• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars Battlefront |OT| Here's Where The Fun Begins

Status
Not open for further replies.

deoee

I honestly can't put a pin in why exactly, but it's definitely boring for me already. I like the gameplay, even if it's a bit shallow. I like most of the modes that are here and the presentation is unbeatable. I can only play for an hour or so before my friends and I get bored and play other games. Maybe Fallout is distracting me and it's not Battlefront's fault. Dunno.

I'm only level 10, I think unlocking stuff is way too slow for a more casual player too. I just want the jump pack.

Jump Pack is at 13 (?) and a total gamechanger for me :D
So much fun zipping around - better don't spend your coins until you have it :D

Mik2121

Oh man, the only thing that annoys me about Squadron mode is when a teammate picks the hero item right in front of me (using a turbo to get ahead), and that's all I see of him for the rest of the game. Whatever the fuck he did with the Slave-I, dunno, but definitely not playing because he wasn't in the game anymore..

Then the opponents took the Falcon and won even though their highest kill was 6-6 and I was at 8-19 with my TIE... :/ If only I had the Slave-I we would have won!

Klyka

Banned
Jump Pack is at 13 (?) and a total gamechanger for me :D
So much fun zipping around - better don't spend your coins until you have it :D

Jump Pack is pretty good for getting to otherwise inaccessible areas and then spamming grenades from up there while no one without a pack can reach you.

Mik2121

Jump Pack is pretty good for getting to otherwise inaccessible areas and then spamming grenades from up there while no one without a pack can reach you.

Second post where you talk about that. Quit it, man... or reach rank 13 and jump to those areas, dunno?
I use the Jump Pack a lot to jump around during some of the game modes and it's great.

Klyka

Banned
Second post where you talk about that. Quit it, man... or reach rank 13 and jump to those areas, dunno?
I use the Jump Pack a lot to jump around during some of the game modes and it's great.

I have the jump pack and I do the above.
I said it was pretty good for that.
I don't see how that is a bad thing to say? it's a legitimate tactic that works quite well.

Mik2121

I have the jump pack and I do the above.
I said it was pretty good for that.
I don't see how that is a bad thing to say? it's a legitimate tactic that works quite well.
Uhm, then sorry, I misunderstood you!
It's just the way you say it, it sounds like a cheat, heh.

deadduck

Because I am the kind of gamer that looks past presentation once he has seen it and looks more at the gameplay.

Hitscan weapons, gunskins, kill streaks does not equal gameplay.

There's more gunskill (gameplay) required in Battlefront than hitting a button when an enemy is in the middle of the screen.

Ramirez

Can people please finally describe what they expect from the gameplay? Why is it shallow?

Im Lvl 35 on Xbone and still not bored.

There's very little skill gap in shooting compared to something like H5. I also hate how the game doesn't punish you at all when it comes to vehicle use. Get fucked in a ship? It's cool, just go grab that respawn immediately right after you immediately respawn too, lol. The game is more concerned with keeping the look of a SW battle going more than anything else. I like it, but little shit like that adds up, and I get bored of it after an hour or so a night. No clue how long this game will hold my interest.

Wil348

I think DICE might need to remove the ability to use a grenade while using a personal shield. You can zip around with the jump pack while shielded and just chuck impact grenades at people. It felt cheap when I tried it and I can see people using this tactic.

Can people please finally describe what they expect from the gameplay? Why is it shallow?

Im Lvl 35 on Xbone and still not bored.

It's very light run and gun. There aren't as many perks or loadout options as something like CoD, so there's less variety.

For me though, I mostly play Halo where there's more depth to the gunplay. Weapon performance based on map location, power weapons, major distinction in body vs headshots, damage differences against shields/health. There are more layers to each encounter in that game. Maybe I'm not articulating my thoughts correctly but Halo and/or Gears feel much deeper.

Battlefronts encounters regularly come down to who shoots first and can stay on target. Accuracy matters, of course, but it feels like very little beyond that does. I appreciate that you have to lead your target. It's fun, and it's fine, but I just get bored after about an hour session.

The game modes are what keep it interesting for me, not the actual gunplay.

deoee

I think DICE might need to remove the ability to use a grenade while using a personal shield. You can zip around with the jump pack while shielded and just chuck impact grenades at people. It felt cheap when I tried it and I can see people using this tactic.

Combine this with the trait where you reset cooldowns on kills... :D

Well you can also use impact grenades to take him out, no?

Waldini

I'm still questioning if I should buy this game. I'm a huge Star-Wars fan and I'd love to add this to my collection. Yet, the 60 euro price-tag and the lack of content has me in doubt.

Sure, the game looks and sounds fantastic and I have several friends that play the game and say its awesome ... but I'm trying to prevent myself from making a Titanfall mistake.

ForceGAF, help me out!

BokehKing

Banned
It's very light run and gun. There aren't as many perks or loadout options as something like CoD, so there's less variety.

For me though, I mostly play Halo where there's more depth to the gunplay. Weapon performance based on map location, power weapons, major distinction in body vs headshots, damage differences against shields/health. There are more layers to each encounter in that game. Maybe I'm not articulating my thoughts correctly but Halo and/or Gears feel much deeper.

Battlefronts encounters regularly come down to who shoots first and can stay on target. Accuracy matters, of course, but it feels like very little beyond that does. I appreciate that you have to lead your target. It's fun, and it's fine, but I just get bored after about an hour session.

Err this game is not supposed to be a try hard competitive shooter like halo, halo is borderline boring with how serious it takes itself. from bans to no social playlists.

This game is for everyone, not a niche market

Just saw that Jedi Starfighter didn't even get a plat. Shame. Don't think I'll bother picking it up when they get around to putting it on psn. I'll just rebuy it on ps2. It was one of my favorite games on ps2 but if they can't be bothered to put more trophies in I don't see why I should be bothered to purchase it.

bombshell

Huh, then surely it requires you to get the kill while the enemy is actively holding the square button. Just getting defence-kills won't count?

No, description says: "Kill 10 enemies trying to claim your team's pod in Drop Zone" literally meaning a single pod in a single game.

Check the trophy percentage, it's like the rarest one out there :D

I have it, it's cumulative. It does not have to be 10 times on a single drop pod.

What you need is "Pod activation stopped" for your kill to count, then repeat 10 times. Not too hard, but it will take some matches to get it.

I have it, it's cumulative. It does not have to be 10 times on a single drop pod.

What you need is "Pod activation stopped" for your kill to count, then repeat 10 times. Not too hard, but it will take some matches to get it.

yeah, ok, gotta get on that grind then, i thought the "Defensive kill" was enough. (and i still think it should be enough, why would i wait until they are activating it already)

already did the "kill 10 cargo carriers" by letting them purposefully grab the flag and then shooting them in the back with the shotgun :(

Err this game is not supposed to be a try hard competitive shooter like halo, halo is borderline boring with how serious it takes itself. from bans to no social playlists.

This game is for everyone, not a niche market

Halo 5 has those issues, but Halo has a long history of unrivaled variety and custom games options.

That's fine that the reason I find Halo to be deeper is boring to you. I was asked what I found shallow about Battlefront, and so I explained it the best I could. I'm not trying to make a statement that Battlefront should be anything but what it is, I was just asked why I (and others to an extent) think the gunplay is shallow.

nib95

Banned
There's very little skill gap in shooting compared to something like H5. I also hate how the game doesn't punish you at all when it comes to vehicle use. Get fucked in a ship? It's cool, just go grab that respawn immediately right after you immediately respawn too, lol. The game is more concerned with keeping the look of a SW battle going more than anything else. I like it, but little shit like that adds up, and I get bored of it after an hour or so a night. No clue how long this game will hold my interest.

Pretty sure there's a higher headshot multiplier in Battlefront than there is in Halo 5 or BLOPS3, so not really sure how you came to that conclusion. With Halo 5 specifically, the "skill gap" in shooting, is often more about simply dominating power weapon spawns, nade spamming, and sticking in groups over straight aiming skill. Ironically in that regard, Battlefront to me offers more of a skill gap with the actual aiming and gunplay itself.

Nemic77

How long does DICE usually take to patch/tweak their games? Have they rebalanced Battlefield after it's release?

I'm having lot's of fun playing but some cards really need their cooldowns increased and one or two weapons tweaked as well. Not to mention the balance of some maps and game modes.

How long does DICE usually take to patch/tweak their games? Have they rebalanced Battlefield after it's release?

I'm having lot's of fun playing but some cards really need their cooldowns increased and one or two weapons tweaked as well. Not to mention the balance of some maps and game modes.

They tend to put patches out, big ones with DLC. So I would assume when Jakku launches next week.

Finished the 4 Survival maps. If they add more of those in the Season Pass it will be another push for me to buy it. I really enjoyed them and plan to play thought them a bit. Nice to take a break and do some Singleplayer fun.

yeah, ok, gotta get on that grind then, i thought the "Defensive kill" was enough. (and i still think it should be enough, why would i wait until they are activating it already)

already did the "kill 10 cargo carriers" by letting them purposefully grab the flag and then shooting them in the back with the shotgun :(

They're garbage trophies that encourage reckless and counterintuitive play. How about:

Cargo - "Score the cargo 5 times."

Drop Zone - "Get 10 offensive or defensive pod kills."

There, I fixed that shit in like five seconds.

Kingsora

Would rather have no penis than have to show his to a medical professional
Finished the 4 Survival maps. If they add more of those in the Season Pass it will be another push for me to buy it. I really enjoyed them and plan to play thought them a bit. Nice to take a break and do some Singleplayer fun.
dud you finsih them on hard without dying?

heringer

Halo is definitely deeper. Gears... ehhhh, debatable. It might be, but not by a big margin.

Battlefront is in the same ballpark as COD and Gears as far as depth goes, imo. COD does have more perks and customization, but the core gunplay is as shallow as it gets.

Halo is definitely one of the deepest console FPS I've played. Counter Strike beats that, but that game is unplayable with pads since it requires so much finesse and precision.

heringer

Pretty sure there's a higher headshot multiplier in Battlefront than there is in Halo 5 or BLOPS3, so not really sure how you came to that conclusion. With Halo 5 specifically, the "skill gap" in shooting, is often more about simply dominating power weapon spawns, nade spamming, and sticking in groups over straight aiming skill. Ironically in that regard, Battlefront to me offers more of a skill gap with the actual aiming and gunplay itself.

Isn't the headshot multiplier in recent CODs 1.1x or something? It's pretty pointless.

Anyone did the calculation on Battlefront?

TalesFromHoth

Neo Member
Level 21 on the Xbone and loving the game still.

Supremacy by far is my favorite mode and love being the Emperor when I can, I think on one match I was him for almost the entire time.

Walker Assault - I used to love this, but is it just me or do the Rebels win pretty much every time. I think I only had one Empire win match on Walker Assault.

I am only at level 9. :( Still love the game though.

I have noticed people with Black cards. It will take me forever to get anything like that.

Loving this game, just wish it had more maps. The variety in locations is lacking, particularly when every Star Wars game has done Hoth before. Buts it's a great casual MP shooter. Much more 'pick up and play than CoD wrx I reckon.

God it's frustrating to get horrid teams in this game. GO FOR THE UPLINKS, FOCUS THE AT-AT, DON'T GO MINUS 30!

Battlefield effect :E love it when half of the team just ignores the Cargo/Pod/Uplinks and just randomly runs around the map "trying to get kills"

People just don't know or want to pick the Team Deathmatch mode for that purpose...

todahawk

Battlefield effect :E love it when half of the team just ignores the Cargo/Pod/Uplinks and just randomly runs around the map "trying to get kills"

People just don't know or want to pick the Team Deathmatch mode for that purpose...

It's so damn frustrating. And I haven't seen camping this bad in a long time.
I really wish DICE would de-emphasize kills on the score screens for objective based modes and focus on other stuff.

You mean "i want them to remove it altogether".

Dodging it is so easy as it is.

yeah it's only really effective in open fields or straight line corridors. If you hear the locking sound it's often enough to just crouch or move a little behind the nearest objects to dodge it.

also the passive skill of explosion damage reduction helps if chosen.

heringer

Dammit now I'm really curious about the headshot multiplier but the PC version doesn't have splitscreen so I can't easily test it, lol.

I know Battlefield games usually have 2~2.5 multipliers, but maybe they dumbed it a little down in Battlefront.

Ferr986

I feel like the only one that would be ok with having even less unlockable perks lol

Like, some stuff there should be a 1 time use found in the battlefield.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom