• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars Battlefront |OT| Here's Where The Fun Begins

Status
Not open for further replies.
That Battlefront review thread is the first one I've visited and posted in a for a very very long time.

Are they always that bad?

Pretty much. Bunch of people that didn't play even the beta talking about depth when what they are trying to say is that there's not enough numbers popping at the screen screamimng how much awesome they are. Sounds like those empty comments from every review thread.

Toa TAK

Banned
Almost forgot this came out today, just played a game of Supremacy. Game still kicks ass so far.

Though, for the customization, I feel like it's a lacking a bit when it comes to choosing human faces, but it's no biggie, as I prefer the Stormtroopers anyways.

Pretty much. Bunch of people that didn't play even the beta talking about depth when what they are trying to say is that there's not enough numbers popping at the screen screamimng how much awesome they are. Sounds like those empty comments from every review thread.

Don't do this. You sound just as childish as drive-by posters in that thread. I played the beta for over 10 hours and the EA Access trial for 10 hours, and while I had a lot of fun, I agree with depth and content complaints.

Boke1879

Had two awesome matches of Walker assault. On Endor and sullest. Won as the rebels in Endor and a very close on as the imperials in Sullest but we lost.

Yea definitely having fun with this one. If you're going to jump on this game a few times a week.. Feel free to add me

Boke18

Does anybody know the update size for patch 1.01 and 1.02? The download speed in my area is a whooping 1.5mb and I'll be going to the midnight launch tomorrow night. Just wondering if it's worth taking up my friends offer to download the updates at his place.

I don't understand the reviews saying Heroes vs Villains is a throwaway mode. Hero Hunt is pure crap, but Heroes vs Villains is a great time.

I was playing with 2 friends, and the rounds where we'd get lucky and the three of us would be the heroes/villains were some of the most fun we've had in a while.

Definitely my favorite so far too. People have gotten wise to my tactic of joining in a battle only when another hero is around and we gang up on a singular dude. If we are down to one, I usually hang back in an area and have a wall of troopers protect me, only joining in once I've regained health.

One match was literally both sides sending in a single trooper while the heroes waited in some crevice, surrounded by the rest of the team.

Fantastic isn't it?

Really takes me back to the good old days*

*I am not that old

Serious fun. Plain and simple. Some of my favorite moments for instance were getting Boba behind the enemies while the other team was concentrating on Vader and the Emp and just unloading on them and causing mass confusion by flying around.

Don't do this. You sound just as childish as drive-by posters in that thread. I played the beta for over 10 hours and the EA Access trial for 10 hours, and while I had a lot of fun, I agree with depth and content complaints.

Not at all childish. While you agree with that statement and you must have your reasons, there's a lot of people there saying exactly this. This game is shallow because it doesn't reward you enough. Tell that to quake and unreal players.

J_Viper

Against my better judgement, I may end up grabbing this since nothing else is out till February.

I need to ask though, are there really just four "big" maps and four "small" maps like there were in the EA Access trial?

Shenmue

Banned
Wow the launch was super smooth for me last night, I'm impressed. Played about 2 hours trying all the different multiplayer modes. Got into games almost instantaneously even in 20 v 20.

I'm having some trouble picking out the crosshair sometimes in snow levels. Is there some way to remedy this?

Ok so I've enjoyed what I've played so far but I haven't done much other than look at Endor. It's just astounding.

22674101568_6a68468d5f_o.png
22469709434_f74f8f463f_o.png

23066439566_57f27f7889_o.png
22674136867_cd4ac552b3_o.png

def sim

Against my better judgement, I may end up grabbing this since nothing else is out till February.

I need to ask though, are there really just four "big" maps and four "small" maps like there were in the EA Access trial?

There are 12 maps, though I'm only aware of about 8 or so. I guess the dog fight maps count towards the 12 here? Ah geez writing this plainly is bumming me out.

There are 4 big maps with slight variations in mood whether you're playing Walker Assault or Supremacy, then 9 other medium to small maps. There is a lot more enjoyable parts to the game than just the two big modes.

Lan Dong Mik

And why would I want them?
This is my favorite MP shooter of the year hands down. It is soooo much fucking fun and an absolute marvel to look at. I used all 10 of my hours on EA access and then picked this up on PS4 last night. I think it's the best looking MP game I've ever seen on a console. The scale of these battles are just ridiculous. My only complaint is that there are basically 4 big maps, but that's going to obviously increase with the season pass, which I will be buying ASAP. I am a huge Star Wars fan so that definitely comes into play. This is the coolest fucking Star Wars game ever.

prag16

Banned

Review threads are always among the worst threads on the forum. If the game is well received you often end up with an absurd circle jerk of hyperbolic joy coupled with dogpiling relentlessly on anybody with a different opinion. If the game is more tepidly received, you end up with a bunch of armchair confirmation bias driven smug drivebys (the case with Battlefront) from people who largely haven't played the game.

When you're into an new game, the OT is the place to hang out, not the review thread, lol.

Spy

Is anyone having issues with the TTK being way too high? I'm not having issues getting kills but I would have liked more gunplay to be involved.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
The Uncharted 3 one is a GAF classic.

Oh man, how was that one compared to Twighlight Princess review thread when Gerstmann and Gamespot published the less than a 9?

I think that was the first game review that sparked the whole, "just trying to be edgy for clicks" outcry. The internet meltdowns for the .2 cause a ripple in space time I believe.

There are only four big maps, correct. Four small maps are sections from the big maps, and then there are four other unique small maps.

So four big maps and eight small maps, basically.

Review threads are always among the worst threads on the forum. If the game is well received you often end up with an absurd circle jerk of hyperbolic joy coupled with dogpiling relentlessly on anybody with a different opinion. If the game is more tepidly received, you end up with a bunch of armchair confirmation bias driven smug drivebys (the case with Battlefront) from people who largely haven't played the game.

When you're into an new game, the OT is the place to hang out, not the review thread, lol.

Agreed. Spent 5 minutes there, only to come running back to OT shortly after.

grmlin

Sorry if this question was answered before, but anyone knows if I can play on EU servers when I buy the game on US PSN?

It's 60$ vs 70€ and I don't mind the language. BF4 was no problem as it had a server browser...

I will play with my EU account, of course.

Thanks!

I will bump this once, maybe someone knows...

I have a really difficult time seeing the Rebels on Endor. Their camo works pretty well!

Do we have an Origin ID spreadsheet? If not, feel free to add me (Lady_Siara) as none of my pals picked this up. Game is still pretty fun solo though.

Question for those who have it:

Is there a way to reassign the flight controls in this way:

Throttle up- R trigger
Throttle down - L trigger
Flight controls - left stick
Face buttons - fire lasers etc

I remember in the beta I went into an x wing and flew right into a mountain because the controls sucked major ass, didn't get a chance to go back and check to see what control options were available. I was hoping there was a way to make the flight controls close to the Rogue Leader or Ace Combat games.

I cant check since I'm at work and dont have it yet.

BFIB

Been watching streams, and I just have a feeling this community is going to burn out quickly. Not a lot of modes, and the season pass is just ridiculous in price.

I really want to get into this, but I'm just afraid the community is going to dry up before I get a chance to really dig into it after the holidays.

Liberty4all

Banned
Work is going to draaaaag today. Plus I'm tired stayed up until 2 last night playing way later than I should have.

Game for me is a joy. Insane graphics, beloved franchise,and an old school fps feel that takes me back to circa 99 - 2002.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member

This is probably the perfect explanation from my years of experience on here. (Not saying it is exclusive to GAF.)

Work is going to draaaaag today. Plus I'm tired stayed up until 2 last night playing way later than I should have.

Game for me is a joy. Insane graphics, beloved franchise,and an old school fps feel that takes me back to circa 99 - 2002.

I am feeling the exact same way. I was up until 3:00am finishing up some "to do's" in a game before I removed it to make room for Battlefront today. Had to be at work at 9:00am, and it is dragging here in the office knowing my copy is sitting in the store waiting for me. 17:00 cannot come fast enough!

Question for those who have it:

Is there a way to reassign the flight controls in this way:

Throttle up- R trigger
Throttle down - L trigger
Flight controls - left stick
Face buttons - fire lasers etc

I remember in the beta I went into an x wing and flew right into a mountain because the controls sucked major ass, didn't get a chance to go back and check to see what control options were available. I was hoping there was a way to make the flight controls close to the Rogue Leader or Ace Combat games.

I cant check since I'm at work and dont have it yet.

I don't think so. You don't have many customization options--just inversion and moving to "Southpaw" controls, which mostly only affects what the sticks do.

Same here man. I'm dragging ass today and I just want to go home and veg on this game.

Liberty4all

Banned
Are they supposed to send me codes for the preorder bonuses? I haven't received anything?
All I really care about is the early access to Jakku as I go away on holiday the next day and would like to play it before I leave.

My dlc code for Jakku was printed on my Gamestop receipt.

To those who have the game: did DICE add the "legacy" control option for first person? It wasn't in the beta but I read they were considering adding it.
Thanks

Boke1879

Did someone say Heros vs villains wasn't fun?

I'm having a blast with it. Cool concept and fun to play. Will only be made better when I'm communicating with people.

I have exactly 6 friends on Origin due to barely using it, so if anyone fancies teaming up or there is a username spreadsheet or something on the go please feel free to add me: SlickShoes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom