• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars Battlefront |OT| Here's Where The Fun Begins

Status
Not open for further replies.
I finally got around to using the DL-44. Yes it's an absolute monster at close range, but it's a 4 shot kill at medium range and it has a hefty recoil per shot. I generally always use explosive shot, but it doesn't seem to do much for the DL-44 as opposed to the EE-3 or the SE pistol (which becomes absolutely disgusting with it).

heringer

I finally got around to using the DL-44. Yes it's an absolute monster at close range, but it's a 4 shot kill at medium range and it has a hefty recoil per shot. I generally always use explosive shot, but it doesn't seem to do much for the DL-44 as opposed to the EE-3 or the SE pistol (which becomes absolutely disgusting with it).

Explosive shot works best with high fire rate weapons.

i gotta admit, game is an absolute marvel audiovisually, like legit fucking amazing even to a cynic like me. so yeah.. excellent job DICE!

but.. i suck HARD :( really depressing to play when it's death 3 seconds after spawning in Walker Assault. again and again and again. why is there always an invincible Skywalker asshole around the corner? why are there homing rockets? why does everyone have infinite nades? why can i never control vehicles? and when i finally do why do i get shot to pieces instantly?

argh so frustrating. maybe im too old for this, probably should just give up.

derFeef

i gotta admit, game is an absolute marvel audiovisually, like legit fucking amazing even to a cynic like me. so yeah.. excellent job DICE!

but.. i suck HARD :( really depressing to play when it's death 3 seconds after spawning in Walker Assault. again and again and again. why is there always an invincible Skywalker asshole around the corner? why are there homing rockets? why does everyone have infinite nades? why can i never control vehicles? and when i finally do why do i get shot to pieces instantly?

You my bro. Same for me - no idea how those top scorers do... all the time. But from now and then I get good matches and are in the top third or half, that's success for me... :)

You my bro. Same for me - no idea how those top scorers do... all the time. But from now and then I get good matches and are in the top third or half, that's success for me... :)

yeh. i actually do ok in smaller matches but thats not what i want to play.. its a dilemma.

Klyka

Banned
The AT-ST is SUCH a deathtrap.
I swear,the only way to make it work is to play with a friend or two who have smoke grenades equipped and throw them on you,so people can't lock on.

Klyka

Banned

You need to hang back, camp power ups and hero power ups and also run around the edges of the map picking people off or throwing grenades constantly.
That will make your KDR skyrocket.

Can someone explain to me how the FUCK! The Rebel vs Imperial air battle is balanced?

I just played 2 games of Walker Assault.

I went 15 kills 0 deaths as an A-Wing and fucking wrecked so much damage it was crazy, for example I came so close to killing a ton of AT-ST's and turrents and damaged the ground force heavily, I came 1st overall in the game and that was my first time ever in Walker Assault :)

I then got switched to Imperial and tried to do the same, only to discover the Tie Figthers are made of fucking paper. I got 0 kills from 6 attempts in a Tie fighter, each time being roasted by an X-Wing immediately.

You can't evade as well as the X-wings, you don't have as much health either.

What is the advantage of being the Imperials in the air? A quick burst of speed so you can?.....get a little head start of the X-Wing you can't shake before you die to what feels like 3-4 shots?

EDIT: Didn't see spoiler tags.

And that's Uncharted 1.

Yep, the A-Wing is OP as hell.

Moff

yeah they need to buff tie fighters.
it's kinda ok in the starfighter battle mode but in other modes like supremacy and walker assoult ties get wrecked immediately. I do not use them anymore.

The best advice I can give anyone is work on your movement, work on how to flank, the routes to take and work on being patient, take that extra minute to find a route away from the action if you can, but where you have eyes on the enemy.

Movement > Shooting ability.

derFeef

You need to hang back, camp power ups and hero power ups and also run around the edges of the map picking people off or throwing grenades constantly.
That will make your KDR skyrocket.

Eh, KDR is not that important to me, but I want to paly the objective, but that's almost always at the front. And I am getting smacked in no time trying to do so...

The best advice I can give anyone is work on your movement, work on how to flank, the routes to take and work on being patient, take that extra minute to find a route away from the action if you can, but where you have eyes on the enemy.

Movement > Shooting ability.

I am strafing like crazy when I am in a fight ;) I am not that bad of a shot actually.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
The balance issue comes from the game being more concerned with pandering to power fantasy and "it's Star Wars" than operating as a tightly woven ebb-and-flow of game objectives and systems. Most of the stuff that is "over powered" is that way because it's easy to use and frequently instant kill. This is the folly of Battlefront and its pandering to cheap power. Homing shot, grenade volly, that charge laser rifle, etc. They're not perfect, as they're contextually avoidable, but the actual use of this equipment is borderline effortless for an instantaneous reward; a kill.

Work needs to and can be done, but I think this'll be an inherent problem for Battlefront entire. The game just isn't particularly well thought out in the same way Battlefield is (which has its own problems), when it comes to complexities in game systems and balance. Many matches for many players simply resort to finding the cheesiest way to rack up kills, whether it be camping with the AT-ST, owning the sky in an A-Wing, or abusing homing shot.

Hikami

Yep, the A-Wing is OP as hell.
Have you guys tried using the shield on the A-Wing and ramming into other vehicles? You can destroy an AT-ST and come out undamaged for example just by flying into it.

Can't do much with the speed boost on the imperial ships on the other hand..

heringer

The balance issue comes from the game being more concerned with pandering to power fantasy and "it's Star Wars" than operating as a tightly woven ebb-and-flow of game objectives and systems. Most of the stuff that is "over powered" is that way because it's easy to use and frequently instant kill. This is the folly of Battlefront and its pandering to cheap power. Homing shot, grenade volly, that charge laser rifle, etc. They're not perfect, as they're contextually avoidable, but the actual use of this equipment is borderline effortless for an instantaneous reward; a kill.

Work needs to and can be done, but I think this'll be an inherent problem for Battlefront entire. The game just isn't particularly well thought out in the same way Battlefield is (which has its own problems), when it comes to complexities in game systems and balance. Many matches for many players simply resort to finding the cheesiest way to rack up kills, whether it be camping with the AT-ST, owning the sky in an A-Wing, or abusing homing shot.

Now even the pulse rifle needs a nerf? How is a sniper rifle that needs two seconds to charge "effortless to use"?

Might as well remove all the cards and weapons and just leave everybody with E-11's. Now that will be balanced.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Now even the pulse rifle needs a nerf? How is a sniper rifle that needs two seconds to charge "effortless to use"?

Might as well remove all the cards and weapons and just leave everybody with E-11's. Now that will be balanced.

I didn't say they needed to be nerfed. I said the game design by nature provides tools for easy kills as that's how it's designed. It's easy to use because you charge over a second or two, point at your target, and fire for a long range hitscan instant kill.

I don't really give a shit because it isn't detrimental to my play, not unlike the fucking abhorrent local matchmaking. But that's Battlefront.

Of the actual blasters the DL-44 is probably the only one that needs a slight nerf. Medium-short range in the hands of an adequate shooter it dominates, but so do other guns so whatever.

heringer

I didn't say they needed to be nerfed. I said the game design by nature provides tools for easy kills as that's how it's designed. It's easy to use because you charge over a second or two, point at your target, and fire for a long range hitscan instant kill.

I don't really give a shit because it isn't detrimental to my play, not unlike the fucking abhorrent local matchmaking. But that's Battlefront.

Of the actual blasters the DL-44 is probably the only one that needs a slight nerf. Medium-short range in the hands of an adequate shooter it dominates, but so do other guns so whatever.

But that's snipers for you. By implication you probably think every sniper in every game is effortless to use, because they are usually one hit kill and it doesn't take one second to charge.

Have you guys tried using the shield on the A-Wing and ramming into other vehicles? You can destroy an AT-ST and come out undamaged for example just by flying into it.

It's kinda weird that the A-wing (X-wing too?) gets kill credit for ramming. Yet I generally don't get kill credit if I ram into a rebel ship with a Tie variant.

EatChildren

But that's snipers for you. By implication you probably think every sniper in every game is effortless to use, because they are usually one hit kill and it doesn't take one second to charge.

Most snipers in most games including DICE's own Battlefield are not instant kills. Battlefield has you calculate ballistic travel and drop, and unless it's a headshot it wont be instant kill. Team Fortress 2 also generally only instant kills if a headshot and on a particularly squishy class. Maybe snipers are instantaneous kills via hitscan bodyshots in Call of Duty? I dont know. We're clearly playing different shooters and so the implications you're drawing from my post are false.

heringer

Most snipers in most games including DICE's own Battlefield are not instant kills. Battlefield has you calculate ballistic travel and drop, and unless it's a headshot it wont be instant kill. Team Fortress 2 also generally only instant kills if a headshot and on a particularly squishy class. Maybe snipers are instantaneous kills via hitscan bodyshots in Call of Duty? I dont know. We're clearly playing different shooters and so the implications you're drawing from my post are false.

Call of Duty, also Counter Strike. The AWP in CS is one shot kill and it's considered a high skill weapon.

The pulse rifle needs time to charge and has a cooldown. It's pretty balanced in my view.

jorma

is now taking requests

The pulse rifle isn't insta-kill unless you headshot.

EatChildren

The pulse rifle isn't insta-kill unless you headshot.

Are you sure? Fully charged? I don't think I've ever hit someone with a full charge and not instant killed.

jorma

is now taking requests
Are you sure? Fully charged? I don't think I've ever hit someone with a full charge and not instant killed.

I didn't actually know that you could charge them. Mind relatively blown. :)

But it's pretty hard to hit someone as it is, i can't imagine it being easier if you have to charge it for a second and hope the dude at the other end of your scope is still there by then.

heringer

I didn't actually know that you could charge them. Mind relatively blown. :)

But it's pretty hard to hit someone as it is, i can't imagine it being easier if you have to charge it for a second and hope the dude at the other end of your scope is still there by then.

I think it takes two seconds and the game is pretty fast paced so you won't find a lot of sitting ducks. I salute everybody who kills me with a pulse rifle because I feel it's an earned kill.

PSOreo

I'm a massive 'Star Wars' fan, I loved the beta but felt it was a little repetitive. I can only afford one game this holiday season so I just wondered if the full game is worth it?

The impression I've got so far, correct me if I'm wrong, is the "love it or hate it" vibe, while it looks stunning and plays okay, there isn't enough content or depth to make you want to keep playing after a couple of hours.

I'm getting Fallout 4 as a gift so it's either this or Just Cause 3. Just wanted some honest thoughts.

Beefy

Man the spawning in this game is crazy. I went from having a 1.35 k/d ratio to a 1 in one game. I was spawned in a large group of enemies 20 times in a row!

Also what trat have people been picking?

jorma

is now taking requests
I think it takes two seconds and the game is pretty fast paced so you won't find a lot of sitting ducks. I salute everybody who kills me with a pulse rifle because I feel it's an earned kill.

Yeah i found it rather difficult to use, and i'll likely ditch it forever as soon as i get the 10 headshots required for my current challenge. Gonna try charging it tonight and see if it makes me change my mind.

heringer

Yeah i found it rather difficult to use, and i'll likely ditch it forever as soon as i get the 10 headshots required for my current challenge. Gonna try charging it tonight and see if it makes me change my mind.

It's not super difficult to use, but it certainly isn't effortless. You need to aim and charge really fast and kill moving targets because in this game there's shots coming from everywhere and you can't affort to stand still for too long.

vixlar

I'm a massive 'Star Wars' fan, I loved the beta but felt it was a little repetitive. I can only afford one game this holiday season so I just wondered if the full game is worth it?

The impression I've got so far, correct me if I'm wrong, is the "love it or hate it" vibe, while it looks stunning and plays okay, there isn't enough content or depth to make you want to keep playing after a couple of hours.

I'm getting Fallout 4 as a gift so it's either this or Just Cause 3. Just wanted some honest thoughts.

I would go for Just Cause 3. Wait for Battlefront to have more maps.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
On the contrary, for fighter squadron speed boost is awesome for getting back to the fight quickly after a respawn, and for rushing a transport. Basically a mini Zerg rush on transport or death. A number of us last night always managed to coordinate boosts out of the gate and rushing transports to huge effect. It would line up where there's be 4-5 of us at a spot and only 1-4 Rebels who we could then easily pick off.

Rygar 8 Bit

Jaguar 64-bit

play in 3rd person and stay in cover always try and stay out of line of sight and as for rockets it gives you a message that you are being locked onto once you see the red thing pop up in the middle of your screen showing what direction the rocket is coming from take cover so the rocket hits that and not you

Eh, KDR is not that important to me, but I want to paly the objective, but that's almost always at the front. And I am getting smacked in no time trying to do so...

what mode is giving you problems doing the objective?

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
I'm having a lot of fun with this as a huge Star Wars fan who's at most very casually into competitive shooters. The casual nature of the game helps a lot, even though I do mostly suck and have a terrible k/d ratio.

I probably like Fighter Squadron best, but also enjoy Supremacy, Dropzones, Blast and Heroes v. Villains. Shelled out for the season pass as I'll make this my go to MP game for most of this generation as it's so good to just pick up and play a match or three.

MADGAME

Formed a small team last night and did very well, won every Walker Assault game on Endor too. A semi=regular group to play with would be nice.

I'm on PS4, Central Time, and play evenings/weekends if interested. PSN is same as GAF

Certinty

I'll say Just Cause 3.

I love the gameplay in Battlefront but honestly after playing it a fair amout I'm rather bored with it.

Crackbone

I'm rank 42 as of last night, and I have a ton of hours played, there are four problems with the game right now as far as balance goes. (generally, I'm sure you could find a few more but these are mine)

1. Impact grenades need a nerf. Either give them a deadzone before the are "live" or tone the damage.

2. Some of the spawn points on Supremacy are just wrong.

3. DL-44 is strong. Either nerf damage or reduce range.

4. Fix the A-Wing hit box.

Other than that, I don't have a ton of problems with it. Some of the complaints about blaster damage are just a learning curve. Now that I have a really good feel for how each gun performs and more importantly how to aim both ADS and hipfire, it just works.

Lastly to those who complained about matchmaking. I'm not sure what's going on but last night I started getting matched appropriately across the board.

No more level 1 noobs, but all 40+ and the games were competitive and intense.

One of the biggest changes they can make is forcing more points on the objectives. It's far too focused on K/D right now, so people ignore the damn objectives and ruin the whole match.

If they correct that, I feel like other issues with balance would fall into place.

I'm rank 42 as of last night, and I have a ton of hours played, there are four problems with the game right now as far as balance goes. (generally, I'm sure you could find a few more but these are mine)

1. Impact grenades need a nerf. Either give them a deadzone before the are "live" or tone the damage.

2. Some of the spawn points on Supremacy are just wrong.

3. DL-44 is strong. Either nerf damage or reduce range.

4. Fix the A-Wing hit box.

Other than that, I don't have a ton of problems with it. Some of the complaints about blaster damage are just a learning curve. Now that I have a really good feel for how each gun performs and more importantly how to aim both ADS and hipfire, it just works.

Lastly to those who complained about matchmaking. I'm not sure what's going on but last night I started getting matched appropriately across the board.

No more level 1 noobs, but all 40+ and the games were competitive and intense.

The blaster damage is still, and is always been, bullshit. As people have said, it's a product of their online system and not necessarily the blasters themselves. I will say that the shotgun pistol (I don't remember the name) is so bullshit because the range on that thing still allows for medium play. You can damage someone to almost half their health with one shot and follow up without too much issue since they give you three shots.

As for matchmaking, I'm only level 17, but it does feel like it's getting better. Sides are still getting wiped without too much issues due to the lack of auto balance and team scramble though, so I feel like people are leveling up not through skill but attrition.

Nyx

Just checked my detailed stats. (rank 23)

1.212 kills, 522 kill assists and......1.897 deaths.

Damn I suck.

Klyka

Banned

Damn I suck.

I just joined a Supremacy match and killed 5 people before my first death.
Then i kept spawning in two spawn points and getting immediately killed over and over until the round ended.
I ended up going 5-20 and could never even move towards the capture points.

Don't dwell on your deaths in this game, they mean absolutely nothing in the face of this spawn system and map design.

The only way your KDR could mean anything is if you only ever play the small map modes. Well,except Hero Hunt.

Honestly, I'd wait it out. See what DICE does as far as balance and exactly what gets added at the start of December. If you like what you see from them then I'd jump in. It is an extremely fun game and most of the glaring faults(a-wing/dl-44/spawns) can be easily patched.

I had to put the multiplayer down for a couple of days once I hit Rank 50 because the spawns in Drop Zone(especially Dune Sea Exchange) made me rage.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost

Damn I suck.

Naw honestly I'd say that's about what your average player has, I would be really surprised if the average player has a 1.0 KDR. I've been on winning teams where only 1 person on my team had a positive KDR because we played the objective hard.

I'd imagine most people are hovering around a .7 and that's fine. Honestly if I get 15 kills in a smaller game or 25 kills in a big game and I got a ton of points I feel like I did really great...even if I did die 30 times.

Also I think that in general the game needs more feedback for certain things, like hero token spawns need to be really obvious and really clear when they spawn for you. Having one spawn and not noticing it really sucks. Also things like your crosshair should change when you pull out a starcard weapon, the only gun i've seen that does this is the bowcaster. The hit direction indicator also isn't very good, scoring headshots doesn't make a distinctive sound either and I think they should.

sam777

I have not lost a match on Drop Zone yet but I drew one because it joined me with 30 seconds left, so annoying. Spoilt my 100% win record.

adj_noun

I finally found the secret A-Wing nerf.

Play against a team at least half to 3/4ths composed of people who are either using X-Wings or don't know about shields yet.

B-Dex

Some people found a way to camp near the top of the TIE hanger on sorrusoub? complex. In the rocks to the left of the hangar opening. Way way up at the top. It was infuriating.

Woorloog

Banned
Some people found a way to camp near the top of the TIE hanger on sorrusoub? complex. In the rocks to the left of the hangar opening. Way way up at the top. It was infuriating.

Oh, that.

What is more infuriating are teammates who are so blind they don't realize there's people up there!

Seriously. Blind teammates are the most annoying thing in any game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom