• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Fox 64 3D |OT| Online? Can't let you do that, Star Fox!

beje said:
The game has infinite replay value, as there are some different routes and levels you can go through depending on your performance. You won't see the whole game in one playthough, not even two.

But many people say that even 2-3 playthroughs are possible in 2-3 hours?!

Are there online-leaderboards?

@MUWANdo

Banned
You won't be getting those sorts of times right off the bat, it takes a lot of practice before you can take any route at will (or to just make it to the end).

The perfect Dark said:
But many people say that even 2-3 playthroughs are possible in 2-3 hours?!

Are there online-leaderboards?

You will not unlock Expert mode in 3 hours, no way, no how.

I'd guess that it would take the average person at least 6-8 hours before you end up unlocking Expert Mode (and then getting all the medals again in Expert mode will take plenty of time too!)

You can really play the game forever though. 15 years on and I still find myself busting out the N64/VC original!

Nuclear Muffin said:
You will not unlock Expert mode in 3 hours, no way, no how.

I'd guess that it would take the average person at least 6-8 hours before you end up unlocking Expert Mode (and then getting all the medals again in Expert mode will take plenty of time too!)

You can really play the game forever though. 15 years on and I still find myself busting out the N64/VC original!

Yeah but from that perspective you can play every game forever....I mean I could play Steel Diver forever to beat my own highscores but I don't want to because it's totally boring :D

The perfect Dark said:
Yeah but from that perspective you can play every game forever....I mean I could play Steel Diver forever to beat my own highscores but I don't want to because it's totally boring :D

I will say this that Star Fox 64 is such a good game that it is fun for replays. I have played the game at least 15 times, and I only found 2 alternative paths. The game is short, but it has content and its replay value is huge. It is one of the few games that can be fun to replay a lot of times. At least they made multiplayer much better this time around.

storafötter said:
I will say this that Star Fox 64 is such a good game that it is fun for replays. I have played the game at least 15 times, and I only found 2 alternative paths. The game is short, but it has content and its replay value is huge. It is one of the few games that can be fun to replay a lot of times. At least they made multiplayer much better this time around.
Yeah, okay sounds good to me but MP is non-exsistent for me because no one of my friends own a 3DS.

Nocturnowl said:
This is the worst thing about this game, screw some peoples lack of online woes, I want my cockpit cam!

Ahh, memories of trying to take the Meteo secret warp while playing in 1st person cockpit view. So beautifully impossible!

Sinthetic

Oh man, this is incredible. Brings back so many memories but it somehow feels new at the same time.

I love the narrator, I love the little battery indicator on the lower screen and I absolutely think the 3D is the best I've seen yet, by far.

Those are 5 minute impressions.

Nuclear Muffin said:
Ahh, memories of trying to take the Meteo secret warp while playing in 1st person cockpit view. So beautifully impossible!
Ain't that the truth, so much spinning it could make you queasy but it had to be done.

The whole its 3 hours long is like how Pilotwings is 3 hours long. Getting all Gold (or is it Platinum now) medels will take a lot longer but if you're not into that sort of record breaking thing then yeah, it being 3 hours lnog would be a fair statement.

Billychu said:
WHAT! The carrier doesn't say "Deploy all units! CHARGE!" Just "CHARGE!" Fuck this game. Pre-order canceled. This is obviously not showing it the respect it deserves.
This re-localisation is reminding me of Chrono Trigger DS with its whole "let's make a big deal (PR-wise) about good morning crono, then not include the line in the game*" and similarly including most the iconic lines but others getting changes for..??? How else can you explain "Hey Einstein, I'm on your side" being replaced with "Hey genius, I'm on your side" (it was at E3) . Or maybe they think people won't know who Albert Einstein is or more likely is that the localiser thought it was weird that Albert Einstien is known of in the Lylat System.

Gee, can anyone take of it?

But like Chrono Trigger DS you could still get the original version off the Wii Virtual Console and besides this version is for new fans (else Starfox is going into retirement).

*-I've not played my copy but I remember the Retronauts live Jeremy Parish mentioning it...

jokkir

Has anyone seen this in Toronto? It would be great getting it a day early before my 8+ hour day at school tomorrow.

Oh, and I ask because some GameFAQs user said Futureshop was selling it already but the user decided not to tell which location -__-

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
But like Chrono Trigger DS you could still get the original version off the Wii Virtual Console and besides this version is for new fans (else Starfox is going into retirement).
You mentioned Chrono Trigger, but I can't even begin to imagine anyone preferring the original translation. The SNES version reads terribly by comparison.

dwu8991

Banned
Sinthetic said:
Oh man, this is incredible. Brings back so many memories but it somehow feels new at the same time.

I love the narrator, I love the little battery indicator on the lower screen and I absolutely think the 3D is the best I've seen yet, by far.

Those are 5 minute impressions.

I remember my first 5 minutes with the N64 game felt like an hour!

Effect

Thanks for the responses explaining the game. Still can't bring myself to get it just do the length. Had this been at launch when I was willing to buy almost anything regardless of the length or if I had fond memories of the original it might be another story. I do hope everyone that gets it has a ton of fun with it though.

jokkir

I had a thought. Miyamoto said the next Star Fox depends on getting a new fan base to play the Star Fox series, right? Can't we all just say we're new to this game and loving it when doing the Club Nintendo survey?

Morokh

Okay Guys, I never played the original, I'm quite interested but I have a few questions.

- The voices have been remade for this version, are the original voices still in ?
- How long is the game for one playthrough ?
- is the score attack mode playing the same missions than story mode or special challenges ?

WillyFive

DrForester said:

That was great.

Morokh said:
Okay Guys, I never played the original, I'm quite interested but I have a few questions.

- How long is the game for one playthrough ?

A single playthrough (one path from Corneria to Venom) on the N64 version was about the same length as your average animated movie (perhaps shorter). The 3DS version should be about the same.

However, the game is insanely re-playable, you may get countless hours from it.

Willy105 said:
That was great.

A single playthrough (one path from Corneria to Venom) on the N64 version was about the same length as your average animated movie (perhaps shorter). The 3DS version should be about the same.

However, the game is insanely re-playable, you may get countless hours from it.

The thing is, if youve never played the game (im talking about the people who have said they havent palyed the game, not you :lol) and you get by chance to solar, you are probably going to die there and start over again (playing the N64 mode, the 3ds mode doesnt take life if you are high enough)

Emitan

SpacePirate Ridley said:
The thing is, if youve never played the game (im talking about the people who have said they havent palyed the game, not you :lol) and you get by chance to solar, you are probably going to die there and start over again (playing the N64 mode, the 3ds mode doesnt take life if you are high enough)
Is 3DS mode just Easy Mode?

Billychu said:
Is 3DS mode just Easy Mode?

They have tweaked things for people beggining, so yeah, its easier. Also the controls (but I think that can be changed again when you enter the menu to play with 3DS controls in 64 mode, that means they changed the place of some buttons).

The things is, you need to get now the medals of 3ds version and 64 version, becuase they are two different modes, to get 100% of the game, and then the unlock of both expert modes.

Billychu said:
That's dumb. I only want to play N64 mode.

Well you can only play 64 mode if you want, no one is obligating you to get all the meadls for both.
If you get all the medals for 64 you get expert mode for that version, so you dont need to beat 3ds version also.

Emitan

Oh, I misread. I thought you need all 30 medals to unlock expert for both. If I just play N64 mode I'll unlock expert for that. Awesome.

Effect

Pyrokai said:
So what's with the Friday release? Doesn't Nintendo usually do Sunday releases?

It would have released on Sept. 11th had they kept it to Sunday. It would have been in very poor taste, considering the first level I believe, on the 10th anniversary. Why no one at Nintendo realized this from the start (they are suppose to have an American branch in NoA) before changing the date is just another thing wrong with them. Ugh. It took them to long as well I feel before changing that date. As soon as the Sunday release date was announced talk about how it wouldn't be a good idea took place immediately. Then it took a few weeks I think for them to change it.

FyreWulff

Effect said:
It would have released on Sept. 11th had they kept it to Sunday. It would have been in very poor taste, considering the first level I believe, on the 10th anniversary. Why no one at Nintendo realized this from the start (they are suppose to have an American branch in NoA) before changing the date is just another thing wrong with them. Ugh. It took them to long as well I feel before changing that date. As soon as the Sunday release date was announced talk about how it wouldn't be a good idea took place immediately. Then it took a few weeks I think for them to change it.

I think it's moved more because Sept 11th is an actual holiday now. I don't really think anyone is going to connect anything in Starfox to 9/11.

WillyFive

FyreWulff said:
I think it's moved more because Sept 11th is an actual holiday now. I don't really think anyone is going to connect anything in Starfox to 9/11.

The very first level has a ton of tall white buildings on fire.

Does SF 3DS share any of the same unlockables as its N64 original? I'm guessing tanks and on-foot are out of the question for multiplayer?

FyreWulff

Willy105 said:
The very first level has a ton of tall white buildings on fire.

There's also a bunch of buildings blown up in the middle, it didn't set off complaints of connections to the Oklahoma City bombing, which happened only 2 years prior to the release of Starfox 64.

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
jokkir said:
I had a thought. Miyamoto said the next Star Fox depends on getting a new fan base to play the Star Fox series, right? Can't we all just say we're new to this game and loving it when doing the Club Nintendo survey?

yeah, but then they look at your Club Nintendo account and see Star Fox 64 VC and Star Fox Command registered...

Luigi87

FyreWulff said:
There's also a bunch of buildings blown up in the middle, it didn't set off complaints of connections to the Oklahoma City bombing, which happened only 2 years prior to the release of Starfox 64.

It's the fact that it would be launching on the exact anniversary of 9/11 (which SF64 did not launch on the anniversary of the Oklahoma City Bombing), and the tenth anniversary to boot, of which tensions are high.
I'm Canadian and I understand this reasoning.

FyreWulff

Luigi87 said:
It's the fact that it would be launching on the exact anniversary of 9/11 (which SF64 did not launch on the anniversary of the Oklahoma City Bombing), and the tenth anniversary to boot, of which tensions are high.
I'm Canadian and I understand this reasoning.

Halo: Reach came out 4 days after 9/11 last year, and had a level that featured tall white skyscrapers on fire.

I didn't see anyone complaining then, either.

Emitan

FyreWulff said:
Halo: Reach came out 4 days after 9/11 last year, and had a level that featured tall white skyscrapers on fire.

Because Halo isn't as big as Star Fox. Duh!

WillyFive

FyreWulff said:

This is Nintendo, the one who puts three warning screens before playing a game, and the one who told their costumers that 3D was bad for your eyes, when actual Optometrists publicly contradicted them saying it wasn't. They just don't want to be sued.

Besides, it's the 10th Anniversary, not 4 days after the 9th.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Part of me wonders if a bigger reason might just be Nintendo expecting this Sunday to not be a very big sales day because of the anniversary. Maybe they think people wont be in a mood to shop.

Willy105 said:
They just don't want to be sued.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Piston_Honda

In the Wii version of Punch-Out!!, his name was changed from Honda to Hondo by Nintendo. This was as part of a preventive measure because there is a car company named Honda. While Kotaku editor Michael McWhertor stated that this was wise, GameSpy editor felt it unnecessary because Honda is a common Japanese name.

Always thought that was funny.

mr stroke

I really want to grab this tomorrow, but no 3DS yet. Don't know if I should hold off until the rumored revision next year, but this looks so awesome. Played the hell out of this when I was a kid.

Glix

FyreWulff said:

Dudebros don't have feelings.

levious said:
yeah, but then they look at your Club Nintendo account and see Star Fox 64 VC and Star Fox Command registered...
That makes the assumption at the results analysis tool is actually able to see the rest of the account info. The fact it asks "have you played a previous entry..." for games with no previous entries makes me think the system as a whole isn't that smart.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
A pleasant surprise, getting Amazon's shipping confirmation! I totally killed the N64 original; all medals in both normal and expert modes, all unlockables. I look forward to doing that again during my long daily commutes and upcoming vacation. I thought this wasn't due until late this month...

Top Bottom