• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars Battlefront |OT| Here's Where The Fun Begins

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
Just got a chance to finally buy and play this. I've been away from my PC, so I spent about 30 minutes with a friend's Xbox One copy - and my impressions then were very similar to how I felt post-beta: super shallow gameplay, and a bunch of "spawn & die" combat. Felt like there was no depth at all, as you ran around waiting to get shot.

Which... made me sad, because I used to LOVE Battlefront I and II back in the day. I was never good - far from it - but it was awesome to run around and partake in crazy battles. And so, when this new game's trailer hit early this year, I was absolutely pumped: it instantly shot to being one of my most hyped games of the year... but then as information leaked out and I played the Beta, I realized my dreams of a true BFIII were shattered.

... but you know what? This isn't the game I wanted, and it's admittedly a lot more shallow than I hoped. But, it FUN. It's exciting. It's intense. It's pure gameplay... just through and through. It's not about K/Ds and "pwning noobs." Since buying Halo 5 a month or so ago, I've wanted to chuck my controller through the TV about 1,000 times. But in this... I'm not worried about my stats or anything. I just want to run around and experience a crazy Star Wars combat simulator... and that's exactly what I've gotten.

First off, big kudos to DICE - this game runs BEAUTIFULLY on PC. I've had two crashes - one the first time I booted up, which I think was a driver issue... and one on my last game. I have no doubt they'll get ironed out. Otherwise, though... a plethora of options; the mouse acceleration (or lack thereof) is perfect. And it's super well optimized... on my GTX Titan, I'm getting 90+% utilization at almost all times; and CPU is at 70+% at almost all times. I haven't dipped below 60fps at 1080p even once - with absolute max/ultra settings. And DAMN if this game isn't a looker... It's seriously up there with the absolute most breathtaking graphics I've seen as I've grown older: DKC, Mario 64, Soul Caliber, Final Fantasy X, Half-Life 2, Doom 3, Crysis, Battlefield 3, Witcher 2... and now Battlefront. This game is just jaw-droopingly beautiful. It seriously feels like you're in a CG world at some points - Endor especially is just insane. I would LOVE to play this at 4K. The assets are clearly a LEAP beyond anything else out there.

But none of that matters if it isn't fun. But it is. YES, again... it's pretty shallow in regard to gunplay, player agency, and your move set... as well as scope (vehicles staying in a confined space, for example). But it doesn't matter, the movement is very tight, and the limited weapons are a Godsend... so sick of getting out matched by players with better weapons; but here, I feel like every gun is decent... and whatever I just unlocked feels pretty damn good. Getting the drop on enemies. Wrecking shit up in an X-Wing. Sneaking under an AT-AT to get the better damage underneath. Throwing the perfect grenade. Pulling out your sniper card at 1% health and getting the kill. Jumping onto the different bridges in Endor to get behind the enemy.

Anyway... I'm just 3 and a half hours in, and I have really only played Walker Assault and a single game of Droid Run. But I'm having a lot of fun. And, I'm actually somewhat decent... not good, but at least I feel like I'm contributing.

13 games
1.1 KD
"Most objectives" winner twice
Level 8
77% win percentage

GHG

Got this on the PS4 last night as I got sick of struggling to be competitive on the PC using a controller. The game looks surprisingly decent on the ps4, nowhere near as good or clean as the pc looks obviously but its still serviceable. I was still having fun before but now I'm having a lot more fun since my k/d ratio is a lot more balanced and I'm having some fair firefights with people. I love this game.

Is there a ps4 GAF community that I can join?

Feel free to add me on PSN.

PSN ID: OMitchF

I love this game but im so bad at it.

I have never had a match where i had more kills than deaths.

im always like 8/11 or something like this.

I guess it's pretty new to me but yeah, the best ive done is top 3 on my team.

ive tried capture the flag and TDM and both are really fun.

Im still not great with the vehicle controls though. I keep crashing Tie fighters and alliance crafts into ATATs.

This game...I've taken so many screenshots.

Vw9e9Hc.jpg

Im still not great with the vehicle controls though. I keep crashing Tie fighters and alliance crafts into ATATs.

Don't try to rush and use your radar. Play in 3rd person and lead your enemy's while shooting. It took me about 4-5 hours before it clicked and I feel it's one of the better shooters to be released.

MDave

Spawn selecting would help this game a lot.

Partner spawning is ... interesting. It's helpful that more often this will spawn me closer to where I need to be, instead of spawning 100 meters away.

So just before the game came out it was said that the star cards were remade to look a little better, black backgrounds instead of white.

Sometimes when I start my game it shows my cards with this new black background, but then I get into the game and it shows them as white. Then when I go back to the menu they are now also white there. So far I've not noticed any rhyme or reason to them, but I really like the look of the black cards.

What exactly is this about? Are they or are they not supposed to be black with gold?

B-Dex

So just before the game came out it was said that the star cards were remade to look a little better, black backgrounds instead of white.

Sometimes when I start my game it shows my cards with this new black background, but then I get into the game and it shows them as white. Then when I go back to the menu they are now also white there. So far I've not noticed any rhyme or reason to them, but I really like the look of the black cards.

What exactly is this about? Are they or are they not supposed to be black with gold?

Read the star card descriptions? Black ones are upgraded versions.

Read the star card descriptions? Black ones are upgraded versions.

Then why do mine show up as black at random times? I havent upgraded them yet. And how is reading the descriptions supposed to tell me why mine show up as black in menus sometimes? I dont need any of that sass dude

Mik2121

Then why do mine show up as black at random times? And how is reading the descriptions supposed to tell me why mine show up as black in menus sometimes? I dont need any of that sass dude
Maybe you're using your partner's upgraded cards. White is default, blacks are upgraded.

Maybe you're using your partner's upgraded cards. White is default, blacks are upgraded.

Im thinking it must just be a glitch because i took a screenshot and they were definitely my cards. Nothing in the top slot either because I havent bought any, I assume someone far enough to have upgraded cards would definitely have something there making a coincidence pretty unlikely. Plus if I were using my partners cards, I would still have them when I entered the game. But that didnt happen, back to white.

Oh well, I'll just ignore it. No big deal anyway.

There's not enough side routes on the bigger maps, everything is very narrow and forces you down a few routes which makes it hard to do anything begins push with shear force. The smaller maps are better at this, along with a less chaotic player density, such makes the game more enjoyable at least for me.

BF4 hit it really well with the big maps. Plenty of side routes and big enough maps to keep a modest player density even with 64.

There's not enough side routes on the bigger maps, everything is very narrow and forces you down a few routes which makes it hard to do anything begins push with shear force. The smaller maps are better at this, along with a less chaotic player density, such makes the game more enjoyable at least for me.

BF4 hit it really well with the big maps. Plenty of side routes and big enough maps to keep a modest player density even with 64.

Yeah it feels like Sullust is the worst offender for this. Theres usually like two hallways then no-mans-land in the middle of the map.

Sugarmonkey

Just got a chance to finally buy and play this. I've been away from my PC, so I spent about 30 minutes with a friend's Xbox One copy - and my impressions then were very similar to how I felt post-beta: super shallow gameplay, and a bunch of "spawn & die" combat. Felt like there was no depth at all, as you ran around waiting to get shot.

Which... made me sad, because I used to LOVE Battlefront I and II back in the day. I was never good - far from it - but it was awesome to run around and partake in crazy battles. And so, when this new game's trailer hit early this year, I was absolutely pumped: it instantly shot to being one of my most hyped games of the year... but then as information leaked out and I played the Beta, I realized my dreams of a true BFIII were shattered.

... but you know what? This isn't the game I wanted, and it's admittedly a lot more shallow than I hoped. But, it FUN. It's exciting. It's intense. It's pure gameplay... just through and through. It's not about K/Ds and "pwning noobs." Since buying Halo 5 a month or so ago, I've wanted to chuck my controller through the TV about 1,000 times. But in this... I'm not worried about my stats or anything. I just want to run around and experience a crazy Star Wars combat simulator... and that's exactly what I've gotten.

First off, big kudos to DICE - this game runs BEAUTIFULLY on PC. I've had two crashes - one the first time I booted up, which I think was a driver issue... and one on my last game. I have no doubt they'll get ironed out. Otherwise, though... a plethora of options; the mouse acceleration (or lack thereof) is perfect. And it's super well optimized... on my GTX Titan, I'm getting 90+% utilization at almost all times; and CPU is at 70+% at almost all times. I haven't dipped below 60fps at 1080p even once - with absolute max/ultra settings. And DAMN if this game isn't a looker... It's seriously up there with the absolute most breathtaking graphics I've seen as I've grown older: DKC, Mario 64, Soul Caliber, Final Fantasy X, Half-Life 2, Doom 3, Crysis, Battlefield 3, Witcher 2... and now Battlefront. This game is just jaw-droopingly beautiful. It seriously feels like you're in a CG world at some points - Endor especially is just insane. I would LOVE to play this at 4K. The assets are clearly a LEAP beyond anything else out there.

But none of that matters if it isn't fun. But it is. YES, again... it's pretty shallow in regard to gunplay, player agency, and your move set... as well as scope (vehicles staying in a confined space, for example). But it doesn't matter, the movement is very tight, and the limited weapons are a Godsend... so sick of getting out matched by players with better weapons; but here, I feel like every gun is decent... and whatever I just unlocked feels pretty damn good. Getting the drop on enemies. Wrecking shit up in an X-Wing. Sneaking under an AT-AT to get the better damage underneath. Throwing the perfect grenade. Pulling out your sniper card at 1% health and getting the kill. Jumping onto the different bridges in Endor to get behind the enemy.

Anyway... I'm just 3 and a half hours in, and I have really only played Walker Assault and a single game of Droid Run. But I'm having a lot of fun. And, I'm actually somewhat decent... not good, but at least I feel like I'm contributing.

13 games
1.1 KD
"Most objectives" winner twice
Level 8
77% win percentage

Starts by saying the game isn't about k/d ratios. Finishes with his k/d ratio.

But in all seriousness, this game truly is fun, and more about the sights and sounds of Star Wars to me then pwning noobs.

Oare

Being a complete shooter noob, I'm in the same situation. It often seems like it takes forever to take down enemies, so more often than not I get killed by opponents even if I shoot first. I guess it boils down to being able to fine tune aim towards the head? But I'm nowhere near good enough to pull that.
At least I'm dying a lot less than I used to.
I'm sticking to Blast until I get better at aiming.

Don't try to rush and use your radar. Play in 3rd person and lead your enemy's while shooting. It took me about 4-5 hours before it clicked and I feel it's one of the better shooters to be released.

Being a complete shooter noob, I'm in the same situation. It often seems like it takes forever to take down enemies, so more often than not I get killed by opponents even if I shoot first. I guess it boils down to being able to fine tune aim towards the head? But I'm nowhere near good enough to pull that.
At least I'm dying a lot less than I used to.
I'm sticking to Blast until I get better at aiming.

yeah im doing ok...but im getting killed a lot more than i kill people

1) im playing 3rd person

2) What is people go to gun? I dont have them all unlocked yet. Im using some RT97C or something - it has a mild zoom which is ok but it kicks pretty heavily

3) What are good things to choose for your first card? The choice in the middle i mean - im at that stage (level 7 i think)

4) im using impact grenades and thermal detonator so far - what else do people think are good to use?

5) What is the best game mode to get more cash/XP?

6) I notice there are two "Hands" a default one and a secondary one - how do you fit out this secondary one?

Does anyone else get a mild stiffy every time a thermal imploder goes off on a map? it's the best sounding thing since Biotic Blasts from Mass Effect.

Liberty4all

Banned
So I unlocked smoke grenades today. They make a HUGE difference on wide open maps like Hoth allowing your team to push forward. I rarely see them used which is a shame given how effective they are.

jfoul

Does GAF have a group for this game on PS4? We have Discord setup for Halo 5, so we can easily group up. Anything like that here?

anothertech

Ya this game is a Star Wars battle simulator. It's pure arcade fun. People need to realize that and stop worrying that it is different than 'favorite fps no. 143'

Even the single player and local co op modes can keep kids busy for days. Cause they are finally living out their Star Wars fantasys in one if the most graphically advanced games ever made lol.

Hard not to love that.

Mob_zter

Neo Member
I dont know what game some of you guys playing.I started playing last night & played about 3-4 hours i guess. Im level up to level 6. But im having so much fun. Its just pure fun. I know im still in honeymoon period. But this is the most fun iv had from a online shooter since Battlefield 3. I skipped BF4 & Played bit hardline. Never cant get into COD games even i buy them every year. Cant wait to play again. Graphics are awesome. its so FUN to play.

BHK3

Banned
Idk how anyone can enjoy heroes vs. villains or hero hunt, Luke and Leia honestly ruin the modes with how powerful they are. Played a bunch of it today to get my trophies and had 0 fun when playing as the empire, they just do not get shit done. Vaders slow and clunky, Lukes a fucking acrobat with an aoe push, solos not that good but I had a Leia today keep back 2 heros and their guards alone with her 1 shot kill pistol buff.

iBlue

I wish the PS4 GAF community allowed games.. I wanna play with gaffers.

If there is a BF community someone send it to me PSN Deap92x

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
Idk how anyone can enjoy heroes vs. villains or hero hunt, Luke and Leia honestly ruin the modes with how powerful they are. Played a bunch of it today to get my trophies and had 0 fun when playing as the empire, they just do not get shit done. Vaders slow and clunky, Lukes a fucking acrobat with an aoe push, solos not that good but I had a Leia today keep back 2 heros and their guards alone with her 1 shot kill pistol buff.

I'm good with Luke and Palpatine, so I dunno. Fett is OP, they say, but neither you nor I have listed him as such. Different strokes.

Nyx

Got up to rank 23 since Thursday, 12 hours played or so, good times.

I'm still a scrub though, I just can't keep still in online shooters and never camp somewhere so I just run around trying to kill people or play the objective, but that means I die, a lot....

Fav weapon so far is the T-21 and I like to play with Jetpack/Explosive Shot/Impact Grenade or Thermal Detonator/Explosive Shot/Impact Grenade hands.

Drop Zone is my fav mode, followed by Blast, Supremacy and Cargo.

Nodnol

Check out the spawn system on Hoth Supremacy. WTF. I added a little bit of lead in gameplay to show that I was just trying to play the game and was confronted with this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sJbQ0wnxQGY

How can this have been anything but placeholder? Who thinks this is good game design?

I was with a friend, sat near there whilst the enemy team was spawning there. I managed to get a few of them.

My friend however, was in an AT-ST. He went 80 - 6.

shmoglish

My copy should arrive today. Swapped bayonetta against Battlefront (seeling my WiiU).

The Beta was fun, but not "releasedaybuy"-fun, so I am happy with the deal I made.

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
Well, that was nine hours straight of Battlefront. I haven't been glued to a game for so long since ME3.

That settles it: when I can afford this game I am absolutely buying it. I'll need to get a PS+ subscription too though (used a free trial for now since I'm renting the game) so it'll be a while.

B-Dex

I was with a friend, sat near there whilst the enemy team was spawning there. I managed to get a few of them.

My friend however, was in an AT-ST. He went 80 - 6.

Yep same thing happened to my team. Someone camped an AT-ST there and Bobba Fett joined the party! Took me 8 respawns till I could do anything besides hit the ST once or twice before death.

bosseye

Love this game so much on PS4. Maybe 12 hours in or so, I'm not stellar at it as I've only just hit Level 13 (Jump pack!), but its been a blast.

It has a few issues as noted by everyone else (spawn locations and spawn camping are my big two), but the fun factor balances it out for me.

Had an epic game of Supremacy last night on Hoth (I've only even played as the Rebels on this one though), the entire game hinged around the control point in the hangar, it changed hands numerous times. We were holding it as the timer came up to around 2 minutes to go, the control point became contested so me and some others headed back that way, only to find Vader stood in there wiping everyone out and we lost the point...time ticking down as we all respawn and then amazingly, everyone went the same way for a change, everyone realised we needed to recapture the control point to win, so it became an epic push through the hangar, explosions, lasers, bodies flying everywhere, enough of us remained to push through to the control point for some epic, desperate battling; we nabbed the control point with 20 seconds to go, VICTORY!

It was amazing.

I tend to play Supremacy or Walker Assault, but TDM, Droid run and the drop pod one are fun too. I'm not a fan of HvV or anything involving flying.

I love all the maps too, the more I play, the more I appreciate the nuance in them. Each one requires a change of pace, Endor moon especially given how much foliage is in the way and how confusing the map can become.

Favourite weapons are the E-11 and the starting DH-17 pistol blaster thing. Haven;t found anything that suits my playstyle quite as much as those. The DH-17 strikes the perfect balance between damage and range for me. Also loving having the jump pack finally, but I do miss my sniper rifle when I have that hand active.

I'm seriously considering the season pass, something I've never ever done before.

Bradach

I bought BF4 at launch and decided I would never buy a DICE game at launch again.

I haven't heard of many problems with this one though.

Is it a fully functional product already?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom