• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Fox 64 3D |OT| Online? Can't let you do that, Star Fox!

Glix said:
Their running animations are kinda silly. I kept laughing.
I never quite understood why they appear to be sprinting through a barren wasteland, I can't hate on the scene though due to the way the music picks up when the great fox appears, tears to my eyes.

Boney

Banned
Nocturnowl said:
I never quite understood why they appear to be sprinting through a barren wasteland, I can't hate on the scene though due to the way the music picks up when the great fox appears, tears to my eyes.
because

Nocturnowl said:

Always loved how they very briefly recreated that shot in an F-Zero/Star Fox crossover in the intro to Melee:

2cnxrnp.jpg

Glix said:
Andross Brain Form is super duper cheap and super duper annoying, I hated it.
Hint: When you shoot him in the invincible brain part, he teleports away. After you've destroyed his eyes, shoot him in the invincible part to make him teleport away, and then immediately either turn sharply to the left or right or U-turn and you'll be facing his vulnerable cerebellum. Just shoot it a bunch, and then shoot him in the invincible brain to make him teleport away again before running into him. Repeat. Using this strategy he's one of the easiest bosses in the game.

Teknoman

Willy105 said:
Sure, since moving the handheld around is more intuitive than something like an analog stick. We find the analog stick easier because we have been using it since forever, but it's not exactly natural or obvious to someone who doesn't play games.

It's awesome that she likes it.

The gyro controls in Zelda were pretty cool too. I usually use that more than analog aiming, but I cant see playing Star Fox well with gyro controls. Of course I still need to give it a shot.

EDIT: I'm not one to post stuff from different message boards, but this thread caught my eye while looking for required hit amounts for specific medals on gamefaqs:

To me, it's a total waste, I'd like to have a 4 hour campaign atleast. Once I see credits, a game goes back on the shelf, so I can play another game, I have well over 1100 games and don't want to replay games over and over, with 1100 games waiting. This game is fine for someone that want's to replay the same parts over and over again. But to me, this was a waste! from a "30 year old" apparently.

Is there any way of skipping the credits? I wouldn't mind if it was just the original ones, but the added "3D porting " credits take forever. I didn't like it in Zelda either, but that's not a game you can play over and over again in a short period of time.

Emitan

Rodney McKay said:
Is there any way of skipping the credits? I wouldn't mind if it was just the original ones, but the added "3D porting " credits take forever. I didn't like it in Zelda either, but that's not a game you can play over and over again in a short period of time.
Start

OMG Aero

Rodney McKay said:
Something I realised on my third playthrough is that even though the actual credits sequence is the same, the game classes the credits you get from the normal ending and the credits from the good ending as completely different and you can't skip either on your first viewing of them.

So if you took the lower path on your first playthrough and only fought one form of Andross you can't skip the credits and then on your second playthrough you take the middle/upper path and fight two forms of Andross you can't skip those credits either, but since you have now seen both sets of credits you can skip them whenever you see them from then on.

Just bought this today. Finally a copy of this game that I can call my own (I had only played a friend's copy before, I never beat it :( ).

I've only played Corneria so far, but good god I suck badly in all range mode >.>

I've been trying the Latin American dub to see how it is, and the only one I've genuinely liked so far is General Pepper and maybe the narrator =/

FyreWulff

Just bought it today.

There's a couple of missed spots that could have used a graphical polish, but otherwise a grea t port and that's some damn fine use of 3D.

Emitan

How are you supposed to do Venom 2 on Score Attack? WTF

EDIT: BULLSHIT. Wolf flew right through one of the pillars on Venom 2 without taking damage.

sfried

Rodney McKay said:
If this is the first time you've beaten it you won't be able to skip it. Same said for any new unexplored level. Every other subsequent playthrough lets you skip with Start.

Emitan

Andross's final form in 3DS mode seems to have about half the health it has on N64 mode.

I got 228 hits on Venom 2 on 3DS mode. I don't know if that was any easier though.

HiVision

Medalion said:
StarFoxSlotMachine.png

Fuk u Assdross, this boss gives money!

This is one of the bosses I created in the original SNES starfox - to show off the oh-so-advanced technology of "texture scrolling" (the slots). Textures were very "new" for home consoles back then so we tried a lot to showcase even such basic features as this.

Great to hear everyone is enjoying the 64 remake we made for the 3DS, we put a lot of love and polish into it and in stages such as Zoness or Macbeth you can really see the fruits of our effort.

Emitan

HiVision said:
This is one of the bosses I created in the original SNES starfox - to show off the oh-so-advanced technology of "texture scrolling" (the slots). Textures were very "new" for home consoles back then so we tried a lot to showcase even such basic features as this.

Great to hear everyone is enjoying the 64 remake we made for the 3DS, we put a lot of love and polish into it and in stages such as Zoness or Macbeth you can really see the fruits of our effort.
Zonness has been praised to high heaven, but man, I just love those puddles of water on Katina. They're a nice touch.

Billychu said:
Andross's final form in 3DS mode seems to have about half the health it has on N64 mode.

I got 228 hits on Venom 2 on 3DS mode. I don't know if that was any easier though.

yep, I actually went "wait...what"? when I defeated final form andross in like a few seconds versus the minutes and multiple lives on 64 mode.

jokkir

Billychu said:
Zonness has been praised to high heaven, but man, I just love those puddles of water on Katina. They're a nice touch.

The reflection on the puddles too are glorious.

Let's not forget about the rocks on Macbeth. So great.

FyreWulff

Billychu said:

Appears to be the same health, but the N64 also ran that battle more slowly. No more massive framerate drop when the

eyes

take off, for example.

I actually died to him a couple of times though, where I can consistently beat him on the original N64 game with no deaths.

Socreges

Banned
HiVision said:

Shameless.

sfried

HiVision said:
Socreges said:
Shameless.
He has a point about Zoness though.

Dat water.

That said, Mr. Cuthbert, if you're listening, whoever decided to use that voice for the training bear mechanic in the tutorial deserves a medal.

Emitan

What about Macbeth am I missing? Obviously the level looks great, as do the rest, but I'm not seeing anything that puts it on Zonness level of awesomeness. Maybe I'm too focused on gameplay to notice? After all the time I've put into the game, it's hard to notice the details now.

HiVision said:

Honest question here...

The game is great. The graphics of this remake are better than the ones in Ocarina of Time. But... if you guys put a lot of effort on the game... why didn't you guys include online battles?

I mean... is Nintendo not supporting online gaming again this gen?

Also... one question... can games on the 3DS be patched like the games on the 360 or PS3? I mean, is it technically possible to patch a game like Star Fox to add online play?

FyreWulff

I also have to say this is one of the best uses of 3D on this system so far. And just like Ocarina of Time, you could swear that some parts of the game were designed with a 3D mode in mind, like the Area 6 boss.

It's actually helpful for doing stuff like collecting 3 powerups on a vertical with a loop-de-loop, and I was actually able to use it to properly hover over the iron beams on Macbeth, where on the N64 it was a bit hard to judge distance so I tended to crash into them at least once from hovering too early.

Also noticed the clever technique of obstructing objects fading out when they hit maximum z-depth towards your face instead of just 'blinking' out of existence.

Wish we could get these same people to do a Perfect Dark 3DS port.

Also gyro flying was a LOT better than I thought it could be.

Emitan

Fernando Rocker said:
Honest question here...

The game is great. The graphics of this remake are better than the ones in Ocarina of Time. But... if you guys put a lot of effort on the game... why didn't you guys include online battles?

Also... one question... can games on the 3DS be patched like the games on the 360 or PS3? I mean, is it technically possible to patch a game like Star Fox to add online play?
In an older thread he said it was Nintendo's decision. I wish Nintendo would get with the times, but the fact that multiplayer was even worked on surprised me considering how conservative they can be.

atbigelow

Was at my friend's place the other night and he had picked this up the other day. I quickly blasted through a mixture of medium/easy paths as I was pressed for time.

Definitely gonna be picking this game up. Love it so much.

HiVision said:

I just want to say, I've been showing friends those to levels in particular for the past day or so, and all of them seemed to have been impressed. (Two even went and picked a copy up) Fantastic work, man.

Billychu said:
In an older thread he said it was Nintendo's decision. I wish Nintendo would get with the times, but the fact that multiplayer was even worked on surprised me considering how conservative they can be.

Oh, I see... too bad to hear that answer.

What about the patching? I know they are not going to do it (add online play), but... is it technically possible on the 3DS?

Medalion

Banned
HiVision said:

If you are one of the original creators of Star Fox, I bow down to you man, love that game so much

sfried

Medalion said:
If you are one of the original creators of Star Fox, I bow down to you man, love that game so much
I'd also like to add, that while we're technically not allowed to say this (because, you know...ROM), great work on Star Fox 2 as well. Shamed they pulled the plug on an otherwise unprecedented game on the SNES.

I wish they asked you to do another X game. The DSiWare one was fantastic.

watershed

Banned
I just beat the easy route, beat the hard route first. Now I just have to reach those alternative levels. The Lyat System screen looks so nice with all those stars and medals in it.

Emitan

sfried said:
I'd also like to add, that while we're technically not allowed to say this (because, you know...ROM), great work on Star Fox 2 as well. Shamed they pulled the plug on an otherwise unprecedented game on the SNES.
You can't say it like that!

"So, um...I heard a rumor they were making another Star Fox. Each ship having it's own powerup was great...you know in theory. And I've heard the music...I mean, that the music is great."

Deku

Banned
One thing that irked me is the visuals in 64 3D can be inconsistent.

The ending sequence in particular looked rushed. The shot of the Great Fox flying back to Corneria showed a really ugly looking/textured planet, while there are several other versions of the planet shown earlier in the game which looked much better.

And the very ending 'sunset' scene, no attempt was made to add 3D effects to the clouds, or to adjust the lighting as the Great Fox surged into the frame. Infact, the background was just a flat image/placeholder.

Otherwise, the game looks great.

HiVision

sfried said:
He has a point about Zoness though.

Dat water.

That said, Mr. Cuthbert, if you're listening, whoever decided to use that voice for the training bear mechanic in the tutorial deserves a medal.

We had nothing to do with the casting or voices, they were solely handled by Nintendo of America and yes, I also think they did a great job on the tutorial guy, I think he's a Raccoon Dog (Tanuki).

HiVision

sfried said:

I wish they asked you to do another X game. The DSiWare one was fantastic.

Thanks.. I'm hoping more people will play X-Scape (or 3d Space Tank as it is called in Europe) after they have enjoyed StarFox. (it runs fine on the 3DS)
X-Scape is an even more personal game for me than StarFox as the original GameBoy X was the first commercial game I ever made, and it's the seed that got me interested in Japan because of Nintendo's involvement.

Poyunch

NateDrake said:
I'm pretty sure the middle ship is Samus' ship.
Yeah but he doesn't mention that Metroid was part of the crossover. Also I was referencing the 25th anniversary of Metroid. :p

I remember playing Starfox 64 with my older brother many years ago. I think the graphical enhancements and nostalgia are enough for me get this game.

dwu8991

Banned
Fernando Rocker said:
Honest question here...

They are supporting online this gen with Mario Kart. I think it was a decision very early on not to include online multi player and instead focused on putting out a good product.
If you look at Street Fighter or Dead or Alive, they've clearly made short cuts just to include online play. Like sub 30 fps, lag, static background.

I've been playing this all weekend. A damn fantastic game, and it looks GREAT. The 3D in this game really does make the whole experience more enjoyable.

sfried

TheLastCandle said:
I've been playing this all weekend. A damn fantastic game, and it looks GREAT. The 3D in this game really does make the whole experience more enjoyable.
3D is especially helpful during Warp stages. All of those "judging obstacle distances" is much more intuitive and you don't end up crashing to a pillar just because you veered too early.

Top Bottom