• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars Battlefront |OT| Here's Where The Fun Begins

Status
Not open for further replies.

lawnchair

Banned
So what's the consensus on this game 1 month in? Is it still fun? Is it easy enough to find matches? (specifically the ps4 version) im thinking about getting in on that psn deal while i can.

playing in NA, PS4 version, i have had 0 problems finding games at any time of day.. except for the occasional matchmaking glitch. i'm still having quite a lot of fun with it, though there are annoyances that need to be addressed.

No Love

Banned
Bought the game thinking there was online split-screen fun.

The fuck. What a dumb trend in gaming for developers to give you less options to play. Playing online split screen with someone in the same room was the most fun I had with number 2, and it makes absolutely no sense to include the option in local multiplayer and not online. It was a standard feature in 2005. What happened?

Sorry to be whining, this fact just really brought down my enjoyment of the game considerably.

There wasn't online splitscreen in SWBF2 (or any game from 2005). There is offline splitscreen in both that game and the new one.

Honestly it's your own fault for not doing any research. Buyer beware.

The most ironic thing is that in the trailers Gamestop has (official ones I think) they have a part where it's a quote from somewhere and it says

"AWESOME couch co-op experience"

I rarely if ever go to Gamestop but I saw that trailer there today and it struck me as funny.

Don't get me wrong, my gf loves the splitscreen because playing together is cool but when all you get is some barebones vs play + training missions + barebones horde mode, it gets old quick.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
WOOOOOW that was just the most unbalanced Supremacy game I've seen yet.

We were rebels on Hoth and we started immediately running toward the first control point as fast as we could but before we got there it was already under their control with a ton of dudes AND they had Vader in there. While we basically had an impossible task of trying to take that back, they had guys flowing in from the side along with walkers and turrets. If we went to take the point back, they were on our left flank. If we turned to try and hold them back, the guys in the hangar were on our right flank. So they got another control point. After that, it would only spawn us all the way over by our last control point. That's okay to defend the last control point, but to retake the other one we would have to run across an open field with them on our constant flank, only to be running headlong into the hangar full of them.

Who designed that and thought it was all good?

Edit: SERIOUSLY THO it just put me on a team in Cargo that was losing 0:9 and they had already grabbed the last one. How hard is it to make trams that are even remotely well matched? Even if it fails that hard, it should just auto-breakup the lobby as a mercy rule or something. Teams have been unbalanced like this all day.

Tubie

Wooo. Made it from 35 to 45. I think I can hit 50 by tomorrow.

Then it's just the survival related achievements..

Yea, I got 30-35 in like less than 2 hours of play time lol.

My goal was 40 for this whole 2x score event, so I'm way ahead of it.

MDave

Noticed I'm playing a whole lot better now I'm running the game at 120 fps without vsync, crazy how much input lag can affect the game with a mouse at vysnced 60. I haven't noticed it that much with other PC games though ...

Getting closer towards the top of the scoreboard now, 2nd place the highest I've been in the 40 player modes.

Noticed another bug, not sure when but my trait card was changed to no card at some point, I suspect after I completed the single player Survival modes on all maps on all difficulties.

Seems like there was a huge influx of new players (probably due to the movie). There are people constantly going 1-20 or 4-30. I managed to go 53-5 in WA on Hoth and I never even got a hero token.

Seems like there was a huge influx of new players (probably due to the movie). There are people constantly going 1-20 or 4-30. I managed to go 53-5 in WA on Hoth and I never even got a hero token.

fs5iUoWptyY3S.gif

Theecliff

Banned
i've said it before but i'll say it again, i absolutely hate playing as emporor palpatine in heroes and villains matches. i know he's supposed to be the support villain character but he feels like trash compared to the heroes' support character, leia, who is probably my favourite hero/villain to play as currently. leia has a decent long range rifle, a decent secondary blaster attack and a good defensive capability to fall back on. palpatine has an extremely short range, seemingly underpowered main attack that runs out incredibly quickly and a secondary attack that is only useful in specific situations otherwise it's just as weak as his main attack and a poor dash ability (that unlike other dash abilities doesn't damage enemies unless i'm mistaken). unlike a rifle you can't exactly 'reload' your lightning so if you run out attacking a group or a hero you're shit out of luck and are basically forced to run away, but he's slower than most of the other characters and as already previously mentioned his dash is pretty shitty so he's pretty easy to hunt down.

i'd imagine he'd be okay to play as if you were running with a party on mic so you could work in tandem with the troopers and other villain characters, but playing as him on your own is extremely frustrating. the only decent games i've had with him are when the shock troopers have stuck by me or/and i've ran with vader, but this is hard to coordinate with randoms and rarely happens. gahhh

Speaking of Hoth and Hero tokens, they really need to make them stand out better. I've had entire matches playing as Rebels when we haven''t had a hero the entire match because no one could fucking find the token.

B-Dex

Yeah they really need to add in more redundancy checks to respawns. Last night I was spawned into gunfire, 2 orbital strikes, and an AT-ST. Literally free kills for those players.

LoveCake

I really wish there was a Gaf server for this game, been playing today & every game either Empire or Rebel has been populated by idiots, time & again Empire players not rushing uplinks or Rebels not activating uplinks, I just sit at the edge of the map so I don't get killed & then quit once the game is over.

I have said this a few times here, but this game is not bad because of the actual game, ok it is weak in areas, but the real issue is the majority of people playing, some games I have had have been excellent last week especially, but since double XP started the amount of idiots with zero tactical ability has exploded exponentially.

LoveCake

People are scared to play the objective incase their K\d drops.

I am sure that an algorithm could be added so that people who play the objectives get matchmaked into games with others that play the objectives & people with high K/d ratios get into games with like minded people, It could even have it's own sub-title, the coward league or something.

The person with the highest objective score has a halo around their head & the person with the highest K/d has a chicken-head applied to their character like in MGS!

It is a very good game when the players on both sides play the game as it is supped to be.

LoveCake

lol Coward League Gaming!

Why not?

I often have to go on suicide missions to disable/activate the uplinks.

It is superb, especially walker assault. but it takes a while to find these games. They could always remove k/d from the scoreboard, not really much point in the displaying the stats anyway imo. Give more points for actually playing objectives would be a start too.

Yes they should do that.

I don't mind losing games when everyone is giving their all, it is the taking part that counts, but some people just don't want to bother & I bet they have a high K/d ratio but have lost more games than they have won.

Theorry

Uch Double XP is terrible. All the tryhards are coming back and they are all using the DL44.
They really need to nerf that gun. One headshot kill shouldnt be possible. Complete ruins alot of gunplay now.

I feel like more times than it should, I'll be in a big group of people and out of all those people, I'm the one that gets hit with the Pulse Rifle shot.

Theorry

Jup last game. All my 8 deaths were do a DL44. This is fucking stupid now.
Half of those death i also shot first, saw them first. Just outplayed them but they just get that lucky headshot in. Screw DICE with this balancing. Getting level 50 soon and then i just wait for monday to play again when double xp has ended and those dl44 user are gone again.

lawnchair

Banned
Speaking of Hoth and Hero tokens, they really need to make them stand out better. I've had entire matches playing as Rebels when we haven''t had a hero the entire match because no one could fucking find the token.

i cant say that i know where any of the hero token are on the bigger maps off the top of my head .. whenever i happen to come across one (rarely) i'm like WOWZA and then i freak out and suck playing luke skywalker

Klocker

Uch Double XP is terrible. All the tryhards are coming back and they are all using the DL44.
They really need to nerf that gun. One headshot kill shouldnt be possible. Complete ruins alot of gunplay now.

Yep. Played cargo last night and a group of dl''ers just ran around the whole match playing deathmatch and never once picked up any cargo. Stupid

Reached level 50 today. Thanks to double XP last few levels went by quickly.
Some thoughts:

-> It's still fun !
-> My preferred mode is Walker Assault.
-> A-wing is OP and broken with missing hit points. Because of that the Fighter Squadron mode is unbalanced and unfair for the Empire side.
-> DL44 is fine on big maps but OP in smaller maps/modes
-> Locations of power ups, hero tokens and vehicle tokens should be completely randomised.
-> Incoming fighters should come from random place. Right now it's too easy for the rebels to spawn trap incoming Tie fighters. They also need a buff.
-> Nerfing Boba Feet was the right thing to do. It's still the most lethal hero but at least now you have to aim in order to get a kill.

Dice

I think it's fine for a gun like the T-21, just not a rapid fire pistol.

Many times when I'm like 3 feet from the hero pick up, it simply disappears. It's happened to me like 3 or 4 times the last few days. WTF.

Also, I got Darth Vader yesterday and lasted for like 15s, every blaster shot takes health and with a group of people shooting... yeah. Hero pick ups are not fun anymore.

Dice

I just did my first ragequit. Started a game of Walker Assault, it was early and a Y-Wing hadn't even locked in. Got killed 3 times in a row in less than 3 seconds each because Leia & friends had apparently moved up to behind the back AT-AT to spawn camp.

That should not even be possible. Why design a game where spawn camping like that is possible. I joined the game to play, not to wake up and die.

lawnchair

Banned
battlefront as it is seems very embedded in the OT, to me it makes more sense for it to stay that way.

i would prefer that they save force awakens stuff for a sequel (which seems more likely to me anyway, but who knows)

.. also i havent seen TFA yet.

battlefront as it is seems very embedded in the OT, to me it makes more sense for it to stay that way.

i would prefer that they safe force awakens stuff for a sequel (which seems more likely to me anyway, but who knows)

.. also i havent seen TFA yet.

You'll change your mind when you see it. TFA is also very embedded in the OT.

Dice

maybe so. as long as the character of the game doesn't feel significantly changed i guess i'd be fine with it.
The character of the game... you mean sitting behind cover with a pulse cannon and homing shot doing nothing for your team?

Edit: Seriously the more I play, the more the bad design becomes apparent. I'm feeling like I should have spent the $30 on Black Ops 3, which was a sale on the MS store at the time, or the BF4 Premium when it was on deals with gold. Playing the old Battlefront 2 at 30fps on this weak laptop is starting to seem more appealing. Spawns need to be completely overhauled. Combat on the whole should be closer range via lowering weapon accuracy to cut down on the chickenshit anti-objective sniper battle nature because nobody feels comfortable making any sort of open space approach. K/D should be abolished on objective modes and not included in overall game stats. Scoring for objectives should be 3-4x what it is to encourage actually trying to play according to mode rules instead of getting far more points from sitting back and killing meaninglessly.

I could play to level 50 but I feel like I'd be better off trading this in while it's still hot to get something far more satisfying. This is really only good if you don't care about winning or losing or even trying to do what the different modes are set up to doing and just join the rest in cowardly camper killing. I mean you really have to enjoy that style because it's not even appropriately set up to be a shallow run 'n gun like Quake or Unreal Tournament. It's such a huge shame and a waste of so much effort to create a beautiful game world.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom