• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: In Production [Rumors/SPOILERS for All Films Past, Present, & Future]

I wouldn't be surprised if the teaser poster is based on that leaked concept art of Vader's burnt helmet.

I thought the same thing the instant that image leaked. Didn't someone basically just take that image, crop it a little, and throw some text over the top of it?

It's ready-to-go as a teaser poster.

I gotta imagine that shot of Vader's helmet on the pedestal is gonna be the last image of this teaser, right? I can imagine the dolly in on it, light shining down on it, and the hard cut to black and the credit block.

sphagnum

Banned
Well that's never happened before has it?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SA6q3vHC5L4

I always thought this was a great teaser.

The Vader helmet shot definitely has to be the final shot. I'm kind of disappointed that the rebel/Republic base really does appear to be on Yavin IV though going by the teaser description saying that we see Yavin in the trailer. Unless the snow planet turns out to be winter season on Yavin IV.

I bet the Finn shot is the one in the leaked art work. Where he's just turning it on.

Also, I bet Luke is the last thing you see in the trailer attached to AoU.

Also, I bet Luke is the last thing you see in the trailer attached to AoU.

This is the trailer attached to AoU, though.

They can't show too much of him in the marketing because there's not too much to show.

Although that didn't really stop them from sticking Vader in the Episode III trailers, although he had about the same amount of screentime Luke apparently has in this film.

They can't show too much of him in the marketing because there's not too much to show.

Although that didn't really stop them from sticking Vader in the Episode III trailers, although he had about the same amount of screentime Luke apparently has in this film.

So what I'm getting is that I've waited 30 years to see Luke, and hes in this about 2 min.

Wow. Awesome JJ.

So what I'm getting is that I've waited 30 years to see Luke

You didn't really wait 30 years to see Luke. You waited about 3. Because nobody really thought a sequel trilogy was going to get made, at least not with enough surety to wait for it's existence.

But there's always Episode 8 - which will hit Summer 2017.

sphagnum

Banned
So what I'm getting is that I've waited 30 years to see Luke, and hes in this about 2 min.

Wow. Awesome JJ.

Han is the big returning character in this one, with Leia doing some important stuff as well. Luke will no doubt be all over Episode VIII since Rey is going to be his padawan.

Wow. Awesome JJ.

There was a rumor that Luke featured at the beginning and be absent until around 3/4 of the way through.
Then there was a rumor that he would only show up in the end for a couple minutes.
Then there was another rumor that this was a lie and he had a beefier part.
Now people are reverting to the brief role rumor.

Basically the rumors keep flip flopping so dont make up your mind yet.

Wow. Awesome JJ.

One, you're going to see the movie anyways. Two, who said he had to put them into the new trilogy at all to begin with? Stop acting like he owes you something. Three, there is good reason to believe he'll play a much larger roll in the second/third parts.

I'd rather him spread the old crew out some, instead of blowing the entire NOSTALGIA load in one film.

sphagnum

Banned
There was a rumor that Luke featured at the beginning and be absent until around 3/4 of the way through.
Then there was a rumor that he would only show up in the end for a couple minutes.
Then there was another rumor that this was a lie and he had a beefier part.
Now people are reverting to the brief role rumor.

Basically the rumors keep flip flopping so dont make up your mind yet.

The difference is that MSW has a list of every non-CGI shot in the movie, and Luke only appears in one - possibly two, with one being a brief flashback.

I heard it's a full trailer in front of AoU.

EDIT: Luke will be in it for about 15 minutes at the end. I bet he takes up training the girl and boy.

The difference is that MSW has a list of every non-CGI shot in the movie, and Luke only appears in one - possibly two, with one being a brief flashback.

MSW has posted every rumor sent to him, including blatantly contradictory stuff more than once. If I sent in a rumor right now and namedropped a couple industry people that I actually know, it would be on the site tomorrow morning.

Just because MSW is sometimes right doesnt mean MSW is always right. It could be true, it could be trash.

Just because MSW is sometimes right doesnt mean MSW is always right. It could be true, it could be trash.

They're working from callsheets. You'd have to argue the callsheets are being faked and that all the information coming from them is bunk.

I don't think that argument's gonna hold, though. Especially considering that just the shot descriptions of this coming trailer bear out the veracity of more than a few details from the callsheets.

It's possible that some reshoots will render those callsheets moot in a few instances, but for now, it seems to be a pretty solid guideline as to the shape of the film.

They're working from callsheets. You'd have to argue the callsheets are being faked and that all the information coming from them is bunk.

I don't think that argument's gonna hold, though. Especially considering that just the shot descriptions of this coming trailer bear out the veracity of more than a few details from the callsheets.

It's possible that some reshoots will render those callsheets moot in a few instances, but for now, it seems to be a pretty solid guideline as to the shape of the film.

I work in the film industry, and on HUGE projects like this it isn't uncommon to exclude/include extra information to throw off news sites off in the event of leaking (which is inevitable.)

I work in the film industry, and on HUGE projects like this, it isn't uncommon to exclude/include extra information to throw off news sites off in the event of leaking (which is inevitable.)

I understand, I'm just saying discounting everything that comes from that source out of hand because it's "just rumors" isn't a great call - But it doesn't hurt to keep in mind, if you do choose to roll with the rumors coming from that source, that stuff could be already out of date by the time they got a hold of it, or could be made out of date thanks to editing decisions and reshoots, and could have had things left out of it intentionally like you said.

I understand, I'm just saying discounting everything that comes from that source out of hand because it's "just rumors" isn't a great call - But it doesn't hurt to keep in mind, if you do choose to roll with the rumors coming from that source, that stuff could be already out of date by the time they got a hold of it, or could be made out of date thanks to editing decisions and reshoots, and could have had things left out of it intentionally like you said.

All I was really saying was that Liquidsnake shouldnt start the JJ bashing and the woe-is-me's this early.

Why did they even announce Mark Hamill's name if his appearance is so brief? They should have kept him as a surprise, like they did with
Kevin Spacey
in Seven.

I understand what you guys are saying, no one owes me anything, and 4 years ago I never thought wed be getting these movies etc.................

I have often wondered for the last 30 years what happened after ROTJ. Would we ever see Luke was he like Obi now?

I am disappointed that Luke seems to have very small amount of screen time.

I hope this sets up VIII for him to have a beefy role.

I just want Hammill to be back in the spotlight again. Dude deserves it. He went through lot in his life post Wars.

Cheebo

Banned
This movie was never going to be about Luke. Rey, Finn, and Poe are our new hero trio now.

Essentially Han is what Obi-Wan was for A New Hope. And Luke is this trilogies Yoda.

sphagnum

Banned
I understand what you guys are saying, no one owes me anything, and 4 years ago I never thought wed be getting these movies etc.................

I have often wondered for the last 30 years what happened after ROTJ. Would we ever see Luke was he like Obi now?

I am disappointed that Luke seems to have very small amount of screen time.

I hope this sets up VIII for him to have a beefy role.

I just want Hammill to be back in the spotlight again. Dude deserves it. He went through lot in his life post Wars.

Luckily we have the books, comics, games, TV, and spinoff movies to fill in the 30 year gap. =)

I kind of assume we'll have the first few years in the post-RotJ canon universe we relatively similar to the old EU in the sense that there will be splintered imperial factions and warlords fighting a new republic and Luke's new Jedi. But about 15-20 years into that universe it's going to get very, very different going by what we know so far about the background for this movie.

A buddy of mine is betting hard that Finn doesn't make it out alive or whole. Not sure why he thinks this but he started saying it after he went drinking with Devin and some Disney buddies of theirs.

sphagnum

Banned
A buddy of mine is betting hard that Finn doesn't make it out alive or whole. Not sure why he thinks this but he started saying it after he went drinking with Devin and some Disney buddies of theirs.

He gets injured to some extent fighting Kylo at the end of the movie, with his last scene being in the medical bay when Rey tells him she's leaving. So he survives, although we don't know the extent of the injury. Could be minor, could be a hand, etc.

Cheebo

Banned
He is wrong. Boyega is in this for the long haul. No chance he dies in this. Devin has been very wrong about this movie. Devin and MSW both posted two different teaser descriptions before the teaser came out. Devin got it wrong MSW got it right.

He is wrong. Boyega is in this for the long haul. No chance he dies in this. Devin has been very wrong about this movie. Devin and MSW both posted two different teaser descriptions before the teaser came out. Devin got it wrong MSW got it right.

He gets injured to some extent fighting Kylo at the end of the movie, with his last scene being in the medical bay when Rey tells him she's leaving. So he survives, although we don't know the extent of the injury. Could be minor, could be a hand, etc.

My guess is he loses his arm.

Cheebo

Banned
Most brilliant thing of no Luke till the very ending shot? Everyone will be wanting to see Episode 8 asap.

Disney/Lucasfilm is playing the long game. It's not about one movie.

sphagnum

Banned
I would assume Luke dies in Episode VIII so that the new heroes will have to face Uber themselves in the final battle in Episode IX. Seems typical for a monomyth structure.

I'm more interested in how long Leia will last.

edit: One thing I really, really want but don't know if they'd be willing to do is bring back Hayden as a Force ghost to try and talk some sense into Kylo Ren. Or even just bring Anakin's ghost back in "Vader form" as that's how Kylo would subconsciously want to see him.

Most brilliant thing of no Luke till the very ending shot? Everyone will be wanting to see Episode 8 asap.

Disney/Lucasfilm is playing the long game. It's not about one movie.

I kind of thought this was the intention when they said it was going to be a cliffhanger.

I would assume Luke dies in Episode VIII so that the new heroes will have to face Uber themselves in the final battle in Episode IX. Seems typical for a monomyth structure.

I'm more interested in how long Leia will last.

edit: One thing I really, really want but don't know if they'd be willing to do is bring back Hayden as a Force ghost to try and talk some sense into Kylo Ren. Or even just bring Anakin's ghost back in "Vader form" as that's how Kylo would subconsciously want to see him.

If Luke dies it will be in the last movie. They have to be Jedi Masters before he dies.

Cheebo

Banned
And Episode 8 is only a year and a half later too. It works to get the ball rolling and make sure everyone will be back in the theater.

And we get a Rian Johnson movie with Mark Hamill. Everyone wins.

sphagnum

Banned
If Luke dies it will be in the last movie. They have to be Jedi Masters before he dies.

Why? Luke only became a Jedi Knight in RotJ and by then he was the last Jedi in the galaxy.

I mean, it could go either way. Yoda didn't die until RotJ. But I'd prefer to see Luke go out in a big sacrifice at the end of Episode VIII.

prag16

Banned
One thing I really, really want but don't know if they'd be willing to do is bring back Hayden as a Force ghost to try and talk some sense into Kylo Ren. Or even just bring Anakin's ghost back in "Vader form" as that's how Kylo would subconsciously want to see him.

Hmm, that could actually be pretty cool depending on how they handled it.

We would, of course, have to endure some degree of a shitstorm from "purist" irrational prequel haters if they were to include something like this.

EDIT: That didn't take long:

Top Bottom