• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars Battlefront |OT| Here's Where The Fun Begins

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pastry

Banned
Apparently Battlefront did 2.1 million in the US for November, globally it's gotta be at at least 3 million then? I'm sure it's going to have a great December also.

Apparently Battlefront did 2.1 million in the US for November, globally it's gotta be at at least 3 million then? I'm sure it's going to have a great December also.

Yup. Just posting the reply for those that don't go to the NPD threads.

Sure!

Electronic Arts's leading title 'Star Wars: Battlefront,' the third-best seller of the November 2015 U.S. Games Industry Sales (New Physical Channel) report, sold 2.10 million unit sales including bundles, or 1.725 million units looking at the software side of things.

So if we look at the top three software when doing a like-to-like comparison factoring in all bundle sales, we have:

1.) Call of Duty: Black Ops III - (Xbox One, PS4, 360, PS3, PC | Actvision Blizzard)
4.89 million unit sales including bundles

2.) Fallout 4 (PS4, Xbox One, PC | Bethesda Softworks)
2.54 million unit sales including bundles

3.) Star Wars: Battlefront (PS4, Xbox One, PC | Electronic Arts)
2.10 million unit sales including bundles

And that bundle is $50 cheaper for a good portion of December. Plus, I heard there's a movie or something coming out. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Toa TAK

Banned
That's awesome for Battlefront. Regardless of how or why it raked in that much dough, I'm glad it did.

I should hit 30 today. I feel like I should just wait for the Blast achivement to be fixed at this point before I keep trying to pigeon hole myself into a small game, especially when I'm having issues getting games due to the bug.

My W/L ratio is horrible due to this. Yesterday I made an incredible push to a capture point (the middle one in the first set even) in Turning Point. Almost capped it by myself, but needless to say I died when all of a sudden the enemy team focused everything on me and the other two guys that finally thought, "ow lemme help cap this point" were just way too late to the party to take over the capping. I need to start playing with SW GAF I guess.

Ha - same thing happened to me last night (right before I posted). I'd managed to take down 3-4 storm troopers, and was capturing the point for a good 30-60 seconds with no back up. I can could see dudes on my team hanging back doing Lord knows what. I managed to get the counter down so that there was just a tiny sliver left before I got overwhelmed.

I Goddamn hate this too. Also, you've got 20 players, and yet the other 19 always seem to be everywhere except protecting the left most point (from the Imp perspective). Too busy butting heads to get the powerups like it's Black Friday on Jakku lol.

Or how about when the Imps are down to the last point, and 10 guys are hiding around the crates near the spawn point while the Rebels have a x5-8 rate on the counter. And that point is by far the easiest to defend, you just have to at least try to hold it.

Man, I must be bad then, only just hit 42 after 62 hours.

Some modes net you XP faster than others. If you're playing a lot of WA/Supremacy, unless you're topping the charts every round, it's going to take a while to reach 50.

I played a ton of HvsV early on, and hit 50 in under 50 hours. All that hero damage is great for farming XP, and rounds are way faster than in the big modes.

Even with them called in, if people torp'd them it cuts down the timer for the walkers to be locked down. There's all these little strats that are lost on the greater player base (such as THAT is on the PC...) because the game just doesn't communicate itself well.

Really wish that people would focus more on taking y-wings down using Ion Torpedos when playing as imperials. It's really, really easy and makes a big difference.
Then again. If the rebels have two players that are skilled with a snowspeeder, it still is an almost guaranteed loss for the empire...

timewyrm

Ha - same thing happened to me last night (right before I posted). I'd managed to take down 3-4 storm troopers, and was capturing the point for a good 30-60 seconds with no back up. I can could see dudes on my team hanging back doing Lord knows what. I managed to get the counter down so that there was just a tiny sliver left before I got overwhelmed.

I know right...

Or how about when the Imps are down to the last point, and 10 guys are hiding around the crates near the spawn point while the Rebels have a x5-8 rate on the counter. And that point is by far the easiest to defend, you just have to at least try to hold it.

Well in my case, when the rebels have 10+ mins on the clock to take the last point, guys hiding seems to be more effort than they've put in the rest of the match.

I've actually been re-thinking my strategies. I'm used to playing pvp in SWTOR, and there I'd attempt solo objectives if I had to; I'm wondering if I should just join in with the 5+ guys rushing one point (generally the left most from rebel perspective). I know I'm bad (kdr is currently around 0.75), but I know I'm trying to get the objectives done (been up on the leader boards at the end of the game quite a few times). But, it is hard to focus on objectives when you feel you're doing it alone, and when you'd like to perhaps focus on getting your kdr higher, it doesn't help that my melee game is goddamn awful (rubbish at close shooting).

Some modes net you XP faster than others. If you're playing a lot of WA/Supremacy, unless you're topping the charts every round, it's going to take a while to reach 50.

I played a ton of HvsV early on, and hit 50 in under 50 hours. All that hero damage is great for farming XP, and rounds are way faster than in the big modes.

Yeah, I've been playing Turning Point pretty much exclusively (and a bit of Blast). Anyways, I'm really bad at on the smaller maps, have really bad aim :( .

Interfectum

I've been playing this game for awhile now and I'm still blown away by how great the graphics are. DICE really outdid themselves in that department. Easily the standard at which future Star Wars games need to hold to.

Ferr986

Really wish that people would focus more on taking y-wings down using Ion Torpedos when playing as imperials. It's really, really easy and makes a big difference.
Then again. If the rebels have two players that are skilled with a snowspeeder, it still is an almost guaranteed loss for the empire...

Same as with Y-wings, shoot them ion torpedos. Problem is that no one give a fuck about speeders.

Btw, I'm only level 26 with 23? hours. I'll never get the alien races...

I wouldn't call it really really easy at all. Maybe it's because I am using a controller but lining up a shot is hard. Then when you find a good vantage point to hit the next one a rebel kills you.

I wouldn't call it really really easy at all. Maybe it's because I am using a controller but lining up a shot is hard. Then when you find a good vantage point to hit the next one a rebel kills you.

If you stand directly opposite of the flight path and shoot as soon it has a lock it's almost a guaranteed hit. Of course you have to be in a spot where you have some cover. I always look for a good spot just before the bomb runs are about to start. There were matches where I took down 6 Y-wings using this method.

Same as with Y-wings, shoot them ion torpedos. Problem is that no one give a fuck about speeders.

Btw, I'm only level 26 with 23? hours. I'll never get the alien races...

I always have trouble locking on when they're circling around the AT-AT.

Ive complained about this before...

... but there is nothing more annoying in SWBF than playing turning point (or walker assault) on a team that isn't even trying to complete the objectives.

When half your team is hanging near their own spawn point, trying to snipe the other team, you're going to lose, and lose bad.
The game does not reward playing the objective. It's why I've gone from playing hours a day to playing a few matches a week.

The servers are fucking awful. That's twice in the last week (I played Sunday and today) that I had lag and connection warnings.

This has never happened with any other game, nothing was being downloaded and nobody else was online. My Internet isn't great, but it's definitely good enough for gaming.

Question. What guns are worth buying with my magically earned points? Ive played for a few hours now and haven't used anything but the weapons they give you. Should I change that?

Apeboy

Nice middle finger to all of the fuckers who wanted the game to bomb because it wasn't made specifically for them.

I don't want to see the game bomb but I'm certainly not going to blindingly buy the season pass. Remember who we are talking about here. This is DICE, you know, the people that released BF4 into the wild. Sure, it's been two years and they have improved it but any good will they sctratched back with me has evaporated. They also had the BF4 community to experiment on for two years and this is the best they could come up with?

Question. What guns are worth buying with my magically earned points? Ive played for a few hours now and haven't used anything but the weapons they give you. Should I change that?

It took me a while before I had found the blaster I was most comfortable with.
E-11 for the big modes, DH-17 for the smaller modes.
Just play and try out different blasters and you'll find one that suits your style.

I don't want to see the game bomb but I'm certainly not going to blindingly buy the season pass. Remember who we are talking about here. This is DICE, you know, the people that released BF4 into the wild. Sure, it's been two years and they have improved it but any good will they sctratched back with me has evaporated. They also had the BF4 community to experiment on for two years and this is the best they could come up with?

Well I would judge the season pass more on the content of BF3 and 4's Premium...that would be a more accurate comparison. Both Premiums were pretty damn filled with content for the price.

That being said I am with you, I haven't bought it yet either. I am hoping that each map pack adds some of the survival maps as well but I am not holding my breath. I will wait to see what is in the first pack before I dive in or stay away.

Nice middle finger to all of the fuckers who wanted the game to bomb because it wasn't made specifically for them.

It was always clear that there is demand for a new Star Wars game. The question is if this game will have legs to reach the 13 million. And I'm not sure about that. Because then you have stuff like this here:

Electronic Arts Down After GameStop Cuts 'Battlefront' Price

http://www.nasdaq.com/article/electronic-arts-down-after-gamestop-cuts-battlefront-price-cm553263

...and have you recently looked at social media like Reddit etc.? Bad word of mouth is spreading fast. It doesn't help much that DICE is so silent right now. They have to do something.

Buying the season pass for PC seems like a really bad idea to me right now. The PC population is already shrinking, with the upcoming DLC the community will be divided into even smaller groups. I think it is a big mistake to include maps in the season pass.

CV9s6IFUwAEgfVp.png:large

Well I went 68/0 and we've still lost the match ._.
There's no way to win as Empire on Endor.

Upcoming patch apparently buffs AT-AT health ?

If you kept a list of games you'd beaten, and completed all of the 'missions' in this game, would you add Battlefront to your list? Or can this not really be considered something you beat?

Also, am I the only one having the server issues mentioned above?

B-Dex

If you kept a list of games you'd beaten, and completed all of the 'missions' in this game, would you add Battlefront to your list? Or can this not really be considered something you beat?

Also, am I the only one having the server issues mentioned above?

You could win a match in every mode online and get all the stars in the missions. So I would say it's beatable.

I wish we could see a numbers breakdown of sales on each platform. Including bundles I am betting that it outsold 2:1 (if not more) on PS4 than the other two combined.

You could win a match in every mode online and get all the stars in the missions. So I would say it's beatable.

I don't know if I could ever win a match in the mode where one person is a hero. I'm not that good.

But I could complete all the missions. I'm debating on that, though, since they're mostly just offline multiplayer matches.

Toa TAK

Banned
I don't know if I could ever win a match in the mode where one person is a hero. I'm not that good.

But I could complete all the missions. I'm debating on that, though, since they're mostly just offline multiplayer matches.

That's how I see them. Anytime there are server issues I just pick a mission and get all the stars associated with it.

Idk but I like those PvE missions like Survival and Battle quite a lot. Maybe because you don't die that often and feel more powerful.

Would be nice if they could expand those a bit (maybe make them similar to Mass Effect multiplayer?):

- More than 1 partner for Survival would be nice, maybe 1-3 with random matchmaking. Or at least AI partners for Survival. Feels nice to have several AI partners in Battle missions.

- To increase replay value they could introduce improved weapons like in Mass Effect, which are separate from regular multiplayer. For example:

DLT-44 I (Green)
DLT-44 II (Rare)
DLT-44 III (Epic)
DLT-44 IV (Legendary)

I think something like this wouldn't be too hard to implement.

LoveCake

I am wondering if somebody can explain something?

When playing as Empire, why are not people rushing the objective towers?

When playing as Rebels why isn't everyone carrying the Ion Rocket that can take out the AT-ST's with three hits (also to use on the AT-AT's) & also why am I constantly seeing people running straight past the objective towers that have not been activated? I simply cannot fathom why you would run straight past a objective & completely ignore it.

People are complaining that the game has flaws, well one of the biggest imo is people not playing it correctly.

I am wondering if somebody can explain something?

When playing as Empire, why are not people rushing the objective towers?

When playing as Rebels why isn't everyone carrying the Ion Rocket that can take out the AT-ST's with three hits (also to use on the AT-AT's) & also why am I constantly seeing people running straight past the objective towers that have not been activated? I simply cannot fathom why you would run straight past a objective & completely ignore it.

People are complaining that the game has flaws, well one of the biggest imo is people not playing it correctly.

Because people are dumb.

jesu

Played again tonight for the first time for a bit.
Just made it to level 10.
I'm falling behind when it comes to unlocks now!
Still just playing Blast, it's great!

Oare

The damned PC servers are already so depleted in Asia it's ridiculous.
The game's already on life support, at this rate it'll be dead before February.

Finding one game even on a fucking Friday night means basically going through all modes with and without Jakku, until finally finding the one where seemingly everybody is.
It's so sad I'm contemplating getting a VPN to play on servers abroad.
But I'm a bit wary. Does anybody know how that would stand from a legal standpoint? I'm not going to risk my Origin account just for one game, so if doing this is considered a breach of EULA, I'm not going to bother.
Also, how about ping? I suppose mine would take a huge hit? Does anyone have first hand experience?

Ambitious

Gotta love it when both Walkers with ~90% of their health left are downed literally inches before the goal by Airspeeders because hardly anyone is shooting them. And those who do, which includes me, can't hit those goddamn things.

Gotta love it when both Walkers with ~90% of their health left are downed literally inches before the goal by Airspeeders because hardly anyone is shooting them. And those who do, which includes me, can't hit those goddamn things.

Ridiculous. At the very end of every game the atats are easily taken down with tow rope. You can do nothing.

Kingsora

Would rather have no penis than have to show his to a medical professional

Globally 3 million? It already sold almost 200k in Japan (and they hate shooters). In Europe it is also selling like hotcakes, so it will be already be far above the 1,5 million sold copies in Europe.

That's not even counting the digital sales (digital sales is getting really big nowadays) and the bundles.

I am quite confident it's already over 6 million by now (mid december), rather than 3 million.

Also fun: When a guy is about to couple the last loop and time runs out. Woo!

Kingsora

The lag has got to me. I will leave this game alone until a patch.

When it comes to lag, Battlefront is one of the best experiences I have in years of multiplayer games. Almost all of time everything runs perfectly smooth, and the three or four times I had lag for a minute, it was actually because of my connection.

No you can blame a lot of things on DICE, but lag? Pretty sure it's your connection and not the game.

Kingsora

Can't blame the other team for playing the objectives, while your own team isn't doing anything.

Getting those airspeeders down or at least hinder them to complete there cable run isn't too difficult IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom