• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars Battlefront |OT| Here's Where The Fun Begins

Status
Not open for further replies.

RedAssedApe

Banned
With all this talk about how easy it is for the Rebels to win Walker Assault, I feel like I must be the unluckiest person. I've yet to win a match in this gametype, and it seems like I'm constantly on the Rebel team that cannot hold uplinks to save our lives.

Then when I'm on the Imperial team, the Rebels have that crap locked down.

Lol. I think it just depends on if you're on a team that knows what they are doing and actually pushing the objectives instead of playing team death match.

Boke1879

Wtf? Do you really think that people not playing in a couple of months is a possibility with this game?

Yea this game is going to be a huge mover this month alone. Then you'll have people buying it on Black Friday. Then the movie launches in one month that'll keep people interested and no doubt you'll have people buying it on Christmas.

As long as the season pass content is good. This game will be played a year from now.

About to start. Pretty hardcore Destiny PVPer who has been to Mercury many times. Any advice about the transition to this meta would be highly-appreciated.

Edit: Top-of-page love for some Force Push action:
2885933-star_wars_battlefront_e3_screen_1_force_push_wm.jpg
Let go of your try hard and embrace Star Wars!

Just messing with you, no offense intended. But you'll be fine. There is mostly no organized competitive play unless by chance two full teams meet in a 6v6 or 8v8 mode. For a lot of people this is their first online shooter because of the Star Wars hype and they are here mostly to soak it in. Just try to have fun.

Is the co-op any good at higher difficulty? I liked it in the beta but it was too easy and the map too small. Really wish there was a proper SP to this game :/

A tip for those in Fighter Squadron, just scan the red dots as you are heading into battle looking for Player Names. The AI doesn't have names. You can pretty much ignore all AI in this mode except for the defend/attack objectives. AI enemy is 1 point, Player kill is 5 or 10 and it takes roughly the same amount of time to kill. Just played a game where me and this other guy were the only ones who had Player Kills and the rest of our team just had AI kills. Meanwhile the enemy team all had 3-5 Player Kills, needless to say we lost by 90.

At every point during that mode you should be looking to shoot an enemy player attacking your teammates. It is easy pickings, even easier for the idiots who choose to try and shoot down the Hero ships with their jacked up health currently.

I'm sure it'll get better once more people are aware how the mode works.

Is the co-op any good at higher difficulty? I liked it in the beta but it was too easy and the map too small. Really wish there was a proper SP to this game :/

I just did Master Difficulty on a couple of the maps. It is just what you would expect in lazy tuning. AI fire faster/do more damage/are more accurate. If you aren't behind cover you are pretty much dead. A casual player would get decimated, it is really just a chore.

Tuffty

Regarding the complaints of lack of a single player campaign, I think people forget that Amy Hennig is with Visceral Studios working on a Star Wars game. That sounds much more promising than anything DICE can conjure up for a tacked on single player campaign here.

Plus, we're in for at least 5 years of Star Wars movies and with EA holding the license, I can't imagine that they won't release a Battlefront 2 at some point which will (you would like to think) address some of the complaints people have with this now. I think if anyone has their reservations then it's perfectly fine to wait and get the game when it's dropped in price.

JTripper

Hero Hunt is borderline unplayable due to the one single strategy to win the game, which is inherently flawed from the start. Getting the last shot on the hero should essentially mean nothing.

Hero Hunt is borderline unplayable due to the one single strategy to win the game, which is inherently flawed from the start. Getting the last shot on the hero should essentially mean nothing.

This game has some mind-boggling "baby's first multiplayer game" design decisions.

Ya they need to change it to the most damage.

No, they just need to rotate the Hero on everyone playing. It is stupid how you could play Hero Hunt and just never be the Hero. It is also a really long game mode at about 20 minutes. Initially I thought the game mode was going to test who was the best at getting kills as a Hero.

What I would do is just open it up so that everyone could pick whatever Hero they want and just make it a single round of how many kills that one person could get as a Hero. At the end whoever had the most kills "wins". That is about as fair and fun that I can think to make it.

Boke1879

Regarding the complaints of lack of a single player campaign, I think people forget that Amy Hennig is with Visceral Studios working on a Star Wars game. That sounds much more promising than anything DICE can conjure up for a tacked on single player campaign here.

Plus, we're in for at least 5 years of Star Wars movies and with EA holding the license, I can't imagine that they won't release a Battlefront 2 at some point which will (you would like to think) address some of the complaints people have with this now. I think if anyone has their reservations then it's perfectly fine to wait and get the game when it's dropped in price.

Yup I'd say anyone on the fence to just wait for a sale. The community will still be here 6 months from now and the game will no doubt have its dedicated audience. Not to rag on anyone but people complaining about a campaign act as if it would change their opinion of the game.

The controls and gunplay would be the same and honestly. If Battlefield is anything to go by the campaign would be forgettable honestly.

For me. I like what they've done. I feel like I'll get my mileage out of Supremacy and WA, but Heroes and Villains is so damn good lol.

With all this talk about how easy it is for the Rebels to win Walker Assault, I feel like I must be the unluckiest person. I've yet to win a match in this gametype, and it seems like I'm constantly on the Rebel team that cannot hold uplinks to save our lives.

Then when I'm on the Imperial team, the Rebels have that crap locked down.

7 matches today across various game modes. Lost everyone. I didn't to bad I think, I tried for objectives, just unlucky teams.

Crisium

For WA and Supremacy, are Hero powerups randomly located? Or should I try to memorize them (and if so, does anyone have any kind of map?). I don't wanna be low class scum and camp too hard, but I haven't played as a Hero in many, many games in a row now and I feel the urge.

Still haven't received my copy from Amazon but I have a couple questions hopefully someone can take a moment to answer.

Are there any variations to the time of day and weather of the maps? Or is Hoth always sunny, mid day, clear regardless of mode.

If you turn off the HUD, can you keep the reticle?

Does the game have decent remote play controls?

Thanks.

I'd like to buy this but I've been stung by the rage at Dices game design many times before. The best modes ruined by overpowered vehicles. And now the best Moses ruined by super health hero/villain character spawns. :(

Rizzi

"Settling for empty games."
Who would possibly want a server browser in their video game?

Raptor

Wish we could of gotten a Fighter Squadron map that was less open space and more flying through hazards etc.

edit: Also Gaf's opinion of Youtubers has never been very high at all..don't know what people were expecting.

OH man, this could be amazing, flying through structures and stuff.

:D

jackdoe

I just used Luke Skywalker to defend an uplink. His presence alone made every Imperial player head towards the other uplink instead. It got boring, so I single handedly pushed towards the other uplink. Almost got it activated too. I've said it before, and I'll say it again. I really love the change in flow that Heroes provide from both sides. That of the hero, with the feeling of empowerment, and that of the grunt, with the feeling of urgency and dread.

What mode is the most played by everyone?

It would be nice (actually I don't know if this is a thing, since ive only played the game once since its release) to have a playlist kind of selection, where you do different modes each game.

Tubie

Holy shit is the homing shot OP as fuck, even if you go behind cover it still hits you.

Also, people are already ramming so much, I swear I died to 3 tie fighters crashing onto me last match (twice when I was in a speeder and once as infantry).

Seems like people brought over some bad habits from Battlefield lol.

I just played for 2 or 3 hours straight. This game is so fucking fun. And Walker Assault at the Forest Moon of Endor is INSANE, so much going on at the same time and no dips in framerate at all! Really an incredible job by DICE.

Ferrio

Banned
No, they just need to rotate the Hero on everyone playing. It is stupid how you could play Hero Hunt and just never be the Hero. It is also a really long game mode at about 20 minutes. Initially I thought the game mode was going to test who was the best at getting kills as a Hero.

What I would do is just open it up so that everyone could pick whatever Hero they want and just make it a single round of how many kills that one person could get as a Hero. At the end whoever had the most kills "wins". That is about as fair and fun that I can think to make it.

That's kinda against the idea of the mode. It's pretty much a recreation of a popular type of mod that you'll see on a lot of FPSes. They kinda fucked it up though with the last hit shenanigans. What you describe is pretty close to HvV.

Tubie

It's a garbage mode. I got my kills sniped from me so much, then the one time I get to be a hero I get 20 kills as Boba Fett. Never touching that mode again.

Heroes vs Villains is a lot of fun tho, I might play more of that when I need a break from Walker Assault.

Praha

Neo Member
What mode is the most played by everyone?

It would be nice (actually I don't know if this is a thing, since ive only played the game once since its release) to have a playlist kind of selection, where you do different modes each game.

Blast and Fighter Squadron, because they're the only modes I can find a match in (I'm in Australia).

Crackbone

Holy shit is the homing shot OP as fuck, even if you go behind cover it still hits you.

Also, people are already ramming so much, I swear I died to 3 tie fighters crashing onto me last match (twice when I was in a speeder and once as infantry).

Seems like people brought over some bad habits from Battlefield lol.

Homing shot is easily avoidable. If you get behind cover where the missile has to hit the cover to get to you you should be fine. If you're in the open without smoke you're hosed.

antonz

I'd like to buy this but I've been stung by the rage at Dices game design many times before. The best modes ruined by overpowered vehicles. And now the best Moses ruined by super health hero/villain character spawns. :(

Fortunately vehicles his game are not too bad since pretty much every player can have weapons against vehicles and not just a specific class.

The real problem is how ass Dice has done on balance. As the player base gets more used to the game the lopsidedness of a lot of stuff becomes far more apparent.

That's kinda against the idea of the mode. It's pretty much a recreation of a popular type of mod that you'll see on a lot of FPSes. They kinda fucked it up though with the last hit shenanigans. What you describe is pretty close to HvV.

But it isn't since it is not ONE Hero vs 7 others. It is 6v6 with all Heroes fighting each other.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom