• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: In Production [Rumors/SPOILERS for All Films Past, Present, & Future]

Boem

Anyone still reading the new comics? Read the second issue just now, still fun. It's still a bit heavy on repeating old catchphrases/jokes, but I assume that will decrease a bit over time. It's interesting that this is basically the point where
Vader starts figuring out Luke is his son,
which will probably annoy some people but eh, it doesn't change anything about how I see the old movies. Just like how I'm not thinking about speeches about sand when I see Vader in Empire Strikes Back, I'm not the kind of guy whose opinion on certain characters in the classic trilogy changes because of a 2015 comic. And hey, it's a fun thing for the comic to be playing around with.

I'm guessing we'll have
a space battle in the next issue, seeing as how they're going to have to escape from the planet and Vader now. They still have to get C3P0 and the missing Falcon pieces back first though.

Woorloog

Banned
Anyone still reading the new comics? Read the second issue just now, still fun. It's still a bit heavy on repeating old catchphrases/jokes, but I assume that will decrease a bit over time. It's interesting that this is basically the point where
Vader starts figuring out Luke is his son,
which will probably annoy some people but eh, it doesn't change anything about how I see the old movies.

I'm guessing we'll have
a space battle in the next issue, seeing as how they're going to have to escape from the planet and Vader now. They still have to get C3P0 and the missing Falcon pieces back first though.

The Empire Strikes Back makes it clear Vader knows something. Remember the intro crawl?
And that Vader-Emperor discussion makes it clear, old or new version, i think.

I believe they did. I think it looks similar to how it does in that photo/artwork that got LFL on that one dude's ass.

That's fantastic news. (not that the LFL is one some guy's ass, but that they dropped the lines).

Mask is perfect. The right amount of sinister with echoes of the Vader mask to boot.

JonnyBrad

The Empire Strikes Back makes it clear Vader knows something. Remember the intro crawl?
And that Vader-Emperor discussion makes it clear, old or new version, i think.

The new version has the crap dialogue where the Emperor says something like "I have no doubt he is the rebel pilot who destroyed the death star and that he's the son of Anakin Skywalker" They don't actually know his name unlike in the original cut.

Taking the original version into account. It all depends on how you treat the Skywalker name. If there is a kid running around who was really powerful with the force and his surname is the Star Wars version of Smith its probably just a coincidence. If its not a common name they'd have both been pants on head retarded not to work out who Luke was.

prag16

Banned
The new version has the crap dialogue where the Emperor says something like "I have no doubt he is the rebel pilot who destroyed the death star and that he's the son of Anakin Skywalker" They don't actually know his name unlike in the original cut.

Taking the original version into account. It all depends on how you treat the Skywalker name. If there is a kid running around who was really powerful with the force and his surname is the Star Wars version of Smith its probably just a coincidence. If its not a common name they'd have both been pants on head retarded not to work out who Luke was.

Wasn't the "son of Skywalker" thing in the original 1980 cut already? Or am I misunderstanding what you're trying to convey.

inm8num2

Exclusive: J.J. Abrams Talks STAR WARS: THE FORCE AWAKENS and That New Lightsaber (Collider)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1zjAtb2Nqmg

“I will say that what’s been funny is, since the lightsaber’s come out, I cannot tell you how many contradictory emails I have received from people who have both defended it with unbelievably detailed graphics…I’ve gotten things that are nuts, and I’ve gotten people who’ve shown how it’ll kill you and how it doesn’t make any sense. It’s been the funniest thing to see the arguments that have developed over this thing.”
The director said that he hasn’t yet seen a first cut of Star Wars: The Force Awakens since they’re still editing, but he did briefly tease the film’s sequence that was shot in IMAX, confirming that the large-format is relegated to just one portion of the film:

“It’s really one sequence so it’s not a ton [of IMAX footage], but it’s a good sequence.”
With regards to the future of the Star Wars franchise, Abrams confirmed that he’s involved as an executive producer on Episode VIII and Episode IX, but that at least Episode VIII belongs to writer/director Rian Johnson:

“I wouldn’t say 8 and 9 are my baby, Rian will be working at least on 8, but I’m executive producing those films, yeah.”

Some other tidbits in the interview CG vs. practical effects.

Rootbeer

Banned
what a great little interview... surely most people concerned about the lightsaber must know there would have been a LOT of conversation about its design before moving forward with it... but it's still a wonderful thing to hear him say.

Having faith!

MattyG

Banned
I'm watching RotJ right now. Just got to the Jabba's Palace music number and remembered the edits they made to it. God, it's such shit, and looks so out of place.

Jarmel

Banned
Well the lightsaber has definitely worked as a conversation starter. Interesting to see how it works on the screen.

MattyG

Banned
Surprisingly the 1997 cgi in the scene aged well. But the scene itself is awful.
Yeah, it didn't look too bad in and of itself, but juxtaposed with the practical effects and just the general look of everything else, it's so awful. And the baby talk song with that goddamn close shot of the lips. Ugh.

Rootbeer

Banned
I have a hard time imagining how Luke's son of all people would turn to the empire... they'd better have some DAMN good reasons for it. Even if he is working both sides, for him to in any way compromise the rebellion's efforts betrays everything they have been focusing on for most of their lives.

But, it could set up some interesting dynamics between him and Luke, especially if Luke manages to last into Episode IX. It would turn the Father vs Son dynamic upside down from what we saw in the OT, no?

Poor Luke, not only did he have to fight and essentially kill his own father but he may end up needing to do the same to his own son.

The big piece missing for me in all of this is that if the Empire is still around after ALL these years, what continues to drive them? Who is running things? We need some major force that can rival Palpatine in some way, and so far none of the leaks are cluing us in on what that could be. The idea of this headless empire running around all these decades doesn't strike me as very compelling

Looper is fantastic. All of Rian's films are really great actually, with the weakest being The Brother's Bloom.

I've only seen Brick but I loved it.

edit: Maybe he's the Jedi equivalent of a muggle and Luke's obvious disappointment drove him away. Not to the dark side obviously, but that just made him madder.

I still don't understand the hate Ewoks get, I fucking love them.

Except for the tall creepy looking ones.

I don't hate Ewoks. My problem with them is that I didn't think they belonged in the final episode of this huge saga. But since that's not the final episode anymore, they're okay now. These new movies have saved the Ewoks.

MattyG

Banned
Do you guys think Leia will have any degree of Jedi training in episode VII? Luke says in RotJ that she has the power (of the Force I'm guessing) and that "in time" she'll learn to use it. Maybe she learned a bit in between VI and VII?

I don't hate Ewoks. My problem with them is that I didn't think they belonged in the final episode of this huge saga. But since that's not the final episode anymore, they're okay now. These new movies have saved the Ewoks.
Huh, that's a really good point actually. I never thought of it that way.

Woorloog

Banned
I still don't understand the hate Ewoks get, I fucking love them.

Except for the tall creepy looking ones.

I reckon it has to do with this "rooting for the empire" phenomena. And the fact them being able to overpower the Stormtroopers is utterly stupid. The Gungans fighting against the droid army? It works, because they are a relatively advanced species, though they are losing so...
Ewoks vs Stormtroopers, oh please, it only works because good guys must win.

Overall, i really like the Return of the Jedi. The space battle is wonderful. Endor is nice, i like the speeder bike chase, heck, overall the battles there are great, and the Ewok village is pretty cool. Luke vs Vader/Emperor is one of the best scenes in any film if you ask me. The beginning is the film's weakest part really.

Speaking of space battles, have we heard anything about TFA having space battles or such? I'm not surprised if there ain't any, considering they're likely done purely with CGI and are probably pretty secure compared to other stuff.

I can't wait to hear "lock s-foils in attack position" again. I don't care if it's because nostalgia. That's my favorite line in any movie.

Gravidee

The one part I really don't like about the 1997 Jabba Palace dance is when that hairy alien screams into the viewer's face. It's gross.

MattyG

Banned
I hadn't even thought about it until now, and it's probably way too early to even be thinking about this, but haw far in advance to tickets usually go on sale? A couple weeks? I'm worried that it's gonna be hard as fuck to get 2-3 tickets for a midnight showing.

Again, way too early to be thinking about this, but still.

Cheebo

Banned
Do you guys think Leia will have any degree of Jedi training in episode VII? Luke says in RotJ that she has the power (of the Force I'm guessing) and that "in time" she'll learn to use it. Maybe she learned a bit in between VI and VII?

Huh, that's a really good point actually. I never thought of it that way.
Seems Luke is the last of the Jedi still from what we hear.

I hadn't even thought about it until now, and it's probably way too early to even be thinking about this, but haw far in advance to tickets usually go on sale? A couple weeks? I'm worried that it's gonna be hard as fuck to get 2-3 tickets for a midnight showing.

Couple months, probably. The industry's mostly done away with midnight screenings (although I'm sure theaters will bring them back for Star Wars) so it's more than likely you'll be buying tickets two months out for a 7pm Thursday screening. Or maybe Midnight Wednesday, even.

Cheebo

Banned
Couple months, probably. The industry's mostly done away with midnight screenings (although I'm sure theaters will bring them back for Star Wars) so it's more than likely you'll be buying tickets two months out for a 7pm Thursday screening. Or maybe Midnight Wednesday, even.
I honestly think they will stick to the Friday release (midnight on "Thursday") and not to the 7 pm previews since midnight launch so ingrained in Star Wars. Phantom Menace pretty much kickstarted the whole trend.

Jarmel

Banned

I could still see them doing one for Star Wars though just for the press.

Woorloog

Banned

My friend suggested about two weeks when i asked about this from him. At least, that's here in Finland. Apparently The Hobbit etc. other tickets were/are available about two weeks before the midnight showing.
I doubt Star Wars will get a special treatment compared to other films, so assume the usual to your location.

Blader

I honestly think they will stick to the Friday release (midnight on "Thursday") and not to the 7 pm previews since midnight launch so ingrained in Star Wars. Phantom Menace pretty much kickstarted the whole trend.

A May release date was also ingrained in Star Wars until now. I don't think release tradition is so important anymore.

Woorloog

Banned
Between this and you unsavory slander towards The Force Unleashed, I think you may just be jediist.

The Force Unleashed is a good action game, one of the best i've played (not that i've played many). The story and characters sucked.

As for being a jediist...
Kanan's pretty cool guy. Though his name's terrible... for a Finn. Kanan Jarrus. That almost sounds like Kanan Jarrut, meaning "chicken's breaks" in Finnish.
Ezra is just fucking annoying. And that has nothing to do with him being a jedi.
I am not a fan of the prequel Jedi Order. Such self-righteous assholes. Good riddance. Not that Palps is any better really, he is just a sadistic asshole, the Jedi at least are not sadistic.

EDIT Oh, and Starkiller in TFU was no Jedi, he was a Sith apprentice. Besides, you kill Jedi in the game, doesn't that make you a jediist?

The Force Unleashed is a good action game, one of the best i've played (not that i've played many). The story and characters sucked.

As for being a jediist...
Kanan's pretty cool guy. Though his name's terrible... for a Finn. Kanan Jarrus. That almost sounds like Kanan Jarrut, meaning "chicken's breaks" in Finnish.
Ezra is just fucking annoying. And that has nothing to do with him being a jedi.
I am not a fan of the prequel Jedi Order. Such self-righteous assholes. Good riddance. Not that Palps is any better really, he is just a sadistic asshole, the Jedi at least are not sadistic.

EDIT Oh, and Starkiller in TFU was no Jedi, he was a Sith apprentice. Besides, you kill Jedi in the game, doesn't that make you a jediist?

Starkiller (who is awesome) is Jedi-adjacent; he's a Sith apprentice, but by the end of the game he's split away (assuming you took the canon* good guy route).

It's an interesting position for a character, honestly. I'm not hugely familiar with the EU, but other than some force-sensitive-by-default races, there haven't been many force users who don't really subscribe to the Jedi or Sith philosophies in some way. Jolee Bindo is the only example I can think of off the top of my head, but I'm sure there's at least a few more. It'd be an interesting thing to explore in the movies.

Starkiller (who is awesome) is Jedi-adjacent; he's a Sith apprentice, but by the end of the game he's split away (assuming you took the canon* good guy route).

It's an interesting position for a character, honestly. I'm not hugely familiar with the EU, but other than some force-sensitive-by-default races, there haven't been many force users who don't really subscribe to the Jedi or Sith philosophies in some way. Jolee Bindo is the only example I can think of off the top of my head, but I'm sure there's at least a few more. It'd be an interesting thing to explore in the movies.

Which is odd, because time and again both sides have their issues, and the Force should be more of a spectrum. But that's a bit too much philosophy-waxing for me being this sober.

Woorloog

Banned

Starkiller's a damn mary sure character. Super powerful, defeats Jedi Masters despite not being that proficient yet. Defeats Vader AND Emperor, and that's on the goddamn Death Star. He basically gets the Rebellion going. And what else... Oh, right, he got a super-unique droid and a cloaking device equipped starship in a time when those are all but extinct.
A goddamn power fantasy character.
It does make for fun gameplay.. but they could allow for that gameplay while writing the story and characters well.

The position is interesting. The way the game handles it is terrible.
Or would be interesting, if the philosophies were more interesting and less black and gray. The thing is, the Sith philosophy has no redeemable qualities, ever. It is made abundantly clear.
Qui-Gon Jin or Jolee Bindo like Jedi is the closest to a reasonable deviation from the Jedi way, and frankly the better way if you ask me. Unfortunately that isn't handled that well either in the old EU. Jolee is quite an exception actually. AFAIK.

I reckon the sequel trilogy won't tackle these though, standard Star Wars is black and white, with clear heroes and villains. And it is okay.

Starkiller's a damn mary sure character. Super powerful, defeats Jedi Masters despite not being that proficient yet. Defeats Vader AND Emperor, and that's on the goddamn Death Star. He basically gets the Rebellion going. And what else... Oh, right, he got a super-unique droid and a cloaking device equipped starship in a time when those are all but extinct.
A goddamn power fantasy character.
It does make for fun gameplay.. but they could allow for that gameplay while writing the story and characters well.

The position is interesting. The way the game handles it is terrible.
Or would be interesting, if the philosophies were more interesting and less black and gray. The thing is, the Sith philosophy has no redeemable qualities, ever. It is made abundantly clear.
Qui-Gon Jin or Jolee Bindo like Jedi is the closest to a reasonable deviation from the Jedi way, and frankly the better way if you ask me. Unfortunately that isn't handled that well either in the old EU. Jolee is quite an exception actually. AFAIK.

I reckon the sequel trilogy won't tackle these though, standard Star Wars is black and white, with clear heroes and villains. And it is okay.

Starkiller's definitely a power fantasy character, but I question his Marty Stu status. Dude goes through some shit, and, in the end, fails, is killed, cloned, and tortured for an extensive period.

maharg

idspispopd
Vergere in the NJO series claimed to follow a third path of the force (though there's more than enough ambiguity around her character to leave the truth of that in doubt), which Jacen Solo tried to follow it and eventually fell to the dark side.

Woorloog

Banned
Starkiller's definitely a power fantasy character, but I question his Marty Stu status. Dude goes through some shit, and, in the end, fails, is killed, cloned, and tortured for an extensive period.

I really hope they don't re-canonize him.
I'll note that Canon Sues do not necessarily have a good ending, but what they do while in the picture is what gives them their status. IMO.

By the way, it is funny how nearly all Star Wars PCs from games are Canon Sues.
Let's see... Maarek Stele, from TIE Fighter. Force Sensitive Ace pilot, part of the Emperor's Secret Order and yadda yadda yadda. Apparently became a pilot accidentally as well. That Farlander guy from X-Wing is pretty damn close as well, being Force Sensitive. I class them as Canon Sues because they have no weaknesses, and they're Force Sensitives just because it is cool.
Kyle Katarn? Better known as God. Enough said, no?
And Revan. Just... Revan. Actually, Galen Marek's OK. Just don't re-canonize Revan.

Shutting up about this now. I'll go on about this for the rest of the night (what little is left of it here) otherwise.

Vergere in the NJO series claimed to follow a third path of the force (though there's more than enough ambiguity around her character to leave the truth of that in doubt), which Jacen Solo tried to follow it and eventually fell to the dark side.

Star Wars has two sides. The Light, and the Dark. Gray Jedi like Qui-Gon and Jolee Bindo are good guys, despite their names. They just don't follow the majority rules, but they are decent people. No one who truly treads between the Light and the Dark is a good person... because if they were, they would not start using the Dark Side, like Jacen did. End does not justify the means, in Star Wars universe, at least that's how i see it based on what i know of the old EU.

iosefe

I would think canonizing Revan as he was in the first two games would be fine. But everything post kotor2 is ridiculous and disappointing

I really hope they don't re-canonize him.
I'll note that Canon Sues do not necessarily have a good ending, but what they do while in the picture is what gives them their status. IMO.

By the way, it is funny how nearly all Star Wars PCs from games are Canon Sues.
Let's see... Maarek Stele, from TIE Fighter. Force Sensitive Ace pilot, part of the Emperor's Secret Order and yadda yadda yadda. Apparently became a pilot accidentally as well. That Farlander guy from X-Wing is pretty damn close as well, being Force Sensitive. I class them as Canon Sues because they have no weaknesses, and they're Force Sensitives just because it is cool.
Kyle Katarn? Better known as God. Enough said, no?
And Revan. Just... Revan. Actually, Galen Marek's OK. Just don't re-canonize Revan.

Shutting up about this now. I'll go on about this for the rest of the night (what little is left of it here) otherwise.

Eh. I still think you're throwing around accusations of Sue-hood too widely, but w/e.

I would think canonizing Revan as he was in the first two games would be fine. But everything post kotor2 is ridiculous and disappointing

Can't argue with this. The difficulty is that everyone has a different Revan :p

Vergere was eventually retconned (controversially) to be a Sith.

Woorloog

Banned

Yeah.
I am overall against canonization of PCs, partially because they always insist on setting their attributes. They're nearly always light side male (humans) which is kind of boring. Not every Star Wars game has to be canon either, it is a big enough universe stories can be told without canonizing everything.

Eh. I still think you're throwing around accusations of Sue-hood too widely, but w/e.
I didn't really detail why i think this way. There's more than just dislike, and i don't necessarily dislike PCs in Star Wars either (eg Kyle's good, and Maarek Stele has nothing to dislike exactly).

OldRoutes

Yeah.
I am overall against canonization of PCs, partially because they always insist on setting their attributes. They're nearly always light side male (humans) which is kind of boring. Not every Star Wars game has to be canon either, it is a big enough universe stories can be told without canonizing everything.

And I hope Battlefront won't be, so we can get funky stuff like the old ones.

Woorloog

Banned
And I hope Battlefront won't be, so we can get funky stuff like the old ones.

Unfortunately they have already canonized one of the new mobile games (that "Commander" or some such).
As in, tech in it is canon, not combat.
Unfortunately this leads to stuff like the TIE Defender existing, which is problematic (it is too good not to be used, even if it is really expensive, given the Empire's resources, expensive is not really a valid excuse). Of course, no details about the craft are given so there's hope...

My point is, the probabilities are they will canonize Battlefront's stuff, and probably its campaign, if it has any.

Top Bottom