• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: In Production [Rumors/SPOILERS for All Films Past, Present, & Future]

Woorloog

Banned
I think the teaser was meant to be pretty straightforward with it's imagery.

Occam's razor says yes.
It is just that if i were making this, i'd make things misleading and surprising. EDIT In marketing at least. Mislead expectations to keep things surprising, even if things would not end up being that unusual.
Of course, the way the rumors put things to "most certainly not going to be particularly original or surprising category".

Well, it's possible that the Empire isn't all the way bad, or the Rebellion isn't all the way good. At least not this time around.

Especially if the rumors about Boyega and Gleeson are correct, which means Boyega is an Imperial goodguy, and Gleeson has left the Rebellion because they're losing (or have lost) their way.

Might even give the Force more reason to awaken.

MattyG

Banned
At what point does The Clone Wars pick up? I couldn't even finish the movie (though I may watch it at some point), and the first few episodes of the series aren't super promising, although they aren't terrible, but I want to finish it and Rebels before December.

the clone wars tv series made it pretty apparent that both sides were dicks during the days of the clone wars. although in the OT its very one sided and portrays the rebels as clearly good and empire as bad. id be up for greying up both sides in the new trilogy.

iosefe

At what point does The Clone Wars pick up? I couldn't even finish the movie (though I may watch it at some point), and the first few episodes of the series aren't super promising, although they aren't terrible, but I want to finish it and Rebels before December.

the series gets better as it progresses, minus a few not so good episodes. 3 and on are guaranteed Up i would say. once they decided a slightly more serialized approach in comparison versus the Anthology format it had

I still think this new trilogy is going to culminate in a team up between the Rebels and Empire, maybe against the new Sith villain. It's the only way to escalate the threat.

Well, it's possible that the Empire isn't all the way bad, or the Rebellion isn't all the way good. At least not this time around.

Especially if the rumors about Boyega and Gleeson are correct, which means Boyega is an Imperial goodguy, and Gleeson has left the Rebellion because they're losing (or have lost) their way.

Might even give the Force more reason to awaken.

Yeah I could see the Rebellion having to get more autocratic and militaristic in order the Empire. Could be a neat twist.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
I still think this new trilogy is going to culminate in a team up between the Rebels and Empire, maybe against the new Sith villain. It's the only way to escalate the threat.

I absolutely agree.

I could see it being a little bit like Final Fantasy VI or VII, where the evil empire "main threat" at the beginning of the game is almost like a reluctant ally near the end, against the bigger threat.

MattyG

Banned
This isn't related to movie news or anything, but this is pretty much the Star Wars |OT| now, so I think discussion of the games is fine;

Do you guys think we're going to get a lot of Star Wars game announcements at this E3, with the Star Wars hype probably having hit a fever pitch by that point? If we do, what would you guys like to see? So far, we know about DICE's Battlefront and Visceral's Star Wars title, and I think it's safe to assume that most of the developers that EA publishes are working on SW titles. So what are you guys anticipating/hoping for?

I'm betting that we'll se a lot of reboots/reimaginings, since there can't really be sequels to old games, with them being a part of the old EU. I wouldn't be surprised to see a Bioware RPG set during the OT/ST eras, and maybe a studio reviving the idea of Imperial Commando or just a spiritual successor to Republic Commando. And there's I don't doubt that we'll get a bounty hunter centric game at some point, maybe in the vein of 1313.

This isn't related to movie news or anything, but this is pretty much the Star Wars |OT| now, so I think discussion of the games is fine;

Do you guys think we're going to get a lot of Star Wars game announcements at this E3, with the Star Wars hype probably having hit a fever pitch by that point? If we do, what would you guys like to see? So far, we know about DICE's Battlefront and Visceral's Star Wars title, and I think it's safe to assume that most of the developers that EA publishes are working on SW titles. So what are you guys anticipating/hoping for?

I'm betting that we'll se a lot of reboots/reimaginings, since there can't really be sequels to old games, with them being a part of the old EU. I wouldn't be surprised to see a Bioware RPG set during the OT/ST eras, and maybe a studio reviving the idea of Imperial Commando or just a spiritual successor to Republic Commando. And there's I don't doubt that we'll get a bounty hunter centric game at some point, maybe in the vein of 1313.

3 main wishes:

-Strategy. Something in the vein of Sins of a Solar Empire, maybe?
-Republic Commando Revival. Either in the Imperial Commando form, like you mentioned, or a straight reboot.
-The Force Unleashed remake/reboot. Really, I just wanna see Starkiller make it in to the new canon, but another action game would be hugely welcome.

iosefe

i need a fresh Bioware/Obsidian RPG. that is my main wish.

Barring that, a reinterpretation of Empire at War might be fun. do an amalgamation of Galactic Conquest from BF2 and EaW and i'll be happy

MattyG

Banned
Sorry guys, I forgot a big one.

Star Wars Kinect reboot

ku-xlarge.gif

I've watched ANH yesterday for the first time in years (what a fun little movie that is) and I'm watching ESB right now. My biggest wish for TFA is that is captures this feeling of adventure and characters with its story and the hope that it won't look as sterile as the prequels. I also really hope that Abrams won't rely on that much fan service, but after Star Trek it might be wishful thinking.

-griffy-

Banned

I feel like someone stronger in the force would be able to sense him though. But he just happened to be the strongest one around at the time. But there's so much talk of sensing others and events and the force. VO in the new trailer explicitly talks about feeling an awakening in the force, so it's fairly obvious that not just anyone could hide being strong in the force.

I feel like someone stronger in the force would be able to sense him though. But he just happened to be the strongest one around at the time. But there's so much talk of sensing others and events and the force. VO in the new trailer explicitly talks about feeling an awakening in the force, so it's fairly obvious that not just anyone could hide being strong in the force.

think of like DBZ power levels, once you know how to lower it it doesn't how strong or weak anyone else, they won't be able to sense you if you don't want them to.

Palpatine mastered the art of hiding his force level.

It's like in Dragon Ball when they suppress their chi to hide it from beings capable of sensing the chi of others.

edit:eek:h FFS silver beat me to it

I think this is a little too straightforward. Palpatine is an expert in manipulation and deception; it's not about power levels so much as specialization.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
I think I remember a EU fact, that Palpatine used a force power that clouded the senses of the jedi and made them unable to detect who was the sith.
They were aware that there was a sith lord in the inner circle of the cancelor, but they couldnt say for sure who it was.
But of course its gone now.

Get everyone's midi-chlorian count to be sure.

Actually, Wookiepedia says midi-chlorian counts were mandatory for beings born in the Galactic Republic. I don't know how Palpatine managed to avoid testing.

It's like in Dragon Ball when they suppress their chi to hide it from beings capable of sensing the chi of others.

edit:eek:h FFS silver beat me to it

Yoda had to hide on a planet filled with Dark Side energy because he can't suppress his power.

You didn't need any force power to see how ridiculously evil Palpatine and his plan was.

So lets say episodes 4-6 didn't exist and all the shots of sidious in 1 and 2 were changed to Maul and Dooku acting as a Proxy for their unseen master would you have guessed he was palpatine by his reveal in episode 3?

womp

the poor man was scarred as a result of a vicious jedi attack and still had the courage to face the public while looking like that.

I'd sure want him as my emperor.

Speaking of which...I always figured that was a BS line by him to cover up his true appearance, that being the typical scarred look we know, and he was using the dark side power to simply influence a normal 'kindly' unassuming appearance of Senator Palpatine the entire time.

In other words, he always had that scarred look from the beginning. That lightening wasn't really harming him, he was using it for show to convince Anakin how 'horrible' the Jedi were while at the same time bringing the whole ruse to an end at that opportunity.

Notice how quickly he snapped to life to blow Windu out the window after saying "I...I can't...hold him...much....longer"? To me that just sealed the deal. Not only was he using the dark side's influence to cover himself...he was also using it to cover his appearance as well.

MattyG

Banned
Speaking of which...I always figured that was a BS line by him to cover up his true appearance, that being the typical scarred look we know, and he was using the dark side power to simply influence a normal 'kindly' unassuming appearance of Senator Palpatine the entire time.

In other words, he always had that scarred look from the beginning. That lightening wasn't really harming him, he was using it for show to convince Anakin how 'horrible' the Jedi were while at the same time bringing the whole ruse to an end at that opportunity.

Notice how quickly he snapped to life to blow Windu out the window after saying "I...I can't...hold him...much....longer"? To me that just sealed the deal. Not only was he using the dark side to cover himself...he was also using it to cover his appearance as well.
That's what I always assumed as well.

jelly

I thought Palpatine acted that way to get sympathy, a distraction and to push Anakin over to his side completely. Windu had him subdued, Palpatine had no other play. Windu isn't a push over. His appearance to me is a result of his dark side powers being pushed back towards himself by Windu and his lightsaber.
I enjoy reading the theories but I doubt there is anything to much of what we talk about. We make Lucas look good by making up the dots and connecting them. Putting interesting meat on the nonsense bone.

Moff

Notice how quickly he snapped to life to blow Windu out the window after saying "I...I can't...hold him...much....longer"? To me that just sealed the deal. Not only was he using the dark side's influence to cover himself...he was also using it to cover his appearance as well.

there have been tons of discussions about this when the movie was released. when I rewatch that scene I still think it's very ambigious. sheev certainly acts to some degree in that scene. But I fear it really is supposed to be the source of his "scars". I never really thought of them as scars in ROTJ, those are just the wrinkles of an old man drained by the dark side of the force. an explanation was absolutely not necessary. especially because the rubber mask after it looked ridiculous.
I think GL's comment track on the DVD ended the debate, I don't really remember it though.

maharg

idspispopd
I don't think he was using the force to make people not see his true face. Perhaps he was using the force to maintain that appearance against his age and he wasn't able to hold it up under concerted attack, though. If he actually looked like that before the attack, I would think we'd have seen him using that appearance when speaking to the people who knew him as Sidious, but what you can see under his robe's hood he still looks pretty normal throughout the prequel era, iirc.

I always assumed he was wearing a rubber mask and it melted. He couldn't get it off straight away but by the time you get to Jedi he'd managed to peel it off. Also no Dentist on the Death Star.

Top Bottom