• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars Battlefront |OT| Here's Where The Fun Begins

Status
Not open for further replies.

Makoto

More objective-based shooters should just follow the TF2 route and remove KDR from the scoreboards (while only letting the player see their own extended stats) and just stick to cumulative points or points based solely on the objective type.

deoee

I like the 5shot burst pistol. It's pretty damn sweet,especially with explosive shot.

But in general just the feel of the game has clicked for me.
How to use radar and stay off of it yourself. How to abuse third person to look around corners and ambush. How to throw grenades, how to defend points etc...

Hell,today I took a Luke down from 100 health to 17 by myself just with nades, explosive shots and my jetpack usage. Sure,he was a bad Luke, but still!

Game just clicked with me now. I got my "Battlefront Instincts" basically and instincts are worth a lot in a game.
Played for 16 hours now.

Yeah, I had the same feeling when I finally got the Jetpack and unlocked some of the later blasters.
The game still has issues like the fucking OP guns and spawns but DAMN. When you start it up and have a few decent runs it's so much fun :D

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Lunch time on a Sunday. Cannot find a single near full/playable match.

Fuck this game.

Beepos

Lunch time on a Sunday. Cannot find a single near full/playable match.

Fuck this game.

That is strange... that was one of my biggest fears being an Aussie and getting this a game without server browsers.

TDM is fine for Blop 3 every hour of the day.. I hope it doesn't become harder to find matches.

Ferrio

Banned
I single handedly shut down like 6 uplinks in a WA game yesterday (personal shield+jetpack). We still lost the game by a landslide, at least I got the highest objective score.

Wish I had captured one of the shutdowns since it was pretty bad ass. I had just picked up a thermal, threw it off a cliff to the uplink. Then I jet packed off the cliff to the uplink as the thermal exploded below me killing several guys. Then I landed right at the uplink, popped my personal shield and shut it down while people far away uselessly shot at me.

moai

That is strange... that was one of my biggest fears being an Aussie and getting this a game without server browsers.

TDM is fine for Blop 3 every hour of the day.. I hope it doesn't become harder to find matches.

Im having some trouble finding games on less popular modes on brazilian (southamerican servers) at certain hours. I hope dice unlocks the region ip filter down the road, otherwise some modes will die very quickly in smaller markets that are not us or europe.

Klyka

Banned
I have now found that having a hand with personal shield and jetpack can be the deciding factor for taking a point/uplink/droid/whatever.

The shield allows you to tank a lot of damage and just go straight for the objective.

Quite nice.

I saw one guy get 65 kills and like 2 deaths. How is that even possible on a supremacy map?

it's not very hard surprisingly, me and a buddy held down the central mountain with EE-13's on Hoth supremacy and I ended up with 70/1 and him with 40/3. I ended up grabbing Boba Fett in the final minutes which definitely bumped the score up some more. it's totally achievable without abusing turrets or vehicles, just gotta keep your head down.

Just got sniped by a bunch of dudes camping on the Jawa sandcrawler. Didn't even know you could do that. Actually smiled and said "well played, you fuckers" to my television like a dumb idiot.

I love this game.

Dubz

Don't understand the homing missle hate. They are super easy to get away from. Just get behind some cover, and you're good.

The real pain in the ass is the fucking personal shield.

MADGAME

Is it a tradition of Dice to spawn you into a game you have no chance of winning? Every game, every time. Game almost over with zero chance of winning. Quality programming.

Tubie

Is it a tradition of Dice to spawn you into a game you have no chance of winning? Every game, every time. Game almost over with zero chance of winning. Quality programming.

Happened a lot in BF4 yea.

At least that game has server browser so you could enter games that were like 90% full and that usually meant you entered games that were just starting or about to start.

MastAndo

I'm hardly a good player (proud of my 1.05 K/D at the moment), and I'm surprised to see so many complaints about the game being unfair, or the DL-44 being easy mode. It has short range, and perhaps it's my play style, but I think there are better options...namely, the SE14C. As someone said earlier, I believe things are "clicking" with me as well since switching to that weapon.

I play mostly Blast and I honestly don't see "scrubs" just running around with this overpowered gun destroying everything. Good players are going to figure out how to kill you with basically any weapon and not be killed in any game. Even the homing missile, which I admittedly use, is far from an auto kill on anyone who knows what they're doing.

There are ways to counter everything. If homing missiles are your bane, aside from learning to use cover (something all good players do well), use Bodyguard. You'll survive a direct hit. If the DL-44 is killing you constantly, maybe use Scout and a weapon with range to get the jump on/flank opponents, rather than allowing them to get in your face, which is where the DL-44 thrives.

Not to say I don't get frustrated playing this, but it's more feeling a step slow in my old age compared to these young whippersnappers. I have access to them same weapons they do, so not sure what's unfair about getting outplayed by a player using weapons that I have every option to use as well.

Hikami

Got to Rank 40, I'm at 38 hours of playtime. Got all excited that I could finally unlock the Scout Trooper armor and then I see.. 17,000 credits required. God damn, that's gonna take a while to get..

MBison

Got to Rank 40, I'm at 38 hours of playtime. Got all excited that I could finally unlock the Scout Trooper armor and then I see.. 17,000 credits required. God damn, that's gonna take a while to get..

Hehe I'm level 34 and already saving up 34k for my scout and my alien head rebel :)

MADGAME

Happened a lot in BF4 yea.

At least that game has server browser so you could enter games that were like 90% full and that usually meant you entered games that were just starting or about to start.

I see. I think like KDR in this game, I need to not care about the W/L ratio.

Dr Prob

Banned
I agree that they should bump up the points earned for playing objectives (in Cargo I'll usually get "most cargo delivered" and "highest objective score," yet rarely end up with anything close to the highest overall score despite often seemingly being one of the few people interested in capturing/defending as opposed to throwing grenades back and forth in the middle areas) just because it makes sense. But I doubt doing that or getting rid of visible k/d would actually do much to change people's playstyles. Just to stay with fairly recent DICE games for comparison: 1943 only showed kills/score, the console version of BC2 showed only score with k/d strictly being visible to yourself in the objective modes, but barely anyone PTFOd in those games either. It just is what is, people don't want to die. In order to really affect change, the scoring model would have to be so drastically different that the upside wouldn't be worth it vs the sanity of the poor souls tasked with reading twitter/the official forums. But they should bump it up a bit, cuz I'd like to buy a new emote.

Had a weird experience playing HvV earlier. The person playing as Luke had their normal rebel soldier model, so they just looked like a regular soldier running around with a lightsaber and doing Luke's moves. Killing him counted as killing Luke and I can verify that multiple people in the game noticed this was happening as well.

MBison

Had a weird experience playing HvV earlier. The person playing as Luke had their normal rebel soldier model, so they just looked like a regular soldier running around with a lightsaber and doing Luke's moves. Killing him counted as killing Luke and I can verify that multiple people in the game noticed this was happening as well.

Never seen that but one time in Hero hunt we were all rebels vs an imperial hero and for some reason someone spawned as a normal stormtrooper.

Tubie

I agree that they should bump up the points earned for playing objectives (in Cargo I'll usually get "most cargo delivered" and "highest objective score," yet rarely end up with anything close to the highest overall score despite often seemingly being one of the few people interested in capturing/defending as opposed to throwing grenades back and forth in the middle areas) just because it makes sense. But I doubt doing that or getting rid of visible k/d would actually do much to change people's playstyles. Just to stay with fairly recent DICE games for comparison: 1943 only showed kills/score, the console version of BC2 showed only score with k/d strictly being visible to yourself in the objective modes, but barely anyone PTFOd in those games either. It just is what is, people don't want to die. In order to really affect change, the scoring model would have to be so drastically different that the upside wouldn't be worth it vs the sanity of the poor souls tasked with reading twitter/the official forums. But they should bump it up a bit, cuz I'd like to buy a new emote.

It's very weird, if you PTFO in this game you will die a lot more and the objective points you get are a god damn joke. In BF4 you get 400 for capping a single flag.

Supremacy should be 500-1000 points for everyone that was near the control point for each capture/defense.

I sometimes find myself being part of the problem just because I want to get to the higher ranks faster so I don't feel I'm at a disadvantage against people that have all of the unlocks already.

Durden77

So do people actually use and like guns other than the standard blasters? Doesn't seem like much reason to to me.

I just got done using the shock blaster shotgun for a challenge and holy shit was it annoying. It's more like a slug shotgun, you have to be accurate with it, which means E-11 spray fire will beat it often if you miss one shot at close range, which I would often. Crazy considering how E-11 doesn't require much accuracy at all even at a distance.

And the LMG tyoe blaster kicked like a mule for me. Game really hasn't given me any reason to stray from the E-11.

MiguelItUp

I see. I think like KDR in this game, I need to not care about the W/L ratio.
Pretty much. If it's a mode that focuses on K/D that's one thing, which is typically just TDM. But if it's anything else, I generally ignore both K/D and W/L. I'm playing to have fun, I can't carry a whole team. But if we win, awesome! If we lose, well, then maybe next time! :)

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Pretty much. If it's a mode that focuses on K/D that's one thing, which is typically just TDM. But if it's anything else, I generally ignore both K/D and W/L. I'm playing to have fun, I can't carry a whole team. But if we win, awesome! If we lose, well, then maybe next time! :)

Agreed!

vypek

I hate that the orbital strike doesnt give me a map view. Sometimes positioning myself to use it really sucks and is am easy death

B-Dex

So do people actually use and like guns other than the standard blasters? Doesn't seem like much reason to to me.

I just got done using the shock blaster shotgun for a challenge and holy shit was it annoying. It's more like a slug shotgun, you have to be accurate with it, which means E-11 spray fire will beat it often if you miss one shot at close range, which I would often. Crazy considering how E-11 doesn't require much accuracy at all even at a distance.

And the LMG tyoe blaster kicked like a mule for me. Game really hasn't given me any reason to stray from the E-11.

SE14C is amazing for a pistol. I like the EE-3 for rifles. And my go to heavy is the RT90S or whatever.

There's just too many issues with this game I think. We could see numbers drop soon.

Honest question. Sounds like Disney infinity 3.0 would be the better game to get for me and my kids this Xmas??

Want to have a star wars Xmas but I am just not really feeling battlefront. Past the initial wow factor of graphics and sound it has no soul or feeling to me. I dunno. Maybe it's the lack of campaign :/

I've been playing Walker Assault almost exclusively since the game came out, but tonight I decided to hop into a few games of Supremacy. What on earth was Dice thinking about the spawns in this mode? I was playing as a Rebel and we captured the forth control point. After that, we spawned exclusively in a base with TWO exits. No enemy could get in to capture our control point and no teammate could get out to capture the last control point. It became a game of attrition until the match ended.

PBalfredo

How does anyone actually make strafing runs with air vehicles? I'd like to help out my team but damn if I can't ever spot anything smaller than an AT-ST from the air.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Remember the beta days when the Rebels didn't have a chance in Walker Assault. That really was a thing.

I feel my biggest point of frustration with this game (beyond networking/matchmaking) is this; the general incoherence and incompetence of a match and DICE's struggle to balance said match accordingly.

Both sides are, in the grand scheme of things, pretty well equipped to do good (sans Endor's moon for Empire). Unfortunately I see a lot of foolishness from players on both sides, failing to take advantage of gear and pick-ups and sensible tactics. Rebels often outright ignore capturing posts in favour of playing TMD, and once the AT-ATs become open I see so many dish laser things left totally unused when they're by far the most effective means of dealing damage. And on the Empire's side I see air and ground with lock on rockets, and the AT-ST ignoring Y-Wing sweeps. Couple of games ago the Rebels had seven or so Y-Wings lined up, and during the sweep I had my AT-ST positioned perfectly in that I could unleash laser death on Y-Wings as they followed a predictable trajectory and blow them up before they could drop the bombs. They're made of pudding.

I can imagine it's difficult balancing a game full of players, trying to easily lead in objectives and game systems so people learn how to play, while also accounting for those who cannot or refuse to play to objectives. It's one area Battlefield does very well, if just due to the passive simplicity of capturing points, and where Battlefront falters.

Zomba13

How does anyone actually make strafing runs with air vehicles? I'd like to help out my team but damn if I can't ever spot anything smaller than an AT-ST from the air.

Whenever I'm in a ship and not fighting enemy ships or AT-STs then I just end up blind firing where I think there might be people. I just can't see troops 90% of the time.

EatChildren

PC Australia.

From what I can gather there's fuck all locally hosted servers for each mode, so 90% of the time the only match it can find is in a server hosted somewhere giving me 170+ms ping. If I'm really lucky I'll land in a local 35 - 50ms server, and in play it feels night and day to me. Worst though is when it can't find anything :(. Usually a few refreshed will land me in something, I assume someone dropping out of a server, but yeah.

Server browser would at least offer some transparency, and let me find active, local modes. This is just pissing in the wind.

Ozorov

PC Australia.

From what I can gather there's fuck all locally hosted servers for each mode, so 90% of the time the only match it can find is in a server hosted somewhere giving me 170+ms ping. If I'm really lucky I'll land in a local 35 - 50ms server, and in play it feels night and day to me. Worst though is when it can't find anything :(. Usually a few refreshed will land me in something, I assume someone dropping out of a server, but yeah.

Server browser would at least offer some transparency, and let me find active, local modes. This is just pissing in the wind.

Yeah it's a weird decision to not have server browser, atleast on PC. Haven't played BF4 in ages but If I remember correctly BF4 had server browser on both PC and consoles right?

MDave

I feel my biggest point of frustration with this game (beyond networking/matchmaking) is this; the general incoherence and incompetence of a match and DICE's struggle to balance said match accordingly.

Both sides are, in the grand scheme of things, pretty well equipped to do good (sans Endor's moon for Empire). Unfortunately I see a lot of foolishness from players on both sides, failing to take advantage of gear and pick-ups and sensible tactics. Rebels often outright ignore capturing posts in favour of playing TMD, and once the AT-ATs become open I see so many dish laser things left totally unused when they're by far the most effective means of dealing damage. And on the Empire's side I see air and ground with lock on rockets, and the AT-ST ignoring Y-Wing sweeps. Couple of games ago the Rebels had seven or so Y-Wings lined up, and during the sweep I had my AT-ST positioned perfectly in that I could unleash laser death on Y-Wings as they followed a predictable trajectory and blow them up before they could drop the bombs. They're made of pudding.

I can imagine it's difficult balancing a game full of players, trying to easily lead in objectives and game systems so people learn how to play, while also accounting for those who cannot or refuse to play to objectives. It's one area Battlefield does very well, if just due to the passive simplicity of capturing points, and where Battlefront falters.

This is an excellent point made. DICE, listen to this man!

Put less emphasis on kills / deaths at the end and more on the points earned for helping complete objectives. This helps create a better 'feel good' about focusing on objectives instead of the 'feel good' I killed the most, died the least using any means necessary even if it impacts the objectives in a negative way.

Ozorov

This is an excellent point made. DICE, listen to this man!

Put less emphasis on kills / deaths at the end and more on the points earned for helping complete objectives. This helps create a better 'feel good' about focusing on objectives instead of the 'feel good' I killed the most, died the least using any means necessary even if it impacts the objectives in a negative way.

They should also tweak droid run to get points for each 30 s or so that you're holding a droid. Now you can have 2/3 droids for 95% of the match then they take it from you the last seconds and win the game. That's not fair :(. Same with Hero hunt, the final shot should not be deciding who gets to be the hero.

EatChildren

Also, I think the current card system, as in having "hands", is fucking stupid given from the loadout screen you can't set up a new hand. Maybe if you hit "reset" and essentially rejoin the match? It's a weird barrier. I understand having hands, but you should be able to easily change what your hands contain on the load-out screen after each match. There's no sense not having this, particularly when after a death I may wish to use equipment that I haven't currently placed in my primary or secondary hand.

Yeah it's a weird decision to not have server browser, atleast on PC. Haven't played BF4 in ages but If I remember correctly BF4 had server browser on both PC and consoles right?

Can't speak for consoles, but yeah, BF4 uses server browsers on PC via your web browser. Everyone, myself included, hated it at first. But I've come to like it, as it's a really easy, snappy way to find matches.

Unless there's a guarantee of tons of local servers to equal matchmaking demand, every multiplayer game needs a server browser. 170ms pings are sucking the life out of this game for me.

Ozorov

Also, I think the current card system, as in having "hands", is fucking stupid given from the loadout screen you can't set up a new hand. Maybe if you hit "reset" and essentially rejoin the match? It's a weird barrier. I understand having hands, but you should be able to easily change what your hands contain on the load-out screen after each match. There's no sense not having this, particularly when after a death I may wish to use equipment that I haven't currently placed in my primary or secondary hand.

Can't speak for consoles, but yeah, BF4 uses server browsers on PC via your web browser. Everyone, myself included, hated it at first. But I've come to like it, as it's a really easy, snappy way to find matches.

Unless there's a guarantee of tons of local servers to equal matchmaking demand, every multiplayer game needs a server browser. 170ms pings are sucking the life out of this game for me.

Okey. I agree with you on the "hands"-stuff, you should be available to change your cards within a match. And not just between two hands. I'm playing on PS4(EU) and luckily I've had zero lag issues so far.

I wonder if we will get a patch with Jakku on tuesday.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom