• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: In Production [Rumors/SPOILERS for All Films Past, Present, & Future]

Cheebo

Banned
It's hard to tell if these coke stories are serious or not.
Uh...Carrie Fisher is very public about the cocaine use on the Star Wars set by her and others. She has written about it in her autobiography.

Fisher has talked about her past drug problems many times and mentioned how many others on set including Ford did as well. You guys got to remember this was the late 70s. Nearly everyone in Hollywood was using Coke then.

It doesnt deserve a thread. The massive amount of coke usage on the Star Wars sets has been public knowledge for well over 20 years...

Stills of the new Falcon render and set:

qZUT09z.jpg
MtnFRq5.jpg

In late November Lucasfilm posted a minute-and-a-half-long teaser trailer of the new movie on YouTube. It has since been viewed over 51 million times. The teaser shows a brief glimpse of the updated Falcon (along with a much debated, newly designed lightsaber), but our issue provides the first close-up shots.

Lucasfilm’s special effects division, Industrial Light & Magic (ILM), worked with Fortune to create both the cover and opening photograph in the story, an inside look at the innovative technologies used across Disney’s diverse businesses and brands. The collaboration started with our photo shoot with CEO Iger earlier this month in New York. The photos were then turned over to ILM to, well, work their magic. Not surprisingly, the secretive division was mum about the exact process for creating the realistic shot of Iger standing right on set, casually leaning against a chunk of metal (the image seen in the opening pages of the story).

As for the cover shot, Yannick Dusseault, visual effects art director for The Force Awakens, and his team gave Fortune six options showing the Falcon in different ways. The resulting image required the custom rendering of ILM’s computer generated Falcon. According to ILM, the fabled ship was rendered in wireframe form (a skeletal version) as well as a more layered “textured render,” which were combined in Photoshop to create the final image.

Exclusive: Behind the scenes of Fortune's new cover—Bob Iger and the Millennium Falcon

Lokimaru

Most of the Empire's brass is made up of a bunch of spineless toadies, bullies and incompetents, Once Tarkin,Vader and the Emperor went down I don't think anyone else would have had the balls to step forward and assume control for very long. Once the Rebellion had cut of the head of the Beast the regional Governors would have faced stiff opposition from the ousted Senators and the People. That would have lead to infighting and power grabs straining the empires' resources.

Jabba's dead so the Hutts are probibly at War with the Other Crime Families looking to make a power grab. That means Increased Smuggling and Piracy which would have strained the Empires resources even more.

I really don't see how their could still be a fully functioning Empire Thirty years hence unless the Galactic Civil War turned into a Galactic Colds War with the Galaxy divided down the middle like Tripping the Rift.

120v

i would think that the empire had been absorbed by another entity, like perhaps the remaining factions surrendered to the republic and there was a civil war or a dispute that put them back on the "bad" side

i doubt they'd just go with "the battle of endor wasn't really that big of a victory after all"

Hex

Banned
It has been twenty years.
That has been plenty of time for power hunger and greed to show itself again as well as something to rebuild and drum up support in the shadows.
Everything does not become utopian just because the empire fell.
The rebellion was what it was, but there is no guarantee that whoever is put in power after will be able to hold things together.
That is just politics.
When the Empire fell there would have been a huge ripple and many would make plays for the Senate.

I'm interested if they will retain some resemblence of the rebel alliance, or if they're going to be an established new republic like in the expanded universe. Will it be like Cold War U.S. or Cold War Germany?

All the spoilers I've read seem to point to episode vii at a standstill from ROTJ, and that the Empire has managed to retain control of Coruscant. I hope that if that's the case that it could be Disney hinting at a possible bluray release of the original trilogy.

DodgerSan

Anyone care to speculate on why the empire still exists?

It's been pretty much answered, but has anyone given the official movie answer?

"That's impossible! How will the Emperor maintain control without the bureaucracy?"

"The Regional governors now have direct control over their territories."

In a Galaxy spanning Empire, those territories are going to be huge, giving those Regional Governors a LOT of power. They aren't just going to give that up because the boss has died. More likely they're vying to be the next top dog.

I know this hasn't been covered alot lately, but would it make that Coruscant remain under Empire control if they're to be more marginalized post ROTJ?

Wark

I think this is the first time a piece of concept art from Episode VII reminds me more of the prequels than Ralph McQuarrie's old art. This TIE looks straight out of the Clone Wars.

That's exactly what I was thinking too. I think the overall colorization is the reason why it looks like something from the prequel trilogy. I could totally imagine it being in Clone Wars.

It's been pretty much answered, but has anyone given the official movie answer?

In a Galaxy spanning Empire, those territories are going to be huge, giving those Regional Governors a LOT of power. They aren't just going to give that up because the boss has died. More likely they're vying to be the next top dog.

Pretty much my guess. The Empire was held together more or less entirely by the will of the Emperor, but individual governors still had a lot of power. What happens when the Emperor died is probably what always happened when a first-generation emperor controlling vast swathes of territory dies without a clear successor; all his underlings start duking it out for the number 1 spot. Hell, it'd explain the new Stormtrooper designs as well.

DeathyBoy

Banned
Pretty much my guess. The Empire was held together more or less entirely by the will of the Emperor, but individual governors still had a lot of power. What happens when the Emperor died is probably what always happened when a first-generation emperor controlling vast swathes of territory dies without a clear successor; all his underlings start duking it out for the number 1 spot. Hell, it'd explain the new Stormtrooper designs as well.

Not to mention how it'd create a power vacuum. Many worlds in Star Wars probably didn't mind the Empire's influence, and aren't going to suddenly be all 'REPUBLIC... WHOO.'

sphagnum

Banned
Well there's always the Endor holocaust theory that it experienced nuclear winter after the Death Star II blew up, but that's always been fan silliness out of hatred for the Ewoks.

Since there is concept art showing the cyborg holding Vader's helmet though, if they go through with that as a plot element then someone must have gotten it from Endor. It's not a stretch to think that the snow forest world could be Endor if the film shows him retrieving the helmet.

sphagnum

Banned
It's likely a Tie Bomber.

The old ones had a side piece like that where the bombs were stored and dropped from.

Unless this is a Tie Fighter updated to have shields, life support and lightspeed.

Kind of weird for a TIE bomber to have red marks and imperial guards. I'd assume either Kylo Ren, the chrometrooper commander (Captain Phasma?), or someone more important to be on it.

prag16

Banned

The old ones had a side piece like that where the bombs were stored and dropped from.

Unless this is a Tie Fighter updated to have shields, life support and lightspeed.

Vader's TIE Advanced had shields at the minimum, and a hyperdrive as well I think (without having a "side piece").

I'm not even sure this is a side piece. Looks like it could just be a setup where the cockpit is pushed forward, and just appears to be to the side due to the viewing angle.

maharg

idspispopd
I think the odd angle is making people think it's asymmetrical. I'm pretty sure it's just a swept wing, though, leading to the panels. The cockpit is probably centered.

Code:
|\ /|
  o

Can't wait to see the Struzan poster, assuming the rumors of him doing it are true.

They'll get him. I have a hard time believing Abrams is going as old-school as he can in as many ways as possible and he DOESN'T have Struzan doing the poster on the checklist.

That said - Phil Noto basically had a poster drafted and ready to go within the day the trailer dropped. If Struzan won't do it - get Noto.

The Darth Vader voice change mask is probably just a matter of them still having a ton of stock from when that thing was in stores for Revenge of the Sith.

"Is the helmet in this movie?"
"Pretty sure, yeah."
"Repackage this fucking thing and get it out there. I'm sick of storing these."

Sorta like how Marvel kept recycling the Hulk Hands from 2003.

Woorloog

Banned

Nah, it is obviously a new TIE Shuttle (but not to be confused with the old TIE Shuttle that was basically a shuttle-conversion of the TIE Bomber, and only seen super-briefly in the Empire Strikes Back).

Note the ramp, very similar to what the Lambda-class shuttle had.

Guy.brush

They'll get him. I have a hard time believing Abrams is going as old-school as he can in as many ways as possible and he DOESN'T have Struzan doing the poster on the checklist.

That said - Phil Noto basically had a poster drafted and ready to go within the day the trailer dropped. If Struzan won't do it - get Noto.

Struzan did the ROTS poster too but that was super crap, they cut his work up and did lots of PS work on it.

Top Bottom