• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Fox 64 3D |OT| Online? Can't let you do that, Star Fox!

D

Deleted member 74300

Unconfirmed Member
I hate Wolf right now. Ruined my chance to get a metal on hard Venom. I swear I 1 shot killed Andrew when I first found him and the rest went down easy as well. Wolf just wouldn't stop flying away ruining my score. It felt like brain Andross was harder than Star Wolf in this game but it could be because I haven't fought him in awhile.

Emitan

The Xtortionist said:
I only played in 3DS mode and it seemed harder than I remember. I lost Peppy at one point which NEVER happened to me in the original game.
The aiming is harder because the circle pad isnt as good as an analog stick. I lost 2 of my team mates in one run.

JacksUsername said:
Was surprised at how easy the campaign is to complete since I remember dying a lot in the SNES one.
It's interesting you should mention that actually; there's a consensus that the SNES one was harder than the N64 one, and that's how I remember it being too, but I replayed the first route (admittedly the easiest) on the SNES about a month ago without losing a single life. Biggest challenge was dealing with the crazy pop-up on Meteor.

When I get a chance, I'll have to try routes 2 and 3 again and see how I fare. I remember finding the weather machine in Titania being annoying, and getting murdered by Monarch Dodora on Fortuna, but I reckon I'm a lot better now than I was as a kid.

...Of course, spending my day playing a 20 year old game when there's a perfectly good remake of a thirteen year old game coming out seems a bit pointless.

Maaseru

Banned
WTF!!!! Can't you skip the credits!!! WTf This is why I hate Nintendo games, you can;t get to skip shit! Am I gonna have to wait 5 min for it to end everytime on a game like this?!

Emitan

The Xtortionist said:
So is 3DS mode easier or harder than N64 mode?
It's supposed to be easier. I haven't tried it yet because I don't have any interest in an easier mode. I'll give it a try eventually.

jokkir

Maaseru said:
WTF!!!! Can't you skip the credits!!! WTf This is why I hate Nintendo games, you can;t get to skip shit! Am I gonna have to wait 5 min for it to end everytime on a game like this?!

You can. You probably just beat the game the first time and couldn't skip it.

Teknoman

Maaseru said:

Enjoy the music.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
Yeah for cinemas you have to watch them the first time, and can skip them every time after that.

I'd be very interested to see some sort of break down regarding what the SPECIFIC differences between the 3DS and N64 modes are. "Difficulty" doesn't mean much. Is it damage taken? Enemy patterns? Changes to how the controls respond? I have the feeling I won't really notice when I actually play through the N64 mode.

jokkir

I just beat 3DS mode using gyro controls.

Macbeth blows my mind each time I go there.

Tathanen said:
I'd be very interested to see some sort of break down regarding what the SPECIFIC differences between the 3DS and N64 modes are. "Difficulty" doesn't mean much. Is it damage taken? Enemy patterns? Changes to how the controls respond? I have the feeling I won't really notice when I actually play through the N64 mode.

Does N64 mode have continues? The 3DS mode has it.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
jokkir said:

Oh yeah I did read that they have that. I haven't died even once though, much less had the chance to use a continue. Doubt I'll miss the continues until I play Expert mode.

Luigi87

jokkir said:
I just beat 3DS mode using gyro controls.

Macbeth blows my mind each time I go there.

Haven't had a game over yet, but the manual says only 3DS mode has continues.

Teknoman

Seems like the idea way to play the game is with controls type B, Inverted (well probably varies here), and N64 mode if you're going in using normal controls.

Is it even possible to lock onto an enemy and shoot a bomb using control type A, without twisting up your fingers?

Game seemed much easier to me in 3DS mode too, especially since I killed Sector Y's boss in a couple hyper laser hits...unless the hyper laser is much more powerful than I remember.

Billychu said:
They have the same graphics. N64 mode is the original game. 3DS mode is apparently easier with more plentiful powerups.

I see...because i've never had so many bombs in any Star Fox game at once. Guess i'll restart on N64 mode before I get any further.

FyreWulff

Tathanen said:
Yeah for cinemas you have to watch them the first time, and can skip them every time after that.

I'd give it a couple of weeks, someone will probably write a FAQ on it.

AniHawk

did hard path on 3ds mode, easy path on n64 mode. it was really difficult not to stray into the hard/medium path on n64 mode.

3ds mode is really, really easy. doubt i'll go back to it. game overall got the type of visual upgrade i was expecting from ocarina of time, although it is lacking in content, comparatively. still, the short burst gameplay makes this an awesome handheld game, probably one of the few console games that transitions really well to the handheld space.

Teknoman

Honestly, whats the story behind Andross just being disembodied at the end? I've always wondered that...

I guess he just took his experiments so far, he eventually started experimenting on himself.

Venom 1 on Expert is still a bitch. Nothing has changed there. What is the special reward for getting all 45 Gold Medals (3DS, N64, Expert) in Story mode and 45 in Score Attack (3DS, N64, Expert), if any?

Teknoman

TSA said:
Venom 1 on Expert is still a bitch. Nothing has changed there. What is the special reward for getting all 45 Gold Medals (3DS, N64, Expert) in Story mode and 45 in Score Attack (3DS, N64, Expert), if any?

SNES Star Fox as an unlock or SNES Star Fox stages in the SF64 3D engine would've been awesome, but I know thats not going to happen.

Diortem7

After all these years I was finally able to get the true ending! I've been playing the game on N64 mode and it seems a lot easier than the original. Star Wolf in particular is a lot easier to take down.

Also, I'm one of those people that have the original game burned into their memory. At first I didn't like the new voices or the music, but the more I played it the more I became used to the new audio. I'm content now.

artwalknoon said:
Does this game have a cap on how many bombs you can carry? IIRC on the N64 you maxed out at 9 bombs.
Yeah, same limit as the 64 version. Anyways, I went through score attack mode and got at least a silver medal on each mission. I actually got a gold medal on Solar and Fichina (Fichina wasn't as surprising).

Hey, High Score GAF. What's going on?

Mine are...

Nintendo 3DS Mode:
1447 Hits. No Continues.
CO 168, SY 166, AQ 153, ZO 258, SZ 106, A6 369, VE 227

Nintendo 64 Mode:
1359 Hits. No Continues.
CO 172, ME 233, FI 64, SO 110, MA 160, A6 393, VE 227.

We could start a leaderboard with photos for verification? 'Continues' counts as Dying, Restarting a Mission or turning off the machine during play, so it has to be in 'one run'. The game tracks this.

APZonerunner said:
Hey, High Score GAF. What's going on?

Mine are...

Nintendo 3DS Mode:
1447 Hits. No Continues.
CO 168, SY 166, AQ 153, ZO 258, SZ 106, A6 369, VE 227

Nintendo 64 Mode:
1359 Hits. No Continues.
CO 172, ME 233, FI 64, SO 110, MA 160, A6 393, VE 227.

We could start a leaderboard with photos for verification? 'Continues' counts as Dying, Restarting a Mission or turning off the machine during play, so it has to be in 'one run'. The game tracks this.

With the charged shot trick, scores should be in the well over the 2000 range on the high score route of Corneria - Meteos - Katina - Sector X - Macbeth - Area 6 - Venom 2. What sucks about this version is that the pure high score run, ie, all 7 stages, is rendered pointless in the 3D version. You can save after any level after your best attempt, and if you screw up on the following level, reset the game/system, and you can load back to before the level with all your power-ups intact. On the N64, you could only restart a level, but lose your laser power-up and you bomb count went back to 3. Just another way this version is inferior to the original.

TSA said:
With the charged shot trick, scores should be in the well over the 2000 range on the high score route of Corneria - Meteos - Katina - Sector X - Macbeth - Area 6 - Venom 2. What sucks about this version is that the pure high score run, ie, all 7 stages, is rendered pointless in the 3D version. You can save after any level after your best attempt, and if you screw up on the following level, reset the game/system, and you can load back to before the level with all your power-ups intact. On the N64, you could only restart a level, but lose your laser power-up and you bomb count went back to 3. Just another way this version is inferior to the original.

Yeah, thats the problem of nintendo and not people cheating themeselves...
Come on!

TSA said:
I'm pretty sure the game puts a medal next to the scores on the leader board that played all the way through without saving and quitting.

TSA said:

People don't have 45 minutes to spend trying to get a high score in Venom 2 again. The ability to save is a sign of the times (perhaps the N64 version was restricted by the technology).

But if you think this version is "inferior" couldn't you choose not to save?

FyreWulff

Starfox 64 definitely had SRAM to save the high scores.. but I think they were also going for an arcade style points-based game, and arcade style games never really had midgame saving.

Saving makes sense on the 3DS version though due to the fact that you're playing it on a portable machine and should be able to save and power down whenever possible.

So my female friend who NEVER plays video games decided to play this game after I asked her to as a joke. She actually enjoyed it very much, and preferred the gyro controls to the standard ones. It's funny how things like that can captivate people that are new to gaming.

Green Mamba said:
I'm pretty sure the game puts a medal next to the scores on the leader board that played all the way through without saving and quitting.

Yes it does. That star icon is there to prove that you beat the game in one sitting without any quitting.

SpacePirate Ridley said:
Yeah, thats the problem of nintendo and not people cheating themeselves...
Come on!
Doesn't really have anything to do with people cheating themselves, typically the point of a score attack mode is to compare scores, and that's not as fun when the scores aren't as indicative of a player's performance as they could be.

Someone may have already mentioned it, but I went to Target today and they're doing the same "Get this game, get another half off" thing for StarFox that Zelda got, so if anyone hasn't bought it yet or is thinking about, that's probably the place to go.

I really, really hope that Target gets Bit Trip Saga since it's release falls in the promotional period (ends the 17th). Target didn't get Devil Survivor, and Bit Trip seems like a similarly niche game to me.

WillyFive

SaintMadeOfPlaster said:
So my female friend who NEVER plays video games decided to play this game after I asked her to as a joke. She actually enjoyed it very much, and preferred the gyro controls to the standard ones. It's funny how things like that can captivate people that are new to gaming.

Sure, since moving the handheld around is more intuitive than something like an analog stick. We find the analog stick easier because we have been using it since forever, but it's not exactly natural or obvious to someone who doesn't play games.

It's awesome that she likes it.

watershed

Banned
Just bought this game today, played a few missions, loving it so far. The 3d is nice but I found it distracting during gameplay so for now I keep it off while I'm playing and turn it up for the movie scenes. The graphics update is amazing, and I'm loving the redone voices and music. The controls are gonna take some getting used to, the circle pad's limited range of motion in particular. Still managed to grab a few medals though. And the bear's voice in training is kind of hilarious.

Glix

FUCK THE HATERS this game is AMAZING

My stoner ass could go for gold medals for the rest of my life. I love you magic 3d screen!

Any review that knocks this for length better take points off of EVERY SHMUP it ever reviews, cuz its the same deal with this game.

The joy is not in playing through it, but in perfecting it.

SaintMadeOfPlaster said:

My little brother uses the steering wheel attachment for Mario Kart Wii. I grew up with SMK and MK64 so I use the GC controller.

Emitan

Glix said:
FUCK THE HATERS this game is AMAZING

My stoner ass could go for gold medals for the rest of my life. I love you magic 3d screen!

Any review that knocks this for length better take points off of EVERY SHMUP it ever reviews, cuz its the same deal with this game.

The joy is not in playing through it, but in perfecting it.
Oh don't worry, they do.

Glix

Billychu said:
Oh don't worry, they do.

Yeah, you're right...

but it seems like this game is being singled out more so than Ikaruga or something like that.

In Ikaruga its painfully obvious that you are playing for score/perfection. This game less so, I guess.

watershed

Banned
The ending to this game is amazing! I just beat the hard route, star wolf was harder than I remembered. The credit shot of the team running along the sunset looks really sharp.

I think the difference between 3DS and N64 modes is that N64 mode is slightly faster. That was my first though when trying N64 mode at least.

Glix

artwalknoon said:
The ending to this game is amazing! I just beat the hard route, star wolf was harder than I remembered. The credit shot of the team running along the sunset looks really sharp.

Their running animations are kinda silly. I kept laughing.

Andross Brain Form is super duper cheap and super duper annoying, I hated it.

watershed

Banned
Glix said:
Their running animations are kinda silly. I kept laughing.

Andross Brain Form is super duper cheap and super duper annoying, I hated it.
Yeah they do look funny, a bit stiff but also like a cartoon.
I didn't think Andross was any cheaper than in the original, but I can see how he can be annoying. I also like the sound test mode that gets unlocked, I'm listening to some tunes right now.

Glix

artwalknoon said:
Yeah they do look funny, a bit stiff but also like a cartoon.
I didn't think Andross was any cheaper than in the original, but I can see how he can be annoying. I also like the sound test mode that gets unlocked, I'm listening to some tunes right now.

I don't think I was ever man enough to get to hard path andross on the 64. I never actually owned this game, but different friends had it and I would try and play as much as possible.

Top Bottom