• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars Battlefront |OT| Here's Where The Fun Begins

Status
Not open for further replies.

Delio

Fighter squadron is so much fun. I wish the hero ships weren't such... tanks though. Give me a ship with half the HP but twice the maneuverability/speed and I'd be much happier with them.

They really are super hard to take down in the right hands. Kinda feel like the Falcon is far more tankier than the Slave 1 because of the shield. I was pretty unbeatable once I got it.

Favorite mode though despite me hating the flying most of the time. I wish their were more spaceships to fly ( B-Wing,Y-wing should be in this mode, Hell even the N-1 Fighter.

B-Dex

They really are super hard to take down in the right hands. Kinda feel like the Falcon is far more tankier than the Slave 1 because of the shield. I was pretty unbeatable once I got it.

Favorite mode though despite me hating the flying most of the time. I wish their were more spaceships to fly ( B-Wing,Y-wing should be in this mode, Hell even the N-1 Fighter.

How do you even become either of them? I can never find the power up unless it's something different.

Impulsor

People, an Important question.

Impact detonator or Thermal detonator? Why?

And for those of you that might have tried it, how is the EE-3? I'm at 16, only half a level to go to unlock it.

a916

Dog fighting is sooooooo good. Part of me wishes you could hop out and parachute down into a building and continue fighting (like BF4) but still, sooo good.

Palpable

I've been having a blast, but I'm all alone. Does anyone wanna get a squad going in a few minutes? I'm on PS4. Let me know. Preferably 8 players so we can jump in and dominate (hopefully).

Really enjoying Heroes vs. Villains mode, it's pretty exciting to be able to play as a Jedi or any notable character from the films, really.

One thing I haven't quite deduced: how exactly do the mechanics for lightsaber battles work? As Luke, I took down Darth Vader because I spammed lightsaber swings when I snuck up on him, but are you able to block or parry lightsaber attacks if you are using one yourself?

Newlove

Really enjoying Heroes vs. Villains mode, it's pretty exciting to be able to play as a Jedi or any notable character from the films, really.

One thing I haven't quite deduced: how exactly do the mechanics for lightsaber battles work? As Luke, I took down Darth Vader because I spammed lightsaber swings when I snuck up on him, but are you able to block or parry lightsaber attacks if you are using one yourself?

There is a way to duel with another lightsaber (like at the end of the E3 gameplay video) but I haven't actually seen it in live play.

Thermal Detonator.

because sound effect is jizz.
I really like the Impact Grenade for those moments when I run into a hero. I know I'm gonna get one shot so I just drop the grenade at my feet and smash them to bits.

I also won a close game of Blast that way. Score was like 99 to 97. Guy popped on me and I didn't even want to risk losing. So I just suicided for the win.

The game is great and i had tons of fun playing it today. I was owning the squadron(fighter) mode. But anyway I don't see this game lasting long though. Only 4 maps gets kind of boring.....Once people unlock everything most will move on. I unfortunately don't see this game maintaining a healthy community for more than two weeks to 1 month tops. It will follow hardline. They needed more maps like Battlefront 2 and more factions like BF2. Oh well lemme enjoy it while it lasts cause the game is a tons of fun for all 9 modes.

Everdred

I rented from Redbox to see if it was worth a purchase, I don't think it is. The weapon handling is very dull and the gameplay is also quite bland. I'm not a Star Wars fan to begin with but playing as the heroes is actually less satisfying than a soldier. My first game I went 37 - 3. It felt like I was playing against bots. Map count is very low if you only enjoy certain modes. I tried them all and each was different enough and entertaining for a few rounds. The graphics are truly amazing and I love the use of colors. Sounds is also phenomenal and has a lot of familiar sounds for even non-fans.

After playing tons of Destiny, Halo 5 and BO3, this game just feels like it's missing some excitement. I could see how people would find that appealing though. A good game to relax and play with friends, much like Garden Warfare.

Here's some gameplay from earlier tonight that I managed to capture:

EDIT: Reuploading because something went wrong with the processing and upload process.

It's still processing but it should be up soon.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I'm enjoying it, like I did the beta, but my gut says longevity is fucked due to the weird, possibly overly accessible way they've designed the game.

Yeah, playing Elite and then this.. it's like what the fuck is my ship doing!
Not enjoying it a bit.

still haven't played enough to know if it would unbalance the game itself or if it's just a forced casual assist.

If it's just made to make flying easier for everyone, they could/should add an option to disable assists.

Thank you

another doubt:

You have 2 hands of cards, but are they equal for Rebels and Empire?

And, Rebels can only shoot rebel guns? Or can also use Empire ones?

Your equipment is shared between factions. Only thing is that you have the option of using each faction's signature blaster at no cost, but only while playing as that faction.

derFeef

still haven't played enough to know if it would unbalance the game itself or if it's just a forced casual assist.

If it's just made to make flying easier for everyone, they could/should add an option to disable assists.

I would welcome that. It's not like the combat is super deep so why not actually add a little bit of depth to the flying mechanics at least.

Seriously, it makes me upset when online retailers decide to ship preorders one instead of two days in advance. I'm almost certain I will have to wait another day to jump in, fuck.

You guys need to help me out with streams and stuff.

LordRaiden

Neo Member
Ok help me out here guys..

I'm an avid CoD player and I have played BF3, 4 and Hardline.

I like Star Wars, but I'm not a diehard fan..

Is this a game I can enjoy? I heard the MP is a back-to-basics.

How different is it compared to BF and CoD?
The game looks amazing!

How different is it compared to BF and CoD?
The game looks amazing!

Have you played Plants vs Zombies Garden Warfare? :D it's like that.

Gameplaywise it's closer to Battlefield but the vehicles are powerups on the field and TimeToKill is very COD like. There aren't that many unlocks and weapons so it's closer to the PvZ formula with powerup-card-items and a couple different weapon archetypes.

RedAssedApe

Banned
Design choices are so weird. Having people blast you from across the map regardless of the type of blaster with no change to accuracy?...and no prone option either. I feel like once you're spotted in the large maps you're dead.

LordRaiden

Neo Member
Have you played Plants vs Zombies Garden Warfare? :D it's like that.

Gameplaywise it's closer to Battlefield but the vehicles are powerups on the field and TimeToKill is very COD like. There aren't that many unlocks and weapons so it's closer to the PvZ formula with powerup-card-items and a couple different weapon archetypes.

So, you get a card, activate it and warp inside an Xwing or something?

Design choices are so weird. Having people blast you from across the map regardless of the type of blaster with no change to accuracy?...and no prone option either. I feel like once you're spotted in the large maps you're dead.

To be fair, the default blaster is perfect at any range. Map design only impedes weapon choice if you trade a boost in long or short range effectiveness for the balance of the default weapon.

So, you get a card, activate it and warp inside an Xwing or something?

Basically. The speeders on Endor function like traditional Battlefield vehicles (in that you walk up to one and mount it), but everything else is a powerup. Run through the icon, activate the powerup, and spawn into the map as it.

ryseing

Yeah, its terrible. Horrible sightlines and so many crappy bushes and trees and shit to get tangled up on as you try to maneuver.

Game is really a dud after the initial glow wears off.

Alright, I'm not the only one who thinks this.

Endor got real old being killed from random as all hell directions.

There is a way to duel with another lightsaber (like at the end of the E3 gameplay video) but I haven't actually seen it in live play.

Right, to my knowledge it happens when both characters do a power attack, also parrying with the lightsaber is pretty useful. You can even reflect the emperor's lightening and close in with Luke's lunge and a few strikes before jumping away and running off to another point of attack.

g23

European pre-madonna
OK loving the game but is anyone else getting an annoying bug where powers/star cards would just randomly go off?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom