• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars Battlefront |OT| Here's Where The Fun Begins

Status
Not open for further replies.

Disktrasa

Banned
Just played my first Walker Assault on Endor, i was like; What? Wait? This game! No! Wtf, is this a dream? If so, please dont wake me up!

The knee-jerk Endor is broken reactions seem to echo the Hoth level in the Beta. Everyone was crying salty tears of how skewed it was toward the Empire but by the end of the beta the win ratio seemed to even up, and that was with only a few Star Cards unlocked. It was clear that strategies needed to be formulated through playtime and I believe when higher styles of play are normalized, people play the objective and have strategic cards based on the map, people will see Endor most likely isn’t as one-sided as they think. Even if it turns out to be somewhat skewed, the game has been out for 2 full days and people are complaining about unbalanced without the playerbase as a whole putting the proper time in.

The main problem with Endor is that there's only a single walker on the map so when the Y wings hit you have 20 people firing everything at it and demolishing it.

Even if the Imperials are on top of their game it's impossible to stop the rebels from getting a few Y-wingd locked in which is good enough to take it down with the three runs.

You know I notice myself doing something very strange for me and a multiplayer FPS in this game. When I am getting killed I am laughing more than anything else or smiling from ear to ear. May seem strange to say it but the game is just so damn fun for a Star Wars fan that even when I am getting killed all the time it's still a blast to play. I usually find myself being frustrated when I get killed constantly in any other game.

Playing Endor last night for the first time and seeing a ton of Stormtroopers rush in at the start of the round while we were up in the trees in a Ewok village was something else. Or me getting the AT ST on Tatooine and getting stuck on a hill only to smacked in the side by a A- Wing killing us both, I was laughing the entire time.

Then I heard a Stormtrooper do the Wilhelm scream when he died. Just perfect.

I hope this charm doesn't wear of for a long while.

Ah, what about for the standard edition? So far the default Rebel and Imperial blasters seem way better than the ones you can buy for credits early on.

The starting weapons are still better than most of the early unlocks except for in select situations. The Rebel blaster is very, very slightly better than the E11 Imperial Blaster. The MG42-lookalike DLT-19 is probably your best bet as an early unlock gun. Decent range, devastating close up, plenty of thermal headroom.

And the DL-44 Han Solo gun is great in close quarters, but pants at any sort of range. Basically it's nothing special on the large Sullest, Hoth or Tatooine maps. But on any Endor map or on most of the smaller maps, it rocks.

Can someone please tell me if there is a way to sit idly in the menu without that mother fucking beast of an AT-AT stomping through every minute. I just want to listen to the music while posting here or eating, anything. But it constantly gets interrupted.

This is one thing I love about this game, I know I can't compete in the run and gun, I'm just not that good at FPS, but every once in a while you get to own, its fucking glorious.

Yeah it doesn't happen too often for me but when it does it's a great feeling.

I haven't got the B version yet, but the base version seemed very inaccurate after the 2nd shot? Switched back to the E-11, but I think I'll be sticking with this BR laser for a while.

The B version is slightly slower firing.

But the zoom helps it a lot in terms of accuracy.

MADGAME

The main problem with Endor is that there's only a single walker on the map so when the Y wings hit you have 20 people firing everything at it and demolishing it.

Even if the Imperials are on top of their game it's impossible to stop the rebels from getting a few Y-wingd locked in which is good enough to take it down with the three runs.
Impossible? The game has been out for 2 days. I get it, it seems tougher than the other maps but the player base as a whole has not had enough playtime to make that determination. Maybe it will end up needing balance but at least give it a little time, Hoth Walker Assault in the beta had similar reactions.

Edit: I'm not claiming it does or does not need balancing, only that thinking 48 hours or so is enough time to make that determination is premature.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
I've got the PS4 version but it's so good I'm thinking of double dipping for the PC version. Is it worth it?

I've got a i5 3750k with 8GB of memory and a GTX970.

I put in BF early last night, to let it install and update before playing( I saw the bar fill, a the update file start) Several hours later I play, but it immediately launches into the Darth Vader mission survival game
I had no idea this was even a thing. I normally wait until my PS4 games are completely copied before firing them up. The above seems like a cool way to let the player play the game (at least some part of it) while it installs.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
dis game

star1i8sbe.png

star2zaszf.png

Gotta love how DICE has yet to fix the "Spawn on Partner" bug from the beta. Never fails halfway through the match I lose my partner and can no longer spawn on him. He didn't leave the game and yet that ability is gone.

Ferrio

Banned
Gotta love how DICE has yet to fix the "Spawn on Partner" bug from the beta. Never fails halfway through the match I lose my partner and can no longer spawn on him. He didn't leave the game and yet that ability is gone.

They changed how spawns work I believe. If your partner is in active combat you can't spawn on them. Think they did this because a 2 partner team would get up in some hard to reach area and you could never dislodge them. I could be wrong.

Cth

I posted this elsewhere, but since we are bashing helmetless Stormtroopers...

If you or anyone you know uses a Stormtrooper without a helmet, you are basically spitting on Jabba's grave. Please don't commit Star Wars sacrilege.

If this were a clone army, sure, several Clone Troopers had their helmets off as they began to develop their own personalities. But NOT Stormtroopers!!! EVER!!! Only you can prevent this egregious Stormtrooper faux pas.

The comic had helmet-less troopers. Two really good stories even. Probably more.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Star_Wars_Annual_3:_The_Apprentice
http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Star_Wars_86:_The_Alderaan_Factor

I often cannot spawn on my partner but I just assumed it was because he was dead at the time. Is that not the case?

If you or anyone you know uses a Stormtrooper without a helmet, you are basically spitting on Jabba's grave. Please don't commit Star Wars sacrilege.

Do not fear my helmet will forever stay on.

They changed how spawns work I believe. If your partner is in active combat you can't spawn on them. Think they did this because a 2 partner team would get up in some hard to reach area and you could never dislodge them. I could be wrong.

Nah I'm not talking about the delay. I know about that, I'm talking about the option just straight up disappearing midway through the match.

Croatoan

They/Them A-10 Warthog
I really like the game but I can't help but feel that this reboot has been hamstrung by the removal of the old EU which had hundreds of weapons and vehicles that could have made it into this game.

By just going with the OT DICE was really limited in what they could use (particularly since Disney is hyper controlling any new EU content to protect canon).

I believe Battlefront 2 will be a better game due to new stuff being added from the upcoming movies and the expansion of the new EU (which will add even more diversity to Star Wars Canon).

The EE-3 is my jam. Finally found a blaster I like. It also works nicely with explosive shot. I just don't know how to handle the recoil at long distances yet.

By just going with the OT DICE was really limited in what they could use (particularly since Disney is hyper controlling any new EU content to protect canon).
Lucasfilm, not Disney.

GrazGamer

I guess I am the gamer this has been aimed at, a Star Wars fan and someone who has NEVER touched MP in 20 years of gaming.

It looks so good though, and as it is supposedly more newbie friendly I downloaded it on PC.

So far, not really feeling it.

I am no great FPS player but I can hold my own on higher difficulties in most games.

This game though, I am failing to find the fun.

Spawning 100m away from the action running that 100m to get back in the action to be killed by someone with better aim than me or a better gun then being sent back to the spawn point to begin again, is this actually what MP gaming is about?

I have a k/d ratio of .25, I am rank 6 and usually I am in the bottom 3 of every game with no more than 5 kills.

Will it get better or am I wasting my time? I don't suck at FPS's by any stretch but if this is as good as it gets I can think of better ways to spend my gaming time.

And the lack of auto aim with a controller on PC doesn't help my cause I am sure, but my PC is a gaming PC plugged straight into the TV.

Goliath

Super interested in this game but one question. Does this game offer online Co op against the computer? I have been playing Dying light with my friend and am looking for a new co op game to play with him.

Croatoan

They/Them A-10 Warthog
The EE-3 is my jam. Finally found a blaster I like. It also works nicely with explosive shot. I just don't know how to handle the recoil at long distances yet.

Lucasfilm, not Disney.

Hmm, so Disney is letting them work autonomously?

BTW, I am not against strictly monitoring the EU. It will keep some of the dumb shit from happening like last time. The current lack of it isn't doing Battlefront any favors though. I have a feeling Lucasfilm is keeping EA in check as far as canon goes as well.

I guess I am the gamer this has been aimed at, a Star Wars fan and someone who has NEVER touched MP in 20 years of gaming.

It looks so good though, and as it is supposedly more newbie friendly I downloaded it on PC.

I am no great FPS player but I can hold my own on higher difficulties in most games.

Spawning 100m away from the action running that 100m to get back in the action to be killed by someone with better aim than me or a better gun then being sent back to the spawn point to begin again, is this actually what MP gaming is about?

I have a k/d ratio of .25, I am rank 6 and usually I am in the bottom 3 of every game with no more than 5 kills.

Will it get better or am I wasting my time? I don't suck at FPS's by any stretch but if this is as good as it gets I can think of better ways to spend my gaming time.

And the lack of auto aim with a controller on PC doesn't help my cause I am sure, but my PC is a gaming PC plugged straight into the TV.

Even difficult fps's in single player give you bad habits when you go over to mp. If your kd is .25 then you just need more mp practice. And yeah if you've been playing for 20 years and have never played mp, you have a lot of learning to do.

Croatoan

They/Them A-10 Warthog

Bringing a controller to a mouse fight is why you are having this experience.

BTW, I am not against strictly monitoring the EU. It will keep some of the dumb shit from happening like last time. The current lack of it isn't doing Battlefront any favors though. I have a feeling Lucasfilm is keeping EA in check as far as canon goes as well.

Disney have the same approach with Lucasfilm as they do with Marvel. Hands-off, let them do their thing.

cjp

Can't wait until I unlock that perk which will hide sprinting from the map.

And the jump pack.

C'monnnnnnn.

I was an ace at flying in Battlefield but I'm flopping all over in this game. Is the flying that different? Do I need to change some settings?

It's much more arcadey.

1 stick handles all flight (pitch, turning, etc...) and the other stick handles speed (up for faster, down for slower) - so far as I know, there is no independent rudder or flap control, but I literally just started flying an X-wing this morning and haven't had a chance to mess with the other buttons.

They might be there somewhere. Might be my button configurations are different.

But I was able to dogfight and dodge missiles just using the one flight stick.

(You can set the sticks to southpaw and inverted too, just like the other BF games, if you like)

You know I notice myself doing something very strange for me and a multiplayer FPS in this game. When I am getting killed I am laughing more than anything else or smiling from ear to ear. May seem strange to say it but the game is just so damn fun for a Star Wars fan that even when I am getting killed all the time it's still a blast to play. I usually find myself being frustrated when I get killed constantly in any other game.

Playing Endor last night for the first time and seeing a ton of Stormtroopers rush in at the start of the round while we were up in the trees in a Ewok village was something else. Or me getting the AT ST on Tatooine and getting stuck on a hill only to smacked in the side by a A- Wing killing us both, I was laughing the entire time.

Then I heard a Stormtrooper do the Wilhelm scream when he died. Just perfect.

I hope this charm doesn't wear of for a long while.
Hahahaaha that's awesome. And I laughed my ass off when I first heard the Wilhelm scream too, it was so damn funny. 😁

Yeah, it's like Marvel.

And no I agree. I like that they chucked out the EU to make a more cohesive universe. I too would like to see the addition of prequel/EU material in this game as well. I really don't know what they're going to do about heroes, lol. If they stick to the OT, it's Chewbacca and then shoehorning in very minor characters.

cjp

Trait levels are reset after every match, right? There's no permanent levelling with them?

Is it upgraded per kill? The companion app lists the traits and the levels but not the upgrade criteria as far as I can tell.

demolitio

I wish there was more air support in this game since the fighters seem so disconnected from the battle on the ground outside of Walker Assault (even then, most pilots ignore the objective it seems). You fly way too fast and have way too little control to continuously strafe ground targets outside of the occasional AT-ST's.

I think the simplified controls only hurt the air combat.

mileS

I think 30% sensitivity is what I'll stick with on PS4. The default 20 is too slow to react in time when the maps can be wide open.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom