• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars Battlefront |OT| Here's Where The Fun Begins

Status
Not open for further replies.

lawnchair

Banned
People were ready for TFA content, and called it a "missed opportunity", even before the movie hit.

But I can see both sides.

Again, I'd say those people were being ridiculous, but oh well.

I like that the game we have feels very solidly OT. I love the OT. the OT is better than any other star wars shit out there (my opinion obviously).

the "missed opportunity" is probably on the business end, which I don't really care about. it seems that this game has done EXTREMELY well for EA/Dice/Disney/whatever corporate monster without including anything from TFA. they're going to have to make a sequel, after all.

it's just weird to me for people to call for content from a movie that isn't even out yet. like they've already decided that the content of said movie is great. ie they are ridiculous fanboys.

like if you're out there going "I want Finn to be a hero in Battlefront!" before you even saw TFA, you're an idiot. You haven't heard a line of dialogue come out of Finn's mouth, you know nothing about him or what he does. I mean .. come on now, that's silly

PrankT

If you guys were going to play competitive matches in the range of playercounts of 5v5 to 8v8 which modes would you like to play of the following?

Drop Zone
Droid Run
Cargo
Blast

We also plan to do a separate Heroes vs. Villains ladder, but we haven't decided on the main mode for our standard ladder yet.
Like the others said, Drop Zone and Cargo.

Again, I'd say those people were being ridiculous, but oh well.

I like that the game we have feels very solidly OT. I love the OT. the OT is better than any other star wars shit out there (my opinion obviously).

the "missed opportunity" is probably on the business end, which I don't really care about. it seems that this game has done EXTREMELY well for EA/Dice/Disney/whatever corporate monster without including anything from TFA. they're going to have to make a sequel, after all.

it's just weird to me for people to call for content from a movie that isn't even out yet. like they've already decided that the content of said movie is great. ie they are ridiculous fanboys.

like if you're out there going "I want Finn to be a hero in Battlefront!" before you even saw TFA, you're an idiot. You haven't heard a line of dialogue come out of Finn's mouth, you know nothing about him or what he does. I mean .. come on now, that's silly

You're making a lot of blanket statements here. Stop calling people idiots or ridiculous fanboys because they have a different opinion.

TFA is a part of the Star Wars universe. You don't have to see the movie to know that. The chances of one character being a stinker is great than four or ALL characters being stinkers--it's not foolish to think "I will want to play as some characters from TFA".

lawnchair

Banned
You're making a lot of blanket statements here. Stop calling people idiots or ridiculous fanboys because they have a different opinion.

TFA is a part of the Star Wars universe. You don't have to see the movie to know that. The chances of one character being a stinker is great than four or ALL characters being stinkers--it's not foolish to think "I will want to play as some characters from TFA".

i apologize for the use of the word idiot, it's early and my brain is in cranky mode or something. you can all be perfectly intelligent humans and want to play as characters you know nothing about, i just think it's silly.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
i apologize for the use of the word idiot, it's early and my brain is in cranky mode or something. you can all be perfectly intelligent humans and want to play as characters you know nothing about, i just think it's silly.
Look at the villains people are proposing. IG88, that lizard guy, Imperial guards - other than how they look they are blank slates. The general - who is not even armed.
There isn't enough content left in the original trilogy to fill out 4 DLC packs without really stretching. Map wise they are already past the majority of onscreen battles.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Another EA/Star Wars thread (the cannon one), and like clockwork, trolling, especially from thay certain someone.

It is getting really old. You can't even have a fucking discussion.

The mental gymnastics and plain 'reaching' is comical, and at the same time, sad.

Another EA/Star Wars thread (the cannon one), and like clockwork, trolling, especially from thay certain someone.

It is getting really old. You can't even have a fucking discussion.

The mental gymnastics and plain 'reaching' is comical, and at the same time, sad.

lol, next time just come in to the thread and quote me if you have a problem with what I'm saying

"people disagree with me, they're just trolling!"

It's also pretty obvious that Disney is specifically referring to Sequel Trilogy content. Which is why it's okay for Vader to be on Jakku and why we are more likely to get Rogue One content.

I put obvious trolls on my ignore list.

Oh, guilty conscious I see? Thanks for admitting that you are a troll, waiting to hop on every Battlefront thread like a broken record.

Have a nice day!
What are you even talking about man? If you really think I'm a troll just take a page from sg-17's book and ignore me instead of getting antsy every time I diss the game. I'm sorry we can't all love it like you.

Guilty conscious though? Nah.

If you want to talk about me or how I'm "trolling" just do it by username or at least do it in the threads I'm actively participating in. Comes across a little sad this way though.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
What are you even talking about man? If you really think I'm a troll just take a page from sg-17's book and ignore me instead of getting antsy every time I diss the game. I'm sorry we can't all love it like you.

Guilty conscious though? Nah.

I did not mention your name, yet you felt it was you. The cognitive dissonance is strong with you.

I did not mention your name, yet you felt it was you. The cognitive dissonance is strong with you.
"The antlered fellow", I'm not dumb.

^I'm not complaining about their opinion, they're entitled to feel how they like. I was complaining about how they're insulting me and calling me a troll instead of either ignoring me, sending a PM or quoting me.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member

^I'm not complaining about their opinion, they're entitled to feel how they like. I was complaining about how they're insulting me and calling me a troll instead of either ignoring me, sending a PM or quoting me.

Where did I say that?

Thought so.

Where did I say that?

Thought so.
In the post that I would have quoted that said it before you edited to read "handful of posters", same as sg-17 tried to slyly change it from "that specific troll" to "obvious trolls".

Come on man, don't play stupid.

Oh wait that might have just been sg again lol, either way I never said that the game would have sold poorly so I'm not sure what crow he was talking about.

Whatever, I'm out, sorry for derailing the thread for everyone else :)

My post was directed at them

;)

And yes, I saw the post "antlered fellow" as well lol

Anyway, first world problems

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
In the post that I would have quoted that said it before you edited to read "handful of posters", same as sg-17 tried to slyly change it from "that specific troll" to "obvious trolls".

Come on man, don't play stupid.

Not playing stupid. You shit up every single Battlefront thread with the same old rhetoric. You are not looking for a "discussion". Nothing screams "let's have discourse", but rather, "how many times can I repeat the same, this game sucks, over and over".

There is never a discussion, but rather a narrative to push and try to have painted as the face of each Battlefront thread. So even igoring you, the topic is still a shitshow with the pitchforks and torches drumming along. Seeing you just makes the source more discernible.

Not playing stupid. You shit up every single Battlefront thread with the same old rhetoric. You are not looking for a "discussion". Nothing screams "let's have discourse", but rather, "how many times can I repeat the same, this game sucks, over and over".

There is never a discussion, but rather a narrative to push and try to have painted as the face of each Battlefront thread. So even igoring you, the topic is still a shitshow with the pitchforks and torches drumming along. Seeing you just makes the source more discernible.
So if I'm not even the problem it seems GAF in general has a distaste for the game, so why bother going in to gaming side threads? I love Souls but side threads always shit on their fan base so I just don't bother going in to them anymore since I know my own experience with the fan base has been mostly positive.

You're just trying to beat your head against the wall here if you think the majority of GAF is going to enjoy the game. I've outlined detailed thoughts before on Battlefront yet whenever I do, I just get hit with stuff about how "it's a reboot not a sequel" or "DICE was rushed" like that somehow makes my complaints invalid?

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
That Gaf hive mind, lol. No.

You are off the rails man. Thinking way too much into it. I can't care less what the gaf majority likes or dislikes.

That Gaf hive mind, lol. No.

You are off the rails man. Thinking way too much into it. I can't care less what the gaf majority likes or dislikes.

something doesn't add up there

Anyway as far as why I think the current thread about the canon excuse is bs;

-Galaxy Heroes mixes eras
-Battlefront 2 had 2 eras and you couldn't fight against enemies from a different era except for in Mos Eisley Assault
-It's a multiplayer shooter and canon shouldn't be a concern
-There are various inconsistencies like Luke wearing his ROTJ outfit on Hoth, Vader in the Battle of Jakku etc.
-The game banked on TFA to move units and then didn't bother having TFA DLC
-Battle of Jakku DLC was hinted that there was going to be stuff beyond the Original Trilogy since Jakku was after the events of the OT and was never mentioned in the OT

Whether DICE is lying about not being able to include TFA content is irrelevant - maybe they are, maybe Disney's contractual obligations really won't allow them to. Either way it's disheartening and then a poor excuse from Disney and not DICE/EA.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Yet people just read the 'headline' and not the post.

Andrew Wilson - Electronic Arts Inc. - CEO
On the Star Wars play, just to add a little, what we have seen is that the movie or the content of the movie itself hasn't impeded the engagement
in various Star Wars games. We've seen that across console, PC, and mobile. And we would expect that as more great Star Wars films come out, we
would see more great engagement in Star Wars content more broadly -- again, not just in Battlefront, but in Star Wars: The Old Republic and our
mobile game, Galaxy of Heroes.

So after reading that. It is quite clear the first Battlefront was to focus on the OT timeline. It will seemingly build upon that in the future wether it be DLC or the sequel. It is not that hard to understand.

All they were saying, is while doing so, they have to make sure they adhere to the canon timeline. If the contract was for OT timeline only, they have to be careful not to add dead or not even born yet characters.

Obviously the game is going to bend a few rules with Jedi Luke on Hoth, that is not what the statement was referring to with "canon".

lawnchair

Banned
something doesn't add up there

Anyway as far as why I think the current thread about the canon excuse is bs;

-Galaxy Heroes mixes eras
-Battlefront 2 had 2 eras and you couldn't fight against enemies from a different era except for in Mos Eisley Assault
-It's a multiplayer shooter and canon shouldn't be a concern
-There are various inconsistencies like Luke wearing his ROTJ outfit on Hoth, Vader in the Battle of Jakku etc.
-The game banked on TFA to move units and then didn't bother having TFA DLC
-Battle of Jakku DLC was hinted that there was going to be stuff beyond the Original Trilogy since Jakku was after the events of the OT and was never mentioned in the OT

Whatever excuses they have made, I'm personally pleased that Battlefront has mostly adhered to the OT timeline. For me the OT era is the best era, so attempting to keep the game within those confines makes me happy. I don't want other eras mixed in. There are the canon issues like Luke in ROTJ garb on Hoth, sure, but they don't really bother me. Why? I like Luke Skywalker. I grew up wanting to be Luke Skywalker (i'm of a certain age). I don't have any particular affinity for Kylo Ren. Is it a little jolting and ridiculous to see the Emperor running around zapping people on Hoth? Sure, but it's still THE FUCKING EMPEROR. it's cool, it's fun, it's all characters and locations that I grew up loving. Jakku is obviously the odd thing out, here, but it doesn't really bother me - it's a big sand map (might as well be tattooine) with OT star destroyers and AT ATs and shit crashed on it. I'm fine with that, as it instantly makes me think "OT Star Wars". If they stuck in a map with grassy hills with gungan dinosaurs walking around and crashed trade federations tanks lying around, I'd be bummed, because I associate those things with shitty Star Wars.

TLDR; whatever their excuses for sticking to OT locals, characters, and ships may be .. I'm happy that that's what they're doing with this game. Save the other stuff for a different game.

So if I'm not even the problem it seems GAF in general has a distaste for the game, so why bother going in to gaming side threads? I love Souls but side threads always shit on their fan base so I just don't bother going in to them anymore since I know my own experience with the fan base has been mostly positive.

So... you hate it when it's done to your favorite series, but you'll gladly be part of the problem for other games?

I'm glad we've cleared that up.

Yet people just read the 'headline' and not the post.

So after reading that. It is quite clear the first Battlefront was to focus on the OT timeline. It will seemingly build upon that in the future wether it be DLC or the sequel. It is not that hard to understand.

All they were saying, is while doing so, they have to make sure they adhere to the canon timeline. If the contract was for OT timeline only, they have to be careful not to add dead or not even born yet characters.

Obviously the game is going to bend a few rules with Jedi Luke on Hoth, that is not what the statement was referring to with "canon".
That still doesn't explain how Galaxy of Heroes can include multiple eras and Battlefront can't though.

Darth Smurf X said:
So... you hate it when it's done to your favorite series, but you'll gladly be part of the problem for other games?

I never said it was my favorite series and yeah I think calling out a fanbase is different than criticizing the game itself. People's problems with the game are outlined so often yet constantly you get people who like it shitting on their opinions just as much as the other way around evidenced by the fact that I get called a troll for disliking the game.

And there's a difference between "I disagree with a good amount of gaming-side on this issue, therefore I don't go in to threads that deal with it and stick to the community threads" and "I disagree with a good amount of gaming-side on this issue, therefore I go in to the threads and then come back and whine how they have different opinions than I do"

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
That still doesn't explain how Galaxy of Heroes can include multiple eras and Battlefront can't though.

Yes it does. CONTRACTS.

Every game contract is different. And they already mentioned the differences with mobile licensing versus console in that report.

Ironic, eh?

Yes it does. CONTRACTS.

Every game contract is different. And they already mentioned the differences with mobile licensing versus console in that report.

What's the difference between mobile licensing and console licensing? The only thing I saw is that they said their mobile portfolio has a long lifespan

As we think about mobile, just to add to Blake's point, I think he is absolutely right. The one other thing that we would point to is as we look at our
mobile portfolio, our titles typically have very long lifespans. The Sims FreePlay, The Simpsons Tapped Out, Real Racing 3 have continued to grow
over a number of years.

So instead of continuing to grow Battlefront, they're just gonna create a brand new $60 + $50 game to add the TFA timeline? And sure you can make the case that Jakku is in the original trilogy timeline but you'd be wrong. It wasn't mentioned in the original trilogy whatsoever and was first referenced in TFA.

Sequels, how do they work?

Where is the quote that shows they can't add TFA content to BF3 because of contractual obligations?

As of right now you're agreeing with me that they're holding off on TFA content to put in a new game instead of adding it in this game. Thanks for proving me right!

I never said it was my favorite series and yeah I think calling out a fanbase is different than criticizing the game itself. People's problems with the game are outlined so often yet constantly you get people who like it shitting on their opinions just as much as the other way around evidenced by the fact that I get called a troll for disliking the game.

I think you get called a troll, not for disliking the game, but for posting that you dislike the game in every. single. Battlefront. thread.

I don't like Call of Duty games, so I don't even click on threads with that name in the title. And if I do, I certainly don't post about how much I hate them.

We get it. You hate Battlefront. Move on with your life. That game STILL isn't for you despite the patch, so maybe move on to annoying a new crowd of gamers. The Witness just came out and is $40. Have fun.

lawnchair

Banned
just by chance I was looking at some Battlefield 2 footage this morning .. guy playing as a trade federationd roid running around shooting gungans. i almost threw up in my mouth

Battlefront is leaps and bounds ahead of the old games in a lot of ways.

just by chance I was looking at some Battlefield 2 footage this morning .. guy playing as a trade federationd roid running around shooting gungans. i almost threw up in my mouth

Battlefront is leaps and bounds ahead of the old games in a lot of ways.

Are you insinuating you don't wanna genocide gungans? ;)

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Where is the quote that shows they can't add TFA content to BF3 because of contractual obligations?

As of right now you're agreeing with me that they're holding off on TFA content to put in a new game instead of adding it in this game. Thanks for proving me right!

It was right there bolded.

this is part of our arrangement with Lucas and Disney, is you can't make a game in Star Wars that violates the canon of Star Wars. Meaning,
you can take something from the future and bring it back into the past unless it's a reference.
Not knowing yet exactly what the storyline in Rogue One is going to be, I can't comment on how that could come in. But to the extent that it's in
the future around our current Battlefront game is all paced based on the historical Star Wars canon, which is 30 years before the most recent movie.
That will limit our ability to bring some new content into that.

And it is not Battlefront 3. It is a reboot.

He spells out that Battlefront is based on historical OT canon per their agreement. Other games have their own agreements.

I think you get called a troll, not for disliking the game, but for posting that you dislike the game in every. single. Battlefront. thread.

I don't like Call of Duty games, so I don't even click on threads with that name in the title. And if I do, I certainly don't post about how much I hate them.

We get it. You hate Battlefront. Move on with your life. That game STILL isn't for you despite the patch, so maybe move on to annoying a new crowd of gamers. The Witness just came out and is $40. Have fun.

I always get a bit of a school ground vibe when I go into a Battlefont thread. It's like boys teasing the girls they're secretly in love with.

Is there any solution at all for why Battlefront stopped finding matches for me? All my other games work fine on PC.

There was a port forwarding guide for BF posted on the Battlefront reddit.

Helped people out.

I know my friend got rid of his lag with the game.

I'm at work atm, so I can't link it, but if you can't find it, I'll PM you a link in the next few hours.

Started the game for the first time in 2 weeks after a lenghty DA:I induced hiatus and have discovered the DH17. This gun is absolutely magnificent and versatile in Cargo and other small modes. Every game I rolled with it netted me at least second place.

Also, has there been an influx of new players on the PS4 or is it just the old people returning for the update? Even with the gun being so good I feel like I'm swatting a lot of players with zero effort. And I'm not even that good to begin with.

Started the game for the first time in 2 weeks after a lenghty DA:I induced hiatus and have discovered the DH17. This gun is absolutely magnificent and versatile in Cargo and other small modes. Every game I rolled with it netted me at least second place.

Also, has there been an influx of new players on the PS4 or is it just the old people returning for the update? Even with the gun being so good I feel like I'm swatting a lot of players with zero effort. And I'm not even that good to begin with.

Not sure. Ive been playing a lot of the smaller modes lately and I usually do pretty damn well to amazing. I jumped into a few rounds of Walker Assault last night and got my ass whooped.

Could be the more skilled players are sticking to the larger modes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom