• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars Battlefront |OT| Here's Where The Fun Begins

Status
Not open for further replies.

PrankT

They should buff Survivalist so that a pulse canon shot doesn't take 100 hp. That way bodyguard reduces explosives, survivalist reduces snipers, scout and bounty hunter remain as-is. Sharpshooter needs a complete overhaul.

lawnchair

Banned
They really need to add team balancing. No point in staying in a lobby when you lose two games in a row, you'll just keep losing.

you just have to start winning!

Fighter Squadron so makes me yearn for a full fledged star wars flying game .. they could do so many incredible things. Fighter Squadron mostly feels like a fun mini-game to me. I'm glad it's there, but man if they fully concentrated on flying, the things they could do! ah well, probably never happen.

PrankT

Its really fun when you and your partner are the only ones trying to push forward in Supremacy while everyone else is content to lose and reenact WW1.
Love supremacy; I'll shoot you a friend request. If anyone in this thread needs someone to play with on ps4, my psn is PrankT. Feel free to send a request. I don't talk much on the microphone since my kids are usually sleeping, but it's still nice to play with people.

Xzan

I find Cooling Cell to be worthless really.
If you shoot well enough, your weapon won't really overheat unless you're in an extended combat... but such things are rare in my experience.
T-21 is too slow for spamming battles, you must be a good shot (or your enemies must be bad) to win really.

Focus fire? Shot pacing takes care of most recoil for most weapons. Useful for faster weapons for sure but not sure it is really worth it, as with faster weapons you will want to play up close and personal anyway (IMO).

Explosive Shot, Ion shot, Personal Shield and Scan Pulse offer far more utility than the other two charges in general.
Explosive Shot is good vs heroes, and frankly annoyingly good with some weapons (A280C).
Ion Shot is good in bigger modes, as it kills droids and turrets, can be used to shoot down aircraft, and it can even finish off AT-STs in a pinch. A team-players choice, i think.
While i don't care one bit for Personal Shield due to its drawbacks (inability to shoot), i will admit it has great value in right situations, such as activating or shutting down Y-Wing uplinks.
Scan Pulse is useful as it reveals people to everyone (right?), though i find it mostly pointless for soloing as some situational awareness and careful approach can be used to avoid ambushes or to find people.

I wish there was a charge card that doubles the speed of blaster bolts. But perhaps such thing might be too good.

I used to think Cooling Cell was pointless but, along with Focus Fire, experimentation since the patch has lead me to change my tune.

Explosive Shot's benefits are obvious: more damage per shot, small splash damage with big yellow bolts that go *BANG*. Its hard to go past and was my go-to card pre-patch. The BF page on Symthic has been updated with the latest patch information which includes some interesting wording:

Turns weapon's blasts into explosive ones. Bullet's explosion does 10dmg to 0.5m which fades to zero at 1m. Cooldown: 20s. Active time: 5s
  • EE-3 - Blast damage is 4. Bullet max damage 20 and min damage 10.
  • SE-14C - Blast damage is 5.
I'm not sure how to interpret the bolded. Is it stating that the EE-3 goes from 21-12 base damage to 24-14 explosive damage? There's too many unknowns to be sure but based on the available info, the A280C or DH-17 should be the optimal Explosive Shot choices.

Focus Fire is an indirect DPS increase because the improved accuracy effectively increases your fire rate to the maximum of the weapon with no loss in performance due to inaccuracy, there's no need to pace your shots. It also extends the effective range of your weapon. The benefit will depend on the weapon and the engagement range but its appreciable. I'm on PS4, so the benefits will probably be less obvious on PC.

Cooling Cell functions provides an indirect DPS boost in a similar way. For example, the EE-3 can put out a LOT of damage in a short time if your trigger timing is good enough but it'll overheat rapidly. That means you need to get to cover or risk a 'reload' while it cools. With Cooling Cell, you gain at least 2-3 bursts for free which, if you're accurate, is at least one kill. It's situational with a more subtle benefit than a direct damage boost. Like Focus Fire, blaster fire engagements may last longer on console compared to PC, so the benefits may be more noticeable to me.

Personal Shield is obvious: 9s of semi-invulnerability. Its good for escapes and capping objectives. I'm considering trying to use it more aggressively with the Cycler Rifle and/or grenades. Its just a pity you can't cancel it early.

Ion Shot is definitely the teamplayer's choice. It shreds turrets, droids and fighters, and provides a marginal boost against AT-AT's and AT-ST's. I don't think the 50% damage reduction against organics is worth the trade-off though, so I really only carry in a secondary hand to kill turrets, if at all.

Scan Pulse I don't like carrying. Its too much of a crutch that, once I got used to it, I'd be over reliant on it. I don't mind it on Endor but whenever I carry it I go through charges like candy. For reference, Scan Pulse will provide a benefit to you and your partner only. I don't think it extends to party members but I could be wrong.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I used to think Cooling Cell was pointless but, along with Focus Fire, experimentation since the patch has lead me to change my tune.

Explosive Shot's benefits are obvious: more damage per shot, small splash damage with big yellow bolts that go *BANG*. Its hard to go past and was my go-to card pre-patch. The BF page on Symthic has been updated with the latest patch information which includes some interesting wording:

Turns weapon's blasts into explosive ones. Bullet's explosion does 10dmg to 0.5m which fades to zero at 1m. Cooldown: 20s. Active time: 5s
  • EE-3 - Blast damage is 4. Bullet max damage 20 and min damage 10.
  • SE-14C - Blast damage is 5.
I'm not sure how to interpret the bolded. Is it stating that the EE-3 goes from 21-12 base damage to 24-14 explosive damage? There's too many unknowns to be sure but based on the available info, the A280C or DH-17 should be the optimal Explosive Shot choices.

Focus Fire is an indirect DPS increase because the improved accuracy effectively increases your fire rate to the maximum of the weapon with no loss in performance due to inaccuracy, there's no need to pace your shots. It also extends the effective range of your weapon. The benefit will depend on the weapon and the engagement range but its appreciable. I'm on PS4, so the benefits will probably be less obvious on PC.

Cooling Cell functions provides an indirect DPS boost in a similar way. For example, the EE-3 can put out a LOT of damage in a short time if your trigger timing is good enough but it'll overheat rapidly. That means you need to get to cover or risk a 'reload' while it cools. With Cooling Cell, you gain at least 2-3 bursts for free which, if you're accurate, is at least one kill. It's situational with a more subtle benefit than a direct damage boost. Like Focus Fire, blaster fire engagements may last longer on console compared to PC, so the benefits may be more noticeable to me.

Personal Shield is obvious: 9s of semi-invulnerability. Its good for escapes and capping objectives. I'm considering trying to use it more aggressively with the Cycler Rifle and/or grenades. Its just a pity you can't cancel it early.

Ion Shot is definitely the teamplayer's choice. It shreds turrets, droids and fighters, and provides a marginal boost against AT-AT's and AT-ST's. I don't think the 50% damage reduction against organics is worth the trade-off though, so I really only carry in a secondary hand to kill turrets, if at all.

Scan Pulse I don't like carrying. Its too much of a crutch that, once I got used to it, I'd be over reliant on it. I don't mind it on Endor but whenever I carry it I go through charges like candy. For reference, Scan Pulse will provide a benefit to you and your partner only. I don't think it extends to party members but I could be wrong.

Great rundown. Pretty much agree on all assessments. I have been liking focus fire more as well since the patch. Just wish it activated when you fired like Explosive Shot does. But I will still bounce between the two depending on the map.

I think for the EE-3, it means no matter what, the max damage will be 20 (hard capped), and min 10. If you hit 17 for example, blast will only give 3 and not 4 at .5m.

EDIT: I take that back about the Focus Fire. It doesn't start the timer until you sboot, just like Explosive Shot. The chromatic aberration when you hit it through me off.

pots555

Well, 60 hours in and I had not played a single game in Walker Assault. I got the objective to win 3 games in it and gave it a shot. Wow! I did not know what I was missing. This mode is very impressive and intense to play. I love all the maps and I prefer to play as the Empire. So satisfying to blow that ship up at the end.

This will now be my main mode for the coming weeks. Only now do I realise that I have not played the bigger modes long enough.

patchday

My team mate last night made me drop the controller in laughter, his reaction to me here implies he's really seen some shit against villains or heroes.

u5IKwCk.gif

lol

Well, 60 hours in and I had not played a single game in Walker Assault. I got the objective to win 3 games in it and gave it a shot. Wow! I did not know what I was missing. This mode is very impressive and intense to play. I love all the maps and I prefer to play as the Empire. So satisfying to blow that ship up at the end.

This will now be my main mode for the coming weeks. Only now do I realise that I have not played the bigger modes long enough.

Definitely the best mode to play for the feeling of contributing to the greater goal by crushing the competition. Balancing issues aside this is probably the mode I have spent the most time in overall even though I've taken a liking to supremacy more now.

Wow 60 hours and no WA?

Why was that?

Xzan

Great rundown. Pretty much agree on all assessments. I have been liking focus fire more as well since the patch. Just wish it activated when you fired like Explosive Shot does. But I will still bounce between the two depending on the map.

I think for the EE-3, it means no matter what, the max damage will be 20 (hard capped), and min 10. If you hit 17 for example, blast will only give 3 and not 4 at .5m.

EDIT: I take that back about the Focus Fire. It doesn't start the timer until you sboot, just like Explosive Shot. The chromatic aberration when you hit it through me off.

Yep, all the weapon buff cards are only triggered when you fire. The chromatic aberration effect of Focus Fire was a little off-putting at first but now I barely notice it.

Scaling blast damage? Perhaps, it'd be an interesting way to handle it.

Do we have any indication on when the feb. Update will launch? Cant wait for turning point on all locations

It should be in certification now and there aren't any holidays to extend that process by two weeks. So hopefully by the middle of February. I know, I can't wait for Turning Point on all maps.

Really enjoy using the cycler rifle again, totally redeemed after the patch.
Feels really good to headshot someone from across the map and it's actually pretty good at close range as well, almost like a shotgun.
Also seeing a lot of variation in loadouts after the patch.

Feels really good to headshot someone from across the map and it's actually pretty good at close range as well, almost like a shotgun.

Yeah same here

Seen like 7 or 8 DL-44s in the last few days.

CD'S BAR

Can someone please clarify for me how droid run works. I get that it's not cumulative time controlling the droids that wins, but I've had several matches where my team has all 3 droids claimed when the timer expires, but then the matches goes on with the time at 00:00, just long enough for the other time to conveniently reclaim some droids and then they win. It's fucking bullshit.

PrankT

Can someone please clarify for me how droid run works. I get that it's not cumulative time controlling the droids that wins, but I've had several matches where my team has all 3 droids claimed when the timer expires, but then the matches goes on with the time at 00:00, just long enough for the other time to conveniently reclaim some droids and then they win. It's fucking bullshit.
The other team was probably capturing 2 of the droids, so the game continues until the capture or recapture process is complete. The game ends if you ever fully have all 3 droids.

CD'S BAR

The other team was probably capturing 2 of the droids, so the game continues until the capture or recapture process is complete. The game ends if you ever fully have all 3 droids.

okay, so if a capture in progress is as good as a completed capture, then why have a progress bar at all?

PrankT

okay, so if a capture in progress is as good as a completed capture, then why have a progress bar at all?
It's not as good, the game just waits to see if the capture goes through. If you or your teammates stop it then the game is over. It's like the extra time in soccer; a bit goofy but different enough to keep it exciting.

MMarston

Was getting caught part of your plan?
When you have good teammates Supremacy is the best.

My best match yet was playing a 30 minute one (yes 30) on Tattooine as Imperials and managed to make a stunning comeback when our last point was about to get captured. After that, total wipeout of Rebels

CD'S BAR

It's not as good, the game just waits to see if the capture goes through. If you or your teammates stop it then the game is over. It's like the extra time in soccer; a bit goofy but different enough to keep it exciting.

not sure if i like it, but thank you for the info.

on a side note, i wish they would add a non-team deathmatch.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member

Agreed about the Cycler. May keep it, and it definitely takes a level of skills to use. I still need to get used to the drop.

Pulse on there other hand. That seems to be the new Homing Shot flavor. I seen it a lot before, but maybe it sticks out more because of less HS flying around. Far less skill to use that Cycler.

Also agree on the variations. A lot of different builds running around. That shallow gameplay tho.

Woorloog

Banned
Does anyone here use the Scout Pistol?
It isn't really useful but man it is kind of cool and fun. Surprise!
It does have some use with the Ion Shot as the Ion Shot reduces damage vs people, so i can kill someone while waiting for the Ion Shot to wear off.
It should probably get a bit more range, less damage drop-off.

PrankT

It does have some use with the Ion Shot as the Ion Shot reduces damage vs people, so i can kill someone while waiting for the Ion Shot to wear off.
Interesting combo, I'll give it a shot later.

5taquitos

Scout Pistol + CA87 with Scout trait on the Hoth Ice Caves Tears. Shit. Up.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member

I used it on smaller maps in modes like Blast when the game first came out. It packed a punch running around and hitting someone up close. Usually resulted in super fast kills.

Woorloog

Banned
I used it on smaller maps in modes like Blast when the game first came out. It packed a punch running around and hitting someone up close. Usually resulted in super fast kills.

It seems to deal 50 damage per bolt and fires two shots. A single head shot kills with it. Unfortunately, it loses damage over range very quickly.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
It seems to deal 50 damage per bolt and fires two shots. A single head shot kills with it. Unfortunately, it loses damage over range very quickly.

Yeah, kinda good though, it wold be overkill, lol.

On a side note, was just playing this over the Internet on my Vita whIle I am at my office. Turning Point. It controls and is button mapped really well. Surprised I did not do too bad. Ran so smooth.

Killing Rebel Scum on a Vita felt even more gratifying due to the slight handicap compared to a controller and larger screen.

Ozorov

YYYYYYYYYYYYYYYEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!

I like the Y-Wing.

just a rumor I snapped up via Battlefrontupdates so don't read into it so much yet :).

But atleast it's listed in the companion app under "Vehicles kills" aka vehicles you're controlling and killed an enemy with.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Dunno if this has been posted yet but it looks like we might get playable Y-wings/power-up.

just a rumor I snapped up via Battlefrontupdates so don't read into it so much yet :).

But atleast it's listed in the companion app under "Vehicles kills" aka vehicles you're controlling and killed an enemy with.

I noticed and thought that too. However it seems to say '9' for me. So I assume it is how many I killed lol.

Ozorov

I noticed and thought that too. However it seems to say '9' for me. So I assume it is how many I killed lol.

All the listed vehicle under "Vehicles kills" is how many kills you got while controlling them. I guess the Y-Wing-one can be bugged yet :). It's listed as "0" for me.

Woorloog

Banned
I have zero kills with Y-wings. I know for sure i have shot down multiple of them, so it cannot be telling how many Y-wings one has killed.

46 kills with... something? Has no name.

I also have over 1000 kills total with the Rebel fighters, 1200+ if the Snowspeeder is counted. Another 300 with Imperial fighters.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Well, whatever, the Y-wing should be a playable vehicle.
Such a lovely junk fighter.

I am sure it will be. It is listed as a vehicle for how many kills with it. Also, the '9' was below the Y-Wing, my bad. Now it says 13 after playing last night. So I got 4 more kills with something I do not know what, yet listed under Vehicles.

iDFjadN.jpg

Ozorov

I am sure it will be. It is listed as a vehicle for how many kills with it. Also, the '9' was below the Y-Wing, my bad. Now it says 13 after playing last night. So I got 4 more kills with something I do not know what, yet listed under Vehicles.

iDFjadN.jpg

You guys know you can see all your "Companion app"-things on their website aswell, right?

I know a lot of people that don't know that :)

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I think it is the Orbital Strike, since the numbers match for me. Do they match for anyone else?

And I did get 4 kills with one last night in a quick game. That would be up to 13 from the previous 9 before it.

If not, that is some coincidence, lol.

Ozorov

I think it is the Orbital Strike, since the numbers match for me. Do they match for anyone else?

And I did get 4 kills with one last night in a quick game. That would be up to 13 from the previous 9 before it.

If not, that is some coincidence, lol.

Orbital strike is listed under "Star Card Kills" and the numbers doesnt match for me

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom