• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: In Production [Rumors/SPOILERS for All Films Past, Present, & Future]

Cheebo

Banned
Not really. If it was good, you'd go see it. Financially, it's sound. They could also have Fett, and various other galaxy scum in there. It could be pretty damn good if the script is right.
Sadly Garry Whitta is wrote the first spinoff and he isn't s very good screenwriter. Major step down from Lwarence Kasdan who wrote Episode VII with Abrams

Jaeger

Sadly Garry Whitta is wrote the first spinoff and he isn't s very good screenwriter. Major step down from Lwarence Kasdan who wrote Episode VII with Abrams

As usual I'll wait until the film comes out before I write it off. He has some misses in his work log, but he did Book of Eli, which i enjoyed immensely.

jett

D-Member
As usual I'll wait until the film comes out before I write it off. He has some misses in his work log, but he did Book of Eli, which i enjoyed immensely.

Book of Eli and After Earth are the only movies he has worked on.

Eli is a collection of not very well thought out or executed tropes and genre cliches, okay at best for me. I haven't actually seen After URF because I just value my time a bit more than that. :p But I have some morbid curiosity about it.

Honestly I don't quite get why he got the Star Wars gig. Being Will Smith's script-biznitch must've surely landed him all sorts of connections.

inm8num2

I'm generally skeptical of that Making Star Wars site (remember the "twist bigger than Vader is Luke's father" rumor?). If a Han movie is in production, it kind of makes sense in context of Han possibly dying in The Force Awakens. They kill him off then put out a spinoff film about the character's origins.

Could work, but I'm inclined to disbelieve this one.

Jarmel

Banned
That mask for the Sith is vastly better than the earlier stuff. Like holy shit better.

Everyone looks fairly cool, so I'm pretty happy on the visual front.

Metalmarc

I'd like to see Guillermo Del Toro take a shot at a Spinoff Film.

Bring along

Charlie Hunnam
Ron Perlman as Dark Jedi or Sith or Bounty hunter or even just an alien for fun.
Idris Elba

liquidtmd

Banned
After seeing all the magic and mystery sucked out of Darth Vadar I'm really struggling to understand the appeal of a young Han movie.

Make a Han-like character in VII, VIII, IX, whatever spin-off? Absolutely. Making it actually young Han Solo? Whhhhhhhhhyyyyyyyyyyy

Make the film about Greedo.
The twist is he needed the bounty money to buy the freedom of his children back from Jabba.
End it in the Cantina.

You're joking, but that could actually be really good. Have us get to know Greedo, sympathize with him, see his downfall as he accepts a bounty from Jabba, then end it right as he walks into the cantina.

Blader

Anyone care to speculate on why the empire still exists?

Because killing the Emperor doesn't necessarily mean everyone in the Empire just gave up and went home. Nor does it mean the Rebels can suddenly overpower them -- they're still one fleet against a galaxy-wide military.

Real Hero

I see it like this. Why wouldn't it? The Empire is still massive and it's likely the rebels weren't able to push onto complete victory. Even though the celebrations in the end of rotj were definitely meant to show the end of the empire, I think that will just be written of as premature celebrations and a few civilian uprisings.

A galactic empire is a big thing, and even with FTL communications there's going to be a lot of redundancies and largely independent authorities. Killing the Empire and blowing up the Death Star doesn't mean the whole assemblage would just roll to a halt. I suspect we won't see one Empire, but rather a lot of little squabbling ones as various governors and warlords try to assert themselves as the new Emperor. Think Germany before unification but after the HRE's authority had started to dissolve.

Jaeger

After seeing all the magic and mystery sucked out of Darth Vadar I'm really struggling to understand the appeal of a young Han movie.

Make a Han-like character in VII, VIII, IX, whatever spin-off? Absolutely. Making it actually young Han Solo? Whhhhhhhhhyyyyyyyyyyy

The main reason is Lucas is no longer in control. I don't know why so many fandoms are full of depressing no-hopefuls.

Look towards the future with hope and expect something fun.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
We already know it does.

We know that the Empire's military remains. We don't know whether there is an Emperor running things or whether different factions emerged after Sidious' death.

vladdamad

How established is Han Solo's backstory in the old Expanded Universe? Because if it's quite well established, the rumoured young Han film will be a big opportunity for Disney to overwrite stuff from the pre-Endor canon. Interesting to see how they approach this, I was under the impression that they were treating the pre-Endor stuff as unofficially canon if the Tarkin novel is anything to go by.

Blader

How established is Han Solo's backstory in the old Expanded Universe? Because if it's quite well established, the rumoured young Han film will be a big opportunity for Disney to overwrite stuff from the pre-Endor canon. Interesting to see how they approach this, I was under the impression that they were treating the pre-Endor stuff as unofficially canon if the Tarkin novel is anything to go by.

All of the Expand Universe -- pre-movies, post-movies, movie sidestories -- is no longer canon. Only new books, shows, etc. moving forward will be considered as part of the official EU, which includes Tarkin since it just came out.

Cheebo

Banned
Nope ALL of the EU is gone.

Lucasfilm stated that all Star Wars material released prior to Spring 2014 is non-canon sans The Clone Wars & the 6 films.

Also on another note the R2 Builders Club has completed their first BB-8:
tumblr_ngreq6pm9x1rdjq2mo1_1280.jpg

iosefe

Nope ALL of the EU is gone.

Lucasfilm stated that all Star Wars material released prior to Spring 2014 is non-canon sans The Clone Wars & the 6 films.

Also on another note the R2 Builders Club has completed their first BB-8:
tumblr_ngreq6pm9x1rdjq2mo1_1280.jpg

whats the word on functionality?

Cheebo

Banned
No functionality yet but they are in the process of making it functional and seem pretty confident they will have models ready soon.

Lucasfilm actually poached from the R2 Builders Club, a lot of them actually work in the Lucasfilm creature shop these days.

Cheebo

Banned
Fisher said once both she and Ford were high on cocaine when they filmed the landing at cloud city scene in Empire. Coke and Star Wars have a long history ;)

Aiii

So not worth it
Fisher said once both she and Ford were high on cocaine when they filmed the landing at cloud city scene in Empire. Coke and Star Wars have a long history ;)

Coke and Hollywood would be a more apt description really, back in those days it was pretty much one big coke party all day every day there.

Dr Prob

Banned
I'm reading Legacy (comic) for the first time. It's quite amazing. Half way through, and this is definitely film material. Or a really good series. Yea, I'd prefer a TV show. Pirates, smugglers, Imperial Knights. Sith and Jedi. Force Ghost. This is brilliant writing, and at times the art is just as brilliant.

Krayt and his One Sith are brutal. I love it.

In case any other champions like Jaeger are interested; since Dark Horse is losing the license they're having a huge (digital format) SW blowout until 1/1:

yzu8rq4.png

Everything 50% off

tYb00gp.png

Or just buy the entire library for $300

I'm buying two of everything for Cheebo.

Faiz

Saw the DH sale when it started. I should have anticipated it and put some money back but Xmas and prior holiday sales have pretty much killed it for me.

Coke and Hollywood would be a more apt description really, back in those days it was pretty much one big coke party all day every day there.

When the Blues Brothers came out in 1980, the joke around Hollywood was that it was a $40 million movie...$20 million for the production and $20 million for cocaine.

Cheebo

Banned
Nearly everyone in the Star Wars trilogy was doing cocaine. Bill Dee, Fisher, Ford, etc. Only one who seemed to steer clear of it was Mark Hamill.

Top Bottom