videos for ideas for getting higher scores as well as making yourself feel incredibly inadequate.

And I should mention, near as I could tell, those weird rocks at 1:10 that give you hits for hitting them with charge shots are still in; as in, they still give you hits when you do so.

Not sure. I've always hated Solar and hated that stupid method. Really makes getting high scores more about how much bullshit you can deal with instead of actual skills.

sfried

The perfect Dark said:
I played every Starfox except the N64 version. I know simply everything about this game 'cause i read many reviews and previews ;9
Now where was that "Complaining about games I've never played on message boards" Paper Mario pic again...
richiek said:
As for the training raccoon's new voice, he sounds an awful lot like this guy:
*Toy Story 3 pic*
...That's because he's a bear, not a racoon.

jokkir

I'm trying out the gyro controls again and it's actually pretty fun. A bit frustrating but fun.

Kinda seems like a brand new game, actually

Anth0ny

Just finished my first playthrough.

The 3DS version sure is pretty, but the music and voice acting just sucks compared to the N64 version. For that reason alone, N64 is still my definitive version.

But this is still fun. Time to 100% =)

Top Bottom