• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Ocean 3 1up review...

Tabris

You suck :p Yeah, you know I'm talking about you (not you Doom_Bringer)

You just had to ruin the excitement for my second most anticipated game for 2nd half of 2004 :(

WarPig

It's not a negative review. I liked the game. Fact is, I liked it better than I think most people will. It's just that there's some pretty obvious ways it could have been made better.

EDIT: Also, Valkyrie Profile beats the living fuck out of Star Ocean 3, whacko voice acting and all. They shoulda made another one of those instead.

DFS.

Chrono

Banned
Looks like its Pikmin 2 and Street Fighter Anniversary for me.

I'll definitely get this one though... maybe next year. I was expecting this game to rank in the 9.0-9.5 range. :(

ferricide

WarPig said:
It's not a negative review. I liked the game. Fact is, I liked it better than I think most people will. It's just that there's some pretty obvious ways it could have been made better.
APOLOGIST

seriously, he's nicer to it than i was. fucking battle system.

both shadow hearts II and SMT: nocturne are better PS2 RPG buys than this game. BELIEVE IT

WarPig

ferricide said:
APOLOGIST

Hey, at least I'm not the GAF-certified worst reviewer ever. Or however the fuck I'm supposed to spell it :)

I haven't played Shadow Hearts or Nocturne yet, but they both sound worth the effort. The RPG market this fall is interesting -- there's no big stomping must-buy Final Fantasy kinda title, but there's a good breadth of fun games. Lot of stuff to suit different tastes.

some other dude said:
I'll definitely get this one though... maybe next year. I was expecting this game to rank in the 9.0-9.5 range.

I was about that stoked on it early on, gave it game of the show two TGSes ago, but it wore down a bit in finished form, unfortunately.

DFS.

Tabris

So basically the problems with the game are story doesn't pick up until later part of the game and battle system has poor AI and balance.

I can live with that.

WarPig

Tabris said:
So basically the problems with the game are story doesn't pick up until later part of the game and battle system has poor AI and balance.

I can live with that.

It's livable, sure. And fucking around with the invention system is fun. I liked inventing different varieties of fruit parfait.

DFS.

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
Shadow Hearts was merely an okay RPG. Good fun, but needed a lot of tweaking. I take it SH2 got that?

skip

I think that's an IGN forum cert, actually. but if you collect them all, that's like having an MCSE or something.

WarPig

RevenantKioku said:
Shadow Hearts was merely an okay RPG. Good fun, but needed a lot of tweaking. I take it SH2 got that?

That seems to be the general consensus, yeah. Some improvements to the gameplay and a lot of pulling the trigger on goofball storyline and character concepts.

DFS.

Tabris

Yeah, well a better judge for me would be this.

Say Star Ocean 2 scored an 8 (a game that also suffers from those exact problems, well actually, not balance so much), how would Star Ocean 3 score in relation to that iyo?

WarPig

Tabris said:
Yeah, well a better judge for me would be this.

Say Star Ocean 2 scored an 8 (a game that also suffers from those exact problems, well actually, not balance so much), how would Star Ocean 3 score in relation to that iyo?

I last played a little bit of Second Story something like five years ago. I'm the wrong guy to ask about direct comparisons between the two, I'm afraid. I didn't really get into the tri-Ace stuff until Valkyrie.

DFS.

Z

zylo

Unconfirmed Member
1up also gave TOS a 7 and that was one of the better rpgs to come around in a while.

Shouta

Yeah, story tapers out later on and the AI is garbage. Battle balance is a bit wonky just because Nel's Boomerang killer move is ungodly powerful. Also it's terribly floaty and the hit detection could use some tightening. It's not bad at all like a fair amount of people make it out to be but it definitely could've been a better effort.

Edit: Oh and if SO3 just had a tightened hit detection and the AI from Symphonia I think a lot more people might like it =P.

WarPig

zylo said:
1up also gave TOS a 7 and that was one of the better rpgs to come around in a while.

Yeah, Symphonia's another example of a fun game that still has a ways to go in key areas. I actually liked Star Ocean more (which I think reverses the conventional wisdom), although now that I think about it, I'm not sure the reviews read that way. Things always seem to turn out like that in the fall. Something to work on in the future.

Shouta said:
Battle balance is a bit wonky just because Nel's Boomerang killer move is ungodly powerful.

When I first started to notice the problem, it was Cliff's moves that were sticking out. He has that one where he jumps up and launches a bunch of strikes at mid-range that makes Fayt and Nel just pointless in the medieval-political-dorking-around stages of the game.

DFS.

Shouta

Nel is a really strong battler all around as is Arbel. Fayt/Fate really needed beefing in the game though.

MoxManiac

It's been an eternity since I played SO2 but I recall the AI being pretty bad in that game too.

I'm still interested in this game but it's definitely not a priority at the moment; I might not even get to it until next year.

ferricide

Shouta said:
the hit detection could use some tightening.
that's like the understatement of the year. =)

seriously, the battle system is pure meh in every way.

SHII is a big big improvement over its predecessor. a really surprisingly excellent game.

WarPig

Shouta said:
Nel is a really strong battler all around as is Arbel. Fayt/Fate really needed beefing in the game though.

Yeah, that was what tipped me off. I'm playing Fayt because you're supposed to play the hero, and then I look over and see Cliff's damage numbers, and I'm like "what the fuck is this scrub's problem?"

DFS.

WarPig

Soul4ger said:
This Dave Smith character must prefer Western games to Eastern ones. That's the only explanation for this.

Actually, I hate all games and wish I were a librarian instead.

DFS.

jarrod

Banned
WarPig said:
The RPG market this fall is interesting -- there's no big stomping must-buy Final Fantasy kinda title,
Not on PS2, they're all on GBA...

-Pokemon Fire Red/Leaf Green
-Final Fantasy 1&2: Dawn of Souls
-Kingdom Hearts: Chain of Memories
-Classic NES Series 2: Zelda II: The Adventure of Link

...that's four of the biggest RPG franchises right there. :)

I guess it depends on who you are. The Shin Megami Tensei titles and Paper Mario 2 are big stomping must buy titles for me personally lol. I have no clue how well either would do in terms of sales, but it doesn't directly affect me anyway.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Ugh. I've been hearing this from every direction. I'll still get it. But I really didn't think that ToS was going to be the highlight of RPGs for this time of year.

dog$

Hates quality gaming
Just one small criticism I'd have for the review itself (otherwise it's pretty much spot on):
tri-Ace had the stones to go for completely realtime combat and completely free movement within it, like Grandia with all the waiting and automatic movement gone. It's a big leap,
Not sure what your basis in saying this was, just because all of the SO games have had realtime combat.

But I really didn't think that ToS was going to be the highlight of RPGs for this time of year.
That's why this winter is going to be fantastic, thanks to DQ8. (at least as far as I can tell)

Tabris said:
Say Star Ocean 2 scored an 8, how would Star Ocean 3 score in relation to that?

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
MoxManiac said:
Yikes, so it's worse than SO2?

Dog$ is a pretty harsh bastard though. Not that it always seems unjust, his views just always remind me of like Edge or something. Oh well, with Growlanser coming later than expected, and the fact this tri-ace game is being published by SE, it shouldn't be hard to find. So Phantom Brave is the thing to snag next week for me. SMT soon too, rock.

Playing SO2 made me physically ill (really). I think the massive reverb they put on every single track was the main culprit, but the abysmal event section and monotonous graphics didn't help any.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
I don't get it. Did everybody forget that SO3 got just "ok" reviews when it came out last year in Japan? And did everyone forget that Star Ocean 2 was pretty mediocre at best to begin with?

I pretty much expected this game's overall scores to hover around 8 or so, so this isn't very far off of what I was expecting.

I'll be waiting for the price drop. Next week belongs to Phantom Brave. :)

Takuan

A solid review. I don't like what I read about the battle system, but this is one of those games where the environments wow me so much I'm willing to compromise. It just looks so vivid.

Warpig, do the characters have any depth to them?

WarPig said:
EDIT: Also, Valkyrie Profile beats the living fuck out of Star Ocean 3, whacko voice acting and all. They shoulda made another one of those instead.

With more and more RPGs adding real-time elements to battles now, it's surprising no one's "borrowed" Valkyrie Profile's brilliant, elegant combat control scheme. Allowing the player to unleash the party's destructive potential in real-time with a few button presses is so much more satisfying and fun than worrying about switching back and forth between characters.

As for real-time multi-character battle systems, I sure as hell hope Final Fantasy XII's combat is better than that of Star Ocean 2 and .hack...I found both of those to be pretty much unplayable.

Star Ocean 2 is the only RPG in which I have regularly looked forward to random battles. It had a wonderfully complex character development system (with some flaws: it was a little obtuse and the random beginning traits were annoying), a fascinating relationship system, and my favorite battle system in an RPG ever.

The characters were a little weak, but they were mostly enjoyable. The story was weak too, but I overlooked that because I loved the game so much.

At the time I played it, I only ranked Final Fantasy (most, but not all, of the series), Xenogears, and the Suikoden series (2 released shortly after) above it as far as RPGs.

Final Fantasy VIII, Final Fantasy Anthology, Suikoden 2, Star Ocean 2, and Grandia all released in a 6-7 month period. I don't think I have ever played and loved that many RPGs in a year since (of course, I was still in college then and had recently quit my part-time job, so I had time to play them).

Bring on Star Ocean 3.

Alex

Valkyrie Profile beats the living fuck out of every Japanese RPG ever made, so saying it's better than SO3 kinda goes without saying. :)

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
These games are just an acquired taste... Sure, they're annoying in some parts, but like 99% of all games are, in general. It just saddens me to see when generic Western crap scores higher, and games like FFX2 and Kingdom Hearts, score higher (both of these games I couldn't even bring myself to finish, they were so bad, and I usually finish most of the games I buy) and RPGs that try to do something different, gets shot down. Usually, the reviews of this game seem to not like the Item Creation, the battle system, the stuff I find so fun about 1 and 2. But from the sound of it, it looks like they should have kept the system from 2 (my favorite battle system ever) and tightened it.

And - "The game spends that massive stretch of its early movements essentially sidetracked, refusing to let the plot get going in earnest until it's enjoyed a nice long stroll through fantasy politicking and that godawful Star Trek standby, the morality of interfering with a primitive culture." - This has been a staple of all the SO games. Though an SO with a Phantasy Star setting - multiple planets, high-tech, would be like my dream game.

SO2 is still my favorite game of all time. I'm curious to see which one I'd like more. I'm also curious to see how it'll compare to TOS, the best game of the year so far. I've been waiting for it with baited breath since it was first announced. I could give fuck all about Fable, Halo 2, Pikmin 2... this and TOS are the games I've been looking forward to the most this year.

ferricide

djtiesto said:
games like FFX2 and Kingdom Hearts, score higher
FWIW i'd score all three (SO3 and those 2) the same. i gave FFX-2 3 stars, didn't review KH, and gave SO3 a 7.

SO3's battle system is teh broken. it's not fun. but the game is more than the sum of its parts, and has a consistently well told story and cool environments. even if it's a grind.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
eXxy said:
FFX2 is the most overrated RPG in a long, long time

Kingdom Hearts was only released a year before FFX2, though, so it hadn't been THAT long. Now THAT was a very poorly designed, over-hyped game.

Top Bottom