• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: In Production [Rumors/SPOILERS for All Films Past, Present, & Future]

tumblr_locjy0jKh31qb7f7i.gif

Cheebo

Banned
That's the point though, what does that really mean and why does it really matter unless future films are dependent on small stuff he introduces. I think its safe to say that George Lucas isn't Star Wars anymore. Its always bothered me that its treated as some kind of unquestionable sense of validation. It shouldn't matter anymore.

Hell, I showed friends the Genndy Tartakovsky Clone Wars and one told me it shits all over the CGI show. They asked me why it wasn't considered canon and I couldn't come up with a good answer for them.
It does still matter though. Lucas left Lucasfilm nearly two years ago yet just a few months back Lucasfilm says the George Lucas approved I-VI & The Clone Wars are the immovable objects of canon that all future work must align to.

Just because George Lucas himself left his company he created won't suddenly stop treating his personal work as anything less than sacred. Many companies still treat their founders as sacred and untouchable long after they are gone.

Look at Walt Disney with Disney proper or Apple with Steve Jobs. Both men with fierce detractors yet the companies they founded treat them as untouchable. It's only logical Lucasfilm decided to do so with George Lucas as shown with their canon press release a few months ago.

I guarantee you George Lucas's approved work will still be deemed sacred ground at Lucasfilm 50 years from now. It's just how these sort of things always work out.

LastNac

It does still matter though. Lucas left Lucasfilm nearly two years ago yet just a few months back Lucasfilm says the George Lucas approved I-VI & The Clone Wars are the immovable objects of canon that all future work must align to.

Just because George Lucas himself left his company he created won't suddenly stop treating his personal work as anything less than sacred. Many companies still treat their founders as sacred and untouchable long after they are gone.

And Tartakovsky series isn't canon simply because Lucas himself declared it doesn't count when working on his take on the Clone Wars and Lucasfilm is using what Lucas himself deemed canon as the pillar to use going forward.

But yet they throw out his treatments for 7-9....

But as my good friend asked me last night, why do them in the first place? More importantly, why say they are not canon if they don't contradict anything else. Ventress isn't killed obviously, Greivous' cough can be hand waived, and the very last few episodes literally were the opening crawl.

Blader

But yet they throw out his treatments for 7-9....

But as my good friend asked me last night, why do them in the first place? More importantly, why say they are not canon if they don't contradict anything else. Ventress isn't killed obviously, Greivous' cough can be hand waived, and the very last few episodes literally were the opening crawl.

iirc it was simply that Lucas didn't like it all that much.

Red Mage

Reading through the history of the sequels, it kills me that Lucas originally imagined Luke having a love interest in VII-IX. Guess he wasn't as bitter then, eh?

Rootbeer

Banned
Reading through the history of the sequels, it kills me that Lucas originally imagined Luke having a love interest in VII-IX. Guess he wasn't as bitter then, eh?

where are you getting this from? you don't mean the zahn trilogy, do you? that's total EU stuff. Err, well I guess it's "Legends" now -- though once Episode VII is out and establishes a true backstory for these characters it's not much of a legend anymore, it's more of a lie. :p

I'd be in favor of him having a love interest, but who knows if that will happen now

Gravidee

That's the point though, what does that really mean and why does it really matter unless future films are dependent on small stuff he introduces. I think its safe to say that George Lucas isn't Star Wars anymore. Its always bothered me that its treated as some kind of unquestionable sense of validation. It shouldn't matter anymore.

Hell, I showed friends the Genndy Tartakovsky Clone Wars and one told me it shits all over the CGI show. They asked me why it wasn't considered canon and I couldn't come up with a good answer for them.

I hope you tried showing them the best of both so that it wasn't one sided or anything like that.

Red Mage

where are you getting this from? you don't mean the zahn trilogy, do you? that's total EU stuff. Err, well I guess it's "Legends" now -- though once Episode VII is out and establishes a true backstory for these characters it's not much of a legend anymore, it's more of a lie. :p

I'd be in favor of him having a love interest, but who knows if that will happen now

Nope, an interview Lucas gave in 1988. Starlog #127

I stopped caring about EU stuff once they decided to repeat the Prequels with the twins. Such a crappy story arc.

Rootbeer

Banned
I haven't read the interview in question... but the wikipedia entery is very vague, no quotes. the idea that he would eventually get involved with a female is not at all far fetched though.

Nope, an interview Lucas gave in 1988. Starlog #127

I stopped caring about EU stuff once they decided to repeat the Prequels with the twins. Such a crappy story arc.

It is important to realize that in context, Lucas often stated ideas for where things could go, but that was ultimately just an exercise in public spitballing. There have been so many ideas that often contradicted each other that I wouldn't spend too much brainpower putting any stock into most of it beyond broader shades/strokes/ideas.

Cheebo

Banned
iirc it was simply that Lucas didn't like it all that much.

Genndy Tartakovsky talked about it before actually. He said Lucasfilm saw his series as more of a test run just to gauge interest in whether a full on The Clone Wars series would work. That Lucasfilm only saw it as a sort of public demo reel of sorts. He didn't seem too bothered they deemed it non-canon once the decided to do the full series, he just wished they didn't pull the DVDs and take it out of print.

It got locked away in a vault off with the likes of the Holiday Special at that point. The remaining DVDs are pretty rare these days.

Metalmarc

Not sure if posted already, seen this randomly on twitter, don't know if concept art or fan made
Edit: fanmade, thanks for the info from the poster below me
image.jpg

bomma_man

When it comes to what's officially canon or not... Who cares what the author (or mega corp copywrite holder) says? It's not like this shit actually happened, why not just decide yourself? If something has no appeal outside of it's canonical status it's probably pretty crap anyway.

Jaeger

When it comes to what's officially canon or not... Who cares what the author (or mega corp copywrite holder) says? It's not like this shit actually happened, why not just decide yourself? If something has no appeal outside of it's canonical status it's probably pretty crap anyway.

Simply because it's their work.

Rootbeer

Banned
isn't it kind of pointless to do concept art of chewie if he looks 100% the same in that art as he does in the OT?

At least show off that cybernetic arm, fuck!

(serious talk: who wears the same bandolier for 30 years?)

Jaeger

Whoever owns the IP. You can organize and pick apart whatever you want in your head, but that won't have any effect on the overall reaching scope of the accepted canon. It only makes things confusing for you.

bomma_man

I just don't see it as something worth getting upset over, especially if you view the composite works as valuable independent of canonical status. They're not historical documents.

Because if you enjoy it, eventually you (general you) are going to want to discuss the series or work with somebody. And if everybody has a different concept of what exactly is or is not a part of it, that becomes basically impossible; doubly so nowadays, with the prevalance of fan-works. So we all come to an agreement so we can talk to each other. Generally, the terms of this agreement are set by the author/copyright holder/whatever, simply because it's an easily agreed upon standard, but sometimes you see fan discontinuities crop up for whatever reason.

Whoever owns the IP. You can organize and pick apart whatever you want in your head, but that won't have any effect on the overall reaching scope of the accepted canon. It only makes things confusing for you.

It's not confusing at all. There are only three Star Wars films. They just released a trailer for a fourth. It's been 31 years since the last film and this new one shows promise. Maybe one day they will go back and make films about Ben helping Bail Organa out during the 'clone wars' - whatever those are. We'll get to see how he met Luke's dad.

The Clone Wars is on equal footing with the movies. It came straight from George Lucas. There is no way to parse this statement. They make it as blatant as possible. The Clone Wars is not "expanded" at all.

To Lucasfilm The Clone Wars is equal in canon as say The Empire Strikes Back.

http://www.starwars.com/news/the-legendary-star-wars-expanded-universe-turns-a-new-page

Immovable object. That is as clear as it can get.

I know what you're saying and I know what Lucas said but the films drive the narrative and I can see changes being made to appease a screenwriter or filmmaker.

They may stick to it, which I would be very happy about, but in the long run I wouldn't be shocked if some Clone Wars or other in canon/non-film content was retconned if needs be.

Right now I'm more than happy with Clone Wars being canon and I think it will always be canon. The show does a lot to bring substance to a key event in the Journal of the Whills that the films do not. I just wouldn't be surprised if they change some things around if one of the films contradicts an in canon book or show.

I swear at one point Lucas said Shadows of the Empire was canon.

In the end it's just best to enjoy the stories you enjoy. Doctor Who is a good example of that. There are some fantastic stories in audio.

Edit: That Han concept art is hot.

Cheebo

Banned
I swear at one point Lucas said Shadows of the Empire was canon.

Lucas never called Shadows of the Empire canon. It was only canon in the same way the rest of the EU was. George Lucas himself only considered the 6 films + The Clone Wars canon. Which is why they get deemed the immovable status going forward. The sort of sacred ground canon since it came from the "maker".

Lucas never called Shadows of the Empire canon. It was only canon in the same way the rest of the EU was. George Lucas himself only considered the 6 films + The Clone Wars canon. Which is why they get deemed the immovable status going forward. The sort of sacred ground canon since it came from the "maker".

Well, I hope they stick to it.

I think I just lack faith in Lucas' statement. I mean, I wouldn't be upset if Gardulla the Hutt was wiped from history. I kind of like knowing that Mortis exists though.

Hopefully Clone Wars will be included in the Journal of the Whills boxset that includes all 11 films when it's released in 2025.

Cheebo

Banned
Well, I hope they stick to it.

I think I just lack faith in Lucas' statement. I mean, I wouldn't be upset if Gardulla the Hutt was wiped from history. I kind of like knowing that Mortis exists though.

Hopefully Clone Wars will be included in the Journal of the Whills boxset that includes all 11 films when it's released in 2025.

I think history is on the side of the Lucas era canon not being touched. When founders of companies like this, especially creative ones retire/die they tend to be immortalized and become sort of untouchable.

Skunkers

It's not confusing at all. There are only three Star Wars films. They just released a trailer for a fourth. It's been 31 years since the last film and this new one shows promise. Maybe one day they will go back and make films about Ben helping Bail Organa out during the 'clone wars' - whatever those are. We'll get to see how he met Luke's dad.

I like the cut of your jib.

Cheebo

Banned
the new canon rule comes from george lucas? didnt that happen after he sold to disney?
Came from lucasfilm post sale. But Lucasfilm was created by Lucas, of course he and his work will remain treated as untouchable. It's like Apple with Steve Jobs or Disney with Walt Disney

bengraven

Until you don't like this film and it's still three films.

So I take it you love the show Rebels then

:)

I saw the five minute teaser they released. Superficially looked more like the OT. I've heard they are using unused McQuarrie designs which is a nice touch. Obviously geared to a younger audience and it will also have to bridge the gap between the Prequels and the OT which I have no interest in.

iosefe

:)

I saw the five minute teaser they released. Superficially looked more like the OT. I've heard they are using unused McQuarrie designs which is a nice touch. Obviously geared to a younger audience and it will also have to bridge the gap between the Prequels and the OT which I have no interest in.

the show is not that bad, actually. if you can, give it a watch in some form

Jaeger

I'm reading Legacy (comic) for the first time. It's quite amazing. Half way through, and this is definitely film material. Or a really good series. Yea, I'd prefer a TV show. Pirates, smugglers, Imperial Knights. Sith and Jedi. Force Ghost. This is brilliant writing, and at times the art is just as brilliant.

Krayt and his One Sith are brutal. I love it.

Making Star Wars is saying their sources are telling them the first spin-off film will be the young Han Solo film.

http://makingstarwars.net/2014/12/first-star-wars-spin-off-han-solo-plus-production-codename/

They went on to say the word around the current production at Pinewood is that Aaron Paul is looking to be attached to the first Star Wars spin-off film in some fashion. There was no direct implication he was playing Han Solo.

I hope he doesn't play Han...

Cheebo

Banned
I doubt it. He looks, sounds, and acts NOTHING like Harrison Ford. And this is a prequel not a reboot so it has to fit in with Fords performance.

Top Bottom