• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars Battlefront |OT| Here's Where The Fun Begins

Status
Not open for further replies.
I find myself switching between the E-11 and EE-3 now depending on how I'm doing in a match. The T-21 just fires too slow and the DL-44 just doesn't have the range.

Magilla

Banned
What I want to know is what are the details and stipulations of the uplinks? From what I can tell, nothing changes whether they've been successfully activated or deactivated or whatever. The air support still comes, the walkers still get exposed etc. Does the amount of exposure time change? Maybe for that map with only one, maybe it should disallow AT exposure if there wasn't a successful uplink, whatever that would entail (whether it's activated at a given time? Amount of time activated vs deactivated? I have no idea).

If you watch an activated uplink it has a line that goes around the circle. When if fills you get another Y-Wing. The more Y-Wings the longer the AT-AT is exposed. If the rebels get zero Y-Wings I think the Walker still gets exposed briefly, but I might be wrong on that part.

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
I was firing off "I've got a really bad feeling about this" and at the end of the match when we were helplessly surrounded the rest of my time all fired it off repeatedly, too. Some good, funny folks in that round. :)

Btw, if anyone on PS4 sees a terrible player named JeffZeroTheHero, that's me. (It's eventually going to replace my main PSN, JeffJaqi, because I don't want my ex-wife's name tattooed on my account name any longer...)

Woorloog

Banned
I hope the heroes for dlc are obiwan, lando, yoda and chewie.

Won't happen, gotta have two Imperials (and i sure as hell don't believe Tarkin will be one).

Lando and Chewie are good possibilities, if the new heroes are not from The Force Awakens (in which case they're almost certainly Phasma, Rey, Finn and Kylo Ren).

EDIT I assume DICE means just four heroes, not four pairs of heroes, ie one hero and villain rather than either/or.

Woorloog

Banned
Bib Fortuna, man. I could legit see ol' snake shoulders himself being a villain.

Not exactly someone i'd call Imperial.

If i had to pick two Villains for the Empire from OT:

1) General Veers. He wears armor over an Imperial Officer Uniform, i think it is a distinctive enough look. And him being a front-line general (sure, he was in an AT-AT but close enough) makes him a good fit for the game. Arm him with a blaster pistol and some kind of aura-power that buffs others around. Or something like that.

2) Probably another bounty hunter, Dengar or Bossk perhaps. Iconic looks, and them being bounty hunters allows for variety of skills.

(For Rebels, Lando and Chewie, with their abilities being similar to their Imperial counterparts.)

EDIT Veers article: http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Maximillian_Veers
Funny thing about the EU version of Veers: His name is spelled Maximilian there, with one L.

JDHarbs

I think we need to start thinking bigger when it comes to potential Villains.

databank_rancor_01_169_251b682f.jpeg

For those of you not having fun, I'm just going to lay the truth on you here: No matter how much this might have been boosted up as being for casual fans and players, in the end this is going to be just like any other MP game. If you feel like it's weighted against you now, in a couple of months people who've had the time and skill to max their levels are going to be the majority. Unless you have the time to devote to getting better weapon/card unlocks, learning the key map points, and honing your aim and movement, it's not going to get any better for you and you're not going to have a good time. I'm not saying that out of meanness, or because I think I'm some sort of MVP (believe me, I waver between being mediocre and terrible at this game). It's just the way it is. You have to play and lose a whole lot before you start getting better and winning. I've bought plenty of MP games knowing all this beforehand and still feeling like I wasted my money because I didn't have the time to keep up. If it's not fun for you after a week or so, it's probably never going to be. Trade it in or sell it and buy another game you want.

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
Not exactly someone i'd call Imperial.

That's just it, though. I wouldn't call any bounty hunter "Imperial", either. Fett feels like a bit of an exception given his active involvement in ESB, but even the rest of that intro scene's lineup is a stretch IMO.

Ok, that was the most fun I've had with this game. It was an amazing supremacy match of constant pushing back and forth capturing and losing bases. Both teams were playing great. It was full of sweet moments like this:

22602752353_7b7f4f9826_o.gif

The jet pack is so awesome. As is thermal imploder. As is the enemy scan ability.

And we managed to win right before the time limit was up. What an absolute delight. I also did alarmingly well. Probably the last time I do this well. ;)

So much fun.

And I am kind of genuinely surprised at how much fun I've been having with this. It's very laid back and has various progression issues, but it satisfies my deep desire for chaotic multiplayer games in a way that seemingly only DICE games can.

B-Dex

What I want to know is what are the details and stipulations of the uplinks? From what I can tell, nothing changes whether they've been successfully activated or deactivated or whatever. The air support still comes, the walkers still get exposed etc. Does the amount of exposure time change? Maybe for that map with only one, maybe it should disallow AT exposure if there wasn't a successful uplink, whatever that would entail (whether it's activated at a given time? Amount of time activated vs deactivated? I have no idea).

The more Y wings that come the longer the AT is exposed.

MattyG

Banned
Is there something wrong with hit detection on PC? It seems like 50% of the shots that should be making contact aren't.

For those of you not having fun, I'm just going to lay the truth on you here: No matter how much this might have been boosted up as being for casual fans and players, in the end this is going to be just like any other MP game. If you feel like it's weighted against you now, in a couple of months people who've had the time and skill to max their levels are going to be the majority. Unless you have the time to devote to getting better weapon/card unlocks, learning the key map points, and honing your aim and movement, it's not going to get any better for you and you're not going to have a good time. I'm not saying that out of meanness, or because I think I'm some sort of MVP (believe me, I waver between being mediocre and terrible at this game). It's just the way it is. You have to play and lose a whole lot before you start getting better and winning. I've bought plenty of MP games knowing all this beforehand and still feeling like I wasted my money because I didn't have the time to keep up. If it's not fun for you after a week or so, it's probably never going to be. Trade it in or sell it and buy another game you want.

I'm not having fun in many parts due to the imbalance. But I assume EA is going to fix the myriad of issues like the horrible spawn placements in Walker and Supremacy.

Woorloog

Banned
Is there something wrong with hit detection on PC? It seems like 50% of the shots that should be making contact aren't.

More likely your connection has an issue. I haven't seen any hit detection issues. Indeed, the netcode seems to be impressively solid.

The DL-44 should be banned from smaller maps....its a 1 hit kill as far as i can tell. Its the equivalent of shooting a guy a bunch of times then having him run up and knife you in COD

Man I'm pissed. Just did Blast on the Hoth rebel base map and the other team all climbed up on top of the Millennium Falcon and were just sniping everyone before they could even exit the tunnel. Scoreboard ended up being 100 to 40 because they all cottoned on and climbed up there so no-one could approach. Cunts.

I hope DICE patch that now that people have jump packs. I don't normally get pissed during MP games but I hate people using exploits.

stryke

Something definitely needs to be done about A-wings hit box. It's funny sometimes seeing the three of us tailing an A-wing and we're struggling to shoot it down.

Man I'm pissed. Just did Blast on the Hoth rebel base map and the other team all climbed up on top of the Millennium Falcon and were just sniping everyone before they could even exit the tunnel. Scoreboard ended up being 100 to 40 because they all cottoned on and climbed up there so no-one could approach. Cunts.

I hope DICE patch that now that people have jump packs. I don't normally get pissed during MP games but I hate people using exploits.

I see how that could be frustrating but if a team goes that long and can't the people down, they didn't use the tools the game offers to get them down.

I see how that could be frustrating but if a team goes that long and can't the people down, they didn't use the tools the game offers to get them down.
That's not true. The majority of the people on my team didn't have jump packs so there was no way to get up there, and with half the team up there and half the team on the ground there was literally nothing anyone could do. Even tried popping a bubble shield and using a jump pack to get up there but there was a vanguard of 3 or 4 Stormtroopers who just shot me the moment the shield went away.

That's not true. The majority of the people on my team didn't have jump packs so there was no way to get up there, and with half the team up there and half the team on the ground there was literally nothing anyone could do. Even tried popping a bubble shield and using a jump pack to get up there but there was a vanguard of 3 or 4 Stormtroopers who just shot me the moment the shield went away.

The reason I said that because I have been on a team that camped the Falcon and we were bombarded by Impact Grenades and Smart Rockets.

Bastables

Play it as a tps and don't zoom. For some reason zooming or playing the game in FPS make landing shot harder. IMO ofcourse.
It actually tells you in the loading screen something along the lines of "zooming in gives you better vision but does not increase accuracy" I hitch is pretty counter intuitive to a couple of decades of fps training and evolution.

Its a big problem with unlocks when they're only balanced by other unlocks.

The reason I said that because I have been on a team that camped the Falcon and we were bombarded by Impact Grenades and Smart Rockets.
Huh... we were down one or two teammates because people quit as well but at least I know what to do next time.
Its a big problem with unlocks when they're only balanced by other unlocks.
Yeah, the bubble shield in particular completely changes objective based stuff and the jump packs change everything.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.

You can actually get up there normally off the stairs, though it's obviously much easier with a jetpack.

Toxi

Banned
All this wishing of prequel stuff really has me scratching my head as a 40 year old. We finally get back to the legit star wars era, after suffering in a sea of gungan shit and errector set droids for 16 years and you guys are actually asking for that stuff again?

/Mugatu

I don't care if it's 'old man yelling at clouds' you guys that enjoyed those movies when you were kids need to re-watch them, and feel embarrassed because they are hot garbage. I only hope the new movies are at least semi-decent because I don't want to go through that again. I guess it has to do with your age. Is it finally the time when the old guys can finally call out the young men on their nostalgia now?

end rant.. sorry.
This is the reboot of a series in which every game had prequel content. Of course people are going to lament its absence, especially when a lot of that prequel content was quite fun to play.
I think we need to start thinking bigger when it comes to potential Villains.
Holy hell I want this.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
I'm still trying to figure out what my favorite blaster is.

The DL-44 is a gun I always end up bouncing in and out of, it's basically a space deagle. Useful for medium range assaults mostly, you can snipe a bit with it if you have the steadiest hand, it's the only gun I find my self mainly going for headshots with.

As I am sure is the case with most people the RT-97C is my go to gun, it has decent damage, incredible range and it's just generally really reliable, the one thing I dislike about it is it feels really clumsy at close quarters, to the point that I can't really hit anything in there.

The DH-17 is the blaster I underrated the most, it's one of the first things you unlock and it's like 600 credits so I figured it was there to introduce players to blaster pistols but this gun is seriously a really good workhorse. It's absolutely awesome in close quarters, rather solid at range and it's got the perfect fire rate where it is always really easy to control. I feel the DH-17 doesn't get enough credit.

The T-21 and the T-21b kinda feel like long ranged versions of the DL-44, they're cool but they're not really what I want, I'm not the most accurate guy either so between the slow fire rate and the fact that it over heats quickly I can't really use these very well as I can't really correct my fire mid spam.

I oddly enough haven't given the E-11 and the AC280 much of a go around, I should since people seem to love the E-11. I just picked up the EE-3, it's got similar issues as the SE-14C where unless you hit the full burst it doesn't do much work, but if you hit the full burst it's completely devastating. Since I don't have the steadiest shot they're not really guns for me.

The jawa gun the CA-83 or whatever is a gun I only find myself using when I play blast, in blast it's really really strong since the maps are really close quarters because outside of that that thing is useless to me.

All in all though I'm really pleased with the weapon selection, they've all got their niche. The only real overlap is that the DLT-19 and the RT-97C feel a bit too similar and considering the RT is just flat out stronger stats wise that's a bit disappointing.

Mik2121

There are 3 paths to their base, if they were on the Falcon you can just go through any of the other two paths and grab their stuff. Not to say you can just throw grenades to the Falcon and destroy them.
Earlier I was playing Blast and was on top of the Falcon (btw you don't need a jump pack to get up there I think, there are two stairs that go up) and while I was able to catch some people at first, after a couple minutes they would just snipe me out from couple spots at the same time and I stopped going up there.

Really, there are some issues in this game, sure, but going up the Falcon isn't one, as it isn't an exploit either.

Late Edit: Wow I dunno why I was thinking of Cargo when you said Blast. Haven't played that mode yet, is some objective in the center area?

I kind of wish that DICE would rebalance Walker Assault to the way it was in the beta, where the Rebels had to work hard to win. I don't need every multiplayer game to be as balanced as possible; I actually would really prefer an asymmetrical game type that takes a really good team to win.

Mik2121

I kind of wish that DICE would rebalance Walker Assault to the way it was in the beta, where the Rebels had to work hard to win. I don't need every multiplayer game to be as balanced as possible; I actually would really prefer an asymmetrical game type that takes a really good team to win.

I could see a problem with that though... Some people could go like:

> Find Game
> Find out you're Rebel
> Quit
> Search another game
> Be Empire, stay until end of game
> Become Rebel
> Quit

wbarreda

I could see a problem with that though... Some people could go like:

> Find Game
> Find out you're Rebel
> Quit
> Search another game
> Be Empire, stay until end of game
> Become Rebel
> Quit
Yep, people already quit a lot in this game. Let's not add another reason for people to quit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom