• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: In Production [Rumors/SPOILERS for All Films Past, Present, & Future]

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
Quite. The only thing to say in is defence is he may not have known at the time he was the blonde kid with Obi Wan on the death star and Skywalker might have been the equivalent of Smith in GFFA.

Splinter of a Minds Eye fucks with the EU loads as well. Having had them meet before ESB and having a lightsaber duel.

Also, in the new comic that's canon...
they meet shortly after the events of ANH and have a lightsaber fight in issue 2. But he doesn't know his name yet.

Cheebo

Banned
is ikwiz one of those shitass "satire" sites that thinks satire is "write a lie poorly and say it's satire when someone calls you on it?"

Not sure exactly, but I saw on twitter Eric Geller of TFN say basically he refuses to give that site time of day to even acknowledge it exists. One of the Making Star Wars guys was mocking it as well.

I mean Abrams said to Collider JUST THIS WEEK that he doesn't even have a first cut done yet and the majority of the cgi work is still incomplete. There is no way he thinks it is ready to come out 4-5 months.

Jarmel

Banned
Could you imagine Iger & Kennedy's looks when Abrams is like "Hey, you know what? Can you pour like, an extra 200 mil at minimum into my post-production budget and maybe move around your summer schedule too? I decided that I wanted to have Star Wars come out this May after all. Sorry for making such a fuss about it last summer."

Woorloog

Banned
Also, in the new comic that's canon...
they meet shortly after the events of ANH and have a lightsaber fight in issue 2. But he doesn't know his name yet.

Why...? Why do they have to fight that early?

Seriously, i will ignore the new EU utterly at this rate.

Jarmel

Banned
Could you imagine Iger & Kennedy's looks when Abrams is like "Hey, you know what? Can you pour like, an extra 200 mil at minimum into my post-production budget and maybe move around your summer schedule too? I decided that I wanted to have Star Wars come out this May after all. Sorry for making such a fuss about it last summer."

Even if I finished early, I would keep my mouth shut just for future negotiations on time tables.

Tookay

There are people in this very thread who were oblivious Vader was lying and thought he learned of Luke's existence from the Emperor.

Doesn't that prove Lucas's point?
Well hey in my defense, I'm pretty sure I've seen Lucas characterize that scene as Vader learning it for the first time time too.

Regardless, I don't think that scene makes much sense for them to be having that conversation midway through ESB instead of before it.

Epcott

While watching Star Wars Rebels today, I just realized we never see aliens enlisted by the Empire. Never a wookie behind a control panel or General Ackbar in Stormgear dishing out commands. It's almost always an old caucasian male with stuffy British accent as a commander, when not behind a mask.

As for the rebels, there's Ackbar, the big eyed co-pilot of Lando in the Falcon in ROJ, Zeb, Chewbacca, diverse Jedi of multiple alien species, and so on... Yet not one non-human amongst the Empire troops (droids not included).

Which leads me to the question... Is the Empire nothing more than xenophobic space Nazis? Sure, they never mention alien genocide, and the closest thing to it was the deaths of supposed humanoids on Alderaan, but it's just something that strikes me as odd.

Anyone think we'll see some alien commanding officers in TFA, aside from Sith?

Darklord

Banned
While watching Star Wars Rebels today, I just realized we never see aliens enlisted by the Empire. Never a wookie behind a control panel or General Ackbar in Stormgear dishing out commands. It's almost always an old caucasian male with stuffy British accent as a commander, when not behind a mask.

As for the rebels, there's Ackbar, the big eyed co-pilot of Lando in the Falcon in ROJ, Zeb, Chewbacca, diverse Jedi of multiple alien species, and so on... Yet not one non-human amongst the Empire troops (droids not included).

Which leads me to the question... Is the Empire nothing more than xenophobic space Nazis? Sure, they never mention alien genocide, and the closest thing to it was the deaths of supposed humanoids on Alderaan, but it's just something that strikes me as odd.

Yes, the Empire is about human superiority over aliens.

Woorloog

Banned
Old EU made it abundantly clear the Empire is humanocentric system. You can see some of that in the OT really, the Rebels have alien allies, the Empire does not.

I think the new EU is influenced enough by the old they decided to keep this aspect.

It is part of the black and white morality Star Wars has.

Well hey in my defense, I'm pretty sure I've seen Lucas characterize that scene as Vader learning it for the first time time too.

Regardless, I don't think that scene makes much sense for them to be having that conversation midway through ESB instead of before it.

One of the points of the scene is that Vader has been keeping his obsession from his master.

To be fair there are no aliens in the rebellion until Jedi. The prequels never give us a reason for it either really. Mind you, Sith just throws Tarkin in at the end without any previous hint that Palpatine's army or fleet consisted of anything but clones.

I think the old beardy dude in the first movie is meant to be an important figure in the rebellion, he greets Leia and is at the ceremony at the end. I always assumed that was the rebel leadership at the end. They're all gone after the first movie.

Woorloog

Banned
I think the old beardy dude in the first movie is meant to be important, he greets Leia and is at the ceremony at the end. He's gone after the first movie.

It is funny how the Rebels got a new general in every film.
Jan Dodonna is seen only in ANH.
Carlist Rieekan is only seen in ESB.
And ROTJ has Crix Madine and Admiral Ackbar... At least TFA has actual reason for not having them, being set so much later.

The imperial officers are all different as well, except for Admiral Piett who I think was brought back due to popular demand.

They probably just weren't obsessed with that level of continuity back then.

Woorloog

Banned
The imperial officers are all different as well, except for Admiral Piett who I think was brought back due to popular demand.

They probably just weren't obsessed with that level of continuity back then.

Well, the ones on the Death Star got blown to smithereens.
Needa and Ozzel were fools, unlike Piett.

The Empire going through their officers has some justification, unlike the Rebels.

Woorloog

Banned
If General Veers had been on Endor the Rebels would have lost.

Oh, right, i forgot that guy. But then he did die, as far as i'm concerned. I don't care what EU claims, given that film clearly implies he is dead.

Certainly unfortunate for the Empire.

It is really funny how the only time the Empire truly wins a battle is a ground assault on a snowy planet, meaning the troopers had suitable camouflage right away...

Oh, right, i forgot that guy. But then he did die, as far as i'm concerned. I don't care what EU claims, given that film clearly implies he is dead.

Certainly unfortunate for the.

It is really funny how the only time the Empire truly wins a battle is a ground assault on a snowy planet, meaning the troopers had suitable camouflage right away...

Are we talking about the guy who leads the ground assault on Hoth? Is it implied his is one of the walkers that's destroyed? Last I remember you see him he's contacting Vader to inform him the shield is down.

Also, the Empire do pretty well at the start of the first movie.

Are we talking about the guy who leads the ground assault on Hoth? Is it implied his is one of the walkers that's destroyed? Last I remember you see him he's contacting Vader to inform him the shield is down.

There's a deleted scene showing his walker getting kamikaze-rammed by one of the Rebel speeders, but obviously it's just a deleted scene, not film canon.

Woorloog

Banned
Wait, it is a deleted scene? Why do i keep remembering it appears in the film...

EDIT Goddamnit, i would prefer it were film canon. Would explain nicely why Veers is not kicking the Rebel ass on Endor!

Vyroxis

Banned
I think the old beardy dude in the first movie is meant to be an important figure in the rebellion, he greets Leia and is at the ceremony at the end. I always assumed that was the rebel leadership at the end. They're all gone after the first movie.

You mean General Dodonna? He was one of the founding members of the Rebellion basically. So yah, he is kind of an important person.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Old EU made it abundantly clear the Empire is humanocentric system. You can see some of that in the OT really, the Rebels have alien allies, the Empire does not.

I think the new EU is influenced enough by the old they decided to keep this aspect.

It is part of the black and white morality Star Wars has.
The only thing missing in this picture was that Palpatine in the PT never revealed a racist side that I can remember. Maybe a missed opportunity there.

I bet he loathed Jar Jar.

The only thing missing in this picture was that Palpatine in the PT never revealed a racist side that I can remember.

His right hand man was a weird blue horned dude. And his first apprentice was a pissed off red horned dude. And he used white q-tip lookin dudes to make him an army.

Looking at the prequels, one would assume Palpatine didn't really have a problem with aliens.

His right hand man was a weird blue horned dude. And his first apprentice was a pissed off red horned dude. And he used white q-tip lookin dudes to make him an army.

Looking at the prequels, one would assume Palpatine didn't really have a problem with aliens.

I'd assume the Empire adopted a human-centric policy for political reasons; drum up an us-vs-them mentality and all that.

Is the Galaxy supposed to be made up of mostly humans?

All of the aliens we're introduced to in the films/shows are from specific planets - while you have places like Naboo, Mandalore and Tatooine that are seemingly majority humie.

I always figured that was why the Empire was mostly humie bros.

maharg

idspispopd
The empire being xenophobic in nature is really just an EU thing, even if there's enough absence of contrary evidence in the OT to make it plausible.

maharg

idspispopd
Well we know the empire was largely inspired by the Nazis, so it's not a wild assumption to make.

I don't disagree, but it's not as if being racist was the *only* terrifying thing about the Nazis that has been drawn on for fiction since the war. The most xenophobic thing in the OT is, iirc, a guard calling Chewbacca a "thing" or something like that. Also, when we do get to the PT there's really no xenophobic agitation shown in Palpatine's rise to power. The scapegoats and the good guys alike are full of non-humans with power.

Also, the greatest single act of violence we ever see the Empire commit was perpetrated, as far as we know, almost entirely against humans (Alderaan).

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious

Maybe he's not personally racist... But the consoldation of power amongst humanoids in the Empire represents a shrewed tactic? I mean look at all those various alien races in the Galactic Senate.. Palpatine would love to reduce any bargaining influence they have. Keep them out of the halls of power and use them as a subjugated working class.

He could just be using him as part of his plans. Notice how he no longer had him around once he actually became the Emperor.

Well yeah. The prequels were shot decades after Empire & Jedi :)

Seriously though, like maharg was getting at - the EU ran with an idea fit nicely in one of the multiple narrative cracks in the original trilogy. The PT makes that interpretation a little harder to fit. You can still fit it, if you want, but I don't know that there's actually any proof from the films that Palpatine or the Empire are really anti-alien.

I just thought it was worth noting that Palpatine seemed to have no real problem with aliens in the prequels. You can chalk that up to opportunism, sure. It makes sense. You can probably also chalk it up to the fact Lucas had the money and the wherewithal to put a shit-ton more aliens in the movies than he could have before.

Maybe he's not personally racist... But the consoldation of power amongst humanoids in the Empire represents a shrewed tactic? I mean look at all those various alien races in the Galactic Senate.. Palpatine would love to reduce any bargaining influence they have. Keep them out of the halls of power and use them as a subjugated working class.

It's just the senate was mostly alien wasn't it? That's Palpatine's base, you don't go after your base.

It's not conclusive by any means, but the Star Destroyer bridge at the end of ROTS is very much in the style of the OT. Lucas could have easily added some CG creatures among the officers.

Woorloog

Banned
I figure that Palps probably doesn't care about aliens one way or another, he just cares about himself.
The Empire as a whole? Probably somewhat speciesist at least, though we do have beings like the Inquisitor (a Pau'an) and Palps' Grand Vizier is Mas Amedda (the aforementioned blue alien). I'm thinking that this new incarnation of the Empire is less racists than the old Legends Empire. Not to mention less sexist, with more female officers and troopers.

As for humans being so common... the Legends EU held that the humans were the most numerous species in the galaxy, with various near-humans being very common. If this still holds true, we can simply assume seeing so many humans in the Empire is merely a reflection of statistics.

KidDork

I just thought it was worth noting that Palpatine seemed to have no real problem with aliens in the prequels. You can chalk that up to opportunism, sure. It makes sense. You can probably also chalk it up to the fact Lucas had the money and the wherewithal to put a shit-ton more aliens in the movies than he could have before.

My take on that was Palpatine put up with non-humans while he consolidated his power, but once he was Emperor, he let his disdain of them shine through, as evidenced by the lack of aliens in any (shown) Imperial positions of authority in the films.

I figure that Palps probably doesn't care about aliens one way or another, he just cares about himself.
The Empire as a whole? Probably somewhat speciesist at least, though we do have beings like the Inquisitor (a Pau'an) and Palps' Grand Vizier is Mas Amedda (the aforementioned blue alien).

Yeah, this is mostly how I see it.

ezekial45

Banned
The empire being xenophobic in nature is really just an EU thing, even if there's enough absence of contrary evidence in the OT to make it plausible.

With exception to the obvious Nazi-imagery, there was a scene in the original movie where one of the guards in the Death Star refers to Chewbacca as a "thing". It's very small, but couple this Nazi-imagery, it wouldn't be a stretch at all to say that the Empire had traces of xenophobia.

With exception to the obvious Nazi-imagery, there was a scene in the original movie where one of the guards in the Death Star refers to Chewbacca as a "thing". It's very small, but couple this Nazi-imagery, it wouldn't be a stretch at all to say that the Empire had traces of xenophobia.

Leia calls him a walking carpet which strikes me as similarly culturally insensitive.

Top Bottom