• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: In Production [Rumors/SPOILERS for All Films Past, Present, & Future]

Sponge

Banned
http://indierevolver.com/2015/05/08...as-maz-kanata-in-star-wars-the-force-awakens/

According to this website, this is what Lupita Nyongo's character, Maz Kanata, looks like:

lupita.jpg

I remember there was concept art for this character a while back, although it was hard to make it. I would have been surprised if we didn't get some kind of new alien character when Yoda, Chewbacca and (unfortunely) Jar Jar exists.

Devin hasn't gotten shit right about this movie.

He got Arndt getting bounced and the movie getting pushed back correct.

He also got the movie opening with a lightsaber correct.

And Han & Chewie not being in the Falcon at the beginning correct.

He also got Christie playing Phasma correct, plus the fact the character got gender-swapped.

But yeah, accuracy took a hit starting with first teaser. But then again, dude isn't much of a scoopist or whatever.

He got Arndt getting bounced and the movie getting pushed back correct.

He also got the movie opening with a lightsaber correct.

And Han & Chewie not being in the Falcon at the beginning correct.

He also got Christie playing Phasma correct, plus the fact the character got gender-swapped.

But yeah, accuracy took a hit starting with first teaser. But then again, dude isn't much of a scoopist or whatever.

Wasn't most of that stuff rumored and he just confirmed it?

sphagnum

Banned
You know, one thing that I totally forgot about until now...didn't Sheamus say that he "won't not" be playing Darth Vader and he was at Skellig Michael? How on Earth does that fit into the plot unless that was something totally abandoned?

GAMEPROFF

Banned
You know, one thing that I totally forgot about until now...didn't Sheamus say that he "won't not" be playing Darth Vader and he was at Skellig Michael? How on Earth does that fit into the plot unless that was something totally abandoned?

He was Vader for a couple of promotions. Maybe thats were he will be Vader?

Pagusas

Elden Member
The script would be fun visually at least, but wtf is with all these "castles"?! This is Star Wars, why are we dealing with castles.

Also Hans end sucks. And why are their long lost children? Your telling me they had kids and lost them -_- ?

The script would be fun visually at least, but wtf is with all these "castles"?! This is Star Wars, why are we dealing with castles.

Also Hans end sucks. And why are their long lost children? Your telling me they had kids and lost them -_- ?

Going with they thought they died at the Jedi Academy.

Metalmarc

Kylo Ren looks a bit like a knight with his costume and his cross-guard saber and with the castles, sounds like The word Jedi Knights has been taken literal by JJ and Kasdan, and they have been watching too much game of thrones.

So this one seems to have medieval and pirate influence in space maybe.

Remember when the old Star Wars was influenced by Westerns and Samurai movies in space?

munchie64

Too many super weapons is the only problem to me from that. Well the vision also sounds like total nonsense but that'll probably change in the actual movie.
Sounds like a fun ride and I hope Phasma does some cool shit like the other villains.

FeD.nL

Well i'm more excited for the vague things, Serkis' character, how the falcon ends up there, driver in the rebel pilot suit. Then what I read in that synopsis, but then again the unknowns probably make this a whole lot better.

Though I agree the ending sounds amazing.

Woorloog

Banned
I kinda like it.
Also don't give a shit about the old heroes, provided the ones have enough charisma (an issue the prequels had, Anakin, Obi-Wan and Padme weren't very interesting, Qui-Gon was the best of the bunch but was in the worst film and died...).

I like the idea of a Jedi Knight being a literal knight. First time i saw the Kylo Ren concept art, i was like, "whoah, light-broadsword!".
Sure, Jedi and Sith are based on samurais and Westerns but then Western heroes tend to have similarities with knight-errants, and both samurai and European knights have those, or equivalent.

One intriguing statement in A New Hope is when Obi-Wan says that Owen Lars thought Kenobi would take Luke with him for some crusade. Evokes images of knights certainly.
Though since the Jedi are perhaps more spiritually inclined, their crusade would be pretty different than what they really were. Probably.

Kylo Ren looks a bit like a knight with his costume and his cross-guard saber and with the castles, sounds like The word Jedi Knights has been taken literal by JJ and Kasdan, and they have been watching too much game of thrones.

So this one seems to have medieval and pirate influence in space maybe.

Remember when the old Star Wars was influenced by Westerns and Samurai movies in space?

Not to mention that Captain Phasma looks like she might literally be a space knight in shining armor.

Ogimachi

Too many super weapons is the only problem to me from that. Well the vision also sounds like total nonsense but that'll probably change in the actual movie.
Sounds like a fun ride and I hope Phasma does some cool shit like the other villains.
Exactly, why the superweapon thing again? And two of them?

It does have lots of potential for action scenes, but that story in the article is pretty dumb to me. The miraculous lightsaber being dropped in the planet where the lead lives? The ultimate plot device that shows the heroes a vision that changes everything and tells them what they had to know?

Rey just happens to be captured by her father's giant freighter while escaping the planet? Finn and Rey hold their own against Kylo Ren with the lightsaber? They're hanging from a precipice and Kylo just...leaves?

The originals had their own share of plot armour and miracles, but this is too much, if you ask me.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
It does have lots of potential for action scenes, but that story in the article is pretty dumb to me. The miraculous lightsaber being dropped in the planet where the lead lives? The ultimate plot device that shows the heroes a vision that changes everything and tells them what they had to know?

Sounds like Episode IV for me.

sphagnum

Banned

Symbolism. If the Empire was Rome, and the collapse of Rome led to the Dark Ages, then we are now in a "feudal" period for Star Wars.

Anyway, people need to accept that that synopsis is most likely correct. I've been feeling for a while now that while it seems like a very interesting movie, a lot of people are going to be mad since
Han dies without going out in a blaze of glory and the "Big 3" never appear on screen together.
There's going to be a lot of people come December calling for Abrams' head.

Exactly, why the superweapon thing again? And two of them?

Three superweapons. The "catapult", the "array", and the "sledgehammer".

munchie64

I just can't get over the super weapon thing. Why does the Empire have 2? What do they even do (other than the used one)? Why are there no displays of power of two things so seemingly important? Just planet busting again would be boring, but anything less would be disappointing and anything more would be overkill.

That said, it does tie into that Cold War discussion from ages back, doesn't it? One side creates a crazy weapon, the other copies and they keep getting deadlier and deadlier. Maybe my mind will change.

Rootbeer

Banned
Aren't most of these leaks from callsheets, not a leaked script? There could be things lost in the translation of people trying to piece together an accurate timeline of the film from those.

Kuros

Aren't most of these leaks from callsheets, not a leaked script? There could be things lost in the translation of people trying to piece together an accurate timeline of the film from those.

Yes its callsheets and stuff he has from sources. No script leak.

Not seeing the OG cast together is breaking my heart. I think the film should be about the new cast but come on, it is Episode VII it's a direct sequel to ROTJ.

I mean we are going to see Han die and never interact with Luke?

Oh well.

Cheebo

Banned
People thinking/hoping that MSW scene by scene breakdown being fake is hilarious.

Virtually every single scene in that breakdown was revealed by MSW before either teaser came out going back last year. And every single scene in both teasers lines up with one of the scenes in their report. The big plot points are the real deal.

The call sheets list which actors are in each scene shot. Hamill is only in one single scene, and Ford is not in that scene. So big details like that won't be wrong.

Cheebo

Banned
Does anybody like that synopsis of the TFA?
Of course there are people who like the general plot of TFA from what we have learned from the spoilers.

I mean if you wanted a film that teamed up the old crew on one last adventure you were anticipating the wrong movie and following the wrong franchise. It was never going to be that.

DodgerSan

If morons on the internet sent R. A. Salvatore death threats for writing the death of Chewbacca (bear in mind the writing group cam up with it, and Lucas sanctioned it) the heaven help JJ if the
Han dying
part is true, which I think it probably is.

Personally I don't want to see it, but story wise it has the potential to be really powerful if done well, and that's what's more important.

FeD.nL

It's missing details. But there aren't going to missing actual full on scenes from the shot list.

Well those details can, and I think will, be significant. I mean they have the first part pretty much down but after
tie Fighter breakout
There are some vague things.

Cheebo

Banned
How can you be so confident without even seeing the movie?
Because MSW got the full shot list? The shots are numbered and everything. And that both teasers line up with it exactly?

As do all further details. The castle material from vanity fair, etc. every detail we get matches exactly up with MSW's complete copy of the shot list.

Literally every single shot in both teasers matches with their scenes they released prior from their shot list, as do every detail from the vanity fair article.

There is just far too much collaborating evidence. I have been obsessively following Star Wars spoilers since the pre-TPM days, this is as accurate as its gets outside of a full script leak. The shot list is 100% the real complete list of shots for this film.

And remember there was no first unit reshoots at all on the film, so the shooting version of the shot list would be fully complete in this situation.

Ogimachi

Symbolism. If the Empire was Rome, and the collapse of Rome led to the Dark Ages, then we are now in a "feudal" period for Star Wars.

Anyway, people need to accept that that synopsis is most likely correct. I've been feeling for a while now that while it seems like a very interesting movie, a lot of people are going to be mad since
Han dies without going out in a blaze of glory and the "Big 3" never appear on screen together.
There's going to be a lot of people come December calling for Abrams' head.

Three superweapons. The "catapult", the "array", and the "sledgehammer".
Sigh. Even worse.

People thinking/hoping that MSW scene by scene breakdown being fake is hilarious.

Virtually every single scene in that breakdown was revealed by MSW before either teaser came out going back last year. And every single scene in both teasers lines up with one of the scenes in their report. The big plot points are the real deal.

The call sheets list which actors are in each scene shot. Hamill is only in one single scene, and Ford is not in that scene. So big details like that won't be wrong.
I don't think it's fake, I hope most of it is. There is the possibility that the script went through some changes.

It's just so weird when you consider Mark Hamill speaks in the 2nd teaser and was spotted so many times coming and going from the set. Perhaps they added more scenes with Luke after receiving negative feedback from his one little scene in the ending.

I just can't get over the super weapon thing. Why does the Empire have 2? What do they even do (other than the used one)? Why are there no displays of power of two things so seemingly important? Just planet busting again would be boring, but anything less would be disappointing and anything more would be overkill.

That said, it does tie into that Cold War discussion from ages back, doesn't it? One side creates a crazy weapon, the other copies and they keep getting deadlier and deadlier. Maybe my mind will change.
It's even worse IMO because they sound like "regular" super weapons, like very strong cannons or WMD. They have just 1 of each and if they're destroyed it's gone?
I could understand something like losing the Death Star being a major blow. It takes time and a shitload of resources to build another one, but I don't think they're using 3 death stars.

If it's just a super powerful canon, why stick to just one? Is the tech really "gone" if the one weapon is destroyed? They don't seem to go after the schematics/plans either, so they just destroy it without knowing the first thing about it besides the fact it's a super weapon?

If morons on the internet sent R. A. Salvatore death threats for writing the death of Chewbacca (bear in mind the writing group cam up with it, and Lucas sanctioned it) the heaven help JJ if the
Han dying
part is true, which I think it probably is.

Personally I don't want to see it, but story wise it has the potential to be really powerful if done well, and that's what's more important.
This is much worse. Chewie went out with a bang and saved thousands of people. Han has a stupid death here. I can understand (kind of) if he was trying to reason with his son, but he didn't protect anyone or do anything meaningful. He technically helped them destroy super weapon #2, but Rey and Finn still had to face Kylo right after his death, so it wasn't even like Ben's death and Han cannot be as useful in his afterlife like Obi-Wan.

This will get very intense backlash, and even if he didn't die, not having a scene with the old crew together will make it worse.

Cheebo

Banned
I don't think it's fake, I hope most of it is. There is the possibility that the script went through some changes.

It's just so weird when you consider Mark Hamill speaks in the 2nd teaser and was spotted so many times coming and going from the set. Perhaps they added more scenes with Luke after receiving negative feedback from his one little scene in the ending.

This wasn't the script that leaked. It's the shot list. From actual production during shooting. There would not be major script changes at that point. Script is pretty locked well before that piece of production.

He was not spotted coming and going from the set many times. Just on location for the island cave scene (which is described at the end). He was not spotted on location for the Jakku scenes. Nor at the Yavin location shooting. It was notable at the time how Hamill was not being seen well anywhere other than that one day of shooting out on the island during the production leaked photos.

Not to mention they couldn't add any more scenes with Luke. There was not any reshoots done on this film by the first unit. Production already wrapped before that leak hit, and no major reshoots were done for the film. Not to mention they wouldn't revamp the whole movie due to reactions to a spoiler, that is just not something that would ever happen on a film like this, altering a film a film due to fanboy reactions online would be disastrous. Lest we forget the reaction has not been universally negative by any means as well.

What you are hoping for does not fit what is feasible. All signs point to Luke being a major presence in Episode VIII anyway.

Ogimachi

This wasn't the script that leaked. It's the shot list. From actual production during shooting. There would not be major script changes at that point. Script is pretty locked well before that piece of production.

He was not spotted coming and going from the set many times. Just on location for the island cave scene (which is described at the end). He was not spotted on location for the Jakku scenes. Nor at the Yavin location shooting. It was notable at the time how Hamill was not being seen well anywhere other than that one day of shooting out on the island during the production leaked photos.

Not to mention they couldn't add any more scenes with Luke. There was not any reshoots done on this film by the first unit. Production already wrapped before that leak hit, and no major reshoots were done for the film. Not to mention they wouldn't revamp the whole movie due to reactions to a spoiler, that is just not something that would ever happen on a film like this, altering a film a film due to fanboy reactions online would be disastrous. Lest we forget the reaction has not been universally negative by any means.

What you are hoping for does not fit what is feasible.
You're probably right, but even the original article questions the fact he was on set a lot despite his minor role. That's not weird on its own, but his voice over and the amount of promotional stuff he's been doing would usually suggest he's not in a single scene.

As for the feedback, I meant internal, not something related to the leaks.

Top Bottom