• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: In Production [Rumors/SPOILERS for All Films Past, Present, & Future]

Calcium

Banned
After watching the trailer a few times the one thing that sticks out to me is the narration. Why that dialog? If you listen there is an echo on some of the lines. I think that perhaps both Kylo Ren and Luke are narrating the trailer. So what if Kylo Ren and Rey are actually Luke's children? My father has it (Vader|Luke), my sister has it (Leia|Rey). Maybe Luke is the reason that downed Star Destroyer is on Jakku and he went into exile fearing his own power. Kylo Ren grows up to resent his father for leaving and then when he discovers he is force sensitive he goes off seeking the relics of Darth Vader. His resentment already put him on the darker path and lust for power could push him to the Dark Side. His grandfather conquered the galaxy, why couldn't he?

It fits, but if that is the case then I guess Abrams and Kasdan went to the Lucas "It rhymes!" school of writing.

Cheebo

Banned
After watching the trailer a few times the one thing that sticks out to me is the narration. Why that dialog? If you listen there is an echo on some of the lines. I think that perhaps both Kylo Ren and Luke are narrating the trailer. So what if Kylo Ren and Rey are actually Luke's children? My father has it (Vader|Luke), my sister has it (Leia|Rey). Maybe Luke is the reason that downed Star Destroyer is on Jakku and he went into exile fearing his own power. Kylo Ren grows up to resent his father for leaving and then when he discovers he is force sensitive he goes off seeking the relics of Darth Vader. His resentment already put him on the darker path and lust for power could push him to the Dark Side. His grandfather conquered the galaxy, why couldn't he?

It fits, but if that is the case then I guess Abrams and Kasdan went to the Lucas "It rhymes!" school of writing.
Everything we have got so far shows they are not Lukes kids. Any kids would be Leia and Hans. Kylo Ren is 99.9% Han and Leia's son.

Carl2291

Now this is a thread I can subscribe to. Love all things Star Wars, even going as far to say I find I, II and III watchable!

Calcium

Banned
Everything we have got so far shows they are not Lukes kids. Any kids would be Leia and Hans. Kylo Ren is 99.9% Han and Leia's son.

Ah, I've probably missed a ton of the rumors then. Any chance that Rey is Luke's kid or are they brother and sister?

MattyG

Banned
You think this was meant to be the big reveal of episode 7? I hope we get a crazy Vader reveal level moment from 8.

Tookay

You guys are looking at this way too deeply. Just take it at face value that it's Luke's dialogue from ROTJ, placed here for nostalgia and because it likely concerns Rey's lineage.

They added a slight reverb to said dialogue. That's it.

Calcium

Banned
You guys are looking at this way too deeply. Just take it at face value that it's Luke's dialogue from ROTJ, placed here for nostalgia and because it likely concerns Rey's lineage.

They added a slight reverb to said dialogue. That's it.

No_fun_allowed.jpg

B.K.

Why's it so important that it's Tatooine? So much of Star Wars has been set there - it'll be nice to see some action on a different planet.

Because Star Wars is the Skywalker family saga and Tatooine is the Skywalker homeworld. It's the most important planet in the saga.

maharg

idspispopd
Because Star Wars is the Skywalker family saga and Tatooine is the Skywalker homeworld. It's the most important planet in the saga.

Anakin being from Tatooine is honestly one of the dumbest things about the prequels and wasn't at all necessary to have the saga be 'about' the Skywalkers. I'm glad they're not continuing to shrink the universe in the sequels by having only one desert planet in an entire galaxy.

prag16

Banned
Anakin being from Tatooine is honestly one of the dumbest things about the prequels and wasn't at all necessary to have the saga be 'about' the Skywalkers. I'm glad they're not continuing to shrink the universe in the sequels by having only one desert planet in an entire galaxy.

Well then what did you want it to be about? OT was Luke's hero's journey. And as soon as a prequel trilogy was announced everyone in the world knew it was going to be about the rise and fall of Anakin. Anakin being from Tatooine gives a logical reason for Luke to end up there.

I can't believe some of the complaints. "Why does Star Wars have to be about the Skywalkers?" and "It's dumb that Anakin and Luke are from the same planet (even though they're father and son and share family there)" are ones I'm not sure I've heard very often.

maharg

idspispopd
Well then what did you want it to be about? OT was Luke's hero's journey. And as soon as a prequel trilogy was announced everyone in the world knew it was going to be about the rise and fall of Anakin. Anakin being from Tatooine gives a logical reason for Luke to end up there.

I can't believe some of the complaints. "Why does Star Wars have to be about the Skywalkers?" and "It's dumb that Anakin and Luke are from the same planet (even though they're father and son and share family there)" are ones I'm not sure I've heard very often.

I made no complaint about it being about the Skywalkers.

And the fact that it was a backwater planet in the middle of nowhere was plenty of reason for Luke to be there. If anything, hiding Luke on Darth Vader's home planet is just about the most boneheaded thing Obi ever did given their shared heritage on that planet.

Of course, we were probably one bad Lucas revision away from a shot of Vader looking longingly at Tatooine out of the Star Destroyer viewport in ANH before he thankfully saved us from it by selling out to Disney.

And last but not least, none of these complaints are any more silly (and I'd argue are much less silly) than "why aren't we going to tatooine again when there's a whole galaxy out there to see?"

prag16

Banned
I made no complaint about it being about the Skywalkers.

You clearly did:

wasn't at all necessary to have the saga be 'about' the Skywalkers.

But whatever, I can understand people not wanting the galaxy to feel small. But man. You'd be hard pressed to find another fan base that hates, and nerd-rages about, such large swaths of the source material (yes, yes, only the prequels, etc etc... am I not a 'real' fan because I have the blurays, and I haven't taken episodes 1 and 2 out of the rotation?).

Waldini

Did this get posted?

Force for Change set visit...

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=bVUAFMVwYm0

Did not see this yet. Thanks!

I like how everyone assumed we were going back to Tatooine ... but were not. Can't wait to see what Jakku has in store for us.

Must've seen the teaser about 10 times now. The music, the looks ... the feels. Everything I hear and see so far looks great. Just exploring the Star Wars universe 30 years of Return of the Jedi. Goosebumps all over.

maharg

idspispopd
You clearly did:

But whatever, I can understand people not wanting the galaxy to feel small. But man. You'd be hard pressed to find another fan base that hates, and nerd-rages about, such large swaths of the source material (yes, yes, only the prequels, etc etc... am I not a 'real' fan because I have the blurays, and I haven't taken episodes 1 and 2 out of the rotation?).

I really don't know how you get from what I said to your interpretation of it here. I said Tatooine as a common thread isn't necessary for the saga to be centered on the Skywalkers. How do you get from that that I'm disparaging it being about the Skywalkers? Unless it's just the scare quotes, in which case I was more implying that it's not the *only* thing it's about.

And if you think Star Wars is bad, man, never look at Doctor Who fandom for the same of your sanity.

Personally I think a diverse set of opinionated perspectives are a healthy sign in any fan culture. Critical thinking is important.

Is it confirmed Boyega isn't going to be a Jedi? I remember reading a leak where both Finn and Kira are supposed to be trained but I don't know if it's debunked.

I remember it to.
It also talked about the women from 12 years a slave/ GoT more and it said that Finn get's Luke's LS before we actually saw anything showing us that the LS plays any role in this movie. Now we get a pic of him with it in the outfit poster thing.

People seem to think he's not a Jedi because the trailer makes it seem like Luke is talking about family member ...?
IDK the reason, people just seem to be jumping the gun.

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
Han Solo says hi.

Han Solo says "Chewie... we're home." And Jeff Zero (that's me!) cries. ;_;

Anyway, I've heard so many conflicting reports on whether or not Finn is Force-sensitive. I'd love it if someone came along and set the record straight, but I'm guessing that's not happening for quite some time!

I'd be so very fine with just one of the new triumvirate being Jedi-destined, though. Either way sounds good to me.

sphagnum

Banned
There's no indication in any of the spoilers that Finn is Force sensitive. He uses Anakin/Luke's lightsaber because Rose gives it to him for safe keeping when Rey refuses it. Then he uses it to attack Kylo Ren, gets injured, and hands it off to Rey who duels Ren to a standstill.

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
There's no indication in any of the spoilers that Finn is Force sensitive. He uses Anakin/Luke's lightsaber because Rose gives it to him for safe keeping when Rey refuses it. Then he uses it to attack Kylo Ren, gets injured, and hands it off to Rey who duels Ren to a standstill.

Ahh, I see. Thanks for the clarification.

Cheebo

Banned
i don't see how Finn could be the main character without being a jedi... unless they're overplaying his role

He's a main character, if anyone is THE main character its Daisy Ridley's Rey. By all indications she's our Luke of this trilogy.

MegalonJJ

Banned
I think there were rumours rey and poe will hook up. but I'd love to see rey and finn, too. they look great together and the outrage would be glorious.

Poe is quite a bit older though...Rey and Finn getting down and dirty with sand everywhere, now that I would want to see. Hope JJ does it. Or Rian.

No, he recorded the dialog again. They used both his new recording and the original ROTJ recording and combined them to make the echo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2XtKJNy2JVU

So they used his new recording as a barely intelligible echo behind reused dialogue. I guess that's cool but it seems like a waste. Why not just use his new recording and have the old stuff as echo? Has his acting gone to shit or what?

Compared the two just to make sure I had it right. Yep, the main dialogue in the new trailer is straight up ripped from ROTJ (rearranged a little and with added bass)

So they used his new recording as a barely intelligible echo behind reused dialogue. I guess that's cool but it seems like a waste. Why not just use his new recording and have the old stuff as echo? Has his acting gone to shit or what?

Compared the two just to make sure I had it right. Yep, the main dialogue in the new trailer is straight up ripped from ROTJ (rearranged a little and with added bass)

Artistic reasoning most probably.

MattyG

Banned
The second Star Wars Anthology film’s code name is “Tin Can.”

We don’t know what the film could be. It could be the Boba Fett film if that’s ever happening. “Tin Can” kind of reminds me of the Falcon (“What a piece of junk!”) to an extent. Lucasfilm did also register 501st Stormtrooper recently, so maybe it is a Stormtrooper film? Maybe not.

via Making Star Wars

CD'S BAR

Now that it seems Kylo Ren is just a human, is it possible that the cyborg we saw in the early concept arts was actually Serkis's Uber character? I've been trying to avoid most spoilers for the past few months, not sure if there's been any word on his appearance.

Now that it seems Kylo Ren is just a human, is it possible that the cyborg we saw in the early concept arts was actually Serkis's Uber character? I've been trying to avoid most spoilers for the past few months, not sure if there's been any word on his appearance.

It's more likely it was just an early concept and they changed their minds. That or somehow his appearance changes during the film.

Top Bottom