• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Fox 64 3D |OT| Online? Can't let you do that, Star Fox!

[Nintex] said:
I'm still undecided on one hand I haven't played any of my 3DS games for longer than 3 hours on the other hand Star Fox 64 is only about 3 hours long so...

It depends, an arcade style game like SF64 can have a ton of replay value. For me i will get many many hours replaying this game but if that's not your thing it probably is hard to justify the purchase.

I don't know what this "Starfox 64" stuff is all about but i'm looking forward to Lylat Wars 3D! oh yeah.

Now I have to decide whether or not I let Falco live in the first stage, I can't get my favourite boss line in the asteroid field with him alive....

Nocturnowl said:
I don't know what this "Starfox 64" stuff is all about but i'm looking forward to Lylat Wars 3D! oh yeah.

Now I have to decide whether or not I let Falco live in the first stage, I can't get my favourite boss line in the asteroid field with him alive....

Just don't
fly through the arcs
and you won't unlock the other route. Unless they've changed that?

Kurdel

Banned
Wait, this is coming out on friday? Is this common wIth 3DS releases? Which day is EShop releases?

I haven't been this confused since there were 7 simultaneous Starfox OTs...

Varjet

Nocturnowl said:

If you go the harder route, you can choose to do the other one anyway, so what's the problem?

Sinthetic

Kurdel said:
Wait, this is coming out on friday? Is this common wIth 3DS releases? Which day is EShop releases?

I haven't been this confused since there were 7 simultaneous Starfox OTs...

It's coming out on Friday in the UK, not sure about other places.

eShop is Thursday.

Tranced Shadow said:
Just don't
fly through the arcs
and you won't unlock the other route. Unless they've changed that?
Flying through the arcs with Falco alive is the only way to reach sector Y to my knowledge.
Sadly for our feathered friend, Falco still has to be sitting in the great fox twiddling his thumbs feathers in my case otherwise the asteroid field boss can't bust out his cheesy "IF THIS DOES NOT WORK!" line (hint: It doesn't work, not ever and he sounds so damn sure of himself).

If Falco is present he interjects and I just can't have that, my experience just wont be right I tell you.

qq more

Luigi87 said:
So I think it can be said... Billychu is James, Willy105 is Peppy, and Copernicus is Pigma.

See, Billychu is the ace, however he got shot down.
Willy105 lived on to pass along his legacy.
Copernicus... Well, I don't think I need to explain!
I can be Falco, just so I can ditch my friends and then come back a few games later, and then ditch them again and just come back shortly after.

Personally, I prefer the air.

I hope I'm not the only one, but as a kid I absolutely loved this art to death:

star-fox-crew.jpg

Does anybody have any others to post in that vein? This really grabbed my imagination.

diffusionx

Gold Member
I was so psyched for StarFox 64 back in the day (I blame the video), but never got around to getting it.

So I'll probably check this out. I have a gift card for Best Buy so I could grab this for $15 or so.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
JasoNsider said:
I hope I'm not the only one, but as a kid I absolutely loved this art to death:

Does anybody have any others to post in that vein? This really grabbed my imagination.

o3pya.jpg

kehs

Banned
Keyser Soze said:
I was starting to make an OT yesterday, was going to post it today, and saw three threads were made in the meantime :/

Here, have this:

iPwpFIYkJodsL.png

You spelt Stafox wrong dude.

OMG Aero

DonMigs85 said:
http://api.ning.com/files/oIJo9yl7j55AQNdjKHh1IANmneaHEd7lSLqsWZDFJDTDJDxNP2bFeXjAeZXjhi6sWbsgfIBEivBCtfIBYkKPSVRR3SIEwUHr/araah.jpg
Help me find the rest of the series
oh god why did you post that
I had managed to completely forget about that until now.

qq more

OMG Aero said:
oh god why did you post that
I had managed to completely forget about that until now.
What, it's just a horrible drawn comic. ...Or is there something I don't know about...?

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
Nocturnowl said:
When you say the soundtrack is pretty much untouched are we talking like OoT3D style where the game is outright emulating the N64 originals as close as it can? or is is just similar sounding because I would really enjoy a boost in the music quality on the whole, if you get what i'm saying.

To me it sounds basically the same, through the speakers its a bit less pronounced than on a TV but with headphones it sounds so good. I honestly can't tell the difference between them though, I don't think they've tweaked the tracks much if at all.

VOOK said:
To me it sounds basically the same, through the speakers its a bit less pronounced than on a TV but with headphones it sounds so good. I honestly can't tell the difference between them though, I don't think they've tweaked the tracks much if at all.
Seems like a bit of a missed opportunity to upgrade the quality but oh well, at least the soundtrack is a stellar one to begin with, thanks for the answer.

WillyFive

The soundtrack is very different to me.

It's the same songs, but the sound very different because they use different instruments (the new instruments are of higher quality, but the make the music sound weaker). Combined with the new voice acting, the whole game sounds different.

VOOK

Willy105 said:

It's the same songs, but the sound very different because they use different instruments (the new instruments are of higher quality, but the make the music sound weaker). Combined with the new voice acting, the whole game sounds different.

Hmm maybe I need to play the N64 Virtual Console version through my headphones and see what I hear.

Voices though yeah do sound different, but they're not bad. Just different.

Willy105 said:

Guess I'll have to hear things for myself then, i've always been a sucker for that mission complete theme.

Willy105 said:

Are there new dialogues besides the old ones?

VOOK

General Shank-a-snatch said:
Are there new dialogues besides the old ones?

The guy in the training room sounds like one of those 'trailer guys'. Everyone else I think is pretty much the same.

hatchx said:
With regards to the multiplayer mode....

Is there a 2 vs 2? Can a friend and I team up on bots? Are there difficulty settings for the bots? Is there any stat tracking?

It's just 4 player. To answer the other question about soundtracks, it's the same music but redone on new synths. Some tracks are very noticably different, some are almost identical - all are awesome.

I've got 100% of the medals on 3DS mode and N64 mode and am now going in on Expert.

To repost my initial impressions as they were lost in yesterday's OT-war:

I've been lucky enough to have been playing through this early and I love it. Starfox 64 was one of my favorite games of all time when it origially launched, mind.

I've got all the medals on both Nintendo 3DS and Nintendo 64 modes - they've added a rebalanced mode for the 3DS controls which feels a bit easier as well as included the regular N64 mode unchanged - and I'm now starting on Expert Mode which is identical to the N64 version's Expert Mode also.

The lack of online sucks ass, but if you're looking for a story-based game with some good score attack options where you can play in five or ten minute chunks, this is ideal.

Rerecorded VA feels good and mostly true to the original. Some voices are better (I prefer Falco here for instance) but some aren't quite right (Pigma in particular)

Looks absolutely amazing in motion and works well in 3D with the slider about halfway up for me. I dug out my old cart and played side by side and also watched some YouTube videos to remember how to best get some of the medals and what really strikes me is how damn dark the N64 game is. This is far more vibrant and beautiful by comparison, and it's really cool to see big explosions like the Macbeth ending actually rendered as proper explosions now rather than giant spheres of light.

hatchx

Banned
APZonerunner said:
It's just 4 player. To answer the other question about soundtracks, it's the same music but redone on new synths. Some tracks are very noticably different, some are almost identical - all are awesome.

I've got 100% of the medals on 3DS mode and N64 mode and am now going in on Expert.

To repost my initial impressions as they were lost in yesterday's OT-war:

Just 4 player, as in I can't do a one on one? There is no team match up? It's as basic as it gets?

Seems like in 1/8th the time it would take to make a multiplayer level, they could program simple team functions, enemy difficulty, and capture the flag mode. Imagine horde mode with a friend?

The co-op possibilities of starfox are so huge and so grossly untapped....

hatchx said:
Just 4 player, as in I can't do a one on one? There is no team match up? It's as basic as it gets?

Seems like in 1/8th the time it would take to make a multiplayer level, they could program simple team functions, enemy difficulty, and capture the flag mode. Imagine horde mode with a friend?

The co-op possibilities of starfox are so huge and so grossly untapped....

Sorry, what I meant was - it's just deathmatch. No team options, as far as I can see. It's the same N64 multiplayer options. The game is download play only - you can't play with two carts, the second player has to download instead.

There's survival, point battle and time battle. You can do it with up to 4 people. No team options, only free for all. You can also play against 3 CPUs and set their difficulty if you want.

The multiplayer options are spartan, but it's clearly not what they wanted to focus on with this version of the game - a lot of effort has been put in other areas.

hatchx

Banned
APZonerunner said:
Sorry, what I meant was - it's just deathmatch. No team options, as far as I can see. It's the same N64 multiplayer options. The game is download play only - you can't play with two carts, the second player has to download instead.

There's survival, point battle and time battle. You can do it with up to 4 people. No team options, only free for all. You can also play against 3 CPUs and set their difficulty if you want.

The multiplayer options are spartan, but it's clearly not what they wanted to focus on with this version of the game - a lot of effort has been put in other areas.

So I suppose I can still play with a friend and we can just team up on the two CPU as a 'team option'.

I'm just desperate for multiplayer on 3DS, and my friends love co-op (RE:Mercs was a hit with us).

I have not been keeping up with the news regarding this game even though I have it pre-ordered. I thought there was supposed to be online? When was is it confirmed to be removed?

TheBaldEmperor said:
I have not been keeping up with the news regarding this game even though I have it pre-ordered. I thought there was supposed to be online? When was is it confirmed to be removed?

It was never in. Nintendo's marketing messaging has been terrible, though, as despite it clearly not being a big development focus they're showing lots of footage of people playing local multiplayer.

IM CLOAKED I GOT CLOAK etc etc

Luigi87

Nocturnowl said:

From now on it will be Lyalwars 3D, and everyone will be happy!

qq more

balladofwindfishes said:
Really? I haven't heard this before.
I've been hearing this from previews, I can be really wrong though since it was a while ago.

EDIT: If you guys want, I'll look for said previews. I hope I'm not wrong since I have a faulty memory.

EDIT2: I keep stumbling across people saying they're using the original VAs for the remake, is this actually true?

qq more said:
I've been hearing this from previews, I can be really wrong though since it was a while ago.

EDIT: If you guys want, I'll look for said previews. I hope I'm not wrong since I have a faulty memory.

EDIT2: I keep stumbling across people saying they're using the original VAs for the remake, is this actually true?

............... I knew it was too good to be true. Double-check things next time before stating them as facts.

qq more

General Shank-a-snatch said:
............... I knew it was too good to be true. Double-check things next time before stating them as facts.
Yeah, sorry, my bad. I've must of have read the previews wrong (didn't help that I recalled people on youtube claiming the same thing)

GeekyDad

This will be a fantastic...rent. Can't wait to play through the story mode -- probably at least a handful of times -- as well as tinker with the bots. But without online multiplayer, I know I'll grow old of it after a week. No complaints; just not a buy for me, personally. But it looks amazing. Looks like they actually did a better job with the visual effects on this than OoT.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
GeekyDad said:
This will be a fantastic...rent. Can't wait to play through the story mode -- probably at least a handful of times -- as well as tinker with the bots. But without online multiplayer, I know I'll grow old of it after a week. No complaints; just not a buy for me, personally. But it looks amazing. Looks like they actually did a better job with the visual effects on this than OoT.

Nintendo is on record saying that Ocarina didn't receive an entire overhaul in terms of graphics, and sound because they wanted to maintain much of the original's nostalgia. I'm not sure I prefer it, but the game came out looking decent.

StarFox 64 3D looks like they spent a lot of time updating its features in total, and I would find it tough to believe it won't be the best looking 3DS game until Super Mario 3D Land hits.

Top Bottom