• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: In Production [Rumors/SPOILERS for All Films Past, Present, & Future]

bachikarn

I'm not a huge fan of the light saber bit, but I think it sounds better than the initial rumors that had Luke's hand still attached to it and it landing on Tatooine to be found by the main girl character. It landing in a random planet to be found by a farmer sounds more plausible to me.

I am good with this. It sounds like a good start.

Are we still under the assumption that Driver is Kylo Ren? At this point I'm not sure that's the case. Has there been something substantial to say otherwise?

It's all but confirmed that Driver is Kylo Ren if MSW's scoops are anything to go by.

For those doubting that an object could survive reentry through an atmosphere, it's definitely possible. The reason space shuttles and capsules heat up so much is because they are orbiting and thus travelling at tens of thousands of kilometers per hour. If something was stationary (relatively to the surface below it) and fell straight down from the same height then it wouldn't burn up. In fact, it would freeze in the upper atmosphere due to the low pressure, and then re-heat as it fell.

I don't think it's the physics per se, but rather the convenience of it. The films haven't really established how durable a lightsaber is. I think the closest we've seen is when Darth Maul got his cut in half by another lightsaber. How does a lightsaber survive whatever battle it went through unscathed (presumably something that involved a star ship exploding), then float through the vastness of space for who knows how long, then get pulled into the atmosphere of a planet?

I mean, you can say it's made of outer space substances that are really strong or whatever, but by that logic couldn't they have done the same thing with the droids in ANH? Like, if they had jumped out of the airlock towards Tatooine rather than used an escape pod, couldn't that be sold to the audience just as easily? They're robots made of space materials, they can survive that.

Woorloog

Banned
Beyond the science of it all, would it bother you if it somehow came out it was "guided" by the force? We're talking about a universe where muppets can lift spaceships out of swamps. I mean, when the "force awakens", a few seemingly inexplicable things are bound to happen. Wouldn't opening a movie literally titled "The Force Awakens" with such an event be, in fact, appropriate?

That works.
If the film can somehow explain how come the Force itself can do something like that.

That is because i do not regard the Force as a god-like thing but rather a merely a magic, "feeling through the Force" is, IMO, more about feeling the potential consequences and the like rather than listening to some active guidance ("do x, do x", more like "if you do x, then y"). It does not make decisions for one (guidance during battle can be attributed to seeing the near future and sub-consciously processing it, we've seen Jedi and Sith making mistakes after all).
The Jedi can claim it has a will, doesn't mean they're right. Or they should not be automatically right anyway, even though Lucas does like to imply the Jedi's view of things is the correct one.

The first post in this thread made mention of "Jedi Hunters" working with the Empire. I guess it makes sense that Kylo Ren would be ordering Stormtroopers around.

Almost everything we saw in the trailer came out of this opening.

Finn popping up in the desert: Finn & Poe have just crash landed back on the planet after their attempted escape

BB-8 is likely trying to get back to Sydow's character

The Stormtroopers are landing to burn everything at Ren's orders (Finn will conscientiously object right around here)

Rey speeding towards the city (either on the way TO the rescue or in the act OF rescue)

The Falcon is escaping the planet with our heroes onboard.

Which means everything's basically happening on that one planet at the beginning. If that planet is Tatooine, that means it's possible the "farmer" who finds the saber is a MOISTURE Farmer, who has gotten so successful that actual vegetation and such can grow on the planet somewhere.

Which would be a nice little subversion of expectation.

CSJ

Why are some people making it out like re-entry heat is something that just happens for anything entering an atmosphere? It has to be something going insanely fast, who's to say the item in question isn't in a relatively slow orbit/approach/ANYTHING, therefor has only one way to go, down - with little resistance at first but not scorching speeds from the get go.

I mean, I've met a lot of people who think if you enter a planets atmosphere it has to be insanely hot but that's because of atmospheric braking and current tech. SW tech can hover hundreds of thousands of tons of weight ground level so it's have no issue re-entering at a safer speed. Of course that ship in the previous film lost most of it's function and was no doubt traveling at a high relative speed to begin with.

EXACTLY like that :)

Although it could be like the opening of Phantom Menace. Something in the distance that you can't make out and then it flies right by the camera and you see what it is.

OR, and someone suggested this idea to me yesterday and I thought it was a pretty genius bit of subversion: You don't have to BE in outer-space to have a starfield. What if the camera doesn't pan AT ALL after the scroll disappears, and what we see is a small pinprick of light getting brighter, and bigger, and we start to think that maybe it could be a comet or an asteroid or something - and THEN we tilt down, revealing that we were already ON a planet, just looking up at the sky, watching this thing quickly fall to the ground.

what if the Savannah planet is Lothal from Rebels? outside of the cities matches a Savannah quite well.

I don't think it's a savannah planet. I think it's just a savannah on a planet that very obviously has a lot of desert on it, too.

-griffy-

Banned
OR, and someone suggested this idea to me yesterday and I thought it was a pretty genius bit of subversion: You don't have to BE in outer-space to have a starfield. What if the camera doesn't pan AT ALL after the scroll disappears, and what we see is a small pinprick of light getting brighter, and bigger, and we start to think that maybe it could be a comet or an asteroid or something - and THEN we tilt down, revealing that we were already ON a planet, just looking up at the sky, watching this thing quickly fall to the ground.
Ooooo I like that.

Downplay it you want but if you guys can't differentiate between those examples and this one, then I don't know what to tell you.

Besides, isn't there already in-universe support for reentry heat... the crashing ship in RotS. The lightsaber randomly being made out of even more resistant metal than that just seems lazy and unnecessary. Oh well. Not a huge deal, but it'll draw a lot more eye rolls from audiences than saber blade length and FTL travel.

Doesn't have to be made out a more resistant metal. The narrow profile would make reentry enormously easier in and of itself.

The lightsaber falling from space is a great bit of imagery- haven't got a problem with the science. Hopefully theres some clever explanation if it's Luke's lightsaber from Bespin. Maybe Lobot picked it up and sent it on its way for some reason. Or artifact-obsessed Kylo Ren ordered a search for it on Bespin and the Empire lose it in transit. Either way, that shit has traveled far if the desert planet is indeed Tatooine.

-griffy-

Banned
Doesn't have to be made out a more resistant metal. The narrow profile would make reentry enormously easier in and of itself.

The thing is already able to withstand the heat/energy of the lightsaber blade itself, why wouldn't it be able to withstand reentry? Ancient space wizards built those things, they can withstand damn near anything as far as I'm concerned.

prag16

Banned

Well even removing that aspect of it, the terminal velocity of a small dense object like a lightsaber in an earthlike atmosphere is going to be pretty damn high, and a savannah won't exactly provide the softest possible landing in all likelihood. W/e, I'm still not really a fan of this, but it won't detract from my enjoyment of the movie.

Tatooine is all desert. (so far as we know)

maybe Dantooine?

Tatooine WAS all desert. It's been 30 years. Wouldn't it be a trip if we found out people had managed to get a moisture farm working to the point that green things could live on it?

That's what I'm getting at. I don't know that this planet is Tatooine at all. But after this report, I do know that this planet is the location where almost the entire beginning of the film takes place, and so this planet has to house both the desert locations we saw in the trailer, and a savannah location for the lightsaber to be found in. IF this planet is Tatooine, then that means someone figured out how to grow a savannah there.

I'm still hoping it's Corellia or Sullust or something, just for the hell of it.

Blader

Why are some people making it out like re-entry heat is something that just happens for anything entering an atmosphere? It has to be something going insanely fast, who's to say the item in question isn't in a relatively slow orbit/approach/ANYTHING, therefor has only one way to go, down - with little resistance at first but not scorching speeds from the get go.

Wouldn't falling toward a planet as it enters its gravitational pull make it move insanely fast? I didn't think there was a way to gently glide from orbit into the atmosphere.

inm8num2

I'm still hoping it's Corellia or Sullust or something, just for the hell of it.

Or Ord Mantell!

DaD.jpg

EscapeFromOrdMantell-TCWEoD.png

So ST2009 meets Generations:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jyseECuMCv4

EXACTLY like that :)
Now that would be a beautiful idea.

if the bad guy is a skywalker or a solo that might be justification for completely wiping out both of those family lines given how much they've all fucked up the galaxy for the last 100 years.

WHAT. Murder an entire family line because some of them have done bad things? I don't even... What are you talking about?

The Falcon is eaten by a giant worm hiding in an asteroid floating in the void of space.

That's the "serious" movie in the original trilogy.

My Rebuttal because I'm addicted to playing Devil's Advocate :

The giant space worm living in an asteroid is out in space, as human beings we've landed on 1 piece of space rock like that (as far as I know) in our entire history and a lot of people probably aren't even aware of that, it's super otherworldly and obviously un-realistic but it's so "out there" and uncommon that we just accept this is how that universe works.

Stuff burning up on re-entry is something humans have generally known about for a very long time, it's just in the public consciousness that that's what happens, so having such a simple and demonstrable piece of physics defied by the movie in such an (apparently) plot-important way is off-putting.

Sound in space is the same way. How many people have gone into space, a few dozen? A few hundred? I really have no idea but it's less than one millionth of a percent. Nearly 100% of humans have seen "shooting stars" and are aware on some level that it's debris burning up in the atmosphere.

CSJ

Wouldn't falling toward a planet as it enters its gravitational pull make it move insanely fast? I didn't think there was a way to gently glide from orbit into the atmosphere.

It would, but it depends how far out you start, from what relative speed because just as you're about to get fast enough to do any considerable damage you may start slowing down due to the atmosphere.

The point is we don't know any of this, it's such a minor point for others to get worked up about and yeah.... ;)

I think the difference is that wasn't the MaCguffin.

I don't think that makes a difference at all, really.

They got out of a ship inside of a worm inside of an asteroid inside the vaccuum of space wearing street clothes and a gas mask because a suckerfishodactyl was suckling at their spaceship.

If you can roll with that, you can roll with a glowstick falling from outerspace and hitting the ground.

Both Star Wars AND Empire have things from outer space falling through the atmosphere and hitting the planet intact.

It's only a problem if you choose to make it a problem. Because I'm pretty sure they're not going to frame it or present it in a way that it'll seem like a problem. Just like they didn't frame or present the fact our heroes had landed for repairs inside the esophagus of a giant sock-puppet in a manner that allowed us to go "Huh. Wait a minute..."

I don't think that makes a difference at all, really.

They got out of a ship inside of a worm inside of an asteroid inside the vaccuum of space wearing street clothes and a gas mask because a suckerfishodactyl was suckling at their spaceship.

If you can roll with that, you can roll with a glowstick falling from outerspace and hitting the ground.

Both Star Wars AND Empire have things from outer space falling through the atmosphere and hitting the planet intact.

It's only a problem if you choose to make it a problem. Because I'm pretty sure they're not going to frame it or present it in a way that it'll seem like a problem. Just like they didn't frame or present the fact our heroes had landed for repairs inside the esophagus of a giant sock-puppet in a manner that allowed us to go "Huh. Wait a minute..."

That scene is meant to be a moment though. The droids in ANH have a reasonable amount of logic behind them. Leia knew where Obi-Wan lived and traveled there. R2 wasn't just floating in space and happened to get pulled into Tatooine's gravity.

Granted, we're probably still missing information about the premise (hopefully).

-griffy-

Banned
That scene is meant to be a moment though. The droids in ANH have a reasonable amount of logic behind them. Leia knew where Obi-Wan lived and traveled there. R2 wasn't just floating in space and happened to get pulled into Tatooine's gravity.

Granted, we're probably still missing information about the premise (hopefully).

Is it the probability of the lightsaber landing somewhere that a character can easily find it that is the problem, or the actual logistics of a lightsaber surviving reentry and impact intact?

Cause in my mind, with the former we don't have enough context to know why the saber is floating in space near the planet to say whether that's an outlandish coincidence or not, and the latter is easily just "Star Wars science™."

I dont believe a single part of that opening.

Kylo Ren leading the troopers??? But hes a rebel pilot initially... how does that pan out.

Saber form the sky? lol no.

The report from before makes more sense and involves Rey already having the saber (but not knowing).

Is it the probability of the lightsaber landing somewhere that a character can easily find it that is the problem, or the actual logistics of a lightsaber surviving reentry and impact intact?

Cause in my mind, with the former we don't have enough context to know why the saber is floating in space near the planet to say whether that's an outlandish coincidence or not, and the latter is easily just "Star Wars science™."

The explanation just has to sound plausible within the rules that govern the film's reality. We know for example a lightsaber isn't going to have a hyperdrive attached to it.

In general though I think audiences have a gotten a lot smarter since the OT, which is partly why people are skeptical of ideas like this. It's the reason something like a Michael Keaton Batman movie wouldn't work today, just like an Adam West movie wouldn't work in the 80s.

Woorloog

Banned
The explanation just has to sound plausible within the rules that govern the film's reality. We know for example a lightsaber isn't going to have a hyperdrive attached to it.

In general though I think audiences have a gotten a lot smarter since the OT, which is partly why people are skeptical of ideas like this. It's the reason something like a Michael Keaton Batman movie wouldn't work today, just like an Adam West movie wouldn't work in the 80s.

Indeed.
Now, we GAFers may be exceptions but still, there are expectations.

Current fantasy works are preferred as dark, gritty, realistic, dangerous (ASOIAF, GOT). The current scifi? I think there are similar expectations, Star Wars or not. I remember people where excited about 1313, presumably partially because it would have been more grounded SW game (me, i never understood what was so great about it, looked wrong and meh to me).

Tookay

What if I thought the space worm was also stupid? A comedic silly sidenote really isn't the best justification for making the framing device of the entire film dumb too.

What if I thought the space worm was also stupid? A comedic silly sidenote really isn't the best justification for making the framing device of the entire film dumb too.

It's not so much a justification as an attempt to point out that it doesn't really matter, and even IF you thought the worm was silly, almost nobody seems to trip over it or bring it up in a negative fashion when discussing the Original Trilogy.

Basically, I bring it up as a means to point out how NITPICKY the entire conversation is at a base level.

(also, that whole worm sequence isn't a comedic silly sidenote. It houses the Original Trilogy's only legitimate jump scare, and the first kiss of Han & Leia. There's a lot of REALLY important character stuff happening while they're inside that handpuppet)

prag16

Banned
It's not so much a justification as an attempt to point out that it doesn't really matter, and even IF you thought the worm was silly, almost nobody seems to trip over it or bring it up in a negative fashion when discussing the Original Trilogy.

Basically, I bring it up as a means to point out how NITPICKY the entire conversation is at a base level.

(also, that whole worm sequence isn't a comedic silly sidenote. It houses the Original Trilogy's only legitimate jump scare, and the first kiss of Han & Leia. There's a lot of REALLY important character stuff happening while they're inside that handpuppet)

I agree that the whole discussion is kind of silly. However the fact that they're in a handpuppet isn't vital to the mynock or the kiss taking place. The grand fucking facilitator for the entire opening of the movie being something nearly as silly as the space slug, to me, is OBVIOUSLY a MUCH bigger issue. But maybe I'm not in the majority.

I don't think it's the physics per se, but rather the convenience of it. The films haven't really established how durable a lightsaber is. I think the closest we've seen is when Darth Maul got his cut in half by another lightsaber. How does a lightsaber survive whatever battle it went through unscathed (presumably something that involved a star ship exploding), then float through the vastness of space for who knows how long, then get pulled into the atmosphere of a planet?

I mean, you can say it's made of outer space substances that are really strong or whatever, but by that logic couldn't they have done the same thing with the droids in ANH? Like, if they had jumped out of the airlock towards Tatooine rather than used an escape pod, couldn't that be sold to the audience just as easily? They're robots made of space materials, they can survive that.

Maybe the battle was on top of, or close to planet it fell into?

graffix13

The grand fucking facilitator for the entire opening of the movie being something nearly as silly as the space slug, to me, is OBVIOUSLY a MUCH bigger issue. But maybe I'm not in the majority.

Well, not only in this particular movie (TFA), but the first of a new generation of SW movies.

The lightsaber falling from space is a great bit of imagery- haven't got a problem with the science. Hopefully theres some clever explanation if it's Luke's lightsaber from Bespin. Maybe Lobot picked it up and sent it on its way for some reason. Or artifact-obsessed Kylo Ren ordered a search for it on Bespin and the Empire lose it in transit. Either way, that shit has traveled far if the desert planet is indeed Tatooine.

They can have a Lord of War opening credits sequence that follows the lightsaber from its POV along its journey to the planet!

Top Bottom