• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: In Production [Rumors/SPOILERS for All Films Past, Present, & Future]

Not really. Real swords are very dangerous to the untrained I'd imagine even a "normal" lightsaber would be far more so. If we can accept Obi Wan handing Luke his father's lightsaber without worry, why can't we accept a cross-hilt lightsaber in the hands of a trained expert?
Because the Cross guard of a real sword won't cut off the hands of the user. What do people think when i say "more dangerous to the user? He's going to hit his thigh with it?

I'd assume, for the sake of an interesting movie, that anyone who would build a crossguard into their lightsaber is skilled enough to not hurt themselves on it.
He's going to have plot shields around his forearms to keep his hands from being cut off by the cross guard

Not anymore than a standard constant beam of hot cut through anything plasma energy sword.
Actually it is more dangerous. Apparently you 3 and JJ are the only ones to think it an OK idea.

Zeus7

I have recently rekindled my love for Star Wars. I believe that Kylo Ren is on Endor and is going to find Anakins grave.

I have a few questions however, these imperial guards in the concept art, are they a highly trained, special forces type only guarding the highest ranking? I'm at season 4 in TCW and hopefully they will make an appearance I would like to see more of them.

Next question, from the concept art. Does it appear to be two Sith that are half machine? The new mask is very cool but I have seen the other images where it appears to be a long thin mask, and others where you can see some of the face. Unless of course this is just the various concept designs for the same character.

prag16

Banned
Because the Cross guard of a real sword won't cut off the hands of the user. What do people think when i say "more dangerous to the user? He's going to hit his thigh with it?

He's going to have plot shields around his forearms to keep his hands from being cut off by the cross guard

Actually it is more dangerous. Apparently you 3 and JJ are the only ones to think it an OK idea.
Way to speak for... everybody in the world except those three people you quoted. Seems legit.

Most of the people railing against the crossguard seem to be suffering from a textbook case of nerd rage. I agree with the three posters you quoted, so I guess now there's only four people in the world who disagree with you.

Isn't a big part of the reason you only really ever see Jedi using Lightsabers because for most people they're just too dangerous without the force awareness component? NO reason that wouldn't extend to the crossguard.

FeD.nL

Stupid question probably, but is Dash Rendar still part of the official canon due to the Outrider appearing in SE of ANH or is he out of the continuity? Still hope to see that ship in a film one day, was my favorite toy back in the day.

Cheebo

Banned
Stupid question probably, but is Dash Rendar still part of the official canon due to the Outrider appearing in SE of ANH or is he out of the continuity? Still hope to see that ship in a film one day, was my favorite toy back in the day.
Dash Rendar never was in any canon media so he is not part of continuity.

FeD.nL

Dash Rendar never was in any canon media so he is not part of continuity.

Ah ok, thanks. Just that one shot of the Outrider leaving Tantooine always made my imagination run wild, coupled with the toy and the N64 version of Shadows of the Empire back in the day.

Cheebo

Banned
Do yourself a favor and never re-read that novel. It aged so really really badly. Let it live in nostalgia. GAFs own Bobby Robberts podcast did a great episode about how badly Shadows of the Empire holds up.

Blader

I loved the N64 game back in the day, but it was also like the second console game I ever owned. I didn't know any better!

I could see a Dash Rendar-ish character (if not Rendar himself) being used for one of the spinoffs, honestly.

I don't know how awesome that would be, but I could see it happening.

And Cheebo: Thanks for the shout-out! That Shadows of the Empire episode was fun. People really seemed to have forgotten how gross and dumb that book really was.

Soundtrack is great, though.

prag16

Banned
Ha, so if I reread Shadows of the Empire for the third time, it's gonna all of a sudden suck just because around a decade has passed since the last time I read it? Cool story. I mean, I realize now and realized back then that Rendar and Xizor are sort of ridiculous characters in some ways... But I guess I'll reserve judgment until I check out the podcast in question when I have a lull at work tomorrow, to put it on in the background.

Not

Banned
There's a little too much weird 80's sci-fi in the expanded universe. Seems kinda un-Star Wars to me sometimes

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
There's a little too much weird 80's sci-fi in the expanded universe. Seems kinda un-Star Wars to me sometimes

The EU barely got going until 1991's Heir to the Empire... so I'd say it's really 90s sci-fi you're thinking of.

Now if those early Marvel comics had become canon to the EU, then I'd agree with you...

Now if those early Marvel comics had become canon to the EU, then I'd agree with you...

WOOOOOOOOOOH JAXXONNNNN

894541-jaxxon.jpg

heh - we talk a little about Jaxxon in this week's podcast, coincidentally.

With Shadows, it's not that it's just a bad book. It's that a lot of the sort of uniquely shitty aspects of 90s genre fiction/comics seem to have thoroughly stained that book. It's kinda like how people in the 90s didn't really stop to notice just how fucking stupid all those pouches and thigh-straps were on the X-Men while the 90s were going. The readers were all wearing hypercolor shirts, jorts, and fanny-packs themselves, yunno?

But then you get almost 20 years distance, and you look back and you're like "Man, what the fuck were they thinking writing a Star Wars book where a lizardy rapist sneaks a camera into Leia's changing room, screencapping footage for fap sessions with his sexdroid?"

That kinda thing. Along with the mediocre plotting and straight-up bad characterization of pretty much everyone in the book.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious

With Shadows, it's not that it's just a bad book. It's that a lot of the sort of uniquely shitty aspects of 90s genre fiction/comics seem to have thoroughly stained that book. It's kinda like how people in the 90s didn't really stop to notice just how fucking stupid all those pouches and thigh-straps were on the X-Men while the 90s were going. The readers were all wearing hypercolor shirts, jorts, and fanny-packs themselves, yunno?

But then you get almost 20 years distance, and you look back and you're like "Man, what the fuck were they thinking writing a Star Wars book where a lizardy rapist sneaks a camera into Leia's changing room, screencapping footage for fap sessions with his sexdroid?"

That kinda thing. Along with the mediocre plotting and straight-up bad characterization of pretty much everyone in the book.

Maybe it's that the 2010s are a unique blip in human history where jorts and fanny packs are decried, a strange moment in human history, and soon we will come to appreciate things like Shadows of the Empire and hypercolor shorts once again?

Hmm?

Oh, I'm sure that time will soon come, once this decade has finished wiping its mouth on the 80s.

I'm not so sure that time will be an example of enlightement and divine understanding, however.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
Maybe it's that the 2010s are a unique blip in human history where jorts and fanny packs are decried, a strange moment in human history, and soon we will come to appreciate things like Shadows of the Empire and hypercolor shorts once again?

Hmm?
I've got bad news for you about fanny packs, they are in again, if not un-ironically.

B-B-B-But Xizor. He was such a great villain doe.........

hehe

Oh that reminds me of bucky o hare, yikes.

Sadly, I'm pretty positive Jaxxon came before Bucky. At least Bucky was a badass. Jaxxon. Well. Yeesh. Yeah :/

serious question, any idea about if Stormtroopers are going to be more accurate in the film? i just think clumsy, bad shot Stormtroopers would be sort of out of place on screen at this point.

serious question, any idea about if Stormtroopers are going to be more accurate in the film? i just think clumsy, bad shot Stormtroopers would be sort of out of place on screen at this point.

I hope so, they should be badass and menacing. I dont want the joke we have in the OT

Obviously they won't be good enough to kill off the heroes/main characters. Maybe we'll see them char innocents like they did to Owen and Beru.

Colbert pretty much shut everyone up on that front.

I don't even agree with the argument Colbert showed, I don't think it works that way, I just shut up because I remembered what Star Wars is. Practical technology has never, never, never been part of it. Trying to criticize that aspect of the franchise demands you either arbitrarily nitpick or commit and jump down a rabbit hole you'll never find the bottom of.

maharg

idspispopd
loved the N64 game, although it wasnt really good either.

I always felt like they put almost all their effort into the game into the first part on Hoth where you're taking down the AT-ATs. And it shows, it was and maybe still is the best video game representation of that particular part of ESB (which is actually saying something, it's probably one of the most reproduced parts of the trilogy in games). But from there it was all downhill.

prag16

Banned
I always felt like they put almost all their effort into the game into the first part on Hoth where you're taking down the AT-ATs. And it shows, it was and maybe still is the best video game representation of that particular part of ESB (which is actually saying something, it's probably one of the most reproduced parts of the trilogy in games). But from there it was all downhill.
I played it again recently, and it holds up okay. Better than some games from the era. It wasn't and isn't spectacular. But pretty solid and fun imo. The first level is a highlight, but the Fett fight and final space fight were also fun and memorable for me, even a couple of the other stages were crap.

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.

A couple videos here where someone actually tried this out with mockups and paint.
http://io9.com/if-this-doesnt-sell-you-on-episode-viis-new-lightsaber-1678874153

Huh.

I wonder if my earlier speculation about Kinberg carrying more weight at Lucasfilm was closer to the mark than I'd believed. I mean - probably not, but still - Weisman just quietly gets moved off of Rebels, and now Whitta gets taken off the spinoff, and in both cases, Kinberg seems to be the guy doing the pushing.

edit: also, if the film IS a movie about the heisting of the Death Star plans - I'm wondering if Kinberg's rewrite is intended to actually either bring it in line, or allow for it to be linked to Rebels somehow, considering speculation about that show is that the crew of the Ghost will eventually be involved with that mission near the end of its run.

iosefe

Huh.

I wonder if my earlier speculation about Kinberg carrying more weight at Lucasfilm was closer to the mark than I'd believed. I mean - probably not, but still - Weisman just quietly gets moved off of Rebels, and now Whitta gets taken off the spinoff, and in both cases, Kinberg seems to be the guy doing the pushing.

edit: also, if the film IS a movie about the heisting of the Death Star plans - I'm wondering if Kinberg's rewrite is intended to actually either bring it in line, or allow for it to be linked to Rebels somehow, considering speculation about that show is that the crew of the Ghost will eventually be involved with that mission near the end of its run.

but what about all the bothans who died to get them the information

Cheebo

Banned
I do think Kinberg being the main man in the writers room on Rebels and now apparently on a film that ties to that era could be very significant in terms of how interconnected the stories of that part of the timeline are.

but what about all the bothans who died to get them the information

Talked about that on this week's Full of Sith, actually - she just said Bothans died. She didn't say how they died.

It's possible Bothans just got aced running interference for whoever it was that actually jacked the info. it doesn't mean Bothans themselves were the only group involved in the heist.

Huh? I assure, most people actually don't care. In this fantasy world, it is no more dangerous than traditional laser beam super weapons these magic-men use.

Watch the character get his hand cut off mere seconds into his first lightsaber battle. All the hilt-haters will be delirious with joy.

Guys, it's Star Wars, it looks cool. Who cares?

iosefe

Talked about that on this week's Full of Sith, actually - she just said Bothans died. She didn't say how they died.

It's possible Bothans just got aced running interference for whoever it was that actually jacked the info. it doesn't mean Bothans themselves were the only group involved in the heist.

what a great podcast name. share a link?

Top Bottom