• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars Battlefront |OT| Here's Where The Fun Begins

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ferrio

Banned
I wish there was more air support in this game since the fighters seem so disconnected from the battle on the ground outside of Walker Assault (even then, most pilots ignore the objective it seems). You fly way too fast and have way too little control to continuously strafe ground targets outside of the occasional AT-ST's.

I think the simplified controls only hurt the air combat.

Only issue I have with attacking ground targets is making them out. A zoom option would be nice, but I'm starting to get better at it. Gotta flow slow and low.

It's much more arcadey.

1 stick handles all flight (pitch, turning, etc...) and the other stick handles speed (up for faster, down for slower) - so far as I know, there is no independent rudder or flap control, but I literally just started flying an X-wing this morning and haven't had a chance to mess with the other buttons.

They might be there somewhere. Might be my button configurations are different.

But I was able to dogfight and dodge missiles just using the one flight stick.

(You can set the sticks to southpaw and inverted too, just like the other BF games, if you like)

You've switched to Southpaw/Inverted? That's about the only useful advice I can give.

I'll have to fiddle with the settings to try and emulate Battlefield as much as possible. Thanks guys.

Grimsen

Seriously. It takes me out of the experience to see Stormtroopers running around bald. They shouldn't ever take their helmets off. The whole idea of a Stormtrooper is that you look the same as your comrades, you're just a number.

That sort of customization completely ruins it for me and frankly I'm pretty close to putting the game down for good because of it.

Ridicoulus post is ridiculous.

They're hard to breathe into, obv.

tumblr_mjtq7pjfz81s8tjmho1_500.gif

starwars-celebration-teaser-9.gif

Dr Prob

Banned
I guess I am the gamer this has been aimed at, a Star Wars fan and someone who has NEVER touched MP in 20 years of gaming.

It looks so good though, and as it is supposedly more newbie friendly I downloaded it on PC.

So far, not really feeling it.

I am no great FPS player but I can hold my own on higher difficulties in most games.

This game though, I am failing to find the fun.

Spawning 100m away from the action running that 100m to get back in the action to be killed by someone with better aim than me or a better gun then being sent back to the spawn point to begin again, is this actually what MP gaming is about?

I have a k/d ratio of .25, I am rank 6 and usually I am in the bottom 3 of every game with no more than 5 kills.

Will it get better or am I wasting my time? I don't suck at FPS's by any stretch but if this is as good as it gets I can think of better ways to spend my gaming time.

And the lack of auto aim with a controller on PC doesn't help my cause I am sure, but my PC is a gaming PC plugged straight into the TV.

Playing against other people is a wildly different experience than playing against AI, even on high difficulties. Plus, using a controller on PC, while not necessarily a disadvantage you can't overcome is still a disadvantage.

As to spawning far away from the objectives: yeah, it's certainly not ideal. Getting the jetpack mitigates it a bit, but unfortunately it's just one of the downsides of only being able to spawn on one person. I understand the reasoning (or at least I think I do) behind not having squads or more options, but it does come at a bit of a cost.

Anyway, gl if you decide to stick with it.

demolitio

Only issue I have with attacking ground targets is making them out. A zoom option would be nice, but I'm starting to get better at it. Gotta flow slow and low.

Yea, the visibility is the issue, but going low and slow is a nice way to guarantee your death as well and then you don't have the angle to really get more than a few shots on target.

Flying in general just seems way too simple to the point where I'm now glad they didn't do space battles.

If we at least had some light bombers that could affect the ground battle more, it would make it 100x more interesting since then the fighters have something more to contribute as well.

MADGAME

Yeah, it's like Marvel.

And no I agree. I like that they chucked out the EU to make a more cohesive universe. I too would like to see the addition of prequel/EU material in this game as well. I really don't know what they're going to do about heroes, lol. If they stick to the OT, it's Chewbacca and then shoehorning in very minor characters.
I think there are additional characters beyond Chewbacca that fans of the OT would appreciate, and have even been clamoring for. Old Obi-Wan and Yoda for the Rebels, and any of the Bounty Hunters for the Imperisls would induce hype.

At the very least, I don't believe they would feel shoehorned

I wish there was more air support in this game since the fighters seem so disconnected from the battle on the ground outside of Walker Assault (even then, most pilots ignore the objective it seems). You fly way too fast and have way too little control to continuously strafe ground targets outside of the occasional AT-ST's.

It might suck up there, but I don't mind it so much as someone who plays on the ground only. Ground battles are hectic enough as it is and it's frustrating when I get killed by fighters.

I swear every time I jump in a turbolaser on Sullust a fighter shoots me down, lol.

Trait levels are reset after every match, right? There's no permanent levelling with them?

Is it upgraded per kill? The companion app lists the traits and the levels but not the upgrade criteria as far as I can tell.

Trait Levels are reset after every DEATH. It is primarily for players getting kill streaks. Doesn't take that much though.

Ferrio

Banned
Yea, the visibility is the issue, but going low and slow is a nice way to guarantee your death as well and then you don't have the angle to really get more than a few shots on target.

Flying in general just seems way too simple to the point where I'm now glad they didn't do space battles.

If we at least had some light bombers that could affect the ground battle more, it would make it 100x more interesting since then the fighters have something more to contribute as well.

Well I'm at the point that I'm starting to recognize where people tend to gather up on maps during certain phases. So I'll just pepper those areas from a very long distance at slow speed, usually rack up a few kills/assists. I don't really have any issues with people shooting me down on the ground, usually once i hear the missile locking sound I get around behind a mountain.

Bond007

Anyone having an issue with the deluxe content disappearing?
I install it....use it....quit game...comeback and its gone

I think there are additional characters beyond Chewbacca that fans of the OT would appreciate, and have even been clamoring for. Old Obi-Wan and Yoda for the Rebels, and any of the Bounty Hunters for the Imperisls would induce hype.

At the very least, I don't believe they would feel shoehorned
Yeah they could. Yoda could work if they tweak him a bit like Palpatine. They could always introduce a stormtrooper variant like the Flametrooper in TFA.

Totally off the wall but they should do R2-D2, lol.

James93

Some type of thermal optics would fix this. But in general dog fights are really nothing but who locks first most times

demolitio

Yeah they could. Yoda could work if they tweak him a bit like Palpatine. They could always introduce a stormtrooper variant like the Flametrooper in TFA.

Totally off the wall but they should do R2-D2, lol.

I wouldn't mind them adding some of the lesser heroes (like the bodyguard that can spawn on Palpatine) that are similar to some of the classes from the old Battlefront games.

I still want an Imperial Guard hero with their non-lightsaber melee focus.

I wonder why we can't choose spawns in Walker Assault? Or at least a side to spawn on?

It's really frustrating to put in some work attacking or defending an uplink only to die and spawn on the complete opposite side of the map.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
PS4 version looks stunning on a 100 inch projector screen.

I don't think I've ever seen materials handled so well. It's a benchmark title graphically speaking.

James93

I wonder why we can't choose spawns in Walker Assault? Or at least a side to spawn on?

It's really frustrating to put in some work attacking or defending an uplink only to die and spawn on the complete opposite side of the map.

Probably becuase the game isn't fully flushed out. Along with the fact it was dumbed done massively to make it accessible

Seriously. It takes me out of the experience to see Stormtroopers running around bald. They shouldn't ever take their helmets off. The whole idea of a Stormtrooper is that you look the same as your comrades, you're just a number.

That sort of customization completely ruins it for me and frankly I'm pretty close to putting the game down for good because of it.
Yeah, its pure Hollywood reasoning. Can't be a star wearing a face covering helmet. The audience can't emote or connect with a mask.

Same reason Spiderman is always taking his mask off, or just running into circumstances that require him to remove it. Same as Iron Man. Probably a big problem with attempts to make a Halo movie too, unless we get used to the Chief running around without his helmet, like, I dunno, Sarah Palmer or Locke, etc.

Of course Vader himself would be the ultimate exception to that rule, though you could always say it was all build-up until they took the mask off.

You only lose one trait level on death, so if you're level three you're bumped to level 2 when you respawn.

Oh wow really? No wonder! I thought it was just a UI glitch that it wasn't reseting me back to the first level when I would hit three. I guess that is a bit more forgiving for someone who reaches level 3.

Ramirez

The problem is that even when you take out the opposition's air support, they're immediately back up, and unless you camp their spawn entry, they'll just shoot you down from behind while you're doing strafe runs. If you're a bad pilot and get killed, your team should be punished for that, it's pretty garbage in its current form.

Vodh

I'm having so much fun with this game it's ridiculous. Really enjoying the gameplay, graphics and sound design are just straight 10/10, random drops are fun and I'm really loving how they've decided to skip all the modern shooter bloat (not that I'm hating BLOPS 3 which is the first CoD I've bought since the WW2, but Battlefield, while fun, was always a bit much IMHO and if BLOPS 3 is representative of the franchise, it kinda feels bloated too).

My favourite modes are so far Drop Zone and Cargo (TDM is cool too). IMHO Droid Run needs some sort of an accruing score because (correct me if I'm wrong here) as the system where most games end up just after 10 minutes with a 2vs3 makes it feel a bit like a drag.

Fighter Squadron is super fun, so is Hero Hunt. Haven't tried Heroes vs Villains yet.

I imagine Supremacy and Walker Assault will become much more fun after the jump pack unlock, and I prefer the gameplay of Supremacy so far, but the feeling of being in a Star Wars battle in Walker Assault is just amazing. My only gripe with these is that the maps are HUGE and it feels a bit like 90% of the time you're running - but I'll play these too.

All in all, I'm absolutely loving it and haven't had so much fun in a game since Bloodborne.

GeeTeeCee

Just started playing today, and I can already tell that it'll be difficult to stop myself playing Fighter Squadron all the time at the expense of other modes. It's so addictive.

DICE needs to address how broken Fighter Squadron is currently. The Falcon is OP to the max and breaks the game. Some dummy on my team decided to kill other humans in his Slave 1 instead of sacrificing himself and ram the Falcon.

They also need to fix the bs where x-wings/a-wings could turn on their shields and ram enemies.

I also noticed how petty some gamers can be. Can't shake me off of you? That's ok, let me run into this cliff so you don't get the kill.

darthbob

Yeah, its pure Hollywood reasoning. Can't be a star wearing a face covering helmet. The audience can't emote or connect with a mask.

Same reason Spiderman is always taking his mask off, or just running into circumstances that require him to remove it. Same as Iron Man. Probably a big problem with attempts to make a Halo movie too, unless we get used to the Chief running around without his helmet, like, I dunno, Sarah Palmer or Locke, etc.

Of course Vader himself would be the ultimate exception to that rule, though you could always say it was all build-up until they took the mask off.

Agreed. Would be nice to have different Imperial customization, like shoulder pauldrons or camouflage patterns or something idk

Ridicoulus post is ridiculous.

They're hard to breathe into, obv.

tumblr_mjtq7pjfz81s8tjmho1_500.gif

starwars-celebration-teaser-9.gif

Heh, yeah I was being melodramatic with my last point.

I'm enjoying the game, but honestly when I do see a Stormtrooper sans helmet it does take me out of the fantasy a bit.

Eggbok

Not the most flattering shot but this just happened and I thought it was pretty cool. This me and some randoms but this just screams squad goals.

starwarsbattlefront_2l5ltv.png

Anyone down to play Heroes vs Villians on PS4? :D

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I'm very glad I didn't let some of the negativity prevent me from getting this. Some of the most fun I've had in multiplayer for a very long time.

Boke1879

Not the most flattering shot but this just happened and I thought it was pretty cool. This me and some randoms but this just screams squad goals.

Add me Boke18. I'll definitely be on later today after some Fallout. If not we can always play some other time :)

I'm very glad I didn't let some of the negativity prevent me from getting this. Some of the most fun I've had in multiplayer for a very long time.

Yea I get some of the complaints but this is a game that's perfect for me. I already have COD and this game is so easy to pick up and play. Game is fun to. It's really up to the person.

Palpable

Add me; patriot_infinity - I will be on to play in about 3 hours. Let's get an 8 man squad going and hop into some different game modes.

You're right. The Walkers in SWBF are scaled about 25% down from what they'd be in the movie.

a little bit but I think they are still impressive here. Probably made them as big as they could considering map sizes/pathing and gameplay considerations.

A bit disappointing, but they're still pretty awesome.

B-Dex

Feel free to add me on PS4. Same name as on GAF here. Just add a msg so I know where it's from. Hit rank 25 today. Can't wait for 40 for dat Rodian rebel though.

Ferrio

Banned
The problem is that even when you take out the opposition's air support, they're immediately back up, and unless you camp their spawn entry, they'll just shoot you down from behind while you're doing strafe runs. If you're a bad pilot and get killed, your team should be punished for that, it's pretty garbage in its current form.

Well on Walker Assault your main objective should be keeping the air space clear anyways, and ignoring the ground until the ATAT's are vunerable. On supremacy you just have to deal with it. Also being locked onto first isn't instant death like most people like to claim.

5taquitos

So I just had a thought regarding additional DLC Heroes and Villains, keeping the OT timeline, and needing to strike a balance:

1) This game has Shadow Troopers.
2) Shadow Troopers are from Force Unleashed http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Shadow_trooper
3) This means Force Unleashed is considered canon by Battlefront
4) If they add Obi-Wan and need an evil lightsaber wielder for balance, they can use Starkiller
5) Starkiller confirmed as DLC character

I wish

Palpable

To anyone that wants to make an 8 man squad to play on PS4 in about 3 hours, add my PSN (listed in my gaf profile).

So I just had a thought regarding additional DLC Heroes and Villains, keeping the OT timeline, and needing to strike a balance:

1) This game has Shadow Troopers.
2) Shadow Troopers are from Force Unleashed http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Shadow_trooper
3) This means Force Unleashed is considered canon by Battlefront
4) If they add Obi-Wan and need an evil lightsaber wielder for balance, they can use Starkiller
5) Starkiller confirmed as DLC character

I wish

I thought TFU sucked story-wise. They can consider Shadow Troopers canon and TFU not canon, too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom