• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars Battlefront |OT| Here's Where The Fun Begins

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just stopped playing, started about 30 minutes after launch. Kind of feel like I've seen everything I wanted to TBH. Walked Assault is essentially the only consistently good mode, and there's not nearly enough maps to keep it interesting.

I'm super conflicted about everything TBH. The experience at its core is incredible, but there's almost no reason to come back to it.
Feeling the exact opposite myself. Enjoying all the modes. It's kinda refreshing coming from Overwatch (a game I've been playing a ton of) and its two modes.

The only mode I don't like is the starfighter one. Only cause I can't pilot. I'm having fun in them all, hell I played the beta from start to finish and that was only one mode/map.

Feeling the exact opposite myself. Enjoying all the modes. It's kinda refreshing coming from Overwatch (a game I've been playing a ton of) and its two modes.

The only mode I don't like is the starfighter one. Only cause I can't pilot. I'm having fun in them all, hell I played the beta from start to finish and that was only one mode/map.

It might not help that I played about 20 hours of the beta. I don't really want to see Hoth again for a while.

Impulsor

Endor (Walker Assault) is such a bullshit map as Imperials. Rebels don't even have to try to win it.

In the beta Hoth was one sided to the Imps as it could be, really hard to win as rebels. Now in the final game I feel its pretty much the other way around in every map.

Winning as Imps has not happened for me yet in AT-AT Assault, in any map.

Khasim

Never ever have I been so disappointed in a game I was looking forward. Game sounds awesome and looks great but it plays like shit, are people enjoying this on pc?

Tried all supremacy maps now and it fucking blows. Huge meatgrinder spawn and die in an instant with everyone running around like a headless chicken.
Dunno if I should consider a refund considering I bought the game with VPN trick. :(

Is this your first online game at launch? It always happens. Hardcores obliterate the casuals and newbies because the latter lack experience and skill, after some time everyone knows the tricks and tactics for each map and then it's just a matter of who plays better. It's always like that.

I don't know if it's a matter of region, I'm in Poland and I never experienced spawn camping, only occasional team imbalance (20 vs 15 in Walker Assault) and sometimes a huge skill gap between teams. I lost some Rogue Squadron games 200 to less than 100 because nobody attacked the damn carrier nor the hero ships. It's infuriating when you try to take them down on your own, they have waaaaay too much health.

I do admit that I haven't tried Supremacy yet. Have you tried WA? I find it really enjoyable, especially on Hoth and Sullust, not so much on Endor and Tatooine (too many tight spaces).

cripterion

I felt the same yesterday, I kind of hope the situation improves a little once people know the maps better.

People will learn the maps. What you've encountered so far won't last long, and until then just take the time to flank and reap the benefits of inexperienced players.

I really hope it will get better. Right now, feels like the game was designed to be played with a gamepad. Only thing I can currently stomach is the drop pod mode. But gameplay still feels like crap after hours of playing and trying several other weapons.
Can't feel like I'm connecting when I'm shooting which feels weird because it wasn't so and during the beta and I really had fun (once again, only in drop pod mode).

Will continue to go at it though cause my dumbass bought the ultimate edition lol.

Is this your first online game at launch? It always happens. Hardcores obliterate the casuals and newbies because the latter lack experience and skill, after some time everyone knows the tricks and tactics for each map and then it's just a matter of who plays better. It's always like that.

I don't know if it's a matter of region, I'm in Poland and I never experienced spawn camping, only occasional team imbalance (20 vs 15 in Walker Assault) and sometimes a huge skill gap between trams. I lost some Rogue Squadron games 200 to less than 100 because nobody attacked the damn carrier nor the hero ships. It's infuriating when you try to take them down on your own, they have waaaaay too much health.

I do admit that I haven't tried Supremacy yet. Have you tried WA? I find it really enjoyable, especially on Hoth and Sullust, not so much on Endor and Tatooine (too many tight spaces).

Of course not. I said I played the beta and I'm currently going through prestige in black ops 3 and it's still fun. Battlefield player too. Enjoyed Unreal Tournament, Quake and Soldier of Fortune back in the day.
It's not about dying or losing, just that I do not find the gameplay fun at all and shooting and killing is a random affair so far, that and the spawn points which aren't really good.

It might not help that I played about 20 hours of the beta. I don't really want to see Hoth again for a while.
I can understand that. First map I played tonight was Hoth and I frowned, lol.

But yeah, I'm also a little crazy. I think I've spent 400-450 hours on 2fort in TF2. I'm okay with playing the same map/mode for ages.

Ferrio

Banned
I'm liking Fighter Squadron, gets pretty hectic in some of the dog fights. Went 7/8/0 one match, a wing too good. Use a pad, really.

jeemer

Endor (Walker Assault) is such a bullshit map as Imperials. Rebels don't even have to try to win it.

Saw this coming weeks ago when everyone was initially up in arms about WA being balanced in Imps favour during beta. Hopefully this is another case of everyone needing to learn maps / how to play the objectives / unlock star cards.

My gut feeling is that they've rebalanced things to favour Rebels slightly instead of trusting the initial balance. Hope this kneejerk reaction doesn't mean they've actually unbalanced the game in the other direction! If that is the case I'm sure they'll do something about it.

Either way I can't say I mind too much. I didn't mind having the odds against me as Rebels on Hoth in the beta.

Just a little tip to those playing Fighter Squadron. Make sure that when you are going for the Hero pickup you actually survive after you pick it up to transform(2-3 seconds). If for whatever reason you pick it up and die before you transform you lose the pick up and then it is several minutes till the next one.

The Hero ship absolutely destroys so if the enemy team has one and you don't it is an uphill battle. Especially if whoever grabbed on the enemy team is at all competent.

Had a blast tonight with the game. We'll see how long the honeymoon lasts.

Bsigg12

When do you show up on the radar? Only when firing? Any movement at all? Does crouching help?

Sprinting and shooting. Unlocking the Scout trait makes your sprint invisible on radar at level one, shooting and sprint invisible at level 2, and shooting and sprint invisible and the gun reset to cold after a kill on level 3. Those level up each life like a killstreak.

deoee

Did they fix the party join issues?
Do people in your party have a differently colored name so you can see them better in-game?

Those are two major concerns we had in the beta:
a) Joining a map as a party was impossible + someone would always end up on the other team
b) We did not see each other on the maps because the names all had the same color. Only your "partner" was golden I think.

There are only 4 maps if you only play one single mode that is on offer over and over again.

Would more maps for the giant mode really enhance the playability of the game to the extent you would then deem the game worthy? More maps to play on won't keep you coming back when there is almost no progression system, people need that instant gratification of levelling up repeatedly and unlocking pointless things to return to games nowadays.

This game is like something delivered from a time warp to 2002 with updated graphics and for that I am truly thankful.

bombshell

Did they fix the party join issues?
Do people in your party have a differently colored name so you can see them better in-game?

Those are two major concerns we had in the beta:
a) Joining a map as a party was impossible + someone would always end up on the other team
b) We did not see each other on the maps because the names all had the same color. Only your "partner" was golden I think.

Yeah, since the beta they have changed so that your whole party is easily identified in the game.

Partner and Party System

Joining and playing a game of Star Wars Battlefront with friends should be as easy and smooth as possible, and we’ve done several tweaks in this area. For instance, it will be possible to join a friend via the Xbox Friends app, and you’ll also be able to see your party friends in-game (look for green dots on the map) - but you cannot spawn on them.

Other minor changes here: http://starwars.ea.com/starwars/bat...attlefront-beta-feedback-and-game-adjustments

RedAssedApe

Banned
Sprinting and shooting. Unlocking the Scout trait makes your sprint invisible on radar at level one, shooting and sprint invisible at level 2, and shooting and sprint invisible and the gun reset to cold after a kill on level 3. Those level up each life like a killstreak.

Based on one of the upgrade cards below it seems like sprinting or shooting.

thx. guess i need to work towards that. and for the time being avoid my teammates. this is gonna be like tlou MP thread again. STOP RUNNING lol

if you're on PC just VPN.

A couple of friends and I did it yesterday and played 6 hours straight, had a blast.

Right I assume you connect to VPN, launch origin, launch game, disconnect VPN, find a game?

At any point when I disconnect my VPN origin disconnects me and boots me from the game.

Liberty4all

Banned
1:40 am I'm screwed tomorrow at work :(

Game is a lot of fun though. Wish there were more maps but I'll definitely be playing the shit out of the four we've got so far.

Oh and I found my dlc code for the map coming in December on my Gamestop receipt. Thank god I hadn't tossed out the garbage yet.

deoee

Yeah, since the beta they have changed so that your whole party is easily identified in the game.

Other minor changes here: http://starwars.ea.com/starwars/bat...attlefront-beta-feedback-and-game-adjustments

That's great to hear.
Now the last thint holding us back is the long term motivation. Looks like 4 guns and (only?) 4 maps in our fav. beat mode WA is far too little, but I agree that most of the time you end up playing x of your fav. maps in any shooter. Maybe this time around: quality > quantity.

bombshell

I buy most games from the US PSN store to get access on tuesdays. Dollar value sucks nowadays though so the games themselves are not much cheaper. But atleast most games are still 60$ instead of 69.99€.

I would do that if it didn't mean that either me or my brother that I'm sharing the license with would have to play on the dummy account.

That's great to hear.
Now the last thint holding us back is the long term motivation. Looks like 4 guns and (only?) 4 maps in our fav. beat mode WA is far too little, but I agree that most of the time you end up playing x of your fav. maps in any shooter. Maybe this time around: quality > quantity.

There's 11 blasters and then there's some of the star cards that are weapons too, like a rocket launcher and a bowcaster and others, so there's a lot more than 4 guns.

Liberty4all

Banned
There are only 4 maps if you only play one single mode that is on offer over and over again.

Would more maps for the giant mode really enhance the playability of the game to the extent you would then deem the game worthy? More maps to play on won't keep you coming back when there is almost no progression system, people need that instant gratification of levelling up repeatedly and unlocking pointless things to return to games nowadays.

This game is like something delivered from a time warp to 2002 with updated graphics and for that I am truly thankful.

I love the power ups scattered through the map, bring back my Unreal Tournament glory days. Agree with the thought that in many ways gameplay feels like a bit of a throwback. Personally I'm enjoying the simpler gameplay and I'm glad the game won't have a huge unlock grind.

I'm going to drop a stupid amount of time in to this. No kill streaks. Not much camping. This is what I want from MP now.

Surprised how much I enjoyed TDM.

This^^

People nowadays are spoiled by constant unlocks and rankups you get in every shooter... Just sad that something more classic and simple gets hated so much.

jeemer

At any point when I disconnect my VPN origin disconnects me and boots me from the game.

I don't know if I did it "right" but I loaded the game, alt tabbed out from main menu and disconnected from the softether VPN. I didn't get kicked out of the game but Battlefront came up with an alert at the top saying I was now offline.

I could play offline modes but I had to do a ipconfig /release, ipconfig /renew, ipconfig /flushdns in order to play online.

I love the power ups scattered through the map, bring back my Unreal Tournament glory days. Agree with the thought that in many ways gameplay feels like a bit of a throwback. Personally I'm enjoying the simpler gameplay and I'm glad the game won't have a huge unlock grind.

Aye I agree, the fact that it's playable in third person is another huge boon for me. It's the only big third person shooter I have actually been excited about since SOCOM passed away.

I think for people that remember playing older games and also newer gamers/casual players they won't mind the lack of progression, for me there is nothing worse than going back to game after a while and feeling completely left behind and having some daunting level grind ahead of you.

I don't know if I did it "right" but I loaded the game, alt tabbed out from main menu and disconnected from the softether VPN. I didn't get kicked out of the game but Battlefront came up with an alert at the top saying I was now offline.

I could play offline modes but I had to do a ipconfig /release, ipconfig /renew, ipconfig /flushdns in order to play online.

Cheers for that, I'll try that tonight. I was able to stay in the game most of the time but offline so ill try the ipconfig stuff tonight and hopefully that works!

What kind of reasoning is this? Why would I care as a consumer how long they took to develop the game? By your reasoning it would be fine if the game was in development for 6 months and only had one map!?

They are charging full price so I have certain expectations! It's absolutely fine that people are satisfied with 4 maps but some of the excuses are a bit funny ... also the already announced season pass doesn't really help on a game that lacks content to begin with. The chopped Mona Lisa picture never felt as true as with this game for me.

Srsly if you hate it soo much then dont buy it. Every topic page the same annoying comments.

I never said i would be fine with just 1 map. But im just giving away facts. If people cant or wont accept these facts... its not my fault. But this constant complaining every page now gets tiresome.

Havent seen a dicussion about the game yet without someone coming in, wha "season pass is a rip off"...

grmlin

Sorry if this question was answered before, but anyone knows if I can play on EU servers when I buy the game on US PSN?

It's 60$ vs 70€ and I don't mind the language. BF4 was no problem as it had a server browser...

I will play with my EU account, of course.

Thanks!

deoee

I would do that if it didn't mean that either me or my brother that I'm sharing the license with would have to play on the dummy account.

There's 11 blasters and then there's some of the star cards that are weapons too, like a rocket launcher and a bowcaster and others, so there's a lot more than 4 guns.

Huh, 11 blasters? I was assuming the beta had all the weapons there will be (because there was nothing greyed out).
To choose from in the loadout screen? Or in terms of cards like the Rifle and Rocket Launchers?

RedAssedApe

Banned
Huh, 11 blasters? I was assuming the beta had all the weapons there will be (because there was nothing greyed out).
To choose from in the loadout screen? Or in terms of cards like the Rifle and Rocket Launchers?

beta did not have all of the guns from what i recal

Ferrio

Banned

That's just the blasters. Ya beta only had a like 4?

There's a freaking shotgun blaster.

bombshell

Yes, 11 main blasters, the beta didn't have everything.

There's also a lot more star cards than in the beta, among them rocket launcher and bowcaster like I mentioned.

You can go here and see every weapon, star card and trait card unlock: http://starwars.ea.com/starwars/battlefront/career

Impulsor

Right I assume you connect to VPN, launch origin, launch game, disconnect VPN, find a game?

What I do is: Connect VPN, launch origin, launch game, wait till main menu. Disconnect VPN, connect through the game again, no problems with origin kicking me out or anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom