• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Fox 64 3D |OT| Online? Can't let you do that, Star Fox!

Peagles

XxSlasherMcGirkxX said:
That makes me very worried. Half the reason I love SF64 is the cheesy VO's. I mean are those iconic lines even going to sound close to the original. I haven't watched to many videos but when I get my 3DS in the future this is one game I wanna pick up.

But I don't wanna have regret when "Cant let you do that Star Fox" sounds off.

Don't be too worried. What I've heard so far doesn't sound too bad. And it's definitely not as bad as the Smash Bros Melee VOs of the same character, gawd they were awful!

OMG Aero

Fernando Rocker said:
It had to be replaced... the original voice acting is not available.

One the reasons why it had to be replaced is because if you play the N64 game, the characters mention some buttons that are different on the 3DS game. Also, they probably recorded the voices with a much better quality.

Just keep in mind... the new voice acting was recorded by the same actors as the N64 version.
In the N64 game they only say the name of the move, not the buttons you press to do it so this isn't the reason.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jDU4WzM3NsM&feature=player_detailpage#t=181s

XxSlasherMcGirkxX said:
That makes me very worried. Half the reason I love SF64 is the cheesy VO's. I mean are those iconic lines even going to sound close to the original. I haven't watched to many videos but when I get my 3DS in the future this is one game I wanna pick up.

But I don't wanna have regret when "Cant let you do that Star Fox" sounds off.

The voice acting is very close to the original.

OMG Aero said:
In the N64 game they only say the name of the move, not the buttons you press to do it so this isn't the reason.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jDU4WzM3NsM&feature=player_detailpage#t=181s

Not strictly true. Slippy says "Hold A to Charge your Laser" and things like that in the N64, whereas on the 3DS this can be the A or B Button - so if you have it set to N64 config ironically Slippy now says "Hold the B Button to charge your laser!"

Peagles

APZonerunner said:
Not strictly true. Slippy says "Hold A to Charge your Laser" and things like that in the N64, whereas on the 3DS this can be the A or B Button - so if you have it set to N64 config ironically Slippy now says "Hold the B Button to charge your laser!"

On that note, the N64 version didn't have a control option did it? Does the 3DS version?

Peagles said:
On that note, the N64 version didn't have a control option did it? Does the 3DS version?

Two options. 3DS mode and N64 mode. 3DS mode has tweaked button layout, gyro controls, and shortcuts on the D-Pad (Up for somersault, Down for U-Turn as opposed to boosting while pushing in a direction with the circle pad.

These are available in 3DS mode and multiplayer but in N64 and expert mode you're actually forced to use N64 style controls, removing the gyro and I think the shortcuts. You can still choose a layout for the buttons in that mode, though.

Peagles

APZonerunner said:
Two options. 3DS mode and N64 mode. 3DS mode has tweaked button layout, gyro controls, and shortcuts on the D-Pad (Up for somersault, Down for U-Turn as opposed to boosting while pushing in a direction with the circle pad.

These are available in 3DS mode and multiplayer but in N64 and expert mode you're actually forced to use N64 style controls, removing the gyro and I think the shortcuts. You can still choose a layout for the buttons in that mode, though.

Excellent!

Effect

I have added/deleted to my cart and pre-orderd/canceled this game so many times on Amazon.com it's crazy. On one hand I want it because it looks like it could be fun. On the other the length and lack of online bothers me. I didn't play the original so I have no history with it but I always wanted to play it at the time but just never did. N64 games cost so much by comparison at the time that it was easier for me to ask for PS1 games as a kid and N64 were a birthday or Christmas thing or just rentals.

The bots thing brings my issue with the lack online multiplayer down somewhat. It's the length thought that is still there. I know there are different paths but how clear is it what you need to do to open them?

Will one have to be checking the internet to see what is needed to open up all the paths? Or is that made clear in-game?

Effect said:
Will one have to be checking the internet to see what is needed to open up all the paths? Or is that made clear in-game?
Back in the day the only one I didn't find clear was for the red route on the first stage. I'll spoiler it anyway
If you saved Falco from being shot down, the next section with water has some rocky arches, fly under all of them and Falco leads you through the waterfall meaning a different boss battle takes place

Effect

So if you manage to unlock that stage does that mean you have to go through the previous stage again to open the normal default route or does that open automatically?

Kyzer

Banned
This game was definitely one of the reasons I was excited to get a 3DS, but I cant possibly justify to myself spending the full $40. Ill wait. Sigh. Looks like Ill be waiting until Super Mario 3DLand to have a proper 3DS game. Unless I end up getting Pokemon Rumble Blast. .. (guilty pleasure)

Effect said:
So if you manage to unlock that stage does that mean you have to go through the previous stage again to open the normal default route or does that open automatically?
Most stages have two endings. Mission Accomplished (which is the upper path) and Mission Complete which is the lower path. If you get accomplished you can switch to the complete route (this is something some high score players like to do).

A playthrough will have 7 (or was it 8?) levels in it (in the N64 version you went from the begining each time) so you can't see them all in one playthrough and there are some impossible combinations too.

@MUWANdo

Banned
I've read that you can manually choose your paths when playing in 3DS mode, too - can someone with the game confirm/deny?

Effect said:
I have added/deleted to my cart and pre-orderd/canceled this game so many times on Amazon.com it's crazy. On one hand I want it because it looks like it could be fun. On the other the length and lack of online bothers me. I didn't play the original so I have no history with it but I always wanted to play it at the time but just never did. N64 games cost so much by comparison at the time that it was easier for me to ask for PS1 games as a kid and N64 were a birthday or Christmas thing or just rentals.

The bots thing brings my issue with the lack online multiplayer down somewhat. It's the length thought that is still there. I know there are different paths but how clear is it what you need to do to open them?

Just get it man, I didn't give a crap about the multiplayer when I was a kid, but I still played the hell out of this game. The single player is so replayable and fun, it'll be perfect for handheld gaming. Pulling out my 3DS to play a quick level will be awesome.

Effect said:

It's fairly clear. I saw every mission within a day. That said... it's not that kind of game. It's a score attack game. You'll replay for high scores, and to see new little bits of flair in missions. If you get all the medals for getting top scores on each mission, which isn't all that easy unless you've a lot of experience on the N64, you unlock Expert Mode, which features the same missions but with different enemy placement, smarter AI and a more vulnerable ship, which increases the challenge.

Think of it like Time Crisis or House of the Dead or whatever. It's a short, sweet experience designed to be replayed often. The beauty of Star Fox 64 which subsequent games in the series failed on is that by having a smaller scope it manages to have a story mode that is pretty much perfection with every single level pitch-perfect with unique gimmicks and enough variety to keep you interested.

Just bought the game in Spain. The graphics are incredible and the 3D amazing, and just booting the game brought a tear to my eye hearing the music and watching the intro.

The castillian spanish voices are awesome. Lol hearing Alfonso Valles (famous for dubbing Solid Snake in psx metal gear solid) doing 3 characters (narrator, tutorial guy and General Pepper).
Fox's voice is amazing, Slippy is good, Peppy funny and Falco is the worst of the 4, but not really that bad.

Going to replay this game till my eyes bleed.

kehs

Banned
Since I'm too poor to buy an awesome DS I dug out my old n64 and starfox with rumble pack!

Holy shit....star fox.

Randomizer

Willy105 said:
Here's the full first level in English.

The voices and music are a definite downgrade, despite the much better graphics.
NOOOooo! Those voices are terrible. They sound like cheap imitations, why bother re-doing it when it's exactly the same lines? The voice acting and script are two of the things I loved about this game so cheesy and full of sexual innuendo lol.

I wonder if the person responsible for the original translation intentionally made the lines full of sexual innuendo and homoeroticism? I can't see how they didn't notice it, maybe the Japanese version is very similar.

qq more

Effect said:

Star Fox 64 is amazing for just the single player alone. Buy it! You won't regret it.

dwu8991

Banned
Effect said:

Just buy it and if you don't like it, re sell it or trade it in.

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
Anth0ny said:
I don't like this. New voice acting sucks.

That water looks almost too good, lol.

That's how it looks, pretty nice on the 3DS's screen.

udivision

Billychu said:
WHAT! The carrier doesn't say "Deploy all units! CHARGE!" Just "CHARGE!" Fuck this game. Pre-order canceled. This is obviously not showing it the respect it deserves.
He does say deploy all units, charge in 64.
EDIT: Oh wait, now i see.

balddemon

Banned
This game looks tight. I barely played the N64 version, cuz I sucked ass at it lol. It's this or a plane ticket. I might get this for the plane ride, actually.

Fantastical said:
Don't like the new voices. :(

Wonder how many times they made the voice actor say "Do a barrel roll" through?
Well apparently they are the same voice actors from the original. Though I'm not too sure after hearing Peppy.

The voices all feel very fake or as if their reading the lines from the paper. Never actually "acted" out. This kind of wears out the Nintendo nostalgia for me even more.

I'll certainly get the game, but the voices are going to take some real adjusting. :/

The new graphics really come out too, so much detail and so forth.

Thoraxes

Oh man, I just watched that video and had a massive nostalgia attack. Well, I get paid Friday. I suppose i'll snag it.

Jesus Christ that's a beautiful game.

Edit: Here's hoping Nintendo has the sense to take this engine and gets Q Games to make an all-new title in the near future.

Edit 2: Only deal I see in the US is KMart's $15 gaming coupon. Is that it or has anyone found anything else?

JJConrad

Sucks at viral marketing
AbsoluteZero said:
Edit 2: Only deal I see in the US is KMart's $15 gaming coupon. Is that it or has anyone found anything else?
The game was only recently bumped up to Friday from Sunday. Many retailers didn't have time or simply didn't bother to adjust their weekly ads. I understand Target will have some deal in Sunday's paper... for OoT3d they did a BOGO 1/2 off.

CaVaYeRo

I've been playing for one hour. I really like graphics and controls, and even Spanish VA. What I don't like is the popping in Sector Y :(

BTW, if you have Spanish or French or Italian, etc version, you can have English VA by changing the 3DS language. At least they're many of the phrases you remember :p But they should have let us do that on the options menu.

And the cockpit view is gone! WTH! I know it was unplayable, but...

I really want to play this game but no online modus = no buy.
I don't pay 45 € for a 3-4 hour remake.

Please tell me that there's more lasting appeal...:/

beje

Banned
The perfect Dark said:
I really want to play this game but no online modus = no buy.
I don't pay 45 € for a 3-4 hour remake.

Please tell me that there's more lasting appeal...:/

The game has infinite replay value, as there are some different routes and levels you can go through depending on your performance. You won't see the whole game in one playthough, not even two.

Top Bottom