• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars Battlefront |OT| Here's Where The Fun Begins

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm in love with this game. Between this and Fallout, I'm set for the next few months. Seems like a lot of people playing right now, seen nothing but full matches (I'm on PS4). For all the shit people give Droid Run, I've never seen anything less than a full fireteam on both sides. The only thing I don't like is the fact some people tend to drop close to the end if it's clear we probably won't win.

I've noticed a few people raise concerns about it's longevity. I'm not concerned in the slightest. It's a gorgeous Star Wars game with solid mechanics and a lot of fun. As long as EA keeps the DLC coming, I guarantee people will keep playing. Hell, if you can still find full games on Evolve (and you absolutely can), you'll find players on Battlefront for a long, long time.

Majanew

Banned
Seriously. I am still amazed at what DICE has accomplished. It's not just mind blowingly good looking but runs smoothly as butter. Seriously an amazing job. Yesterday I was playing a round of Walker Assault on Endor Forest Moon with 40 players, AT-STs and AT-ATs, lots of bombs and laser shots everywhere and there was no slowdown at all, my jaw went to the floor.

Best looking map by far.

Anyone else think heroes vs villains is the best mode? So much damn fun. Supremacy is a very close second for me.
Won't even bother playing assault walker until people actually start doing the objectives

I'm in love with this game. Between this and Fallout, I'm set for the next few months. Seems like a lot of people playing right now, seen nothing but full matches (I'm on PS4). For all the shit people give Droid Run, I've never seen anything less than a full fireteam on both sides. The only thing I don't like is the fact some people tend to drop close to the end if it's clear we probably won't win.

I've noticed a few people raise concerns about it's longevity. I'm not concerned in the slightest. It's a gorgeous Star Wars game with solid mechanics and a lot of fun. As long as EA keeps the DLC coming, I guarantee people will keep playing. Hell, if you can still find full games on Evolve (and you absolutely can), you'll find players on Battlefront for a long, long time.
Not to mention the Start Wars hype machine will be starting up every year for annual films which will surely keep this game populated.

Fallout + BF = Gaming Bliss

Pastry

Banned
After getting the trophy for winning one game in every mode here is how I rank them so far:

Supremacy
Heroes vs Villians
Walker Assault
Drop Zone
Fighter Squadron
Cargo Run
Blast
Droid Run
Fuck Hero Hunt

Fallout + BF = Gaming Bliss

Girlfriend is getting my F4 for Christmas and I finish my Masters degree, I'll have so much free time lol.

Adda

Really enjoyed what I've played so far (around 4 hours) but I'm away until Sunday night so no more battlefront for me.

Wish there were playlists and that teams scrambled between matches though.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I feel Battlefront is processing pretty simple game systems with fairly relaxed interactive complexity, and that would help in rendering the environments.

Super keen to see how Battlefield 5 looks. The destruction and whatever will come at a cost, but the engine seems much more optimised for rendering scene density now. Will be good to get some proper jungle and forest maps.

And, of course, Mass Effect.

barit

Game is a blast. Most beautiful running and looking 60fps game on all platforms that´s for sure. I´m still at the beginning with level 5 but my experience is butter smooth so far. Online and offline I encountered no problems. Hopefully it stays that way.

Majanew

Banned
I feel Battlefront is processing pretty simple game systems with fairly relaxed interactive complexity, and that would help in rendering the environments.

Super keen to see how Battlefield 5 looks. The destruction and whatever will come at a cost, but the engine seems much more optimised for rendering scene density now. Will be good to get some proper jungle and forest maps.

And, of course, Mass Effect.

Looking at metal structures in Battlefront on PS4, the game still suffers from BF4 levels of aliasing in those spots. It's just the maps have a lot of rocks and trees so the aliasing isn't as obvious. The lighting and materials should be what pushes BF5 over BF4.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Looking at metal structures in Battlefront on PS4, the game still suffers from BF4 levels of aliasing in those spots. It's just the maps have a lot of rocks and trees so the aliasing isn't as obvious. The lighting and materials should be what pushes BF5 over BF4.

Yeah, massive improvements made to Frostbite 3's PBR should come across in all titles.

Also excited for Mirror's Edge, too. That art held up so well in UE3.

Pastry

Banned
All this talk about BF5 has me so excited. Is the current version of Frostbite completely new or is it an updated version of what they were using for BF4?

ISee

Fegraeus: The nature of the matchmaker that we have is to just ensure that people have a fair and even playground. That's the thing. We want all Star Wars fans to be able to play this game and have a good time, and in doing that, we want to make sure that whenever players jump in, they get matchmade to players of their own level, their own skill, so they can have fun and a fair playing field. That's a really important thing when it comes to the quality of experience for the wide audience of Star Wars fans out there.

Lies directly out of my ass, there are always a bunch of people dominating the rest with 30:10 kills or so, it's quite frustrating.

Trying to identify Rebels on Endor at night is pretty god damn infuriating.

Yeah starting to hate endor.

Ramirez

I also wish they would put ship power ups on timers or something, being able to endlessly spawn them with no punishment is so stupid.

what is this blue arrow power up? i got it a couple of times in supremacy and i cant do anything with it and i cant get rid of it either....

so annoying. I got it in Cargo Mode and it switched positions or something (?) but it doesnt work ( for me) in supremacy.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
Endor map design is garbage. There's no coherence. It feels thrown together.

like.... a.. forest..?

I mean really, that IS why Endor is the best.. because its a fucking forest. There is no "design" aside from what mother nature made it. "well the placement of THIS cove really sucks.." If only nature had placed it more conveniently for competitive shooter purposes.

I also can't think of a technical limitation for PS4 not outputting DTS-HD or DD T-HD via bitstream, it must just be that no developer has bothered yet. Still, 7.1 LPCM is pretty nice too, and the main reason that I used the PS3 over the 360 last gen.

I asked because I had thought Atmos needed TrueHD.. with Atmos able to be sent over Dolby Plus, there's no reason to do TrueHD in game.. either Dolby Plus if you want Atmos (or have optical), or LPCM for uncompressed audio. TrueHD/DTS-MA only exists on BD because it's a static encoded soundtrack. With dynamic audio (like a video game) everything is rendered "lossless" (aside from asset compression), so there's no reason to reencode it to lossless output. Like I said, I only thought Atmos needed a TrueHD bitstream... though I suppose it kind of stinks that if you want Atmos you have to accept a 640Kbps audio output in this game..

GHG

Just got this on the PC from gamesplanet. Should I get a separate code for early access to Jakku or is that included in the game regardless?

EatChildren

like.... a.. forest..?

I mean really, that IS why Endor is the best.. because its a fucking forest. There is no "design" aside from what mother nature made it. "well the placement of THIS cove really sucks.." If only nature had placed it more conveniently for competitive shooter purposes.

I'm fairly certain the video game map is not structured literally topographically like the real forest based in the movie but instead built specifically to be a video game map.

Fuck, I'm loving this game. It's pure, raw fun, and that's great for a change where there are many great games, but you just need to put so much time into them to make progress.

That said, I would have love to have more planets at launch. Walker Assault and Supremacy are fun as hell, but there are only 4 maps there... I thought we would get at least two different maps for planet, but no, there are really only 4 maps

PBY

Banned
like.... a.. forest..?

Mother nature made this game?

Ramirez

Fuck, I'm loving this game. It's pure, raw fun, and that's great for a change where there are many great games, but you just need to put so much time into them to make progress.

That said, I would have love to have more planets at launch. Walker Assault and Supremacy are fun as hell, but there are only 4 maps there... I thought we would get at least two different maps for planet, but no, there are really only 4 maps

Yea, the map count is really inexcusable for the two big gametypes.

I can understand that WA probably requires a lot of work to get right, but I feel like Supremacy maps could be banged out pretty quick.

4 planets but the modes have different locations. but i agree 4 maps on supremacy or any other mode are not enough. As great as this game is but we need more maps to keep this game alive. When is the first DLC ( not jakku) supposed to be released?

4 planets but the modes have different locations. but i agree 4 maps on supremacy or any other mode are not enough. As great as this game is but we need more maps to keep this game alive. When is the first DLC ( not jakku) supposed to be released?

I don't think we know anything about the first pack. I wouldn't expect it till early next year, I hope they show something sometime soon.

Tb0ne07

This game is the catalyst for me to jump into this gen. Leaning towards PS4 this time (former xbox360 og owner) but it's painful to see all the great xbox deals and very little for the PS4. I'm just waiting for this standard bundle (not the Darth Vader themed) to be $299 and I'm in.

Anyone have any tips on shooting in this game? I'm usually pretty average at fps and keep around a 1.5 kd, but I lose most of my 1v1 battles here and struggle to keep a .5. Do you guys ads a lot, does it even matter?

I don't think we know anything about the first pack. I wouldn't expect it till early next year, I hope they show something sometime soon.

when i read the reviews i didnt believe this game could get boring after 10 hours and i still dont but 30-40 hours? only 4 maps over and over . This fact can kill this game fast. Not everbody plays every mode as to not play the same 4 maps .

I'm fairly certain the video game map is not structured literally topographically like the real forest based in the movie but instead built specifically to be a video game map.

Yeah, dig a little and the degree of spatial complexity is obviously nowhere near a real forest. Still, it gives a good impression.

This game is like digital crack for me and im resisting the urge to buy the season pass, i must resist

why? If you go by the Season pass content of battlefield you will get your moneys worth easy!

but to be sure i would wait until the first real information and gameplay is released before i buy the season pass. No need to spend 50 bucks now .

why? If you go by the Season pass content of battlefield you will get your moneys worth easy!

but to be sure i would wait until the first real information and gamplay is released before i buy the season pass. No need to spend 50 bucks now .

Pretty much what I am doing as well. I bought the pass for BF3 and 4 and they were well worth the money in content but I will wait just to be sure.

what is this blue arrow power up? i got it a couple of times in supremacy and i cant do anything with it and i cant get rid of it either....

so annoying. I got it in Cargo Mode and it switched positions or something (?) but it doesnt work ( for me) in supremacy.
Card refresher? Automatically cools down your abilities.

MikeyB

Im thinking about getting this, but pretty bummed about the low map count.

That said, I played TFC on Dustbowl almost exclusively and played HL2: DM on a three map rotation of killcubes.

However, one of those was class-based and the other was frantically fast-paced. Does the card system (which I don't understand) or the respawn locations allow the Battlefront to approximate either of those? I think I need one or the other to alleviate the monotony of a low map count.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom