• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars Battlefront |OT| Here's Where The Fun Begins

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ambitious

I'm disappointed in how "flat" the Fighter Squadron maps are. Sure, there's a bit of debris on Jakku, several Laser Towers on Sullust and a small canyon on Tattoine, but this doesn't make a lot of difference.

I'd like to shake of enemies by speeding through a gigantic canyon full of big, complex rock formations. I'd like to have to evade huge asteroids while chasing an enemy in an asteroid field. I'd like to hide below Bespin and wait for the perfect opportunity to attack some enemy above. I'd like to get rid of missiles by leading them into Coruscant's rush hour traffic. I'd like to experience a dogfight at the Death Star.

Fighter Squadron maps are air-vehicle-only. Most of the other maps are infantry-based with some players using air vehicles. How about the other way around? How about an air vehicle map/mode where some players can choose to provide support from the ground (e.g. using one of the Death Star's bazillions of turrets)?

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
In one game last night the same guy in the Millennium Falcon flew into me while piloting Slave 1, twice! And he just flew away unscathed both times, Infuriating.

I'm disappointed in how "flat" the Fighter Squadron maps are. Sure, there's a bit of debris on Jakku, several Laser Towers on Sullust and a small canyon on Tattoine, but this doesn't make a lot of difference.

I'd like to shake of enemies by speeding through a gigantic canyon full of big, complex rock formations. I'd like to have to evade huge asteroids while chasing an enemy in an asteroid field. I'd like to hide below Bespin and wait for the perfect opportunity to attack some enemy above. I'd like to get rid of missiles by leading them into Coruscant's rush hour traffic. I'd like to experience a dogfight at the Death Star.

Fighter Squadron maps are air-vehicle-only. Most of the other maps are infantry-based with some players using air vehicles. How about the other way around? How about an air vehicle map/mode where some players can choose to provide support from the ground (e.g. using one of the Death Star's bazillions of turrets)?

I said a similar thing to a friend yesterday, we've spent the last two days watching all 6 films before Force Awakens comes out. The game is general is such wasted potential, but fighter squadron especially, there could be so much more going on during the battle. I still don't understand why there are no space battles, there's really no excuse when going from the trailers up until Force Awakens there has been no in atmosphere fighter battles in the films. How cool would it be fighting between a bunch of capital ships with the winning side blowing up the other, there is literally no point in the ground being there besides being something to crash into, and for those that need a horizon to level yourself a planet background would do the same thing.

Ferr986

I bought this game day one but I agree with the consensus in that there is a serious lack of content. I wouldn't have minded if the resources they spent focusing on making it so authentic was actually directed towards making more maps or weapons. A lot of people feared that it would be Battlefield with a Star Wars skin, well, as a Battlefield fan I think it would have greatly improved the game if it was a re-skin.

There is virtually no teamwork. I get that this is a casual game but still. I don't think the game is bad, I just think it could have been so much more.

I don't agree in that this should be a Battlefriend close but you're goddamn right about no teamwork.

Fuck, I just was on a Turning Point match as rebel where we didn't even get the first point (well, I left with 1 minute left because fuck that shit). And no, it wasn't because we sucked hard, but because everyone was camping killing shit. They didn't even give a fuck about moving.

At this point I'll rather just play with bots, atleast they would play the objectives.

MilkyJoe

I don't agree in that this should be a Battlefriend close but you're goddamn right about no teamwork.

Fuck, I just was on a Turning Point match as rebel where we didn't even get the first point (well, I left with 1 minute left because fuck that shit). And no, it wasn't because we sucked hard, but because everyone was camping killing shit. They didn't even give a fuck about moving.

At this point I'll rather just play with bots, atleast they would play the objectives.

I'd kill for bots in this game.

watchdog

Anyone else playing on PC getting crashes recently? The game crashed last night during a match on Jakku and then this morning while playing on Sullust. I never had crashes until after downloading the update for Jakku. My GPU doesn't appear to be overheating.

Dr Prob

Banned
Star Wars doesnt need over 100 weapons und 100s of weapon attachments... thats not something that would fit to the game.

Dude, what's up with you regurgitating this same talking point again and again? I've seen people wonder what the game would be like if it borrowed a bit from DICE's other shooter franchise, from squads to facilitate teamwork and make playing with your party more fun, classes, more maps, open modes, and even sometimes more weapons, but I've never once seen anyone come in here asking for HUNDREDS OF WEAPONS AND HUNDREDS OF ATTACHMENTS. What is going on? What did the weapons do to you?

Ft3DBHy.gif

Memnoch

I'm getting this for Christmas on ps4 (with the Darth Vader controller) and I have bought the season pass. Super hyped to play.

Played a Cargo game where my own teammates stopped us from winning. They blocked the doorways on one end and we ended up having to go the other way the whole time. Not sure if it was a glitch but we werent able to get pass them. Its either they were sabatoging our end or they really were stuck.

Had a great game of Hero Hunt yesterday. It was the last mode I needed a win in to get the trophy and it's also my least favourite mode. But I managed to go on a 20 or so killstreak with Han right at the end of the game when I had like 1 kill beforehand. It felt badass.

adj_noun

I thought I was doing really well in Fighter Squadron, but it turned out that almost all of my kills were AI. :(

Go for TIE Interceptors. They're always human. Regular TIEs with names when highlighted are human too.

A-Wings are always human as well, but I've gotten to the point where I almost ignore 'em in favor of AI/anyone foolhardy enough to pilot an X-Wing.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Had a great game of Hero Hunt yesterday. It was the last mode I needed a win in to get the trophy and it's also my least favourite mode. But I managed to go on a 20 or so killstreak with Han right at the end of the game when I had like 1 kill beforehand. It felt badass.

And your avatar makes it more sweet reading this.

This is the last mode I need for a win as well. I should jump in it later today to see if I can get it.

T.E.D

Banned
The gameplay is unique too. Star Wars doesnt need over 100 weapons und 100s of weapon attachments... thats not something that would fit to the game.

Sure they will add more weapons later on with DLC, but i dont thing we will ever reach something like 40 weapons.

Do you work for EA?

I'm a fan of the FPS and TPS genre and I've played literally hundreds of them in the last 20 years or so and as you can imagine I am curious as to what aspect of the shooty-shooty bang-bang is unique to Battlefront in your eyes? I'm also a massive fan of the Battlefield franchise and I believe DICE is one of the most talented studios around at the moment but this is well and truly below their standards as I'm sure a lot of other Battlefield fans will agree.

I've never heard anyone complaining of too much content before though so that's a new one for me. There are six heroes in the game - where is Obi-Wan Kenobi, Chewbacca, Yoda etc? And that's not even taking into consideration the other periods they ignored - the Sith Lord Maul, Count Dooku, Mace Windu, Jar Jar Binks, Darth Nihilus, HK-47, Jango, General Grievous, Qui-Gon Jinn among countless others.

The game looks beautiful no doubt but there is hardly a variety in the map department. Where are the city maps along the lines of Coruscant or Tatooine? Felucia, Naboo, Serenno...nowhere to be seen. The game is designed in such a way that there is literally zero teamplay and this is coming from the creators of Battlefield for heavens sake. Worst still, is the rank up system and subsequent reward progression - the game literally gives you three abilities regarding accuracy and health after so many hours when it should have been an option from the get-go. There are four vehicles in the sky at any one point on normal modes as opposed to Battlefields...what.....eight or so? And speaking of vehicles...why are they thrown around the maps as pickups? Nonsense.

But the worst thing that I think is indefensible is the lack of guns. Take a look at these Star Wars weapons and gadgets...

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/The_Essential_Guide_to_Weapons_and_Technology

There aren't even galactic space battles....in a Battlefront game. Shocking. The PC crowd is already jumping ship because they know the writing is on the wall. Must try harder next time.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Do you work for EA?

I'm a fan of the FPS and TPS genre and I've played literally hundreds of them in the last 20 years or so and as you can imagine I am curious as to what aspect of the shooty-shooty bang-bang is unique to Battlefront in your eyes? I'm also a massive fan of the Battlefield franchise and I believe DICE is one of the most talented studios around at the moment but this is well and truly below their standards as I'm sure a lot of other Battlefield fans will agree.

I've never heard anyone complaining of too much content before though so that's a new one for me. There are six heroes in the game - where is Obi-Wan Kenobi, Chewbacca, Yoda etc? And that's not even taking into consideration the other periods they ignored - the Sith Lord Maul, Count Dooku, Mace Windu, Jar Jar Binks, Darth Nihilus, HK-47, Jango, General Grievous, Qui-Gon Jinn among countless others.

The game looks beautiful no doubt but there is hardly a variety in the map department. Where are the city maps along the lines of Coruscant or Tatooine? Felucia, Naboo, Serenno...nowhere to be seen. The game is designed in such a way that there is literally zero teamplay and this is coming from the creators of Battlefield for heavens sake. Worst still, is the rank up system and subsequent reward progression - the game literally gives you three abilities regarding accuracy and health after so many hours when it should have been an option from the get-go. There are four vehicles in the sky at any one point on normal modes as opposed to Battlefields...what.....eight or so? And speaking of vehicles...why are they thrown around the maps as pickups? Nonsense.

But the worst thing that I think is indefensible is the lack of guns. Take a look at these Star Wars weapons and gadgets...

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/The_Essential_Guide_to_Weapons_and_Technology

There aren't even galactic space battles....in a Battlefront game. Shocking. The PC crowd is already jumping ship because they know the writing is on the wall. Must try harder next time.

That first part is just tacky, come on. Just because someone has an opinion, which I equally share, and have been gaming for over 30 years, been playing shooters since Wolfenstein 3D, Doom, and huge UT junkie with college LAN parties for years. I avoided Battlefield 4 since the myriad of unlocks felt too monotonous (since people barely used 3/4 of the unlocks), and also always felt like I had to play "catch up" to more core player base, or I was left in the dust when I played. I am not as hardcore anymore with shooters. I feel like I can choose any weapon in this game, adjust to it's stats, and not feel too disadvantaged.

And second part, is no longer cannon (See the LEGENDS at the top of the screen?). Disney is having stuff come out that is cannon now. So they are being very careful to tie all the releases from comics, to shows, to games to books together. The game has pretty much every iconic weapon we have seen in the OT movies.

We have yet to see if there is space battles in the DLC, which my gut tells me there will be. But if not, there is always BF2, just like the original had them in the sequel as well.

I'm perfectly ok with the selection of weapons. I'm constantly juggling between them and having a good time.

Exactly. I never juggled at all with Battlefield or CoD games. You picked the 1 or 3 top flavors and stuck with them. I have been using all the weapons depending on map, mode, how the team is responding, etc. Something I have not done since UT days.

This post makes no sense whatsoever.

What about the gameplay makes it any more authentic than if it was simply a reskin of Battlefield?

Sorry, I probably should elaborate more.
By authenticity I'm referring to the sound, the visuals, the small details. It all just oozes Star Wars and that's one of the things I really like about Battlefront.
And although I played a lot of Battlefield 4, and liked it, I'm enjoying the casual gameplay of Battlefront even more. So I'm glad it's not a reskin.

GoxRx

Been trying to find a wa or supremacy game on x1 brazilian servers for an hour. No luck. This game is dead on this console and region.
Anyone knows if adding us people as friends and try to join their games does work or will i be region locked away anyway?

They should add a server browser to avoid these problems. Most of the time I don't have problems finding a game, but in certain modes there's no one playing. I'm from South America too.

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
I'm on ps4. I can only create a partner or the party with people that are"not" on. I can't seem to create a party. Is there a certain steps I should take?

The Battlefront party system is just the PS4 party system, can you create a normal party on the PS4 with friends that are on? This is outside of Battlefront now, the main PS4 OS party functionality.

Ambitious

For the second time, I happened to join a match that literally just finished. The vehicle selection screen showed up, but I was unable to select one. Two seconds later, "DEFEAT" appeared.

timewyrm

Had a match last night as Rebels, where the Imps were camping on all our respawn points (second set of control points). Actually, they were camping right behind our respawn points, so that they could shoot us in the back as soon as we spawned in...

Simo

I'm perfectly ok with the selection of weapons. I'm constantly juggling between them and having a good time.

Really? Just switch to Solo's pistol like everyone else and drop people with 2 shots every time. =/

I'm also surprised that given how long the game has been out you still run in to teams that have no fucking clue what to do. Like a couple of days ago I decided to try Walker Assault on Jakku and got matched on the Rebels side....a miserable experience. Not only were team mates not going after the uplinks and choosing to hang back to take out Imperials at a distance from our spawn point but what uplinks and Y-Wings we did have nobody was attacking the AT-AT or using any of the turrets or cannons.

Then to make matters worse an Imperial spawns as Boba Fett and smartly, hangs back picking players, or rather me since I was only player trying to take him out, off to go 70-1. Needless to say we got fucking trampled and I haven't played the game since.

Really? Just switch to Solo's pistol like everyone else and drop people with 2 shots every time. =/

I'm also surprised that given how long the game has been out you still run in to teams that have no fucking clue what to do. Like a couple of days ago I decided to try Walker Assault on Jakku and got matched on the Rebels side....a miserable experience. Not only were team mates not going after the uplinks and choosing to hang back to take out Imperials at a distance from our spawn point but what uplinks and Y-Wings we did have nobody was attacking the AT-AT or using any of the turrets or cannons.

Then to make matters worse an Imperial spawns as Boba Fett and smartly, hangs back picking players, or rather me since I was only player trying to take him out, off to go 70-1. Needless to say we got fucking trampled and I haven't played the game since.

I encounter the odd person using the DL-44 and I have a go with it occasionally, but I don't think it's dominating the game. I can usually deal with players using it, but it should definitely be nerfed a bit.

I've actually spent most of my time in the smaller game modes like Blast and Droid Run and the majority of people seem to play the objectives. My experience with the larger game modes hasn't been as good though.

GobFather

The Battlefront party system is just the PS4 party system, can you create a normal party on the PS4 with friends that are on? This is outside of Battlefront now, the main PS4 OS party functionality.
I was with my friends on party chat on ps4 os. And I tried to invite them to party but all I can do is add them as partner.

Ferr986

They really need to put back TIEs on 3rd rounds of WA IMO.

Just had a match on Hoth where on the 3rd round we had all the speeders, 2 A-Wings, and 1 (badass) X-Wing. Shit wasn't fair lol

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I encounter the odd person using the DL-44 and I have a go with it occasionally, but I don't think it's dominating the game. I can usually deal with players using it, but it should definitely be nerfed a bit.

I've actually spent most of my time in the smaller game modes like Blast and Droid Run and the majority of people seem to play the objectives. My experience with the larger game modes hasn't been as good though.

People always use the DL-44 better than I do, lol. I get owned when I use it, lol.

Oh, and enjoy this fan made trailer for the movie!

https://youtu.be/N4fA-0l8Cp8 (new footage, media blackout warning)

GeeTeeCee

Just had my first experience as Slave 1 at full health getting rammed out of the air in one shot by the Millenium Falcon. Not fun.

What was fun, however, was dominating the very same player in the next round, where the lack of an OP Hero ship made them an easy target time and time again.

Only a little more xp before I finally reach rank 25 and get my hands on the DL-44. It's almost time to become everything I despise.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Well I got to rank 8 before it crashed on me. Not too bad for a new Dice game, I guess.

Ambitious

I fired at an A-Wing for like half a minute. He had just a sliver of health left, managed to grab a Health pick up, get behind me and kill me with just a few shots. This is bullshit.

B00TE

The T-21 on Hoth is soooo good. Also got a 'threatening' message that I should stop hacking or there'll be 'consequences'. lol

moai

What i find funny about the awings is that i can put the shields on and go through a tie like they are made out of paper.

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
I was with my friends on party chat on ps4 os. And I tried to invite them to party but all I can do is add them as partner.

If you were in a party chat then you were already in a party, the game uses the PS4 party chat as its party system. So you've got a bunch of icons at the top, the first two will be you and a partner, then it will be a few icons for those in your party chat, then the rest of the icons will be those who are online. If you are in a party chat you are already together, when one of you enters a game it invites the rest of the people playing the game in the same party chat as well if they are sitting at one of the main menu screens.

So I play with a few people, we make the party chat group first and load up the game, we partner off with each other, then one of us initiates a mode and the rest of us get invites and can choose to join that game.

Huh, so I tried playing for the first time in a couple days and got an "Invalid Cipher" error from the EA License Check application. I clicked "repair game files" and now I'm (re?)downloading 10GB. Did this happen to anyone else, or should I be checking my HDD to see if it's failing?

Ozorov

Huh, so I tried playing for the first time in a couple days and got an "Invalid Cipher" error from the EA License Check application. I clicked "repair game files" and now I'm (re?)downloading 10GB. Did this happen to anyone else, or should I be checking my HDD to see if it's failing?

Platform?

nowarning

Got this game as an early christmas present from a family member (on pc). Played 4 hours now and it's just not clicking with me at all. Every game I join the team I am on get absolutely tanked, some games I do OK but usually absolutely terrible. The enemy seems to come from absolutely everywhere and joining games in progress doesn't help me working out the flow of the game, I lose 1-on-1 gun battles all the time even though the enemy doesn't hit me first, I can see their HP is super low but then it's as if they kill me in one hit. Any tips?

Ozorov

Got this game as an early christmas present from a family member (on pc). Played 4 hours now and it's just not clicking with me at all. Every game I join the team I am on get absolutely tanked, some games I do OK but usually absolutely terrible. The enemy seems to come from absolutely everywhere and joining games in progress doesn't help me working out the flow of the game, I lose 1-on-1 gun battles all the time even though the enemy doesn't hit me first, I can see their HP is super low but then it's as if they kill me in one hit. Any tips?
Are you playing in fps-mode or 3rd-person-mode? Try to switch and see if you're doing better in the other mode

WillyFive

Sorry, I probably should elaborate more.
By authenticity I'm referring to the sound, the visuals, the small details. It all just oozes Star Wars and that's one of the things I really like about Battlefront.
And although I played a lot of Battlefield 4, and liked it, I'm enjoying the casual gameplay of Battlefront even more. So I'm glad it's not a reskin.

All of that is the skin. You are enjoying the skin of the game (locations, sounds, visuals), which I think pretty much every one does. What we are saying is take that skin and apply it to better gameplay, like Battlefield or the original Battlefront games. That's what a reskin means.

Holy shit. I just played 8 matches of Turning Point and got first place in every one, LMAO. My team won all the matches as imperials and lost all of them as rebels, but I still managed to be the top player in all of them :D

I managed to get almost 11k points in one of the matches haha

I got screens from 2 of them but my PS4 is off atm, I'll post them later.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom