• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars Battlefront |OT| Here's Where The Fun Begins

Status
Not open for further replies.

frontovik

Banned
I'm not an avid Star Wars fan, but the game looks fun. Therefore, I might get this on PC, but I'm going to wait for player/critic reviews first.

I'm really trying to enjoy this game on PC.. I feel like I cannot kill any thing. I'm still fairly new to PC gaming but I do really well in BF4 but man I just cannot get kills in this game. I don't know what it is..Thinking of seeing if I can get a refund on origin and just getting the PS4 version.

I'm actually having the same experience. Can't kill a thing plus it doesn't help that the only populated game mode is team death match since it's not out. I ended up going halfsies on the PS4 version with my brother. I'm pretty sure you'll get your refund as long as I you bought it from Origin. The game does look gorgeous when maxed out though.

I'm actually having the same experience. Can't kill a thing plus it doesn't help that the only populated game mode is team death match since it's not out. I ended up going halfsies on the PS4 version with my brother. I'm pretty sure you'll get your refund as long as I you bought it from Origin. The game does look gorgeous when maxed out though.

I can't even request a refund on origin :l...I'd like to refund it first before I buy the PS4 version.

CSJ

So has anyone found a way to easily play this game with more than one friend without trying to land in the same lobby after a million attempts?

Please tell me they fixed that in release?
They've made like 10 games which progressively get worse at playing with the people you want.

Ok just two more for the new page and that'll be that. Save the rest for when the game is out proper. Suffice it to say the Endor maps look astounding.
22456752323_ac3a24f4fb_o.png
22659562518_edf004dd7b_o.png

Shenmue

Banned
Anyone know if Best Buy is doing anything special for the launch? Heading there in 2 and a half hours!

Oh yeah for anyone to cares, lots of Gamestops have gotten the actual game in their PS4 demo stations already. I'm talking about the full game so you can try all the single player modes. My local one has had it since the weekend for some reason.

THERE ARE A LOT OF MODES OMG

Carm

Anyone preorder from Best Buy online and their game not ship yet? Placed the order on the 9th, charge stayed on my card till last night, then disappeared. It has been preparing to ship since Friday. I emailed CS today and their response wasn't encouraging, stating I'll be charged after I receive the item, no answer as to why it hasn't shipped yet.

is anyone still getting kills that count towards the xbox one challenge for getting 500 kills in the EA access trial? I think it stopped counting for me, was trying to get it before release

Vire

I agree that this game is lacking in content, but do we just review games by the amount of shit stuffed in it now? Figures why Fallout still got great reviews despite the mountain list of issues with the game.

AdanVC

Ok just two more for the new page and that'll be that. Save the rest for when the game is out proper. Suffice it to say the Endor maps look astounding.

Jesuschrist........ I spend like 3 minutes watching both screenshots. Simply outstanding realism. It also has that Star Wars feeling don't know how to explain it. It definitely doesn't look like an average FPS. Just wow. Are this PS4 shots??

Edit: I just saw more screenshots on the last page. No noo I cannot believe those are screenshots from the final game. They have to be bullshots lakjshiouhoiauhdslakjnsd *cries because doesn't have a PC or PS4 to play this* *Throws Wii U through window*

I agree that this game is lacking in content, but do we just review games by the amount of shit stuffed in it now? Figures why Fallout still got great reviews despite the mountain list of issues with the game.

ehh, so far most the reviews I have seen are critical of the gameplay in addition to the amount of content. Keep saying that the spectacle is great...at first.

Then again I am having a great time and cant wait for more, but I dont see reviews scoring it low only based on quantity of content.

Yeah? What is a game without anything to do?

I agree that there is some very hypocritical shit going on with other AAA games (especially Bethesda games), but still, quality and quantity of content is an important consideration for a game review. I mean, did you play Destiny or Evolve?

Jesuschrist........ I spend like 3 minutes watching both screenshots. Simply outstanding realism. It also has that Star Wars feeling don't know how to explain it. It definitely doesn't look like an average FPS. Just wow. Are this PS4 shots??

No those are PC shots downsampled from 4k, basically to alleviate any image quality issues. The art and framerate is so good though I don't think it matters much what platform you are on.

DOWN

Banned
How come so many people are not mentioning the Jakku maps? Sounds like they just want to make the gap between the base offering and season pass sound bigger?

Vire

ehh, so far most the reviews I have seen are critical of the gameplay in addition to the amount of content. Keep saying that the spectacle is great...at first.

Then again I am having a great time and cant wait for more, but I dont see reviews scoring it low only based on quantity of content.

That's fair, I just think there's room for more casual based shooters.

I mean, yeah? What is a game without anything to do?

I agree that there is some very hypocritical shit going on with other AAA games (especially Bethesda games), but still, quality and quantity of content is an important consideration for a game review. I mean, did you play Destiny or Evolve?
I realize that that, my point was that it's just frustrating how some games just completely get a free pass on major critical issues because of big brand names or imposing publishers. Especially Fallout...

You can throw a whole bunch of shit in Black Ops 3, but that doesn't stop the campaign from still being a complete and utter train wreck. I rather have less content executed well than a whole bunch of shit created specifically to waste my time and increase play times.

Battlefront should have more maps though, period. So I'm in agreement on that front.

How come so many people are not mentioning the Jakku maps? Sounds like they just want to make the gap between the base offering and season pass sound bigger?

Well, we don't know exactly what is included (4 maps =/= 4 maps for all modes) AND it's not day 1 unless you preorder, right?

So the base offering is being reviewed, alone, as it should be. Sheeeeit, I tweeted EAStarWars earlier, asking if they could just tell us the makeup of the map count, because that's my sole barrier, basically.

I realize that that, my point was that it's just frustrating how some games just completely get a free pass on major critical issues because of big brand names or imposing publishers. Especially Fallour...

You can throw a whole bunch of shit in Black Ops 3, but that doesn't stop the campaign from still being a complete and utter train wreck. I rather have less content executed well than a whole bunch of shit created specifically to waste my time and increase play times.

Agreed on the first point. Battlefront is likely being singled out because it's very easy to get a quick assessment of the content--there is no SP and everything else is (for better or worse) transparently "there". With games like Fallout, I feel like its scope gives it more leeway in the media's eye, because of its scale and ambition.

As for your second point, I don't know. I think Battlefront gets a +1 letter grade in the eyes of fans because it is such a perfect and faithful recreation of the franchise, that the immersion alone is a (rightfully) critical factor. Take any of the mediocre Battlefield SP campaigns, dress it faithfully in a Star Wars universe, and a ton of players would enjoy it--myself included.

I probably sound all over the place, but that's my core Star Wars fandom battling my sense as a consumer.

ryseing

It's not a bad score, but nowadays with the average high scores reviewers give to games it actually is a really bad score. If it stays around 7, that means it is in the same category as games like Zombi, Just Dance, Mad Max, Ride, Grow Home, etc.

That's just not fair.

While I admit that content wise it could have been better, it is really not that light on content.

If you compare the game with the most recent shooter, Call of Duty: Black Ops III:
- They both have 12 maps, Battlefront has even 14 in two weeks
- Yes Black Ops III has more weapons, but it's not that all the weapons feel so different. If the game had 15 weapons instead of 40, you would barely notice it. And still, how much variety do people expect from 'laser weapons'?

And please don't come talking that black ops III has a zombie mode (that's only 1 map...) or the terrible singleplayer campaign.

And ow yeah the upcoming Rainbow Six Siege has if I am not mistaken 11 maps and not a decent singleplayer campaign. Will people also complain about the lack of content with that game?

Battlefront isn't going to be a multiplayer game that you play hundreds of hours, but it still provides fun for dozens of hours, even without the DLC. I also don't get why Battlefront gets an bad score because of content, but a singleplayer only game with 8 to 10 hours of gameplay gets a free pass and great score.

The main modes in Battlefront only have four maps.

Black Ops 3's weapons do feel drastically different. There's a huge difference in feel between the assault rifles, never mind the snipers, SMGs, LMGs, and shotguns. From what I played of Battlefront's beta, the only really "different" weapon was the LMG type.

That "terrible" single player campaign is actually pretty good, plus you can play it in splitscreen/4P online coop, as well as replay each level with differing abilities and loadouts. The zombies map, while not great, is a decent size. There's also a bunch of bonus content with Dead Ops and the freerun stuff. So yeah, I wouldn't use Blops 3 as your measuring stick here for content, as that's asinine. It has the most varied content in a day one $60 package that we've seen in a while.

I've been upset with Ubisoft since we learned how much content R6 was going to have.

MP games and SP games have inherently different values when it comes to content. I'll happily pay $60 for 8-10 hours of great gameplay that doesn't overstay its welcome. For an MP only game that I'm going to hopefully play for 20-30 hours, there needs to be enough variety to keep things fresh.

There is nothing wrong with criticizing Battlefront for its lack of content, as it doesn't meet the standard set in 2015 set by its competition that came out a week and a half ago.

And it isn't just the lack of maps and guns. The ACG review called out Battlefront for the shallow GAMEPLAY experience. That is a problem. The movement system, for example. Why is the only movement addition locked behind a level 13 star card? Movement drastically changes the way the game is played by offering different paths through maps. That's why I didn't have as much of an issue with Titanfall's lack of content- the jetpack stuff and titans offered a fresh gameplay experience that ensured no match would ever play the same.

All that being said, my DE is in the mail (had to have that box art). I'll buy the season pass once the planets are announced (Coruscant please). I made my peace with the lack of content because I love the franchise. But it's more than fair for reviewers to point out said lack of content for others who don't have the same love of Star Wars that I do and want to know how Battlefront holds up as a multiplayer shooter.

AdanVC

No those are PC shots downsampled from 4k, basically to alleviate any image quality issues. The art and framerate is so good though I don't think it matters much what platform you are on.

And at 60 fps??? Wow just wow. Gotta start saving for dem PC goodness to join the force with this game hah.

the210

Anyone preorder from Best Buy online and their game not ship yet? Placed the order on the 9th, charge stayed on my card till last night, then disappeared. It has been preparing to ship since Friday. I emailed CS today and their response wasn't encouraging, stating I'll be charged after I receive the item, no answer as to why it hasn't shipped yet.

The last game I ordered from Best Buy was fallout. I knew I ordered it to late to get it at launch but the shipping time was ridiculous. It was preparing to ship a few days. Once it supposedly shipped it was actually awaiting pick up from ups for an additional 2-3 days. It meet the promised delivery date but I can't help but think they delayed the shipment just to punish me for not choosing express shipping

Jakku does not come out until December 1 from what I understand.

7 days early access for those who pre-order Star Wars™ Battlefront™

Available as a free† download to all players on December 8th, 2015

Vire

I think one of the bigger problems with the game is the fact that the game limits a significant amount of maps to game modes that aren't particularly good.

Meaning... if you like Walker Assault (the star of the show), you are stuck with literally only four maps.

Woorloog

Banned
I think one of the bigger problems with the game is the fact that the game limits a significant amount of maps to game modes that aren't particularly good.

Meaning if you only like Walker Assault, you are stuck with literally only four maps.

Aren't the maps made for modes? Meaning a Walker Assault map is unlikely to be good for Supremacy and so on.

(Are there any shared maps?)

LowParry

That reminds me. Hoth in the beta had annoying respawns with ships and the place you could jetpack up over the base entrance. Those been fixed/addressed?

Meaning... if you like Walker Assault (the star of the show), you are stuck with literally only four maps.
And 2 of them suck

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom