• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars Battlefront |OT| Here's Where The Fun Begins

Status
Not open for further replies.
Love this game! Was defending an uplink point on Endor and set up an auto turret right above it and racked up 10 kills altogether in 2 minutes. One of them was Vader! So good.

JDHarbs

I was having a blast with the game during the beta and around launch when everyone was just using standard blasters and thermal detonators, but now everyone has Jump packs and Sniper Rifles and more powerful blasters so it's starting to feel like nobody is on an even playing field anymore.

I was having a blast with the game during the beta and around launch when everyone was just using standard blasters and thermal detonators, but now everyone has Jump packs and Sniper Rifles and more powerful blasters so it's starting to feel like nobody is on an even playing field anymore.
Lol what beta were you playing? Jetpacking snipers with blaster proof shields ran even more rampant during the beta.

Klyka

Banned
So do the Imperials ever win a Walker Assault match on Endor?

The only way to do so is by them pushing as hard as possible into the rebels to keep them from shooting the walker.

But if the rebels use all the anti vehicle turrets and all have ion torpedoes and shoot the walker?

No, then Imperials can't win.

So I get annoyed at the grenade spamming and jet packs.... So am changing my game plan to maintain distance with the enemy.

I've unlocked the T21, but don't know whether to just wait to change the gameplay until I get the T21-B.

Has anyone used both? Are they just as good as each other long range?

Thanks

Klyka

Banned
So I get annoyed at the grenade spamming and jet packs.... So am changing my game plan to maintain distance with the enemy.

I've unlocked the T21, but don't know whether to just wait to change the gameplay until I get the T21-B.

Thanks

I personally am entirely useless with any weapon at long range in this game because of the laser travel time. I can not hit anything and nothing stands still long enough.

So personally,I had no success with the T21 at all.

5taquitos

Thanks

The T21-B puts out slightly less damage than the standard T21. Bother require you to lead your shots pretty dramatically at range, as the bolts are slow.

Dr Prob

Banned

Occasionally. The Rebels certainly have it easy there, though the Empire can make a game of it. Trouble is, the Imperial assault often looks like this:

SR91w95.jpg

Instead of something more like this:

ta3motV.jpg

100% accurate maps. Attention to detail is remarkable really.

Liberty4all

Banned
The T21-B puts out slightly less damage than the standard T21. Bother require you to lead your shots pretty dramatically at range, as the bolts are slow.

I much prefer the T-21 myself
.. Better at close range imho and you can still get long range once you get good at shooting without scope assistance. T-21 is my go to gun currently.

So, today I was playing and all I got was frustration. I was using the DL-44 and shot the dudes MANY FUCKING TIMES and they would just turn around and kill me. Then in another match I got behind some imperial dude and melee'd him. Nothing. Melee'd him again. Nothing. He turns around and knocks me down. I die. His health: 51. WHAT IN THE FLYING FUCK IS THIS SHIT

MGrant

Endor's a fucking mess on Walker Assault. I've won one game as the Imperials on it, a total steamroll where we held the rebels to 2 or less Y-Wings per phase and they STILL almost won it in the end. If the rebels get 3 or more Y-Wings in each phase, there's no way they can lose. Couple that with the fact that it's impossible to shoot down Y-Wings on this map, and the strength of Ion Torpedos, Smart Rockets, Thermal Imploders, Orbital Strikes, and Ion Shot vs the AT-AT, and it's just no fun.

WillyFive

So, today I was playing and all I got was frustration. I was using the DL-44 and shot the dudes MANY FUCKING TIMES and they would just turn around and kill me. Then in another match I got behind some imperial dude and melee'd him. Nothing. Melee'd him again. Nothing. He turns around and knocks me down. I die. His health: 51. WHAT IN THE FLYING FUCK IS THIS SHIT

That's just like me while playing BF4.

Occasionally. The Rebels certainly have it easy there, though the Empire can make a game of it. Trouble is, the Imperial assault often looks like this:

SR91w95.jpg

ta3motV.jpg

Haha

Very accurate

It's happened once for me.

Walker Assault is just so bad right now. As much as I want to love it, I can't stand it. It's way too unbalanced right now, especially on Endor and Sullust. Sullust is the reverse of Endor where the Rebels never win. The Imperials have such an advantage on this map starting uphill and charging downwards.

deoee

SR91w95.jpg

ta3motV.jpg

Your forgot the few doods standing on top of the ATAT for the entire match!

B-Dex

How is the Cycler Rifle? I don't want to spend the credits right now if it's poo. I don't think I have ever been killed by one yet.

Total hot garbage. I got one kill with it to unlock a diorama figurine for using all weapons and star cards and never touched it again. Dreading the 10 headshot trophy grind.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
So this is my first FPS since Timesplitters 2.

I play about 5 games of Blast, getting destroyed each time. Every time I encounter an enemy, I can't hit them and I get picked off. Just terrible performance. I keep ending up with 0 kills and like 12 deaths every game.

As I play my next game, I finally realize that the L-trigger is an aim focus.

Sigh.

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual

I play about 5 games of Blast, getting destroyed each time. Every time I encounter an enemy, I can't hit them and I get picked off. Just terrible performance. I keep ending up with 0 kills and like 12 deaths every game.

Sigh.
Keep playing, you will start getting more accurate and faster - I was shocking at this one to start with, online FPS stuff isn't my strong point. But I'm slowly improving and not feeling like a dead weight to my team.

Klyka

Banned

Sigh.

The aim does nothing except zoom in btw and slow you down with anything that is not a pistol.

Just play in third person and shoot men

k4n3

Banned
all i can say is the DLC better be amazing or this game will be dead in a few months, at least thats one good thing about BF4 it had a rough launch but the servers are always packed

its ironic all the hate this game was getting before launch "its just going to be battlefield with a starwars skin to bad that wasn't true or it would be amazing :(

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
The aim does nothing except zoom in btw and slow you down with anything that is not a pistol.

Just play in third person and shoot men

Except once I knew it existed, I went on an 8-kill streak. It clearly affects gameplay.

Klyka

Banned
Except once I knew it existed, I went on an 8-kill streak. It clearly affects gameplay.

It really doesn't.
It has zero effect on accuracy or anything, apart from movement speed when not using a pistol.

Also, third person is the way to go, except indoors.

pompidu

Man half these guns are useless, and jetpack being locked away is dumb. Ranking up is dumb in this game, good shit is always at yhe end.

Hikami

Man when you get in a long and even Supremacy match it is incredibly fun. They just need to get the balance right.

I love it when there's two competent teams actually going for the objective in Supremacy. Everyone's always battling for the middle control point so the match goes on forever since 1 minute keeps getting added for every capture. It's all over once someone gets a hero pick up though, they just sit in the control point and run the clock out.

Does everyone think Fighter Squadron is the best game mode by a country mile, or is it just me? It's hard for me to play any other mode because I just keep thinking "this is nice, but I could be playing Fighter Squadron right now."

Plinko

Does everyone think Fighter Squadron is the best game mode by a country mile, or is it just me? It's hard for me to play any other mode because I just keep thinking "this is nice, but I could be playing Fighter Squadron right now."

Same here. It blows everything else away.

Mattdaddy

Gold Member
More than anything this game makes me want another rogue squadron. Flying an x-wing or a-wing and dogfighting or strafing infantry is a boner maker

jackdoe

Just got a chance to play as the Millennium Falcon in Fighter Squadron. It was like cheating. A super fast, super powerful hero unit with shields. I don't understand how Dice thought it was a good idea during internal play tests.

More than anything this game makes me want another rogue squadron. Flying an x-wing or a-wing and dogfighting or strafing infantry is a boner maker
What I really want is an X-Wing/TIE Fighter successor. Give us a fully developed SP campaign utilising what they've already built for Fighter Squadron, just with slightly more developed mechanics.

I want that so, so badly. Hopefully the Battlefront telemetry is telling them that people adore the Fighter Squadron mode and are playing the shit out of it. That might give them a compelling business case to greenlight a proper X-Wing/TIE Fighter game. If you're looking to get a good return on your investment in the Star Wars licence then surely that sort of game is a no-brainer, especially when you have a head start on the engine and assets.

Apeboy

What I really want is an X-Wing/TIE Fighter successor. Give us a fully developed SP campaign utilising what they've already built for Fighter Squadron, just with slightly more developed mechanics.

I want that so, so badly. Hopefully the Battlefront telemetry is telling them that people adore the Fighter Squadron mode and are playing the shit out of it. That might give them a compelling business case to greenlight a proper X-Wing/TIE Fighter game. If you're looking to get a good return on your investment in the Star Wars licence then surely that sort of game is a no-brainer, especially when you have a head start on the engine and assets.

If they would devote one dlc to space combat I would be stoked. Right now fighter squadron is just too simplistic, even if it was balanced.

Jito

Banned
So what's the deal with the Battle of Jakku DLC? I pre ordered on PSN, does that mean I get it on the 1st or is it just for people pre ordering through other retailers?

If it wasn't for the Hero ships and the massive disadvantages the Empire has, then yeah it would be good.

Yopis

Once I saw certain evasive moves mapped to dpad....no I don't really like it.

Just got a chance to play as the Millennium Falcon in Fighter Squadron. It was like cheating. A super fast, super powerful hero unit with shields. I don't understand how Dice thought it was a good idea during internal play tests.

You're basically invincible in those things if you're a competent pilot. I mean you can literally crash your way through enemy ships (except the other hero ship) and be fine.

Its fun but very limited. Needs more ships, and the hero ships really ruin it. More game modes would be good too

MrDaravon

So got on tonight for the first time tonight since day 3/4 or so. I've very loosely been keeping up thread. Goddamn you guys weren't kidding, this thing is an absolute fucking trainwreck. The last few hours I played in Supremacy/Walker Assault have probably been the worst competitive multiplayer experience I have had in the last several years.

-Homing Shot is fucking broken, especially on certain maps and areas. I see people trying to argue against this and I have no idea how. The range on it is ridiculous, the tracking on it is hilarious, and it usually one-shots.

-Impact Grenade/Barrage is fucking ridiculous.

-DL-44 is ridiculous and is what kills me 90%+ of the time (for blaster deaths at least).

-Spawns on Supremacy are probably the worst spawn trap setups I have ever seen in a FPS/TPS in my entire fucking life. It's goddamn unreal. It's so incredibly easy to set up traps where you just completely get instakilled, which is only made worse by Homing Shot and grenades/barrage. I once got killed by 3 different Homing Shots in a ~10 second window.

-Endor on WA for the Empire is hilariously lopsided right now. The best I saw was the Empire getting 1 Walker with about 30% health to the second phase. It puts the Rebels on Hoth in the beta to shame. Speaking of that, Hoth is definietely in the Rebels favor now; it's not super ultra broken like Endor or like it was for the Empire in the beta, but it could use a little bit of adjustment. I saw the Empire win once but it was fairly close, every other match I saw was largely a blow-up in the Rebels favor. The other two maps seem relatively even, I think still in the Rebels favor but not by a huge amount, I'd need to play those more to see (I mostly just kept getting Hoth/Endor).

-They have to start implementing team re-balancing. Obviously you don't want to split friend parties, but in the 20v20 modes most games are usually a total blowout, and it never re-balances so it usually continues on that way for several games. Oh and if you quit it's going to put you until another match that has room...and usually the losing team is the one that has room because people are quitting, so the cycle continues. It's a tricky problem though since if you switch teams you might play the same faction you just played, even though it's on a different map, but they need to do something with their matchmaking, even if it's just splitting lobbies off altogether.

-The credits cost to re-roll Challenges is way way too high, I don't really understand this. I think I'm missing something here?

I don't even give a shit about the complaints on how the game is shallow, lacks depth or has no maps. None of that is fucking relevant in the slightest right now the game balance and spawns are fundamentally broken on the 20v20 modes which is mostly what I care about (YMMV of course). I don't understand how anyone short of the usual same top 3 people on the winning team are having any fun with this game. Tonight I went out with my wife and bought 2 Star Wars prints for our living room and spent an hour working on a Star Wars jigsaw puzzle. I am the target audience for this game so hard it hurts, and right now all I want to is break my disc. Any awesomeness that I got from rolling with 5 other stormtroopers behind Darth Vader was immediately killed by a Rebel suicide bombing us and killing all of us but Vader. I don't even see from a "Casual" player perspective how this is fun; at a certain point going 2-21 is going to outweigh anything else it has going for it. I had a 2.56 K/D starting the game up tonight, right now it's 1.16 after only a few hours of play, I went positive once all night. I'm going to stick with it a bit longer though since it's kind of hard to say how much of that is me not having all of the upgrades and weapons and whatnot most players seem to have at this point, but when the playing field was even the first few days none of this was an issue lol.

I'm going to give this a bit longer and try Blast out again, but if there is not a significant balancing patch hitting with the next week or two, or at least extremely concrete updates on balancing with a very near-term implementation I'm out. Every single one of my friends except for one has already returned/sold the game (I abandoned them to play Fallout 4 >_>). This is easily my disappointment of the year so far.

Apeboy

I'm going to give this a bit longer and try Blast out again, but if there is not a significant balancing patch hitting with the next week or two, or at least extremely concrete updates on balancing with a very near-term implementation I'm out. Every single one of my friends except for one has already returned/sold the game (I abandoned them to play Fallout 4 >_>). This is easily my disappointment of the year so far.

yup.

The stuff they allowed out into the wild just screams complacency. They just don't give a shit. They tweaked a few things from beta complaints and called it a day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom