• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars Battlefront |OT| Here's Where The Fun Begins

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spy

I have a wishlist of things I feel could have made this game great...

-The ability to go prone, I think you could do this in the first Battlefront game.
-Some sort of dive. Particularly to avoid those lock-on rocket launchers if you're skilled enough.
-A working party join system. If the beta and full game impressions are anything to go by, playing with your friends will be a pain.
-Being able to squad up with at least four people. It's hard to work together as a team when you can only spawn on your lone partner.

The biggest, which many would agree...

-Vehicles NOT being pickups.

RoKKeR

Damn, Heroes vs. Villans is an awesome mode. Can't help but wish we had more Heroes/Villans, but it's a very enjoyable mode. Boba Fett is the best, love that jet pack.

-The ability to go prone, I think you could do this in the first Battlefront game.
-Some sort of dive. Particularly to avoid those lock-on rocket launchers if you're skilled enough.

I do feel a bit limited in this, in terms of motion. The Jump Pack is the big ol' fun bandaid for this, but yeah, I wish we could go prone, dive, and mantle/clamber.

-A working party join system. If the beta and full game impressions are anything to go by, playing with your friends will be a pain.
-Being able to squad up with at least four people. It's hard to work together as a team when you can only spawn on your lone partner.

I'm still undecided if I the vehicle pickups is right or not. At first I was majorly pissed because boarding a snowspeeder in a hoth base would be amazing, but as I play the game I can't help but think it's a good thing.

It encourages forward movement and for players to remain on the field. Have an awesome airbase or vehicle hangar just encourages people to camp around there fighting for the ability to be in an iconic Star Wars ship. It also allows for the vehicles to be appropriately strong, so it becomes an award instead of a small bonus. If they were that powerful and there was a place where they spawn, nobody would leave.

It most likely would have just caused more issues than it is worth. It's one thing when you can fly a cool blackhawk helicopter, it's another when it's a mofo xwing (it would be chaos).

gossi

So my 10 hour trial just expired.

I unplugged my network cable, and tried to relaunch the game. "You need to be signed into Xbox Live to play a trial" message. So I just kept opening the game and it started anyway. If you click the game icon before the message appears, it just starts. MS might want to patch that. It appears to be introduced with the latest dashboard.

PS: if you start another game or quit the game, this won't work. It's a resume-from-memory bug.

Ferr986

Hype for the game is also increasing the hype for the movie (if there was more room for it).

I actually went to look if I had a little something from when I was a kid. luckily it's still in one piece (altough dusty as fuck).

wYSPzu8.jpg

Man, the X-Wing is got to be the best design of a 1-man spaceship.

border

So my 10 hour trial just expired.

I unplugged my network cable, and tried to relaunch the game. "You need to be signed into Xbox Live to play a trial" message. So I just kept opening the game and it started anyway. If you click the game icon before the message appears, it just starts. MS might want to patch that. It appears to be introduced with the latest dashboard.

Does this mean you can only play local co-op offline? Or is there some way to re-connect once you are in the game?

border

How do I download this game? Is there a way to do it with a web browser?

I can get to the game's page on Xbox One, but when I select "Try It Free with EA Access" I just get a spinning green circle for 2 minutes and then it kicks me back to the game page.

Bumhead

Banned
Hype for the game is also increasing the hype for the movie (if there was more room for it).

I actually went to look if I had a little something from when I was a kid. luckily it's still in one piece (altough dusty as fuck).

Love this.

I sold a job lot of Star Wars toys years ago to help out with the money for a family emergency. None of it was boxed, but there was tons of it. Most of the major ships (X-Wings, Y-Wings, TIE's, Falcon, Vaders TIE, Snow Speeder.. think the only ship I didn't have that I always wanted was the A-Wing but those were crazy rare and expensive) and loads of figures, accessories and play sets. All of it was in good condition and there were some rare figures in there.

Got a few hundred pounds for it and it needed to be done at the time. But man, I don't half miss that stuff. This Christmas is when I would have been going up to the attic to dig it all out.

Something that makes me excited about the game is that it *looks* like the pace and hit detection is closer to Battlefield 2 than BF2 and 3. You seem to be able to receive more punishment before near-instantly going down like in COD/BF3/BF4.

Ferr986

Love this.

I sold a job lot of Star Wars toys years ago to help out with the money for a family emergency. None of it was boxed, but there was tons of it. Most of the major ships (X-Wings, Y-Wings, TIE's, Falcon, Vaders TIE, Snow Speeder.. think the only ship I didn't have that I always wanted was the A-Wing but those were crazy rare and expensive) and loads of figures, accessories and play sets. All of it was in good condition and there were some rare figures in there.

Got a few hundred pounds for it and it needed to be done at the time. But man, I don't half miss that stuff. This Christmas is when I would have been going up to the attic to dig it all out.

I remember I also had a lot of figures, but can't find them :( I honestly can't remember what happened to them, probably my sister sold them or my mother gave them away... I honestly though I didn't had the ship anymore, my mother gave away a lot of my toys when I moved ....

I only had the X-Wing, as you said they were crazy expensive so I just could get the one I liked the most, and that's the X.

Btw I also found the original (non-special edition) VHS films lol

5taquitos

Something that makes me excited about the game is that it *looks* like the pace and hit detection is closer to Battlefield 2 than BF2 and 3. You seem to be able to receive more punishment before near-instantly going down like in COD/BF3/BF4.

It's definitely a longer TTK, which is great, the Star Wars universe shouldn't be punishing.

Just so I am clear, you can play the game in FPV?

first person view?

Yeah, you can toggle between first and third at any time.

Ferrio

Banned

first person view?

Yes, though honestly the 3rd person view is way better for the most part. Except for the times you end up shooting a damn rock or something due to the offset camera. I didn't wanna make the switch to 3rd, but doing so helped a lot.

first person view?

Yes. In fact, yesterday I found that, depending on the situation, switching back and forth can be very useful. Aiming "feels" better in first-person, but your awareness/FOV is MUCH better in third-person. I find I have more success in first-person in corridor battles or areas where FOV isn't such an advantage. Of course, you can't safely look around corridor corners in first-person view.

It's amazing that you have to get to LEVEL 15 to unlock it in the full game. The jetpack really does change the way the game can be played.

Yeah, this is beyond dumb. That should be starter equipment, IMO.

I still have an original Tie Interceptor, AT-AT, two AT-STs, an X-Wing, a Snow Speeder, a Y-Wing, the Ewok Village, a Hoth Laser Turret and a bunch of figures - all from the 1st run of the toys back in the 80s. They're a little beat-up, but they still look awesome.

The X-wing wings won't stay open anymore though. The hinge or whatever has no torque to it anymore. The rest still work.

I lost the net-trap for the Ewok Village though :(

I really want to love this game. It looks amazing, but I just am not into MP only competitive games. A full out campaign or two ( as rebel or as imperial) would have blown my mind. Anyone that says SP only games dont sell need to look no further than Fall out 4.

So i will sit here and cry, wanting an immersive star wars SP rpg type game.

Dabanton

I've given this a few hours now and I doubt I'll get the full release after my trail hours are up.

Matches are after your 10th or so match fairly tedious. There is no teamwork, which is no surprise in MP games nowadays, but this game doesn't even have something awesome like good environmental destruction which would have made matches a bit more dynamic. Everything feels so static.

Yes this has the sights and sounds of Star Wars and the presentation is top notch but, after you've seen it three or four times it all feels so underwhelming which is a damm shame. There isn't even any skill needed to kill other players, no joy in outwitting an opponent,just run around firing. Whilst running round fairly empty maps.

The graphics are really good,I just wished they were attached to a better game.

Im done with Blops III

May have to get this, I didn''t play the beta, just watched streams last night.

The game looks beautiful.

I just wish it played like BF4, the 3rd person view is weird to me.

Ferr986

I still have an original Tie Interceptor, AT-AT, two AT-STs, an X-Wing, a Snow Speeder, a Y-Wing, the Ewok Village, a Hoth Laser Turret and a bunch of figures - all from the 1st run of the toys back in the 80s. They're a little beat-up, but they still look awesome.

The X-wing wings won't stay open anymore though. The hinge or whatever has no torque to it anymore. The rest still work.

I lost the net-trap for the Ewok Village though :(

That surely must be a nice collection :)

I remember wanting a Tie Fighter for my dogfights as a kid, but didn't find them and my parents ended up buying some random spaceship lol.

I've given this a few hours now and I doubt I'll get the full release after my trail hours are up.

Matches are after your 10th or so match fairly tedious. There is no teamwork, which is no surprise in MP games nowadays, but this game doesn't even have something awesome like good environmental destruction which would have made matches a bit more dynamic. Everything feels so static.

Yes this has the sights and sounds of Star Wars and the presentation is top notch but, after you've seen it three or four times it all feels so underwhelming which is a damm shame. There isn't even any skill needed to kill other players, no joy in outwitting an opponent,just run around firing. Whilst running round fairly empty maps.

The graphics are really good,I just wished they were attached to a better game.

If you're just "running around and firing" in any shooter EVER, you aren't playing with an active mind yourself. There's plenty of avenues and options when it comes to outwitting your opponents in this game.

I'm indifferent on prone, don't much cate for it either way. A working party system is a must, it's so incredibly stupid as is. Not quite sure what you mean by squad up though. You can join a match with 8 people currently. If you mean you want more people to spawn on please no. Absolutely hate engaging an enemy and having all his friend poof next to him. Keeping that mechanic restricted to a buddy system is good.

And now for the vehicles. Aren't all vehicles pickups? Even in Battlefield 4 they are pick ups; just instead of being a floating hologram they are a physical object. For all functionality it's the same thing. Since it's a hologram though it means enemies can't sabotage or otherwise steal your vehicles which means the vehicles can be placed on the front lines which means if you're going to camp for the vehicle you are in the thick of battle opposed to far back in a safe zone. Also it retains some authenticity as we won't be seeing regular stormtroopers hop into a TIE Fighter.

The only benefit I can see physical vehicle pick ups having is freeing the scenery from floating holograms, but even then there would still be the power card pick ups.

Considering I've played nearly nothing between the end of the beta and now, I hope the skill and muscle memory I squires during the beta is still intact so I can bum rush level 13 for the jump pack on release day. I took paid vacation from Tuesday to Friday, so I've got time.

adj_noun

A full out campaign or two ( as rebel or as imperial) would have blown my mind. Anyone that says SP only games dont sell need to look no further than Fall out 4.

I'm holding out hope there'll be something during the next go-round.

Considering I've played nearly nothing between the end of the beta and now, I hope the skill and muscle memory I squires during the beta is still intact so I can bum rush level 13 for the jump pack on release day. I took paid vacation from Tuesday to Friday, so I've got time.

I think you'll be fine. I'm not exactly great at this stuff and I'm at 12 at the tail end of my EA Access time. Haven't exactly been grinding it out like mad either.

Heroes vs Villains can give a LOT of points.

RoKKeR

So are screenshots and Game DVR not working yet? Thought I took some screenshots earlier today but they aren't showing up.

Also turning off the HUD in this game...my god, so beautiful. I can't believe how good it looks, on the XBO and at 60fps nonetheless. Going to be some great user films made I reckon.

Wil348

How is Walker Assault now, and how are the maps for it? This seems to be the biggest thing the game has going for it to me, and I enjoyed it in the beta (thought the balancing issues and spawns were concerning).

KingV

That surely must be a nice collection :)

I remember wanting a Tie Fighter for my dogfights as a kid, but didn't find them and my parents ended up buying some random spaceship lol.

For those talking about Star Wars toys, Bandai makes Stat Wars toys under the S.H. Figuarts brand that are glorious. I started collecting them (for my kid, obviously). They are incredibly well done (pic of Luke vs Vader in the link).

http://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/image/upload/xyzjspoktr3sm8oaz1jl.png

Crackbone

How is Walker Assault now, and how are the maps for it? This seems to be the biggest thing the game has going for it to me, and I enjoyed it in the beta (thought the balancing issues and spawns were concerning).

Ton more balanced across the board.

Rebels win all of the time. They've boxed off some area you can advance to as imperial on Hoth while uplinks are up and the areas are only accessible after the uplinks move. Feels like a good compromise.

I think WA or Supremacy will be the most popular modes. Unfortunately, there are only four maps, so it can get tedious pretty fast.

jmizzal

Is it weird that I like Blast?
I started playing it about 4 hours ago and have mainly been playing that...
Supremacy and Walker Assault are just too chaotic at times and I find myself enjoying Blast or Drop Zone far more.

Yea me too Blast and Heroes vs Villains, i'll play those until I level up my character to have a good setup. Then will jump back into those

So are screenshots and Game DVR not working yet? Thought I took some screenshots earlier today but they aren't showing up.

Also turning off the HUD in this game...my god, so beautiful. I can't believe how good it looks, on the XBO and at 60fps nonetheless. Going to be some great user films made I reckon.
Sharing is disabled until the game officially launches.

KaYotiX

Banned
Having fun with the early access but I can't help but feel this won't last if I buy the game. It already has that feeling of Titanfall or evolve.

The atmosphere and sound is freaking amazing though, they really did an amazing job!

gossi

Much more balanced now. Rebels win now, maybe a little too much!

There's only 4 maps for Walker Assault though, so I wouldn't recommend just playing that mode - you will get bored quickly (I did).

Dave_6

Started my trial last night and wound up playing at least 2 hours or so. IMO, so much fun! Played a few rounds of Blast first then played Walker Assault the rest of the time. Got up to nearly rank 6; too bad I'm actually buying it on PS4 so I'll have to start all over come Tuesday.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom