• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars Battlefront |OT| Here's Where The Fun Begins

Status
Not open for further replies.

Klyka

Banned
I always read the DLC title as "The battle of Jakko"

e2ec1c33ce59aa8830d58edd7318be4d.jpg

jeemer

Still enjoying this after hitting 50, albeit in shorter bursts. Got my scout trooper, shadowtrooper, sullustan and quarren customizations and i'm good with that. Did most of my leveling in fighter squadron which is stupid easy to make credits/xp with. Fwiw I've had incredibly few matches with noticeable lag, or issues waiting for a match - eu pc.

I'm running an ee-3, jump pack, scan pulse and barrage. My second hand is anti vehicle - ion grenade, ion shot and ion torpedo. As far as emotes I'm going with the robot, ion shock, and my lowkey favourite - the super camp one where you put your hand on your hip and say "not this time!"

I didn't like han at first until I realised how good his lucky shot is, one shotting TIEs is addictive as hell.

Klyka

Banned
So can we agree that Darth Vader doesn't really fill a role in this?

If you are on an open map like Hoth,Sullust or Tattooine, you take Boba Fett for the outside control points and the Emperor for the inside Control Points.

If you are on Endor, you take Boba Fett cause of the Jetpack.

I don't see any time that I'd rather have Vader than the Emperor or Boba.

JimiNutz

Banned
I mainly use the E-11 or DL-44 but would like to start using the EE-3.
Only problem is I suck with it.

Any tips? Do you always need to land headshots? I find myself getting outgunned one on one with it and stand no chance against a group of enemies (unlike the DL-44 where you can win three on one if you're fast enough).

jeemer

Any tips? Do you always need to land headshots? I find myself getting outgunned one on one with it and stand no chance against a group of enemies (unlike the DL-44 where you can win three on one if you're fast enough).

Headshots are always good. It took me a good couple of hours to get into the ee-3 properly (gave up at first then got killed by it a number of times and gave it another shot, it's now my favourite) Leading your target a little helps, and aiming a little higher than you think you need to seems to help with the ee-3. You can also pull the trigger on it pretty quickly although it does overheat fast (7 shot bursts take you to the verge of overheating and are what i use for at-ats)

If you are on an open map like Hoth,Sullust or Tattooine, you take Boba Fett for the outside control points and the Emperor for the inside Control Points.

Plus he barely even sounds like Vader. At least Temuera Morrison and Sam Witwer voiced Fett and Palpatine.

It is always fun to march around as Darth Vader though.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.

Yeah, Vader is ass. In HvV I actually feel like he's a liability that we need to protect, lol. In actual combat Leia just demolishes him with that stunlock.

I usually snap pick Boba but Emperor can definitely be good to hold down a point and have troopers spawn off you. Though Rebel side I typically always go for Leia, I feel Luke is also their weakest but he atleast has get away moves and a higher speed to make up for his lack of relative range. Vader is just way too slow for the kit he has.

JimiNutz

Banned
Headshots are always good. It took me a good couple of hours to get into the ee-3 properly (gave up at first then got killed by it a number of times and gave it another shot, it's now my favourite) Leading your target a little helps, and aiming a little higher than you think you need to seems to help with the ee-3. You can also pull the trigger on it pretty quickly although it does overheat fast (7 shot bursts take you to the verge of overheating and are what i use for at-ats)

Thanks.
Maybe I'll give it another go soon - especially if they nerf the DL-44.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Endor is a really pretty terrible map layout for Empire on both Walker Assault and Supremacy. Like...legitimately dumb. The second closest capture point to the Empire spawn is a series of corridor chokepoints. And Walker Assault goes without saying.

It's gorgeous, but yeah. It's a dud.

Chuckie

You target a enemy with L2 and use the left stick to change you speed. Otherwise I don't know really :D.

I don't think I have ever used L2 hahaha. This might be the key to why I suck so much haha. Thanks!

Here's a tip that has helped me demolish anything,and I was terrible at Fighter Sqaudron.

Speed into battle, and then reduce your speed to the lowest available speed when your in the thick of things.

This means that your damage is now the highest it can be.

Enjoy many kills.

Thank you too

PC Australia.

From what I can gather there's fuck all locally hosted servers for each mode, so 90% of the time the only match it can find is in a server hosted somewhere giving me 170+ms ping. If I'm really lucky I'll land in a local 35 - 50ms server, and in play it feels night and day to me. Worst though is when it can't find anything :(. Usually a few refreshed will land me in something, I assume someone dropping out of a server, but yeah.

Server browser would at least offer some transparency, and let me find active, local modes. This is just pissing in the wind.
I hear you, played the beta and loved it, had no ping issues. Get the game and can't find a single AU server, feeling ripped off right now.

This is exactly like MW2 on 360 back in the day, matchmaking didn't prioritize ping so we spent nearly a year connecting to 1-2 bar US servers. Eventually they flicked the switch and made it search for ping first and the issue was gone, astoundingly stupid.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I hear you, played the beta and loved it, had no ping issues. Get the game and can't find a single AU server, feeling ripped off right now.

This is exactly like MW2 on 360 back in the day, matchmaking didn't prioritize ping so we spent nearly a year connecting to 1-2 bar US servers. Eventually they flicked the switch and made it search for ping first and the issue was gone, astoundingly stupid.

Yep. In all honesty if somebody local asked me if they should buy it on PC I'd deter them from doing so, explaining why and whether or not latency is an issue for them. Last night I landed in a 40ms ping game of Walker Assault, and today the same for Supremacy. It really is 100% night and day. Hit opponents and their health bar display depletes immediately, no delay. The amount of games I've played with 170ms ping has, funnily enough, busted my long range game as I no longer need to accommodate for bullshit hitbox lag.

MDave

lol content starved so tell me how is it content starved?

4 maps for the main attraction modes. Once you have played 4 rounds of each mode that's it. It can get repetitive quick. The smaller modes are typical deathmatch, capture the flag, king of hill type modes also limited to 4 maps each. Jakku is going to up the map count to 5 at least the 2 big modes, woopee!

4 maps for the main attraction modes. Once you have played 4 rounds of each mode that's it. It can get repetitive quick. The smaller modes are typical deathmatch, capture the flag, king of hill type modes also limited to 4 maps each. Jakku is going to up the map count to 5 at least the 2 big modes, woopee!

More content does not equal more fun. You know this. I know you do.

The simplicity and spectacle of SW is enough for a lot of people.

I myself have it 75 hours, and I have barely touched any of mission.

Inside

Do you think we will get some new weapons or star cards with Jakku?

If we dont get Star Cards / new weapons with the Battle of Jakku DLC, we will definitely get some for free at a later point

The DLC will come with two new maps on Jakku, showcasing the warfare that leads to the planet’s state in The Force Awakens. One, the Graveyard of Giants, will be a large-scale map suited to modes like Walker Assault.

The DLC will also introduce a new gameplay mode called Turning Point, in which the Rebels must capture one of three Imperial control points, and if they are successful, more control points will become available to control until the Rebels can eventually make a move for domination of the Imperial base.

The Jakku DLC is in addition to the four downloadable content packs promised to be coming with the game’s $50 season pass. But the Battle of Jakku will not be the only free DLC coming to the game. EA Studios’ Patrick Söderlund said in a post on the Battlefront official site that “We will be adding more of what you love about the game, like new maps and Star Cards, for free in the coming months, in addition to all of the content we have coming with Season Pass.”

MADGAME

The top/middle card should not require the use of charges. It should be on a cool down like the other two, but longer.

Inside the wreckage of a Star Destroyer

The Pulse Cannon is as fucking useless as the Cycler imo. I get what should be a perfectly good shot on someone and nothing

Are you fully charging it? (Keeping the trigger held until the reticle completely changes colour) Because it's very easy to get kills with the Pulse. Half of all my kills are with it.

Kingsora

Would rather have no penis than have to show his to a medical professional
Any chance we see or hear anything more today from Jakku DLC? And I mean something official by DICE

prag16

Banned
Damn, that Angry Joe thread. Yes, the game has limitations, but the hyperbole is out of control.
The Angry Joe defense force that pops up every time is always amusing to me, acting like he/they are being persecuted unfairly as soon as a small handful of posters state that they don't like his schtick,

Yep. In all honesty if somebody local asked me if they should buy it on PC I'd deter them from doing so, explaining why and whether or not latency is an issue for them. Last night I landed in a 40ms ping game of Walker Assault, and today the same for Supremacy. It really is 100% night and day. Hit opponents and their health bar display depletes immediately, no delay. The amount of games I've played with 170ms ping has, funnily enough, busted my long range game as I no longer need to accommodate for bullshit hitbox lag.
Maybe I'm blind, but where are you seeing ping displayed?

Yup. I still pick him, because well, it's Vader yo. They should just give him unlimited blocking, the only time he shines is when you get into a 1vs1 with Luke (and even then you can get stunlocked if you don't watch out). His special abilities also leave him wide open (especially choke), you should be able to animation cancel choke with blocking or something. He was a lot stronger in the beta, even with degrading health. You were a wall and true terror inside bases.

I checked out the official forums. I have no idea what's wrong with me, I am pretty much only playing Walker Assault and still having loads of fun. But if I am to believe the forums, I should be ashamed for liking this game.

Klyka

Banned
Damn, that Angry Joe thread. Yes, the game has limitations, but the hyperbole is out of control.
The Angry Joe defense force that pops up every time is always amusing to me, acting like he/they are being persecuted unfairly as soon as a small handful of posters state that they don't like his schtick,

Maybe I'm blind, but where are you seeing ping displayed?

console command "networkperfoverlay.enable true" shows you your ping.

Waldini

O ... the main problem with this game is it's lack of content. Could've used more maps. You'd think they would take full advantage of the things that could fit in the Star-Wars universe. I think DICE wanted to play it safe.

They announced that Battlefrond would take place during the OT. In the OT-movies we've only seen Hoth, Bespin, Tatooine, Death-Star, Endor, Yavin 4, Dagobah and that's about it. I'm pretty sure we'll get other maps/content soon.

Ozorov

O ... the main problem with this game is it's lack of content. Could've used more maps. You'd think they would take full advantage of the things that could fit in the Star-Wars universe. I think DICE wanted to play it safe.

They announced that Battlefrond would take place during the OT. In the OT-movies we've only seen Hoth, Bespin, Tatooine, Death-Star, Endor, Yavin 4, Dagobah and that's about it. I'm pretty sure we'll get other maps/content soon.

Like... tomorrow? :)

Chuckie

4 maps? In Blast you have (from the top of my head) Endor Forest, Endor Imperial Base, that Sulfur planet, the Shuttle Bay, Hoth Rebel base, Hoth caves, Tatooine with Jawa Sandcrawler, Tattooine with the huge transportship in the middle, Tatooine Mos Eisly.

That's 9 maps.

Klyka

Banned
4 maps? In Blast you have (from the top of my head) Endor Forest, Endor Imperial Base, that Sulfur planet, the Shuttle Bay, Hoth Rebel base, Hoth caves, Tatooine with Jawa Sandcrawler, Tattooine with the huge transportship in the middle, Tatooine Mos Eisly.

That's 9 maps.

He said "for the main attraction modes" right there bro

Blast, aka Team Deathmatch with 10vs10 is NOT the main attraction of Battlefront.

Chuckie

He said "for the main attraction modes" right there bro

Blast, aka Team Deathmatch with 10vs10 is NOT the main attraction of Battlefront.

It says this:

The smaller modes are typical deathmatch, capture the flag, king of hill type modes also limited to 4 maps each

It says also limited to 4 maps each right? Or am I misreading something?
Does 'King of the hill type mode' start a new sentence?

I recognize the games flaws. Would have loved more maps, some balancing tweaks and a single player campaign, but....

It is incredibly fun to turn my home theatre system on blast and rattle shit off the walls. When the wife and kid leave the house, this is my go to game because it benefits so much from a loud theatre system.

This is not the type of game I'll play for 6 hours straight, but I can see it playing the role Rocket League does. I play an extended session of whatever the new hotness is, i.e., Fallout 4, then palette cleanse with a round or two of this or Rocket League.

It's so damn pretty I can't get over it. How shallow am I?????

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Why do all multiplayer shooters have dumb unlock systems these days?

A trick to keep people playing with so much other shooter competition. A psychological "reward system", kind of like trophies and achievements, which is like a drip-fed/carrot dangle effect. Back in the day, the game's gameplay without unlocks warranted it's legs. Also developers like Epic Games would have great modding tools and free official map and skin content with patches as well, (even on the PS2 version of UT).

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
More content does not equal more fun. You know this. I know you do.

The simplicity and spectacle of SW is enough for a lot of people.

I myself have it 75 hours, and I have barely touched any of mission.

Same here. Games like BF4, etc only have 4 select maps people always want to play on.

Uncharted for example with map voting, I seen the same 3 maps over and over no matter how many there were. The gameplay kept me playing.

This has graphics, sound, immersion, performance, and solid gameplay. As more content trickles in, it will be better yes, but I am still enjoying the piss out of the game that I thought I was going to play casually, yet find myself ONLY playing this, while Until Dawn and ND Collection are still in their wrappers.

Kingsora

Would rather have no penis than have to show his to a medical professional
My timer is on 40 hours played and I am still having fun.

I haven't had this fun with a multiplayer game in years. It's so much more fun then the COD's and Battlefields released in that year. It's just amazing, more content would have been nice. But I don't think 13 maps is bad at all, 15 tommorow.

It just baffles me that literally everyone is hating on this game.... Maybe it just have a bad taste in multiplayer games?

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
The DL-44 gets a lot of bitching its way because people with the deluxe edition have instant access to it, but the real criminal of this game is the SE-14C with explosive shot, it will kill anyone at any range instantly, hell even without explosive shot the SE-14C is about as strong as the DL-44, honestly probably stronger because the DL-44 requires you to actually land your shots every time, since the SE-14C fires a 5 shot burst it can still do damage even with a less steady hand.

On top of that I've seen the thing one burst people at close range without explosive shot.

Honestly I would be willing to bet that most of the people who are over level 24 (which I think is the level required for barrage) are running Jump pack + Explosive shot + Barrage + SE14C, this seems to be the most popular load out right now.

I still have a lot of fun with the game but the more and more I play it the more obvious the flaws become. I think the lack of maps is which is the constant complaint isn't exactly right, maybe 1 or 2 more maps would have been better but for now I think it's fine, I still feel like I'm learning most of the maps anyways. I think the real issue lies with the fact that most star cards are just better than others and taking specialized star cards like the ion cannon make you feel like you're giving up something. Sure you can put it in your second hand but how often will you actually need a vehicle killer? Then when you do need it you spawn with it but you're either too far from the vehicle now or you die a few times trying to get there to help or it's already dead and now you're stuck with a less useful starcard until you die.

If all the cards felt like meaningful things to have on you it'd be better, also the fucking personal shield should be a power up and the group shield should be a star card.

JimiNutz

Banned
Started using DL-44, Jump Pack, Barrage and Scan Pulse yesterday - mostly on Blast and Drop Zone.
Saw huge improvements in my performance

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom