• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: In Production [Rumors/SPOILERS for All Films Past, Present, & Future]

Love this.

force_awakens_by_arkadeburt-d8bvvoj.jpg

Matt

Most of the Empire's brass is made up of a bunch of spineless toadies, bullies and incompetents, Once Tarkin,Vader and the Emperor went down I don't think anyone else would have had the balls to step forward and assume control for very long. Once the Rebellion had cut of the head of the Beast the regional Governors would have faced stiff opposition from the ousted Senators and the People. That would have lead to infighting and power grabs straining the empires' resources.

Jabba's dead so the Hutts are probibly at War with the Other Crime Families looking to make a power grab. That means Increased Smuggling and Piracy which would have strained the Empires resources even more.

I really don't see how their could still be a fully functioning Empire Thirty years hence unless the Galactic Civil War turned into a Galactic Colds War with the Galaxy divided down the middle like Tripping the Rift.

After Alexander the Great died his Empire didn't simply go away.

Cheebo

Banned
Apparently Kylo Ren's going to appear on all of the toys in The Force Awakens line. Sounds like they'll be pushing him hard.
Sounds like he will be the Vader like mascot. Who would have ever thought before this movie that Adam Driver would be the face of endless kids toys?

Faiz

Wait...I thought people were mad about that.

Colbert pretty much shut everyone up on that front.

I don't think people were mad exactly. Fans just like to argue about things. Star Wars more than others. I wasn't mad; I thought it looked kinda cool, but still kinda made me raise my eyebrows. Colbert certainly made me laugh at myself, but didn't exactly squelch my questions either. :p

I do know, however, I'll be among the first in line to buy a Kylo Ren Black Series figure. :p

Jaeger

I don't think people were mad exactly. Fans just like to argue about things. Star Wars more than others. I wasn't mad; I thought it looked kinda cool, but still kinda made me raise my eyebrows. Colbert certainly made me laugh at myself, but didn't exactly squelch my questions either. :p

I do know, however, I'll be among the first in line to buy a Kylo Ren Black Series figure. :p

Dude. Ima buy like 7 of each figure in the line. Lol

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
And the most important aspect, the stupid cross guard is more dangerous to the user than it is usefull

Not really. Real swords are very dangerous to the untrained, and I'd imagine even a "normal" lightsaber would be far more so. If we can accept Obi Wan handing Luke his father's lightsaber without worry, why can't we accept a cross-hilt lightsaber in the hands of a trained expert?

maharg

idspispopd
Not really. Real swords are very dangerous to the untrained, and I'd imagine even a "normal" lightsaber would be far more so. If we can accept Obi Wan handing Luke his father's lightsaber without worry, why can't we accept a cross-hilt lightsaber in the hands of a trained expert?

Is there a How It Should Have Ended for ANH where Luke just impales himself on the lightsaber right after Obi gives it to him? There should be.

Blader

Colbert didn't even take into account the Magnetic Stabilizing Ring.

And the most important aspect, the stupid cross guard is more dangerous to the user than it is usefull

I'd assume, for the sake of an interesting movie, that anyone who would build a crossguard into their lightsaber is skilled enough to not hurt themselves on it.

Lightsabers are rife with impractical handling issues that, "in reality," would maim or kill their user quite easily. I always chalk it up to Force wizardry as to how someone wielding a lightsaber is able to quickly and subconsciously avoid hitting themselves with it.

Lightsaber safety concerns have been nonexistent since the day Obi Wan put a blinding helmet on a noob user in the middle of space, in a fucking space ship, and had a droid shoot lasers at him.

C'mon, guys.

jett

D-Member
Lightsaber safety concerns have been nonexistent since the day Obi Wan put a blinding helmet on a noob user in the middle of space, in a fucking space ship, and had a droid shoot lasers at him.

C'mon, guys.

These jedi are some real dumbasses. No wonder they got wiped out!

C'mon, guys.

Not just any noob, though.

THE CHOSEN NOOB

I still think it looks dumb.

Is there a How It Should Have Ended for ANH where Luke just impales himself on the lightsaber right after Obi gives it to him? There should be.

There is that picture that says "he's your father's lightsaber...It was used to murder 30 children."

My only problem with the saber is in presentation. The way the guard shoots out after the blade extends screams gimmick. If it had extended at the same time as the blade I'd be 100 percent ok with it.

mjc

There is that picture that says "he's your father's lightsaber...It was used to murder 30 children."

My only problem with the saber is in presentation. The way the guard shoots out after the blade extends screams gimmick. If it had extended at the same time as the blade I'd be 100 percent ok with it.

Might be meant as a secondary option too, having the crossguards ignite I mean.

I'm not sure if this has already been discussed... but I just think it would be awesome if an Ewok was a Sith Lord. I mean they have the crazy eyes already...

An Ewok doing Yoda-like light saber combat is an instant win!

Most people seem to believe he just kitbashed together his own saber, like he appears to have kitbashed his whole look and basically his belief system.

Which, if that's the case, is a great bit of business - it allows Kasdan/Abrams to literally make a Star Wars fan the main villain of the new Star Wars trilogy, essentially.

Real Hero

I'm not sure if this has already been discussed... but I just think it would be awesome if an Ewok was a Sith Lord. I mean they have the crazy eyes already...

An Ewok doing Yoda-like light saber combat is an instant win!

I felt a great disturbance in the Force, as if millions of voices suddenly cried out in terror

Most people seem to believe he just kitbashed together his own saber, like he appears to have kitbashed his whole look and basically his belief system.

Which, if that's the case, is a great bit of business - it allows Kasdan/Abrams to literally make a Star Wars fan the main villain of the new Star Wars trilogy, essentially.

This occurred to me when I first heard that he was a collector. In a way he can basically represent the fans and be a provider of nostalgia. Fans who tend to like the villains will be especially pleased.

I know this may seem off topic, but let's speculate on the directing style JJ Abrams is going to use in Force Awakens. Do you think the acting a dialogue will be on the level of the original trilogy, or will they aim for something more sublime, like something out of films with solid performances, like What's Eating Gilbert Grape or Dead Poet's Society? They initially had Michael Arndt writing the script, so even though he's gone, perhaps there the chance that Kasdan and Abrams will decide to retain a level of dialogue on par with the material he's done on his previous films.

But imagine if the dialogue was captivating enough to surpass the ot, which isn't a hard thing to do, but would it not be as jarring a comparison as it was between how awful the pt was in comparison to the ot?

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
I know this may seem off topic, but let's speculate on the directing style JJ Abrams is going to use in Force Awakens. Do you think the acting a dialogue will be on the level of the original trilogy, or will they aim for something more sublime, like something out of films with solid performances, like What's Eating Gilbert Grape or Dead Poet's Society? They initially had Michael Arndt writing the script, so even though he's gone, perhaps there the chance that Kasdan and Abrams will decide to retain a level of dialogue on par with the material he's done on his previous films.

But imagine if the dialogue was captivating enough to surpass the ot, which isn't a hard thing to do, but would it not be as jarring a comparison as it was between how awful the pt was in comparison to the ot?

I personally expect TFA to try and stay close to the dialogue style of the original trilogy, with slight deviations. You can see how JJ has aped the style of earlier films before, such as in the Spielberg-esque Super 8.

While Star Wars may someday break free of the 1930s serial style (screen wipes, pulp hero dialogue, etc), I don't think they will try for this first episode. I think it will be an exercise in recreating what made it really work in 1977-83. They want to recreate the feel of the OT even as they introduce hooks that can go in new directions. Later it may evolve.

Yes, but what will the dialogue be like? Abrams has really gone out of his way to give fans reassurance of the product by announcing, and later showcasing puppets and soundstages. Why hasn't he done the same in terms of dialogue, which was as much a point of contention with the fans as Lucas' over reliance of CGI? It's not like he'd be revealing any spoilers if he were to elaborate on the manner of dialogue that's being used in the film.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Yes, but what will the dialogue be like? Abrams has really gone out of his way to give fans reassurance of the product by announcing, and later showcasing puppets and soundstages. Why hasn't he done the same in terms of dialogue, which was as much a point of contention with the fans as Lucas' over reliance of CGI? It's not like he'd be revealing any spoilers if he were to elaborate on the manner of dialogue that's being used in the film.

It's not really time to show the interpersonal relationships between the characters (and thus dialogue), I'd say. We just had a trailer with flashes of the characters and little else. Wait for Trailer #2 to even start that discussion.

I expect smarter dialogue than the prequels, obviously. Probably better than the original trilogy. But not by that much. I think it will be stylized like the OT, but with a more conscious understanding of the pulp style that they are going for, and more conscious attempts to say something meaningful within the framework of that.

Bishop89

Don't think we would be able to analysis the dialogue from the very small amount from the trailer

It's not really time to show the interpersonal relationships between the characters (and thus dialogue), I'd say. We just had a trailer with flashes of the characters and little else. Wait for Trailer #2 to even start that discussion.

I expect smarter dialogue than the prequels, obviously. Probably better than the original trilogy. But not by that much. I think it will be stylized like the OT, but with a more conscious understanding of the pulp style that they are going for, and more conscious attempts to say something meaningful within the framework of that.

Was the prequel dialogue intentional on the part of Lucas? I remember that was somewhat the consensus when everyone saw episode I and were somewhat shocked at how awful the dialogue was. It was like people were trying to reason that it was by design.

Top Bottom